What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (3 Viewers)

So you wrote this:

How exactly is it a stretch that someone with mind control can make someone see what she wants them to see? To me that is the shortest suspension of disbelief of any super hero ever. 
How does making someone see what she wants them to see translate to warping reality?

Monica originally went by Captain Marvel, until Carol Danvers returned.  Then she went by Photon, and finally ended on Spectrum.  As noted, her mom's call sign was Photon, so odds are she will just go with Spectrum once her powers are revealed.  

Info on Monica/Spectrum's powers: Due to bombardment by extra-dimensional energies, Monica can transform herself into any form of energy within the electromagnetic spectrum. Among the many energy forms, she has assumed and is able to control are gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet radiation, visible light, electricity, infrared radiation, microwaves, and radio waves.
More support for the Wandavision FF origin tie-in, if Monica just gained her powers through entering and exiting Westview.

Last edited by a moderator:
More support for the Wandavision FF origin tie-in, if Monica just gained her powers through entering and exiting Westview.
The opportunity is there, but I'm really hoping they don't bring the FF in with WandaVision.  I've heard/read speculation where the FF will be introduced in the next Antman/Wasp movie (QuantaMania) where the FF was stuck in the Microverse/Quantam Realm and gained their powers there.  I like that idea a lot more than introducing with Wanda.  Using the Microverse/Quantam Realm, they can also bring in Kang and build a pretty unique storyline there as well.

With Monica being a SWORD "astronaut", and knowing that there is a SWORD space station which Fury and Skrulls are on (end credits of SM FFH), then I would think Monica's "astro-physicist" is most likely another SWORD member.  Abigail Brand?  

With Monica being a SWORD "astronaut", and knowing that there is a SWORD space station which Fury and Skrulls are on (end credits of SM FFH), then I would think Monica's "astro-physicist" is most likely another SWORD member.  Abigail Brand?  
Getting back to that wild-hair theory that the "aerospace engineer" is Talos' unnamed daughter from Captain Marvel -- the little Skrull girl that Monica was playing Uno with. The theory is that introducing the Talos' daughter character (as an adult, and with a name) in WandaVision is a lead-in to the Disney+ Marvel Secret Invasion series now in development.

I rewatched the Spiderman: Far From Home credits scenes to see if Talos' daughter (or a Skrull that could maybe be her) appeared. The scene when Talos and the female Skrull are riding in a car and then remove their Agent Coulson and Agent Hill disguises ... that was Talos' wife, right, not his daughter? Or do we not know?

None of the brief credits scene of Nick Fury in the Skrull station show any Skrulls close up enough to make note of. Just background out-of-focus players.

I like it!  Forgot about the daughter.

I rewatched the Spiderman: Far From Home credits scenes to see if Talos' daughter (or a Skrull that could maybe be her) appeared. The scene when Talos and the female Skrull are riding in a car and then remove their Agent Coulson and Agent Hill disguises ... that was Talos' wife, right, not his daughter? Or do we not know?
My understanding is that was Talos' wife posing as Maria Hill.

I know I'm not the Marvel geek that others on the internet are, but I kind of view the decision to make this Talos' daughter when they have Reed Richards sitting out there as kind of a let down, akin to what Mandalorian would have been had they gone with Cal Kestus or whatever at the end of the latest season.  You had to go with second stringers when you didn't have the property rights, and you did a great job working with what you had.  But now that you do have the rights, you need to use your big guns imo and give the people what they want.

They're never going to be able to sustain the universe with second string building blocks.  They need to establish more franchises before they start filling in the details.  If they lose the audience, they lose the funding, and I'd think the whole thing falls apart.

I know I'm not the Marvel geek that others on the internet are, but I kind of view the decision to make this Talos' daughter when they have Reed Richards sitting out there as kind of a let down ...
Can't say I disagree ... but Marvel has built up so much credit, they'd have to bumble for a while before fans start tuning out. Kevin Feige can take some risks.

But really ... there are so many theories just for this 'aerospace engineer' thing already out there. The first articles about it went up the same day WandaVision episode 5 was released. All that 'nerd buzz' is exactly what Disney wants to cultivate. There will probably be some similar "who/what do they mean?!?" thing from the next episode, too.

I totally agree, and Feige deserves to do whatever he wants, and gets all the benefit of the doubt.  But there's no question in my mind that they're walking a razor thin line here.

Marvel was not built on Abigail Brand vs. Talos' daughter.  Marvel was built on Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, the X-Men.  Arguably, the Abigail Brands and Talos' daughters of the world watered down the Marvel comics universe to a place where they needed saving.  Even in the small screen episodic world, when we're talking $25M an episode budgets, they can't have the luxury of developing the depth and breadth that a much easier to mass produce, monthly series has.

This doesn't even bring into the discussion their problem with lack of neighborhood super heros.  Not everything can be about the end of the world, right?

Regarding Evan Peters' Quicksilver.  I watched his scenes from Days of Future Past this weekend - great character, but was only in the movie for about 20 minutes or so and had just the one very memorable "Time in a Bottle" scene.  I see he was also in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.  I've heard those are both terrible movies. Does anyone think they are worth watching to get the full picture of this character?
I think Apocalypse gives you a little bit more of his character as he has a little bit of interaction with his father Magneto. Also a scene similar to "Time in a Bottle" when the School blows up. Also, I enjoyed Apocalypse more than Phoenix. I thought Phoenix was the worst of the X-men movies.

Can't say I disagree ... but Marvel has built up so much credit, they'd have to bumble for a while before fans start tuning out. Kevin Feige can take some risks.

But really ... there are so many theories just for this 'aerospace engineer' thing already out there. The first articles about it went up the same day WandaVision episode 5 was released. All that 'nerd buzz' is exactly what Disney wants to cultivate. There will probably be some similar "who/what do they mean?!?" thing from the next episode, too.
The basics of good television!

Marvel was built on Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, the X-Men.
Regardless of what happens in WandaVision ... the Fantastic Four are coming to the MCU in film:

As WandaVision brings the Marvel Cinematic Universe to Disney Plus, you might be wondering about upcoming movies. We've known the Fantastic Four are coming to MCU since Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige name-checked the superteam at San Diego Comic-Con 2019 after Marvel parent company Disney got the rights in its Fox takeover.

Then Feige dropped a major update during last December's Disney Plus event -- the studio is making a new Fantastic Four movie, and it'll be helmed by Jon Watts (director of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Far From Home and their upcoming sequel).

Regardless of what happens in WandaVision ... the Fantastic Four are coming to the MCU in film:
This is why I think Reed won't be introduced in WandaVision.  The FF is a big name, a big draw.  They'll want to introduce them on a grand stage, not on an episodic series that will only be available for a single season on Disney+.  Feige will want to bring in the theater dollars when it's all said and done.  I'll lean more to the D+ shows bringing in the second tier characters and stories, such as She-Hulk, SWORD, Moon Knight, etc.  All good names with good stories, but not big enough to headline their own movie.

I totally agree, and Feige deserves to do whatever he wants, and gets all the benefit of the doubt.  But there's no question in my mind that they're walking a razor thin line here.

Marvel was not built on Abigail Brand vs. Talos' daughter.  Marvel was built on Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, the X-Men.  Arguably, the Abigail Brands and Talos' daughters of the world watered down the Marvel comics universe to a place where they needed saving.  Even in the small screen episodic world, when we're talking $25M an episode budgets, they can't have the luxury of developing the depth and breadth that a much easier to mass produce, monthly series has.

This doesn't even bring into the discussion their problem with lack of neighborhood super heros.  Not everything can be about the end of the world, right?

Totally shoots down my theory that the aerospace engineer reveal will bring back Howard the Duck.

Regarding Evan Peters' Quicksilver.  I watched his scenes from Days of Future Past this weekend - great character, but was only in the movie for about 20 minutes or so and had just the one very memorable "Time in a Bottle" scene.  I see he was also in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.  I've heard those are both terrible movies. Does anyone think they are worth watching to get the full picture of this character?
i liked Apocalypse.  Dark Phoenix is hot garbage

So what is up with the test on Rambeau that came up blank? I'm not seeing much on that on the easter egg videos. Admittedly I've only watched one. 
I mentioned it in my too long writeup a few posts above when you posted :)  

In the comics she is Photon, which was also her fighter tag name.  She is made up of light, so that is why the scans came back blank (at least if they are tying it to the comics).

No.  The time in a bottle scene is what made him stand out.  Apocalypse was not good and Dark Phoenix was downright bad.

I'm holding out hope that the aerospace engineer will be Victor Von Doom.  Would be a cool way to introduce him and still leaves the F4 to make a debut on the big screen.

Uh, reality is what we see? If she wants them to see spiders crawling up their arm, then in their reality there are spiders crawling up their arm. 
Look, I'm an existentialist.  Philosophically, I am with you.  But reality is not what we see.  Our reality is what we see.  Reality exists objectively outside of our own perception.  I'm pretty sure Marvel powers that be see it that way too.  You can't really talk about multiverses without objective reality, can you?

Look, I'm an existentialist.  Philosophically, I am with you.  But reality is not what we see.  Our reality is what we see.  Reality exists objectively outside of our own perception.  I'm pretty sure Marvel powers that be see it that way too.  You can't really talk about multiverses without objective reality, can you?
Let me put it another way:  how does her ability to make someone see spiders crawling up their arms translate to a physicist's ability to measure an electromagnetic field around the town she's in?

I'm holding out hope that the aerospace engineer will be Victor Von Doom.
Hmmm ... he could be the WandaVision big bad, as well. He was close to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme himself in the comics, so reality-warping could be in Doctor Doom's MCU wheelhouse.

One small hiccup, though -- nothing in Monica's (admittedly very limited) MCU background hints at her knowing Victor Von Doom. Probably something the writers could work around, though.

Let me put it another way:  how does her ability to make someone see spiders crawling up their arms translate to a physicist's ability to measure an electromagnetic field around the town she's in?
I've watched a couple of those Easter Egg YouYube things. Evidently the Scarlet Witch powers changed over the years in the comics. From illusions to being able to create stuff. I believe that Darcy had some 4 letter acronym for the radiation in the town. That's the same radiation they say was present at the Big Bang. Creation on a grand scale there and evidently Wanda has that ability too (which I believe will allow Vision and the two kids to leave the bubble and live). I'm guessing in the comics they had a better way of explaining how she went from one to the other. And maybe we will see that more here. I believe the Director of SWORD said something like, "Wait, we've never seen her display those sorts of powers or abilities before," when Agent Woo was debriefing everyone. So maybe they are simply following that arc from the comics and we haven't gotten the rest of the explanation. Considering how slow they roll this (the first two episodes seem like a lifetime ago), I'm guessing they won't move this along quickly. 

And that's perfectly fine with me. This stuff is so well acted, written, produced, CGI'd, Easter Egged, etc that my belief is in full suspension. And I wasn't feeling strong about this one. I tried to watch the Marvel show about the alcoholic super hero and kept cringing every time they showed her with hard liquor in the morning. 🤢🤮. And the Luke Cage one didn't grab me in the first couple episodes. I think Shield deserves a watch though. I think I'll queue that up. 

TheFanatic said:
I've watched a couple of those Easter Egg YouYube things. Evidently the Scarlet Witch powers changed over the years in the comics. From illusions to being able to create stuff. I believe that Darcy had some 4 letter acronym for the radiation in the town. That's the same radiation they say was present at the Big Bang. Creation on a grand scale there and evidently Wanda has that ability too (which I believe will allow Vision and the two kids to leave the bubble and live). I'm guessing in the comics they had a better way of explaining how she went from one to the other. And maybe we will see that more here. I believe the Director of SWORD said something like, "Wait, we've never seen her display those sorts of powers or abilities before," when Agent Woo was debriefing everyone. So maybe they are simply following that arc from the comics and we haven't gotten the rest of the explanation. Considering how slow they roll this (the first two episodes seem like a lifetime ago), I'm guessing they won't move this along quickly. 

And that's perfectly fine with me. This stuff is so well acted, written, produced, CGI'd, Easter Egged, etc that my belief is in full suspension. And I wasn't feeling strong about this one. I tried to watch the Marvel show about the alcoholic super hero and kept cringing every time they showed her with hard liquor in the morning. 🤢🤮. And the Luke Cage one didn't grab me in the first couple episodes. I think Shield deserves a watch though. I think I'll queue that up. 
I thoroughly enjoyed AoS, and they'll be hard pressed to synergize the TV with the movies the way that they did when Winter Soldier was released.  That was awesome sauce - the episode one week led into the movie release weekend, and the episode the following week dealt with the aftermath of the events of the movie.

TheFanatic said:

Jessica Jones was really good, particularly the first season with the villain.  Season 2 was not as good but the third I thought was a strong bounce back.  The first half of Luke Cage was good, again mainly due to the villain, but then tails off.  Second season was just ok.

I enjoyed AoS and think we will see some characters from there re-appear in the MCU in the future.

TheFanatic said:
I tried to watch the Marvel show about the alcoholic super hero and kept cringing every time they showed her with hard liquor in the morning. 🤢🤮. And the Luke Cage one didn't grab me in the first couple episodes. I think Shield deserves a watch though. I think I'll queue that up.
I liked Jessica Jones S1 only b/c of David Tennant (the villian) in the show.  He did a great job.  Overall, I haven't liked the JJ series too much.  S1 of Luke Cage was good, but went downhill after that, IMO.  I really liked what they did with Daredevil, Punisher, and Kingpin.  I didn't mind Iron Fist.  S1 took too long to develop the characters, which I think stalled the show.

AoS was a great show.  It got campy the last couple of seasons, but I still enjoyed the ride.

I enjoyed AoS and think we will see some characters from there re-appear in the MCU in the future.
There's talk of bring Daisy back for the SWORD series on D+.  Possibly Coulson as well.  Should be a good show, if true.  Their chemistry was great throughout the AoS series.

I liked Jessica Jones S1 only b/c of David Tennant (the villian) in the show.  He did a great job.  Overall, I haven't liked the JJ series too much.  S1 of Luke Cage was good, but went downhill after that, IMO.  I really liked what they did with Daredevil, Punisher, and Kingpin.  I didn't mind Iron Fist.  S1 took too long to develop the characters, which I think stalled the show.

AoS was a great show.  It got campy the last couple of seasons, but I still enjoyed the ride.

There's talk of bring Daisy back for the SWORD series on D+.  Possibly Coulson as well.  Should be a good show, if true.  Their chemistry was great throughout the AoS series.
Coulson and May are both great characters.  Heck, Fitz and Simmons too.

Ming Na Wen should be in everything that requires a bad ### chick, come to think of it.

i thought the guy who was iron fish may have been the worst actor to ever be on a screen of any type but conversetuitively i thought the guy who was punisher was one hell of an actor and made that show launch to the moon of greatness from down under take that to the bank bromigos 

i thought the guy who was iron fish may have been the worst actor to ever be on a screen of any type but conversetuitively i thought the guy who was punisher was one hell of an actor and made that show launch to the moon of greatness from down under take that to the bank bromigos 
Coincidentally, I have just rewatched the Punisher over the last few weeks.

Jon Bernthal is Frank Castle.  The series gets a little silly with the plot lines in season 2, but he nails the character in every episode.

Loved the punisher.   Did you ever see Jon in the first two seasons of walking dead? He was great

Jayrod said:
Coincidentally, I have just rewatched the Punisher over the last few weeks.

Jon Bernthal is Frank Castle.  The series gets a little silly with the plot lines in season 2, but he nails the character in every episode.

need2know said:
Loved the punisher.   Did you ever see Jon in the first two seasons of walking dead? He was great
Other than Daredevil, they really need to bring him back too.  He was so great as the character and as far as I can tell he absolutely loved playing Castle.

D'Onofrio should come back as Kingpin. He was excellent in that role. Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal and Vincient D'onofrio should all come back IMO.
Krysten Ritter (JJ) and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) were also excellent casting choices imo.  The writing on all of these shows - all of them - was sub par.  I'd love to see what Feige and co. could do with the above actors and characters and their writing and effects crews.

Donofrio....above all else, needs to be back as Kingpin.  No better casting that him getting that role.  He was amazing as Wilson Fisk....he also loves to play the character.

Krysten Ritter (JJ) and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) were also excellent casting choices imo.  The writing on all of these shows - all of them - was sub par.  I'd love to see what Feige and co. could do with the above actors and characters and their writing and effects crews.
They were really good but not at the level of Cox, Brenthal and D'Onofrio IMO. I think those three should all be coming back, and honestly Ritter has been rumored to be coming back as well and Cox and Brenthal. I just really hope they bring D'Onofrio back, he would be great for both the big screen and small screen.

Episode 6, Malcolm in the Middle and #### has officially hit the fan.  

every episode just keeps getting better.
Just finished watching, was pissed it was over. 

I haven’t watched the punisher series, but I did see a YouTube vid  where they were interviewing a stuntman and showed some good/bad sequences. For example, when Rey and Kylo battle the red guard, you can see the red guys doing extra spins and movements while they wait for daisy ridley to finish turning or get into position. Punisher was an example of how it is done well, and I was really impressed....I’ll see if I can find it quick.

Excellent.  I really want to know how Peter got there and what he understands.  

Also was the scene with Agnes “real” or a swerve?  

I am really enjoying this. 

AcerFC said:
Agreed on all accounts. It has now become the first show I can remember in a long time where I can not wait to watch it. I actually like waiting the week and digesting it
Yep

My Friday tradition now is to jump on my bike trainer first thing and watch it. (Then turn on music for the rest of the workout)

I see all these posts in the morning but I can't read them!  Son will be home from college this afternoon and will watch then.  Hope it was as good as the previous.

Users who are viewing this thread