What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (12 Viewers)

Any chance this is just one huge coordinated ploy by both companies to get people feeling emotional about Spiderman so they head to the theater and plunk down another hard-earned $20 to see him in the MCU one last time with a brand new action sequence to boot? Squeeze that orange for all it's worth? Am I too cynical?

Money isn't everything. For guys like that that already have hundreds of millions, personal respect goes a longer way. 
It's pretty rich she describes all of this as her father's creation.  Stan was always good about claiming all the credit, seems like his daughter isn't far off from that.

As it's finally out on disc, I finally watched Endgame last night.  Still processing everything - was very good, but I'm not sure I can say at this point "great".  What were other's generally thoughts within the first 24 hours of watching it?

I mean, it did a good job of bringing back a lot of nostalgia, had some funny lines and all, great action scene at the end - but no real feeling of "wow, that was amazing"....yet. 

It's pretty rich she describes all of this as her father's creation.  Stan was always good about claiming all the credit, seems like his daughter isn't far off from that.
Well he did create Spiderman with Ditko and F4 with Kirby. So he kind of does have some claim to those properties. 

As it's finally out on disc, I finally watched Endgame last night.  Still processing everything - was very good, but I'm not sure I can say at this point "great".  What were other's generally thoughts within the first 24 hours of watching it?

I mean, it did a good job of bringing back a lot of nostalgia, had some funny lines and all, great action scene at the end - but no real feeling of "wow, that was amazing"....yet. 
I agree. End game was a great final chapter to wrap up the decade long storyline but as a stand alone movie it has a pretty weak plot. Infinity War was a lot better. Still End game was a satisfying end to the current MCU.

Insein said:
I agree. End game was a great final chapter to wrap up the decade long storyline but as a stand alone movie it has a pretty weak plot. Infinity War was a lot better. Still End game was a satisfying end to the current MCU.
I saw Endgame twice in the theater and once last weekend on disc.  Been feeling the same way.  Infinity War has become one of my favorite MCU movies.  Endgame was good (top half) and I loved the final fight scene esp after "On your left".  And it was a good ending to the arc overall.  

But I can't help feeling like it should have been better?

I've come to the conclusion that Disney and Sony owe the fans to have Spiderman in the MCU. The relationship needs to be symbiotic in nature. Marvel saved Spiderman's reputation due to Sony's crap. Marvel needs Spiderman due to the role they developed for him. Sony needs to have Spiderman in the MCU because they have shown to be crap with the character. If Spiderman is out, then I'm out. The only Sony product I will buy may be the new Playstation so I can play The Last of Us: Part 2. Disney... bye.

Sounds as if Marvel Studios will be able to produce Homecoming 3 and one additional movie for a Spider-man appearance.  Most likely Avengers 5.  They also left the door open for additional film s by the sound of it.

It'd be awesome if they could have a Venom crossover.  If Sony and Marvel Studios could tag team on a Maximum Carnage movie oh hot damn!

Sounds as if Marvel Studios will be able to produce Homecoming 3 and one additional movie for a Spider-man appearance.  Most likely Avengers 5.  They also left the door open for additional film s by the sound of it.

It'd be awesome if they could have a Venom crossover.  If Sony and Marvel Studios could tag team on a Maximum Carnage movie oh hot damn!
It would be awesome to see Venom and all of the symbiotes done right.

It's all a negotiation anyway. Read today that Sony didn't specifically say Spiderman was out of the MCU. Just the Feige would not produce anymore solo Spiderman films. Disney pulled the weak tactic of putting out to their media controlled outlets to try to make Sony bend over and accept their deal. 

My guess is they meet somewhere at a more reasonable nu ber and this was all just non story.
Yep. 

Just watched Dark Phoenix and was very disappointed, loved all the other first class movies but this seemed like writing and plot was just crappy. Anyone else feel this way? 

Last edited by a moderator:
ffmail4me said:
Just watched Dark Phoenix and was very disappointed, loved all the other first class movies but this seemed like writing and plot was just crappy. Anyone else feel this way? 
Still haven't seen it. 

My 16yo, with whom I've seen every MCU movie and most x men, has zero desire to see it. Not even as a rental. I'd see it if he wanted to, but will probably just wait for it on Disney+ at this point.

We haven't seen venom either. 

I thought Venom kinda sucked, but of course I bought it on blu ray like I do every Marvel movie...well, except the FF reboot...I knew better there (and still haven't seen it) 

Disagree. Venom was entertaining. 
I think it was entertaining, but still didn't care for the storyline.  Felt a little forced to me.  I'm not in a big hurry to watch it again, nor will I be first in line if/when a sequel comes out.

I fly cross country about once a month so caught it on a flight a few weeks ago.  Not sure when I would have watched it otherwise, same goes for Shazam which I watched on the flight back.  Both were disappointing, but good enough to take up a couple of hours while I’m stuck in an airplane seat  

I’ve had Venom on the iPad for a couple of months now, will probably get to it on the next flight. 

I missed Far From Home in the theater so just finally watched that one today, have had to stay out of the thread until now.  I enjoyed it, laughed out loud a few times, but the whole Mysterio thing really pushed the limits of suspending disbelief, even for a superhero movie. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Widow has finished filming.

Looks like the movie will be set shortly after Civil War.

Feige said if the film works, it should act like Better Call Saul, where it can both stand on its own and provide back story that we were not aware of.

Also due to its time frame in the MCU, Robert Downey Jr is rumored to have a small role in the movie as Tony Stark.

Tony Stark is alive.

It was on Reddit but the thought is that Tony Stark put himself into an computer type program. Think Ultron. Think Jarvis. Maybe in the five years Tony Stark put his intelligence into a holographic type (Obi-Wan) being. The thought came from the end of Endgame as he was making eye-contact with the people in the room while, seemingly, making eye-contact with his daughter Morgan even though the hologram had been "taped" much earlier. Apparently there is precedence in the comics as well. Or, think of his dad's statements about how he, Howard, was prevented from making the new element due to his time... the technology hadn't been invented yet. Maybe Peter, or Morgan, break through new technology to see/bring back Tony Stark's consciousness... or maybe it will be the Fantastic Four... or Professor X.

This would be one hell of a surprise in the next Spider-Man movie or something when Peter boots up some Stark technology and RDJ's voice begins talking to him.

Completed mailed in performance by everyone. The writers, directors, actors, promotion team. They knew Disney was buying mid way through production. It's like they just gave up on giving AF

Tony Stark is alive.

It was on Reddit but the thought is that Tony Stark put himself into an computer type program. Think Ultron. Think Jarvis. Maybe in the five years Tony Stark put his intelligence into a holographic type (Obi-Wan) being. The thought came from the end of Endgame as he was making eye-contact with the people in the room while, seemingly, making eye-contact with his daughter Morgan even though the hologram had been "taped" much earlier. Apparently there is precedence in the comics as well. Or, think of his dad's statements about how he, Howard, was prevented from making the new element due to his time... the technology hadn't been invented yet. Maybe Peter, or Morgan, break through new technology to see/bring back Tony Stark's consciousness... or maybe it will be the Fantastic Four... or Professor X.

This would be one hell of a surprise in the next Spider-Man movie or something when Peter boots up some Stark technology and RDJ's voice begins talking to him.
I’d hate that. What’s the point of these movies if there never is any finality. 

Why are First Class, Days of Future Past, And Logan so good, but Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix such abominations?  They really messed up what could have been a satisfactory storyline. 

Why are First Class, Days of Future Past, And Logan so good, but Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix such abominations?  They really messed up what could have been a satisfactory storyline. 
My best guess is that they did not have consistent strong leadership like the MCU has to keep the oversight in place.  The writing in particular was extremely inconsistent.

The worst movie in the series was The Last Stand, written by Simon Kinberg

The second worst movie in the series was Dark Phoenix directed by Simon Kinberg.

This is not a coincidence.

My best guess is that they did not have consistent strong leadership like the MCU has to keep the oversight in place.  The writing in particular was extremely inconsistent.

The worst movie in the series was The Last Stand, written by Simon Kinberg

The second worst movie in the series was Dark Phoenix directed by Simon Kinberg.

This is not a coincidence.
And aren’t they both about Phoenix?!

Users who are viewing this thread