What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (7 Viewers)

The movie was awful.  S1 and S3 of Daredevil were incredible.  Vincent D'Onrifio (sp) is tremendous as Kingpin.  S2 was also very good but I especially liked 1 and 3.  If you haven't checked out the Netflix Marvel series, Jessica Jones season 1 was also really good, and the first half of Luke Cage season 1 was good.  Skip Iron Fist.  I enjoyed both Punisher seasons, Jon Bernthal is great in that role.
I actually enjoyed the Defenders as well. Daredevil and Jessica Jones have some good banter and play off each other well.  And it does lead into DD s3.   I'm a sucker for the team up movie/series though....

Chris B. said:
Me too. The early reviews have been great. And of course the racists that haven't seen it are already panning it and mad that Asians are invading their universe. 
We prefer our martial artists to be white and blonde.
danny rand was the absolute worst actor in any of the netflix marvel things and iron fish was the worst of the netflix marvel shows so that makes him like the armpit of the armpit take that to the bank brohans 

Episode 3 of What If is pretty good, but the animation and audio drove me a bit nuts. The mouths were just lazy and messy. They largely don’t synch up well with the audio at all. Usually that stuff doesn’t bother me too much, but it really did on this episode for some reason for me.

I finally got around to seeing Black Widow in the theater. It's what I was expecting - a fun popcorn flick with some laughs and explosions. With so many Marvel movies completed and planned, I think throwing these in with some frequency along with the more (important?) ones that are more integral to the larger story are necessary breaks. 

While I am going to Ten Rings tomorrow, my expectations were very low.

I was very surprised to see how great the reviews are.  The positive reviews on RT are at 92% on 198 total reviews right now and the reviews themselves are strong.

Shang-Chi isn’t available to buy on D+? I live in the covid epicenter of the world so I’m not heading to a theater this month. 

Capella said:
Shang-Chi isn’t available to buy on D+? I live in the covid epicenter of the world so I’m not heading to a theater this month. 
No, but it will free on D+ in 45 days.

That sucks. Planned to buy it tonight. Why would they switch this strategy now?
Well, I wasn’t in the strategy meeting, but I did read about it. It didn’t say why, but heck, I’ll hazard a guess and say that they are trying out a different strategy to see what makes them the most money. For Black Widow, you had a pretty captive audience of not much competition at theaters and paying $30 on D+. Now, you’ve got a similar situation although more CV, but they didn’t know it during planning. With analytics, we could see what happened with BW and Ten Rings and see how much box office was, when it faded, how much they got on D+ $30 payments and how many new subscribers they got. Comparing the two would give you a window into profitability. For instance, BW is still not free on D+ so most people really interested in the movie have already seen it. Well, that’s not true for ten rings and the subscriber bump would be more telling since 45 days isn’t a long wait.

ETA: Also, the stars of this movie aren’t in Scarlett’s position to sue, so maybe this is one that can be played around with to see the impact to box office and subscriptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Shang Chi last night. I liked it but it has some pacing problems. The beginning and ending are great but the middle third of the movie was a slog for me. The final battle REALLY pays off though. 

I think because Scarlet sued them
I don’t think that’s the case at all. Disney isn’t changing their release strategy for that lawsuit. It’s kind of a new world and they want to figure out how they make the most amount of money. Heck, if they analyze the results and find that 2 months of $30 D+, 3 months of $15 and free gets them the most movie for the money and additional subscriptions, they’ll do it that way with no box office.

The only other thing I can think of is that the Avengers cash cow is done and they may see ten rings as a get people in the door for the next wave, don’t worry about profits. I mean, it’s easy to think that they could lose a huge part of the Avengers fan base that know zero about ten rings and wouldn’t pay for it. Maybe some good buzz and showing it for free on D+ while the buzz is still there brings in the most viewers who become fans and now Marvel next phase starts off well.

Dr. Octopus said:
Worst one so far - but I'm not a big Dr. Strange fan.
I’m not a huge fan, but I liked the movie and he was decent in Avengers, but this was definitely the worst and it’s not close.

It also exposes all of the concerns about the confusion and holes that can be created by multi-verse/time travel. If that’s a sample, color me worried. I don’t even know what the dripping of reality was. 

If their goal is to make the endings of these as depressing as possible, they’re doing a great job.
That was the shtick of the What If comics back in the 90's: take a story and twist it like a pretzel. The running joke was how they were going to kill Spider-Man this month (and there were some doozies). 

Hell, the 'What If the X-men lost Inferno' story was so dark that they showed Wolverine eating a baby because he embraced his animal side. 

They were fun reads though.

That was the shtick of the What If comics back in the 90's: take a story and twist it like a pretzel. The running joke was how they were going to kill Spider-Man this month (and there were some doozies). 

Hell, the 'What If the X-men lost Inferno' story was so dark that they showed Wolverine eating a baby because he embraced his animal side. 

They were fun reads though.
Wolverine does resemble a dingo. 

So Holland is out of the movies going forward? So confused. 
It's all click bait BS IMO. Because of Sony, side things like this, become a bit more complicated. Holland's last contracted solo Spider-Man movie is No Way Home. Going forward it's not clear what role he'll have in Phase 4 of the MCU, but he's certainly not out of them, at least based on what I've read.

Yeah....its marvel content,  so I'll watch.  But it hasn't really been doing it for me. 
Watched it and definitely underwhelmed. If it was random people, it could have been OK but since it was the folks we know it fell flat. Being zombies and still be intelligent/having powers kind of bothered me knowing that genre pretty well. Thanks as a zombie wanting the time stone at the end was again just a silly scene. Who cares if this story will never continue? I like the what if concept but what’s the point of a cliff hanger?

Hawks64 said:
It's all click bait BS IMO. Because of Sony, side things like this, become a bit more complicated. Holland's last contracted solo Spider-Man movie is No Way Home. Going forward it's not clear what role he'll have in Phase 4 of the MCU, but he's certainly not out of them, at least based on what I've read.
Borderline criminal.  Holland rules as Spidey. 

maybe they are just setting us up to bring back that thesbean powerhouse tobey magruder as spider man to just completely ruin it again take that to the bank bromigo 

I thought it was fantastic.

Feels like a solid beginning to whats next.
I always take my oldest son to these, he couldn’t get past a few times where dad acted irrationally. Without getting into spoilers I just said sometimes we act by feeling over logic. 🤷

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Is What If going to matter for the stories going forward, or is it just supposed to be something "fun" for fans?
I think it's just filler the way the comics were.  Not really my jam.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Is What If going to matter for the stories going forward, or is it just supposed to be something "fun" for fans?

What If  is MCU canon.  With Loki and the new Dr. Strange bringing the multiverse into the MCU fold....technically all of these things have happened in the MCU; although who know if the mutliverse meta storyline will still exist once these Phases of the MCU franchise are over.  

I loved Shang Chi. I was very disappointed in BW and this exactly what I needed Marvel to do. The movie was really fun. Some seriously grim stuff in there but it still found a way to be fun. 

What If  is MCU canon.  With Loki and the new Dr. Strange bringing the multiverse into the MCU fold....technically all of these things have happened in the MCU; although who know if the mutliverse meta storyline will still exist once these Phases of the MCU franchise are over.  
I would think, while they are technically canon in MCU, will be like the comics just one off stand alone stories.

Hawks64 said:
I would think, while they are technically canon in MCU, will be like the comics just one off stand alone stories.

Probably, I don't think the MCU movies will reference these stories...except maybe in a passing conversation about the multiverse between characters (something like "there's even rumors of a zombie timeline").  

Although there were reports of them being interested in a Marvel Zombies live action movie.....

The What If series has been enjoyable but nothing special.  I did like the Zombie Avengers, and Thor being an only child was entertaining.  Hopefully they are just simple one offs and not bigger deals.

As for Shang-Chi, we went last night.  Aside from the 2 aholes down the row texting, talking and facetiming we really enjoyed. 

Very Crouching Marvel, Hidden Dragon.  Not a huge fan of Awkwafina but she and Simu Liu worked well together.  Just enough tie ins to the MCU and an excellent mid credits scene.  After 20+ movies, Marvel being able to come up with new and different style fight scenes still amazes.  

The What If series has been enjoyable but nothing special.  I did like the Zombie Avengers, and Thor being an only child was entertaining.  Hopefully they are just simple one offs and not bigger deals.

As for Shang-Chi, we went last night.  Aside from the 2 aholes down the row texting, talking and facetiming we really enjoyed. 

Very Crouching Marvel, Hidden Dragon.  Not a huge fan of Awkwafina but she and Simu Liu worked well together.  Just enough tie ins to the MCU and an excellent mid credits scene.  After 20+ movies, Marvel being able to come up with new and different style fight scenes still amazes.  

So the "What If" series really knocked me out of posting in this thread :)  They have been mostly good "one-offs" but they hit a string of 3 in a row (Dr. Strange, Zombies, and Killmonger) that I just didn't like.  Haven't watched the one from yesterday.  The animation on these have been top notch, but man they are cramming a lot of content into 30 minutes or so of action.

I was remiss in not commenting on Shang Chi.  We saw it opening night and absolutely loved it.  Going in I had pretty high expectations for it, with the one worrisome spot being Awkwafina, but she did really well in the role.  A little bit of an eye roll with the part she played in the final scene, but overall I thought the action was great, the origin story was great, and had a lot of humor.  Really well done.

I'm not excited about the Eternals.  I'll still go see it opening weekend but I'm really fearful of a swing and miss here (which Marvel has largely avoided with the movie offerings).  I'm looking forward to Hawkeye and getting back to must see D+ TV content.

It makes the multiverse concept make sense, and that is a major storyline going forward, but no individual story so far matters

The dr strange episode did set up rules for why he can't change certain things (and the sorcerer Supreme couldn't either as we saw in the first movie).   And that's important for the guy with the time stone to have rules where he can't just undo whatever everyone else is doing in the other timelines

Users who are viewing this thread