What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

Deranged Hermit said:
Saw Black Widow in the theater (first time in over a year) and it was ok. Some really fun scenes,  but nothing to write home about. To be honest, I think Disney pushing it back as many times as it did really hurt it. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. You could easily just save the money and wait to see it on Disney+.
Samesees

Deranged Hermit said:
Saw Black Widow in the theater (first time in over a year) and it was ok. Some really fun scenes,  but nothing to write home about. To be honest, I think Disney pushing it back as many times as it did really hurt it. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. You could easily just save the money and wait to see it on Disney+.
This is a really accurate review.  I'd probably give it a 7 because a 6 out of 10 equates to a D, and I thought it was just OK.  Pugh was great in her role and I think she'll do well in the next phase.  Scarlett has always done well as Black Widow.  Rachel Weisz was good as Milenna and I think she can be brought into the fold.  David Harbour was largely pure comic relief.  They didn't do anything to build his character as someone that could fit into the next phase, so I thought he was under utilized.

The story lagged because there wasn't a good enough villain.  The trailers lead you to believe the villain is going to be Taskmaster, who is pretty incredible in the comics, especially as a foe for a non-superpowered hero.  The real villain is the mysterious man behind the Red Room.  Taskmaster is way under utilized, and they essentially just tell you the plot.  Yes what he did to the girls was horrible, but I thought the point could have been driven home by having more flashbacks to show the audiences how evil he was.  There's a different connection point to the audience when you are told to hate a character, and when you are able to see a character and their actions and develop the animosity on your own.

All in all pretty good, more OK than good though.  Some good humorous lines, some good action scenes.  Will update my rankings in the first post.

Yes, this is the next Marvel series "What if" we were talking about earlier.  Very pumped for it.
Same 

I was that weird kid who bought or borrowed most what if's I could find but didn't fully follow every story line of the "real" comics. It could almost be better than Loki. 

Ok, no. But still should be fun.

Was FatWS pushed back originally to keep the reveal of Valentina in BW? I lost track how many times this thing was delayed.

Was FatWS pushed back originally to keep the reveal of Valentina in BW? I lost track how many times this thing was delayed.
I was wondering which one was supposed to occur first.  With Black Widow originally on the slate for 2020, you have to figure it was supposed to be BW first.  I don't know if they then reshot her scenes in FatWS to give a proper introduction or if that is how it was all along.  I'm leaning towards no reshoots, and her appearance in Black Widow would be a tease setting up Disney+ shows, which is kind of cool.

just got back from BW.  i would have liked to see more about the horror and misery, that it takes to create a BW. but, it's still disney.

thoroughly enjoyable.  really fun to be back in the theatre.  went imax 2d.  there were about 30 people, total, in the theatre.

credit scene was great.  can't wait!

I was wondering which one was supposed to occur first.  With Black Widow originally on the slate for 2020, you have to figure it was supposed to be BW first.  I don't know if they then reshot her scenes in FatWS to give a proper introduction or if that is how it was all along.  I'm leaning towards no reshoots, and her appearance in Black Widow would be a tease setting up Disney+ shows, which is kind of cool.
This was confirmed after she appeared in FatWS back in April, Valentina was to first show up at the end of Black Widow and then the appearance in FatWS. BW was originally scheduled for May 2020 and FatWS for “fall 2020.” No idea if she will show up in Hawkeye but Pugh was confirmed to appear back in December (not a spoiler IMO given the end of credit scene.)

Same 

I was that weird kid who bought or borrowed most what if's I could find but didn't fully follow every story line of the "real" comics. It could almost be better than Loki. 

Ok, no. But still should be fun.
I used to enjoy the book eons ago but the stories are not canon and lost steam cause the story was self contained

the huge delay, in real time, definitely hurts this movie.
You may be right since people have now moved on to the D+ series and are trying to get excited for Shang-Chi and Eternals.  Kind of lost its place and the sentiment of her loss in Endgame.

But I enjoyed it.  Solid mid level entry in the rankings.  Loved some of the easter eggs and the end credit scene.

Biggest disappointment was not getting a Spider-Man trailer as rumored.  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
B Maverick said:
You may be right since people have now moved on to the D+ series and are trying to get excited for Shang-Chi and Eternals.  Kind of lost its place and the sentiment of her loss in Endgame.

But I enjoyed it.  Solid mid level entry in the rankings.  Loved some of the easter eggs and the end credit scene.

Biggest disappointment was not getting a Spider-Man trailer as rumored.  :lmao:
I'm really looking forward to Shang Chi, and really dreading Eternals.  It is the first Marvel movie since the inception of the MCU that I've had serious doubts about.

I'm really looking forward to Shang Chi, and really dreading Eternals.  It is the first Marvel movie since the inception of the MCU that I've had serious doubts about.
I agree to an extent. From what we've seen, Shang-Chi looks good, waiting to see more of the Eternals.

I don't know much about either Shang Chi or Eternals, but I also didn't really know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy.  With Marvel's track record so far, I am in on both, even with the potential the Eternals is no better than the Inhumans.

Really? It was kind of meh for me after enjoying the entire series. Maybe I’m not into the comics enough to understand it. Glad you liked it though. 
By itself, I get that.

But it's building up and I think we start to see how the eternals play in, and obviously MoM.  That's why I liked it so much, what it will bring. 

By itself, I get that.

But it's building up and I think we start to see how the eternals play in, and obviously MoM.  That's why I liked it so much, what it will bring. 
Just seemed like they could do better than just use close to 6 hours as a set up. 

Just seemed like they could do better than just use close to 6 hours as a set up. 
Ok. I throughly enjoyed the season. It wasn't just to set things up. Any more than every MCU movie or TV show has set the next one up.

Had to skip to the reply box at the bottom with my eyes closed so I don't see anything :)   I can't watch (well won't watch) until my son gets home from work later today.  Very excited.

I get how this unleashes the multiverse but the one at the end of time was such an annoying, off putting character, that is made the whole thing feel like a giant let down.  

I will say I don’t know who the character was.  I assume it is supposed to be a Kang variant.  Hopefully his next iteration will be more tolerable. 

Can't believe there's gonna be a season 2. I feel like that came out of nowhere.

I also was disappointed with Kang. He seemed too kooky. Hopefully evil Kang is cool.

I get how this unleashes the multiverse but the one at the end of time was such an annoying, off putting character, that is made the whole thing feel like a giant let down.  

I will say I don’t know who the character was.  I assume it is supposed to be a Kang variant.  Hopefully his next iteration will be more tolerable. 
Yes it was a Kang variant. Kang lived in a citadel, lived in the 31st century, and was called the Conquerer.

I guess this helps explain rumors of multiple Spiderman in the new movie, female Thor, and the Multiverse of Madness. Kang changes the game.

Yes it was a Kang variant. Kang lived in a citadel, lived in the 31st century, and was called the Conquerer.
I’ll be honest and say, as a non-comics guy I was t aware that Kang was human.  I thought he was an alien.  All the cartoon depictions I’d seen he’s the blue guy.  So when this black dude showed up, I was confused.  And the kooky performance was off putting.  

After some hours I will say it makes better sense.  This version survived and probably went a little crazy being by himself for thousands of years.  I am guessing the Kang going forward will be the “normal” evil version.  And blue. 

I’ll be honest and say, as a non-comics guy I was t aware that Kang was human.  I thought he was an alien.  All the cartoon depictions I’d seen he’s the blue guy.  So when this black dude showed up, I was confused.  And the kooky performance was off putting.  

After some hours I will say it makes better sense.  This version survived and probably went a little crazy being by himself for thousands of years.  I am guessing the Kang going forward will be the “normal” evil version.  And blue. 
Yeah i knew the actor who played him so immediately knew it was him but didn't think he'd just be a normal black dude.. I agree evil variant Kang will probably be blue.

:shrug: he's a descendent of Mr fantastic

jobarules said:
Can't believe there's gonna be a season 2. I feel like that came out of nowhere.

I also was disappointed with Kang. He seemed too kooky. Hopefully evil Kang is cool.
There goes your "They don't introduce big people here" :)  

This was my original theory, and I absolutely love it!  This version, the One Who Remains, was a nicer version.  Kang the Conqueror (which they showed his statue at the end of the episode in the TVA) will be ruthless.  They go by different names as he referred to in the episode (Immortus, Rama Tut, etc) but they are all descendants of Reed Richards.

Absolutely loved it!  Sets up the Multiverse of Madness and with the Richards lineage it gives the Fantastic Four an entry point as well.  In a close race I've moved Loki ahead of WandaVision, far ahead of FatWS.  Really looking forward to What If.

As a marvel fan I absolutely loved it, my wife who knows nothing of the comics was completely lost and confused. It definitely felt a little flat with some things left unresolved and the Planet of the Apes-esque ending was very abrupt.

Love that we are getting a season 2, this is the only show confirmed so far for a season 2 IIRC?

-OZ- said:
:shrug: he's a descendent of Mr fantastic
Obviously my comics background is weak. I know Kang only a bit from his intro in the 60s and in that early time it was suggested he may be a descendant of Doom. Obviously more was revealed later if it is actually Reed instead.

So Kang is just a human. But has 1000 years of evolution and technology. 

So how does the TVA space render the infinity stones and other powers useless?

Andrew74 said:

Lmao I just googled and apparently Kang does NOT have blue skin. He wears a blue mask.

Yeah, it sort of feels like this is where the MCU is headed right now.
I do wonder if this will be their first failure. We watched it, I liked it, my wife was totally confused. We watched the emergency awesome YouTube video after and she was completely out on the whole multiverse thing. 

Marvel deserves the benefit of the doubt, and they’ll get it, but opening up a universe where there could be thousands of Iron Men means there are no stakes and no potential endings. I get that almost none of these movies have stakes but the possibility of them exist and without that it’s…..just a comic book. Which the MCU has done well not to replicate. 

We’ll see. 

I do wonder if this will be their first failure. We watched it, I liked it, my wife was totally confused. We watched the emergency awesome YouTube video after and she was completely out on the whole multiverse thing. 

Marvel deserves the benefit of the doubt, and they’ll get it, but opening up a universe where there could be thousands of Iron Men means there are no stakes and no potential endings. I get that almost none of these movies have stakes but the possibility of them exist and without that it’s…..just a comic book. Which the MCU has done well not to replicate. 

We’ll see. 
Don't you think the endgame will be bringing everything back to the "right" timeline/universe?

Users who are viewing this thread