What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (9 Viewers)

I think The Dark World is a low point but there have been others that have fallen short as well IMO (IM3, AoU to name two and while I definitely enjoyed Black Panther I never understood the insane hype surrounding it)

My tix for Captain Marvel are at Cinepolis  so I figure the booze and zebra popcorn coma(s) will put me in a very forgiving mood while watching.
I honestly didn't mind AoU. Not among the best but not disappointing imo.

I was hoping Netflix would have AoU but I haven't seen it since it first came out on blue ray. I'd like to see it again, I might have to see if the local library has it or try kodi.

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
I honestly didn't mind AoU. Not among the best but not disappointing imo.
Other than the action sequences I didn't care for it.  Multiple viewings have made it worse.

Other than the action sequences I didn't care for it.  Multiple viewings have made it worse.
It felt disjointed and thrown together. I think a lot got lost in the editing room floor. For example in the theater we missed a lot of potentially important info with Thor's jacuzzi and how that related to waking Vision. 

Nick Vermeil said:
The first Captain is one of my favorites. The transformation from weakling to cap is great. That sequence when he parachutes in to save all the soldiers is top notch. I would not rate it so low. 

Agreed, and how Thor 2 and IM3 can be ahead of anything is mind bottling .

It felt disjointed and thrown together. I think a lot got lost in the editing room floor. For example in the theater we missed a lot of potentially important info with Thor's jacuzzi and how that related to waking Vision. 
I am one of the biggest Whedon fan boys out there and this movie broke him, mind and body.  It was pretty scary to read how much it effected him.  He fought Disney like crazy to keep those scenes in and was not able to get his way.

It also made me appreciate that the assemble movies are so big, they really do need two main leaders splitting the work, which is probably why the Russo's have worked out so well.

Maybe being the world's biggest fans of the extended editions of Lord of The Rings colors my vision, but I still don't understand Disney's stance on refusing to create extended editions of some of these movies.

Sure, we can all understand why the studio needs most of these movies to come in the theater at certain run times, but I personally would enjoy extended editions of many of these movies when released to Blu Ray or streaming.

Obviously Age of Ultron would benefit, but I also have images of lots of good stuff that ended up getting cut in many of the assemble movies.

Maybe being the world's biggest fans of the extended editions of Lord of The Rings colors my vision, but I still don't understand Disney's stance on refusing to create extended editions of some of these movies.

Sure, we can all understand why the studio needs most of these movies to come in the theater at certain run times, but I personally would enjoy extended editions of many of these movies when released to Blu Ray or streaming.

Obviously Age of Ultron would benefit, but I also have images of lots of good stuff that ended up getting cut in many of the assemble movies.
I agree. That horrible Batman/Superman movie was made 50% better with the extended version. It was shocking how much better it was. 

Opposite for me. Was disappointed coming out of the theater, but has gotten mildly better upon multiple viewings. Still near the bottom of my personal rankings though.

And as @NewlyRetired said, a lot of stuff came out later that Whedon was fighting Disney on every step of the movie which is one reason it is such a disjointed mess. For example, Disney apparently wanted the scene of everyone trying to pick up Thor's hammer cut, one of the better character bits in the movie. I recall Whedon saying in an interview that he fought tooth and nail to keep it in.

Opposite for me. Was disappointed coming out of the theater, but has gotten mildly better upon multiple viewings. Still near the bottom of my personal rankings though.

And as @NewlyRetired said, a lot of stuff came out later that Whedon was fighting Disney on every step of the movie which is one reason it is such a disjointed mess. For example, Disney apparently wanted the scene of everyone trying to pick up Thor's hammer cut, one of the better character bits in the movie. I recall Whedon saying in an interview that he fought tooth and nail to keep it in.
That seems odd since without that scene you lose the impact of Vision picking up the hammer later.  Makes no sense.

As for ranking them all, its about re-watchability for me. There are several I will watch over and over when I see them on.  Most, even the "bad" ones, I might only watch a scene or two if its coming up when I come across the movie.  Thor 1 and 2, IM 2 and 3 have very few scenes i'll watch again and again.

That seems odd since without that scene you lose the impact of Vision picking up the hammer later.  Makes no sense.
I think that was one of Whedon's points in why he fought to keep the scene in.  However, in winning this battle he was forced to lose many others in which scenes were chopped.

I'm not a Marvel geek and don't know her story, but I'm giving this one a thumbs up.  My son and his buddy both enjoyed it, and it had alot of 80's humor to entertain the old guys like me.  I'm not sold on Bree Larson carrying this role, but she's not bad by any means.  There are two scenes in the credits - one very early, then you have time for a piss as the second one comes very late.

Very entertaining.  Lots of laughs.  Great to get to see some Fury and Colson backstory.

Took two 14 year old girls.  They both loved it.  

I liked Norton's Hulk. I liked that it didn't discredit Ang Lee's abomination (no pun intended). Just kept the story going. Can't wait for a real Hulk storyline and finally the addition of She Hulk! You want to talk about a strong female superhero!
I liked Norton’s Hulk, too. But it didn’t continue the story from Lee’s movie, it just ignored it. In the opening of the movie, it shows Norton’s Banner getting gamma exposure that was an homage to the Incredible Hulk from TV, much different than what happened in Lee’s.

Other than the fact that Lee’s ended with Banner in South America and Norton’s having him start there, there are no ties between the two movies.

I liked Norton’s Hulk, too. But it didn’t continue the story from Lee’s movie, it just ignored it. In the opening of the movie, it shows Norton’s Banner getting gamma exposure that was an homage to the Incredible Hulk from TV, much different than what happened in Lee’s.

Other than the fact that Lee’s ended with Banner in South America and Norton’s having him start there, there are no ties between the two movies.
That's what I meant. They started him in South America. Didn't hit all the details of the movie but that was a Marvel movie and terrible one. But they didn't dismiss it outright. If for some reason someone watched that one before watching IH07, they wouldn't be lost.

Super fun movie. Second hour better than the first. Great soundtrack and just enough Easter Eggs to make everyone happy. Not the deepest of the Marvel movies, but not the campiest either. And will be the favorite movie of little girls everywhere.

I'm not a Marvel geek and don't know her story, but I'm giving this one a thumbs up.  
Just a side note to anyone familiar with the Captain Marvel backstory (comics), this movie will drive you insane.  The changes to Mar-Vell, the Rambeaux story line....there's a lot of stuff that'll be kind of insulting to any decent comic nerd.

Take the final "s" off of your spoiler quote on each side.  Otherwise it shows
Yeah sorry, I immediately deleted the post once I saw I messed up.  Lets try this again:

Never read Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel

I heard the Kree though are going to be the next huge villian after Thanos in the MCU.  Keep hearing the Secret Invasion are the next phase of Avengers movies.

Just a side note to anyone familiar with the Captain Marvel backstory (comics), this movie will drive you insane.  The changes to Mar-Vell, the Rambeaux story line....there's a lot of stuff that'll be kind of insulting to any decent comic nerd.
I read all of those when they came out.   Didn't bother me at all.  The entire storyline would be overly complicated and probably pretty boring.  They cut it down to a digestible story focused on the character they wanted, and fit it into the Avengers arc.   It worked just fine.  This is like Game of Thrones nerds complaining that the TV show isn't true to the books.   

Not sure what you're talking about with the Rambeaux story line.   She's a kid.   Maybe they develop her character in the next generation of movies after the Avengers arc comes to a close.

Insein said:
That's what I meant. They started him in South America. Didn't hit all the details of the movie but that was a Marvel movie and terrible one. But they didn't dismiss it outright. If for some reason someone watched that one before watching IH07, they wouldn't be lost.
They didn’t dismiss it but they made it clear, at least IMO, that Hulk had nothing to do with Incredible Hulk. They included glimpses of a new origin so that you could see they weren’t to be considered in the same storyline.

It’s like how the new Spider-Man movie didn’t explicitly dismiss the Maguire or Garfield Spider-Man movies, but you can tell they’re not in the MCU while the new one is.

Before it goes completely off the rails in the final act, the first two-thirds of Captain Marvel was entertaining.  

There was plenty I didn't like, and I'm not likely going to revisit the movie, but it was a solid "check out the matinee" superhero popcorn movie.

Yes, they beat you over the head with Grrrrrrrrrrrl power (they play "I'm just a girl" during a battle for gosh sakes, and that's not even the worst of it) but it didn't take me out of the film as much as I'd heard it would.

Remember, if you want to protest and still see the movie, buy a ticket to Alita Battle Angel but go into the Captain Marvel showing.  Lets help get Alita over 400M world wide.

Before it goes completely off the rails in the final act, the first two-thirds of Captain Marvel was entertaining.  

There was plenty I didn't like, and I'm not likely going to revisit the movie, but it was a solid "check out the matinee" superhero popcorn movie.

Yes, they beat you over the head with Grrrrrrrrrrrl power (they play "I'm just a girl" during a battle for gosh sakes, and that's not even the worst of it) but it didn't take me out of the film as much as I'd heard it would.

Remember, if you want to protest and still see the movie, buy a ticket to Alita Battle Angel but go into the Captain Marvel showing.  Lets help get Alita over 400M world wide.
Jeez dude. The “let’s get Alita to win over Captain Marvel” shtick is quite literally alt-right Proud Boy girls are gross 15 year old reddit troll BS. I can’t believe you’re on board with that.

Jeez dude. The “let’s get Alita to win over Captain Marvel” shtick is quite literally alt-right Proud Boy girls are gross 15 year old reddit troll BS. I can’t believe you’re on board with that.
Last I looked Alita had a female lead.  Good grief dude, buy a ticket to "Greta" or "Green Book" or "Madea's Funeral"....whatever.  Anything except putting money in Brie Larson's pocket.

You guys are taking this thing WAY too seriously.

Last I looked Alita had a female lead.  Good grief dude, buy a ticket to "Greta" or "Green Book" or "Madea's Funeral"....whatever.  Anything except putting money in Brie Larson's pocket.

Read your own post above. You’re the one going out of your way to buy a ticket for one movie and sneaking into another. Now, unless youre 11 and want to catch a cheerleader slasher...it’s very odd behavior.

Re-read your post a few minutes ago. If that seems normal to you, you’ve been radicalized.

Read your own post above. You’re the one going out of your way to buy a ticket for one movie and sneaking into another. Now, unless youre 11 and want to catch a cheerleader slasher...it’s very odd behavior.

Re-read your post a few minutes ago. If that seems normal to you, you’ve been radicalized.
There are people that are curious about the movie, but really don't want to reward Brie Larson.  There's an option for them.  That's not Antifa hitting people over the head with bike locks crazy.  It's a very simple economic protest.  Putting it in the realm of alt-right is an over-reaction at best.  In fact, using the funds to back a smaller picture (like Greta) helps those films continue to get made.

ETA: I think it's a brilliant idea, you think it's a stupid idea.  Nobody wants to read us say that over and over again.

Guys, I just want to reiterate that nobody wants to see posts of me being attacked and then posts of me defending myself.  The whole thing is counter productive and kind of boring.

Remember alt-righters when you hate masturbate to Brie Larson change it up to alita the battle angel at the last second so she doesn’t get credit and you don’t feel guilty. 
Why Alt-Right love for Alita?  I'm seeing some of the Facebooks posts condemning Larson and they'll all popping for Alita.

ETA: NM.  I'm looking a few posts up. 

Remember alt-righters when you hate masturbate to Brie Larson change it up to alita the battle angel at the last second so she doesn’t get credit and you don’t feel guilty. 
I can't say that I've read all 63 pages of this thread, but is it all like this?  I came in to post a review and see what others thought of the movie, and there's guys talking about some weird mix of politics and self appeasement.

I'd just like to discuss the movie, and maybe even get into Endgame...?

you're advocating not just a protest but a type of theft to further a completely ridiculous political view about a freaking comic book movie.   who, exactly, is taking things too seriously?

I can't say that I've read all 63 pages of this thread, but is it all like this?  I came in to post a review and see what others thought of the movie, and there's guys talking about some weird mix of politics and self appeasement.

I'd just like to discuss the movie, and maybe even get into Endgame...?
No, pretty much only started when you showed up. You can't possibly be serious about all this. You're shock-jocking this thing, right? Just give me a wink and we can go back to pretending you are serious

you're advocating not just a protest but a type of theft to further a completely ridiculous political view about a freaking comic book movie. 
Oh, I get that.  It was a throw away line at the end of a review, didn't think it would blow up like it did.  Kind of seemed like people went zero to sixty and blew it out of proportion.

There will be people that watch the movie online (it's available to stream on a number of sites).  If I were advocating that, I could understand people getting up in arms (and justifiably so).  It seemed like a minor thing, but I get what you're saying.

No, pretty much only started when you showed up. 
If I'm attacked, I defend myself.  I know I should be the bigger person and just ignore it, but it's tough.

I'd just like to get back to talking about the MCU, hopefully that's what everyone else wants too

stat, I'm more interested in you responding to my spoiler tag about the photon/spectrum thing.   we're all a bunch of nerds.   let's leave the politics out of it.

stat, I'm more interested in you responding to my spoiler tag about the photon/spectrum thing.   we're all a bunch of nerds.   let's leave the politics out of it.
Totally down with that.  Sorry I missed your hidden Q the first time

Monica Rambeau was Captain Marvel way before Carol Danvers (and even led the Avengers), so it just one of those "wait....what?" moments

Totally down with that.  Sorry I missed your hidden Q the first time

Monica Rambeau was Captain Marvel way before Carol Danvers (and even led the Avengers), so it just one of those "wait....what?" moments

They changed it so the daughter is Monica.   It fits with the future of the franchise being led by the young heroes.   Monica is what, 8 in 1995?  So they can come back with her as a major force in the current timeline.   Have no problem with that.

Users who are viewing this thread