What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

I wasn't crazy into comics as a kid so excuse me if what I say is blasphemy but Deadpool 2 is by far my favorite of them. I enjoyed the Justice League movie a lot as well. 

As a fellow curmudgeon, Cable is now my favorite male character. If I'm even allowed to say this on this board, I plan on divorcing my wife for Domino.  :wub:

Here is what Brie Larson said that got some people so riled up.

CAPTAIN MARVEL is already being targeted online by alleged “Marvel fans” who have completely misconstrued recent comments by its star Brie Larson. 

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” she told the publication. “So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Iniative, who put together a study to confirm that. “Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. “After speaking with you [Keah Brown, journalist; a woman of colour with cerebral palsy], the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. “When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

And that, it seems, is it. That’s all she said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1089234/Captain-Marvel-review-bombed-Brie-Larson-hates-white-men-comments-backlash-false/amp

I mean, that's fair. I don't know why RT would even make the movie available for review before it comes out. :loco:
I think the RT audience reviews are flat out useless for this specific reason.

While not perfect, I use RT to see how the critics think, and IMDB to get a feel for how the paying customers think.

I think the RT audience reviews are flat out useless for this specific reason.

While not perfect, I use RT to see how the critics think, and IMDB to get a feel for how the paying customers think.
It depends. In cases like Doctor Who Season 11  (91-21) and the New Year's Day Doctor Who show, (95-15) the critics and fans are at wide variance in their opinion. The fan vote is full of lengthy, reasoned, passionate responses as to why this particular season - and that episode specifically - suck.  And it's not just Doctor Who; look at Season 2 of Star Trek Discovery (83-29) which is much worse than Season 1 (82-52).  It can't be just written off as incels or misogynists or bots every time. 

If you want to look at the reverse of this divide, look at Season 1 of The Orville (31-94).  The critics absolutely HATE this show, but many of the fans watching it consider it to be the homage to Star Trek that ST:D claims to be, but apparently isn't. Plus, you have to realize that now we're into more of "access journalism" - we don't actually get real entertainment news, we get puff pieces. For example, if I read something about Star Trek Discovery on TVGuide.com, it's worthless as it is owned by CBS.  It's basically a glorified press release.

At a certain point, you have acknowledge that there are a sizable portion of the fanbase that have valid, legitimate points that cannot be dismissed out of hand. If you're looking at the gross number on either side, I don't think that's a fair representation. If you scan the comments, you'll realize both a) who's being paid to shill for the studio and b) who's trolling bad reviews to drive their respective RT numbers to where they are.

I wasn't crazy into comics as a kid so excuse me if what I say is blasphemy but Deadpool 2 is by far my favorite of them. I enjoyed the Justice League movie a lot as well. 

As a fellow curmudgeon, Cable is now my favorite male character. If I'm even allowed to say this on this board, I plan on divorcing my wife for Domino.  :wub:
I cry with laughter every time when they parachute out of the plane

It depends. In cases like Doctor Who Season 11  (91-21) and the New Year's Day Doctor Who show, (95-15) the critics and fans are at wide variance in their opinion. The fan vote is full of lengthy, reasoned, passionate responses as to why this particular season - and that episode specifically - suck.  And it's not just Doctor Who; look at Season 2 of Star Trek Discovery (83-29) which is much worse than Season 1 (82-52).
I personally don't look at any composite reviews that are a small sample size as it is too easy for the results to be skewed.  For example the RT critical score you posted for Discovery season 2 has only 13 reviews.  That is a meaningless sample size, statistically speaking.

I personally don't look at any composite reviews that are a small sample size as it is too easy for the results to be skewed.  For example the RT critical score you posted for Discovery season 2 has only 13 reviews.  That is a meaningless sample size, statistically speaking.
But wouldn't you at least read them?

But wouldn't you at least read them?
not really.  I form my own opinion of shows and movies.   I do like to see the general consensus though as long as the sample size is decent.

As an aside, I don't particularly agree with people or critics who review an entire season of a tv show based on only the first couple of episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So really diving into this universe more.  I knew all the movies would be connected - but I was assuming they would just have their own movies so that when they show up in an Avengers movie they weren't brand new out of nowhere.  No idea just how connected all the characters would be with all of these "infinity stones", and how that started all the way back with the first Captain America movie.  Watched a short video on all of the stone connections, and how they spell out the name of a villain - mind blown.  So of course going back now and watching or rewatching them all in the order in which you're apparently suppose to (just movies, I doubt I'll find the time for the shows).  Realized I completely missed IronMan 3, never saw Hulk, and missed either Thor 2 or 3.  Between Amazon prime, Netflix, the ones I own on disc, and other sources - really hoping for a nice long snowed in weekend.
If you Dvr off of tbs or tnt or USA or syfy or wherever, I doubt you will miss anything because of editing...

rascal said:
Captain marvel is getting some bad reviews
Actually it’s not 

RT has a thing where you can say if a movie is one you want to see or you are not interested in it.

Repeat, these are NOT reviews

Brie Larson doing everything she can to let me know Cap Marvel isn't for me.  I can wait until April to get my superhero fix.

Stay woke!

Brie Larson doing everything she can to let me know Cap Marvel isn't for me.  I can wait until April to get my superhero fix.

Stay woke!
Because...of comments she made about caring about diversity of movie critics or whatever? Getting butthurt about that seems incredibly weak-minded. Almost snowflake-ish, which is ironic. 

Because...of comments she made about caring about diversity of movie critics or whatever? Getting butthurt about that seems incredibly weak-minded. Almost snowflake-ish, which is ironic. 
Disney could reel her in if they wanted to, so by extension they agree with her months long tirades and virtue-signaling.  The only true way I can let them know to keep identity politics out of my superhero movies is with my wallet.  We all protest in our own ways.  Nothing butt hurtish about it, just my own personal boycott

Disney could reel her in if they wanted to, so by extension they agree with her months long tirades and virtue-signaling.  The only true way I can let them know to keep identity politics out of my superhero movies is with my wallet.  We all protest in our own ways.  Nothing butt hurtish about it, just my own personal boycott
❄️ 

Look, I realize you guys on the left agree with her gender politics so your first instinct is to bully any dissenting voices.  It's cool, I've stood toe to toe with better than the likes of the nerds in this thread

Look, I realize you guys on the left agree with her gender politics so your first instinct is to bully any dissenting voices.  It's cool, I've stood toe to toe with better than the likes of the nerds in this thread
I really don’t even know what you’re talking about with what she said. I don’t pay any attention to celebrity comments. But it is hilarious you stand for that whole say whatever you want no PC crap but then won’t see a movie because you don’t like what an actress has to say. ❄️ 

Jesus. I was about to reply to this thread about the Incel virgin neckbeard losers review bombing Captain Marvel. And then come to find out Stat is one of them.

Get a grip, man. Read up on the political leanings of most of the Avengers actors and let us know if you’re so skipping that one too. 

Jesus. I was about to reply to this thread about the Incel virgin neckbeard losers review bombing Captain Marvel. And then come to find out Stat is one of them.

Get a grip, man. Read up on the political leanings of most of the Avengers actors and let us know if you’re so skipping that one too. 
Plus Brie Larson could be playing a big role in that movie. 

Did I do a "no more PC" rant?  In general I am for less PC.  I thought Rosanne got shafted (compare to Jussie Smollett)

Larson has the freedom to say whatever she wants, just like I do.  But if I reward their behavior I'll get more of it.  So I'm hoping it bombs hard.

Are all of you guys new here?  

Did I do a "no more PC" rant?  In general I am for less PC.  I thought Rosanne got shafted (compare to Jussie Smollett)

Larson has the freedom to say whatever she wants, just like I do.  But if I reward their behavior I'll get more of it.  So I'm hoping it bombs hard.
Roseanne is a well known bigot, and deserves what she got. Smollett, if it’s indeed a setup like it appears, should never work again, and should be in jail.

Larson? She just said let’s include women and minorities. The shame!!!!

Look, I know you soyboys on the left agree with her politics, so your natural reaction is to lash out at a dissenting voice.  No worries

When the movie becomes more about the gender politics than the actual.....movie, I can't sign on for that.
You’ve seen it? What the heck are you talking about?? You and a select group of angry weirdos are targeting this movie, Black Panther and Wonder Woman. Making it about something other than those movies. 

Hint: It’s because women and blacks are leads.

Look, nobody wants to see this nerdy slap fight.  There's plenty of YouTube videos about the "wokeness" of Captain Marvel if anyone is interested.  Quick search returns hours of vids.

You’ve seen it? What the heck are you talking about?? You and a select group of angry weirdos are targeting this movie, Black Panther and Wonder Woman. Making it about something other than those movies. 

Hint: It’s because women and blacks are leads.
Wonder Woman was magnificent, and Gal Gadot is luminous (contrasted with Brie who always looks like I owe her alimony).  WW was awesome.

Roseanne is a well known bigot, and deserves what she got. Smollett, if it’s indeed a setup like it appears, should never work again, and should be in jail.

Larson? She just said let’s include women and minorities. The shame!!!!
Roseanne is not a bigot.  Roseanne is a Green Party leftist who has a visceral disdain for the corrupt center left establishment.  She posted a single unfortunate and tasteless tweet comparing Valerie Jarrett, who happens to be 46% African American (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Jarrett) to a creature of simian origin.  It was an unfortunate error, as Valerie could easily pass for not being African-American, at all.

I'm not excited about Captain Marvel and it has nothing to do with the politics.  I never found any of the Captain Marvel's that compelling in the books, and I haven't seen anything in the previews that excited me.  This has a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern feel if I'm being honest.
I’m willing to give Marvel some rope but one thing I do not feel I need is more Lee Pace. Hated that character.  

Seems like the animals escaped from the Politics Forum Zoo we tried to cage them into :(
God, calm down. You’re always so dramatic. It’s like 10 posts. I haven’t been to the Politics forum in months and probably have 5 total posts there. Somebody brought up “identity politics” in a marvel movie thread and it got discussed.

I'm not excited about Captain Marvel and it has nothing to do with the politics.  I never found any of the Captain Marvel's that compelling in the books, and I haven't seen anything in the previews that excited me.  This has a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern feel if I'm being honest.
It's funny I felt the same way. Even said that to my friend, feels like Green Lantern 2. Big fancy CGI suit. Comic that is way more vast than can really be put on screen.  Marvel has a good track record of taking the obscure and making it gold but the previews leave a lot to be desired.  I remember when this was first announced and the teaser trailer, I was really excited. Now I'm not so sure.

Capella said:
No it’s not. Those are internet trolls at rotten tomatoes. Tried the same thing with the Last Jedi and Black Panther. 

Losers
Not everything is internet trolls. Last Jedi just sucked. Black Panther was good. BP is at 79% audience on RT. Last Jedi is at 45%. Those are pretty accurate reflections of the quality of those movies. 

They made the same premade excuse for Ghostbusters 2016. "Oh it was the internet trolls in their moms basement. That's why our movie did bad." No it's just that the movie sucks. Sorry.

We'll see what happens with Captain Marvel but if it sucks, the fans will let us know and they won't all be internet trolls in their moms basement.

CentralPA said:
It's funny to see there are d-bags out there that literally spent there time doing dumb #### like this.   Mind boggling.
But did they really? Or is this Disney setting expectations in case it does do poorly? This is a business and investors are watching closely. If they can blame it all on internet trolls instead of the script writer and director, it's a lot easier to sell that nothing's wrong to the people investing in their movies.

I really don’t even know what you’re talking about with what she said. I don’t pay any attention to celebrity comments. But it is hilarious you stand for that whole say whatever you want no PC crap but then won’t see a movie because you don’t like what an actress has to say. ❄️ 
I'm probably not seeing it either, mostly because it's not a character I'm familiar with and the trailers did nothing to make me want to see it. However, if you want to see it and spend your money on it, who am I to stop you?  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread