What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

Felt that too. And didn’t get the end. Am I supposed to know who that was?  And it wasn’t like something happened, like a catastrophic event, that the country needed him back. 
It is a character from the comics.  Stop reading here if you haven't seen the episode.

Essentially, the dude who made the announcement talked Sam into giving up the shield saying that it was a symbol for the country. Then a very short while later, the very same dude introduces the new Captain America (complete with the shield). The inference, particularly after Sam gets shot down for a loan, is this guy wanted a Captain America who was controllable, and probably looked like the old one. I think we will see more class struggle and racial strife in this series.

It is a character from the comics.  Stop reading here if you haven't seen the episode.

Essentially, the dude who made the announcement talked Sam into giving up the shield saying that it was a symbol for the country. Then a very short while later, the very same dude introduces the new Captain America (complete with the shield). The inference, particularly after Sam gets shot down for a loan, is this guy wanted a Captain America who was controllable, and probably looked like the old one. I think we will see more class struggle and racial strife in this series.
I agree. I expect it to be well done too. However I wasn't really expecting something this heavy. 

Bucky's PTSD issues aren't going to be light and breezy either. 

Fair, but I was expecting more of a bubble copy vide between him and Sam, where he is the crusty old guy. Not the coming to terms with murdering my friend's son vibe.
Based off the first episode this isn't going to be a bubble ride. Winter Soldier is a dark character.  Sam finding things aren't rosey for those who returned. The back stab at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcon is such a cool character. I just hope they don't make him into captain america. He should stay the falcon and if anyone needs to be there new cap, maker it bucky in the end.

But really just let cap go and make sebastian stan be Luke Skywalker forming his jedi academy and redeeming then marrying Mara Jade imo. 

Wasn't the guy at the end the same guy who had the bags of money earlier?

Wasn't the guy at the end the same guy who had the bags of money earlier?
Are you talking about the Flag Smasher that kicked the crap out of Torres?  I don't think so but I guess it could be, although that guy seemed to have longer hair and the new Captain America is more clean cut (it is Kurt Russell's son I believe btw).

I thought he was supposed to be somebody but I guess they're going with the "America doesn't want a black Captain America but needs a white one" angle
This is what I think as well.

Review I read which is usually a knowledgeable person said the new Captain was somebody we didn’t know yet. 

Review I read which is usually a knowledgeable person said the new Captain was somebody we didn’t know yet. 
New to the MCU but not to the comics.  Even though they didn't name him, I knew Kurt Russell's son was supposed to be in it, and he's listed as John Walker in the credits.  John Walker was Captain America for awhile in the comics when Cap grew disillusioned with the US Government.  Walker later became US Agent. He's not really a bad guy in the comics, he's just more controllable and ends up being their lackey.  He did look to Steve Rogers as a hero but has a temper and is not as bright as Cap.  It'll be interesting to see if the show puts him as a full on villain, or just someone who is misguided.

I’d say it was okay.  It is nice to see some character development.  The whole “how do super heroes make a living” was something I’d never thought about.  I do find WS to be more interesting as well as his story so far.  Never cared much for Falcon as a character.  Some dude with wings that flies around; boring.  Maybe the show can change that for me. 

I love a good human story that is written and acted well and I love superhero/action stuff.  The MCU is doing a great job of marrying that.

The emotional and psychological struggles are very well done so far between Wandavision and the start of F&WS. Bucky's story reminds me a lot of Jason Bourne.

Slow start, setting some backstory and character devy. Definitely a different look then WandaVision.  

Nice to see Balroc back from Winter Soldier.  Love how they bring people in like that, one of my favorite things about the MCU. 

I'm looking forward to the next episodes for sure.  

Slow start, setting some backstory and character devy. Definitely a different look then WandaVision.  

Nice to see Balroc back from Winter Soldier.  Love how they bring people in like that, one of my favorite things about the MCU. 

I'm looking forward to the next episodes for sure.  
Going forward, Batroc should get his ### kicked/plan foiled in EVERY Marvel show/movie.  Just make him a bad guy punching bag in the MCU.  

Felt that too. And didn’t get the end. Am I supposed to know who that was?  And it wasn’t like something happened, like a catastrophic event, that the country needed him back. 
They're a few months after Endgame.   Half the world's population disappeared and came back five years later, throwing a grieving world into chaos.  An alien army attacked again.  Iron Man and Captain America are gone.  And a few weeks later a little town called Westview got taken over by a PTSD Scarlet Witch, who may now be one of the post powerful people in the universe.

Nothing catastrophic, though.

They're a few months after Endgame.   Half the world's population disappeared and came back five years later, throwing a grieving world into chaos.  An alien army attacked again.  Iron Man and Captain America are gone.  And a few weeks later a little town called Westview got taken over by a PTSD Scarlet Witch, who may now be one of the post powerful people in the universe.

Nothing catastrophic, though.
But they still had Captain America still 6 months prior.  Not sure where this is relative to WandaVision.  The rest of the world didn't feel the Endgame final battle -- just everyone coming back from the blip. Just seemed that this was wedged into the end of the episode awkwardly.  

But they still had Captain America still 6 months prior.  Not sure where this is relative to WandaVision.  The rest of the world didn't feel the Endgame final battle -- just everyone coming back from the blip. Just seemed that this was wedged into the end of the episode awkwardly.  
Agreed

Earlier in the episode, the shield was donated to the Smithsonian and just a short while later we needed a symbol of hope. I had expected some kind of attack happened in between.

Wandavision was a few weeks after Endgame.  This is a few months later (Sam says so).   They  just opened the tribute to Cap at the Smithsonian.   The fact that he was around 6 months earlier has nothing to do with it.  He literally just helped save the world and now he's gone.   

Everyone knows what happened in the Endgame battle.  They established that in Wandavision.  

Agreed

Earlier in the episode, the shield was donated to the Smithsonian and just a short while later we needed a symbol of hope. I had expected some kind of attack happened in between.
I assumed the point was that this was a political decision, and that it's necessity was arguable at best.  It shows how Sam was manipulated into donating the shield when there were ulterior motives.

I really need to cave and get some reading glasses. I mistead the title as “Falcon and Winter Soldier Now Showering” and thought well now, this has certainly taken a unexpected turn.

Interesting that there was very little actual “death” in Wandavision, but the body count in the opening scene piled up quickly.  It was like GI Joe cartoons, except the Cobra guys don’t jump out of the helicopter right before the missile hits.

I had to stay out of this thread until I finished Wanda Vision. Curious how @Maurile Tremblay is doing on his Marvel viewing party.
I've determined that the MCU movies aren't really my jam.

My brief reviews:

The Avengers: Fun movie. A bit too long, a bit light on meaningful plot, a bit too much emphasis on special effects, but on the whole it was entertaining. I don't regret watching it.

Winter Soldier: Good movie. Well written. The action sequences were too long, but at least they had gravity due to an interesting plot.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This was my favorite MCU movie. It was lighthearted with a fast pace; the humor was great; the characters were fun. No complaints about this one.

Civil War: Things started to slow down here. Spider-Man was the best part. There was plenty of action, but non-stop action gets boring for me. There was some good humor, but less than in Guardians. I'd give it a pretty average grade.

Infinity War: The series lost me here. It was way too long. There were more characters than an abbreviated plot could handle, and the plot was abbreviated because the screen-time was dominated by special effects. I think I hate CGI now.

Endgame: I was initially slated to watch this a couple weeks ago, but I didn't feel like it. I'm not going to force it. I'll probably watch it at some point, but not until I'm in the mood for it. I don't know when that will be; I just feel like I need a break from superheroes for a while.

My brief reviews:

The Avengers: Fun movie. A bit too long, a bit light on meaningful plot, a bit too much emphasis on special effects, but on the whole it was entertaining. I don't regret watching it.

Winter Soldier: Good movie. Well written. The action sequences were too long, but at least they had gravity due to an interesting plot.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This was my favorite MCU movie. It was lighthearted with a fast pace; the humor was great; the characters were fun. No complaints about this one.

Civil War: Things started to slow down here. Spider-Man was the best part. There was plenty of action, but non-stop action gets boring for me. There was some good humor, but less than in Guardians. I'd give it a pretty average grade.

Infinity War: The series lost me here. It was way too long. There were more characters than an abbreviated plot could handle, and the plot was abbreviated because the screen-time was dominated by special effects. I think I hate CGI now.

Endgame: I was initially slated to watch this a couple weeks ago, but I didn't feel like it. I'm not going to force it. I'll probably watch it at some point, but not until I'm in the mood for it. I don't know when that will be; I just feel like I need a break from superheroes for a while.
It doesn't surprise me that when you are approaching Marvel movies by ignoring probably Marvel's biggest strength (character development), you are having trouble getting engaged in the crossover movies.  Even Winter Soldier was something of a crossover movie.  The only one listed above that is a true character development movie is the one you mentioned liking the most.  The rest are "events" that are meant to be enjoyed once you've already invested in and understand the prior development of several of the major characters.

It doesn't surprise me that when you are approaching Marvel movies by ignoring probably Marvel's biggest strength (character development), you are having trouble getting engaged in the crossover movies.  Even Winter Soldier was something of a crossover movie.  The only one listed above that is a true character development movie is the one you mentioned liking the most.  The rest are "events" that are meant to be enjoyed once you've already invested in and understand the prior development of several of the major characters.
This.

Complaining about there being not enough time for all the characters after ignoring the movies that introduced those characters seems counter-productive 

It is what it is. Many people expect any individual movie to stand on its own and I can't totally blame someone who isn't super into the source material for not wanting to watch 50+ hours worth of movies to get to the big payoff. 

Maurile Tremblay said:

My brief reviews:

To each their own.  I'm not surprised that Guardians of the Galaxy was your favorite because 1. it is awesome but 2. it is their origin story.  All the others you listed most all of the major players had their set up stories and these were culmination events.  Lots of things in there that you wouldn't necessarily recognize as a callback to a prior movie.

It's a daunting task to devote huge amounts of time to watch them in order, particularly if you aren't really inclined to watch superhero movies, but it is really the best way (IMO) to consume these.  Having the benefit of watching them over a 10 year period and having anticipation build up is part of the enjoyment, rather than just binging it from beginning to end.

if i was a superhero and needed some dinero i would just go on the old speaking circuit and collect 1000 bucks a plate for rich guys to hear me make bad jokes and tell stories about battles of yore and fat thor and stuff take that to the bank bromigos 

I was blown away at how good WandaVision was.  Excellent and easily my favorite series from MCU - but that’s not saying much as I haven’t watched many.  I think I’ve seen some “watch the shows/movies in this order” posts or links.  Can anybody suggest a good one?  I’d like to watch some more but no clue where to go next.

To each their own.  I'm not surprised that Guardians of the Galaxy was your favorite because 1. it is awesome but 2. it is their origin story.  All the others you listed most all of the major players had their set up stories and these were culmination events.  Lots of things in there that you wouldn't necessarily recognize as a callback to a prior movie.

It's a daunting task to devote huge amounts of time to watch them in order, particularly if you aren't really inclined to watch superhero movies, but it is really the best way (IMO) to consume these.  Having the benefit of watching them over a 10 year period and having anticipation build up is part of the enjoyment, rather than just binging it from beginning to end.
This - tell me how to do this.

I was blown away at how good WandaVision was.  Excellent and easily my favorite series from MCU - but that’s not saying much as I haven’t watched many.  I think I’ve seen some “watch the shows/movies in this order” posts or links.  Can anybody suggest a good one?  I’d like to watch some more but no clue where to go next.
If you want to watch them all and do it in a chronological timeline, Disney+ has a sorting option that will show them all in a timeline correct order.

Maurile Tremblay said:

My brief reviews:

If you liked guardians you would love thor raganarok 

This - tell me how to do this.
So here is a website that has both philosophies (watching it in release order or chronological order).  My strong preference is watching it in release order, so you'll have an experience that is closer to the one that we did as we watched it live. Of course you can't replicate it completely because so much of what was unknown to us at the time is now in the mainstream.  Also, for movies like Captain Marvel (which is one of the more recent movies but is second chronologically) they make some references to other films as an attempt to "foreshadow", but the foreshadows are so subtle I'm not sure that it is as easy to pick up on in the later films (whereas when we watched it, we knew the big thing that happened then noticed a nice easter egg).  Actually as I type it out I suppose it does work both ways, I just strongly prefer release order :)

I can't imagine watching Star Wars in chrono order, but if you can then perhaps that is a good way for you to view it.

For the shows, WandaVision takes place a few weeks after Endgame and FatWS takes place a few months or so afterwards.  The latest Spiderman takes place after both of the shows.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-watch-the-marvel-movies-in-order

Binged Wandavision over the weekend while I wasn't watching hoops.

Overall, really liked it. Based on the previews, I knew I'd probably dislike the first couple of episodes (the whole 50's/60's era was just super cheesey) but told myself to stick with it. Glad I did. Great casting (Hahn is always great) and the story was interesting. Olsen was good (the first time she came out of Westview and turned all the guns on the director was awesome)  and I've always liked Bettany. Will be cool to see what happens with White Vision in the future. (Really wish they had done something to get him a cameo in End Game so that he could have gotten his due in the closing credits)

Certainly been looking forward to Falcon and Winter Soldier (Loki as well) and I wasn't disappointed.  The first fight was great (awesome that they brought GSP back) and great production values all the way through. Very interested to see where it goes. Barnes is one of my favorite characters in the MCU.  Obviously they needed to do some backstory on what both guys have been doing, but the stuff with Falcon's family doesn't really do it for me. So hopefully its not a major focus.

Users who are viewing this thread