What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (13 Viewers)

They have taken off another Deadpool sequel.  Not sure if this means Deadpool is dead.

IMO it's the only thing from Fox worth saving.
Disney will PG13 it at some point with maybe an X-Men teammate. By then though Ryan Reynolds might start looking as old as real dead pool.

By then though Ryan Reynolds might start looking as old as real dead pool.
With the de-aging CGI stuff plus the burned-skin make-up plus the Deadpool costume itself ... Reynolds (plus stuntmen) will be able to play Deadpool for a long, long time.

At some point ... they gotta fold in a saucy, but PG-13 Deadpool into the later MCU movies. The Deadpool & Spiderman team-ups in the comics have been fun. Tom Holland will need to grow up on screen a bit, though ... he can't come off as a scared kid and still credibly trade barbs with Reynold's Deadpool.

Keep in mind that the kids that have grown up on the MCU so far -- born in, say, the late 1990s through maybe 2006 or so -- will be ready for even a rated-R Deadpool by the time the MCU would likely be open to include Deadpool (probably 8-10 years from now).

yay?

Not a big fan of the JJ series.  Maybe it's the actress protraying her, or the storylines.  I liked Tenant as the Purple Man, but even he couldn't save JJ s1 in my eyes.  JJ s2 was not that engaging.  I can't imagine JJ s3 is going to be much better.  I think I'll pass on this one.
JJ s1 was good, s2 was bad.  

Curious to see how S3 plays out, who's the villain?  More Hellcat?

I thought all the Marvel series on Netflix were cancelled. JJ S1 was my favorite. JJ S2 was dreadful.
I think this is the last one....

shadyridr said:
I thought all the Marvel series on Netflix were cancelled. JJ S1 was my favorite. JJ S2 was dreadful.
They are, JJ season 3 just hadn't been released yet.

Unfortunately they are saying that there is a 2 year moratorium per the Netflix contract from Disney doing anything with the characters, not even development or even talking about developing something new. So don't expect to see anything Daredevil/IF/Cage/JJ/Punisher related for a long while. Maybe one or multiple characters might be relaunched on the big screen, but it would probably be at least 3~4 years from now before we'd see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hulu has announced a Ghost Rider series and a Helstrom series (not familiar with that one.) GR will have the same actor that played him in Agents of Shield but apparently have nothing to do with the AOS plotline or background that was established.

Hulu has announced a Ghost Rider series and a Helstrom series (not familiar with that one.) GR will have the same actor that played him in Agents of Shield but apparently have nothing to do with the AOS plotline or background that was established.
The Robbie Reyes ghost rider from AOS was done really well, so I am looking forward to this coming. 

shadyridr said:
They are. It was announced a few months ago that JJ was canceled, but as they had already shot season 3, it will still be released.

I liked the Netflix series outside of Iron Fist, but I think I read from someone in Disney that the Netflix storylines were just too dark for what they wanted to do.  They were not going to continue them even if there wasn't a 2 year no compete.  I really enjoyed DareDevil so I hate to see it go.

I liked the Netflix series outside of Iron Fist, but I think I read from someone in Disney that the Netflix storylines were just too dark for what they wanted to do.  They were not going to continue them even if there wasn't a 2 year no compete.  I really enjoyed DareDevil so I hate to see it go.
Yea that's a shame. They were dark but they did it right unlike the DC show Titans that is just trying to be edgy. 

DD was the best of those characters.  S1 and S3 were great tv!  I didn't mind IF2, but IF1 drug on way too long.  I'd like to see Disney bring back DD on the D+ platform down the road.  Or at least find a way to bring DD and the Kingpin characters to the big screen.

DD was the best of those characters.  S1 and S3 were great tv!  I didn't mind IF2, but IF1 drug on way too long.  I'd like to see Disney bring back DD on the D+ platform down the road.  Or at least find a way to bring DD and the Kingpin characters to the big screen.
Spider-Man is the way in.  Kingpin, DD, Deadpool, J Jonas Jameson.....  

That's really how I feel as well.  DD1 and DD3 were great (again, driven by a tremendous villain).  IF2 was better than IF1, but still not great.  Luke Cage was great for the first half of the first season because he also had a great villain.  LC2 there were actually times I was rooting for the villain more than Cage.  The Defenders was ok but not great.

The Punisher I think is underrated.  Unlike DD and JJ where the villain drives a lot of the story, the Punisher is way better than I thought it would be just because Jon Bernthal seems to have been born to play the role.

Speaking of the TV side, Shield is back.  Also haven't watched much of S2 of Cloak and Dagger.  Got a little darker then S1 and the kid isn't as into it.  I may check it out when I get time to see how it goes.  She can't wait for Spidey though.  And missed Runaways s2, but will try and catch it if/when I switch to D+ w/ Hulu.

Need a little help with catching my wife up on the essentials before her seeing Endgame next weekend. She is a pop culture junkie and I have managed to convince her that there are too many call backs in Endgame to truly enjoy it without much background.

I've read online viewing orders but I'm looking to trim the fat. So if there aren't major call backs in Endgame or important Infinity Stone setups, it's gotta go.

I am looking for the essential Endgame viewing order.

She has good enough memories of GotG, Ant Man & Wasp & Black Panther. And we saw Captain Marvel in theaters. So, good.

Over the last week or so we have watched (in order): Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor (my bad for putting this before IM2), Iron Man 2 & The Avengers.

So, what's next?

The Dark World seems logical but, IMO, is the absolute nadir of the MCU but darnit it seems important relative to Endgame.

Then I think it should be Winter Soldier and Avengers 2. Should Winter Soldier be first? I think so.

I think Dr. Strange is absolutely essential and Homecoming (because it really solidifies the Tony Stark, Peter Parker relationship) are important. But can Homecoming be trimmed? I want to say yes, but am not sure. It brings emotional impact to IW & Endgame. But IW also covers that so maybe, not.

What about Civil War? It brings Spider Man into the fold and plants the seed of his relationship with Stark but does it really add to the Thanos storyline? I think no.

I love Ragnarok and feel it is a valuable lead in to Infinity War but is it essential? I'm on the fence. Gun to my head I think it is more "important" than Homecoming.

So I'm thinking next is: Dark World (ugh), Winter Soldier, A2, Dr. Strange, Ragnarok & IW.

Need a little help with catching my wife up on the essentials before her seeing Endgame next weekend. She is a pop culture junkie and I have managed to convince her that there are too many call backs in Endgame to truly enjoy it without much background.

I've read online viewing orders but I'm looking to trim the fat. So if there aren't major call backs in Endgame or important Infinity Stone setups, it's gotta go.

I am looking for the essential Endgame viewing order.

She has good enough memories of GotG, Ant Man & Wasp & Black Panther. And we saw Captain Marvel in theaters. So, good.

Over the last week or so we have watched (in order): Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor (my bad for putting this before IM2), Iron Man 2 & The Avengers.

So, what's next?

The Dark World seems logical but, IMO, is the absolute nadir of the MCU but darnit it seems important relative to Endgame.

Then I think it should be Winter Soldier and Avengers 2. Should Winter Soldier be first? I think so.

I think Dr. Strange is absolutely essential and Homecoming (because it really solidifies the Tony Stark, Peter Parker relationship) are important. But can Homecoming be trimmed? I want to say yes, but am not sure. It brings emotional impact to IW & Endgame. But IW also covers that so maybe, not.

What about Civil War? It brings Spider Man into the fold and plants the seed of his relationship with Stark but does it really add to the Thanos storyline? I think no.

I love Ragnarok and feel it is a valuable lead in to Infinity War but is it essential? I'm on the fence. Gun to my head I think it is more "important" than Homecoming.

So I'm thinking next is: Dark World (ugh), Winter Soldier, A2, Dr. Strange, Ragnarok & IW.
Just take a romantic weekend getaway to a nice romantic resort and spend the whole time watching all of them.

Skip Thor Dark World.

Skip Age of Ultron

Definitely watch Winter Soldier & Infinity War. 

Skip Thor Dark World.

Skip Age of Ultron

Definitely watch Winter Soldier & Infinity War. 

Isn't Age of Ultron the premise and context for Civil War?
It isn't about how the narrative fits each other movies, it's how they get called back in Endgame.

The Aether, Jane Foster in Asgard and the death of Frigga all seem pretty relevant to Endgame.

How can you really enjoy the impact of Cap getting Thor's hammer (best scene in the film) without Age of Ultron? It also brings the Mind stone into play.

Civil War OTOH doesn't really add anything to Endgame, does it?

ETA: I personally believe AoU and The Dark World are probably the low water marks in the MCU. But they still seem relevant to Endgame.

It isn't about how the narrative fits each other movies, it's how they get called back in Endgame.

The Aether, Jane Foster in Asgard and the death of Frigga all seem pretty relevant to Endgame.

How can you really enjoy the impact of Cap getting Thor's hammer (best scene in the film) without Age of Ultron? It also brings the Mind stone into play.

ETA: I personally believe AoU and The Dark World are probably the low water marks in the MCU. But they still seem relevant to Endgame.
Was kinda what I was getting at, and if you are going to watch 20 movies you might as well watch 22.

matuski said:
Was kinda what I was getting at, and if you are going to watch 20 movies you might as well watch 22.
Fortunately don't have to. We have ant man 1&2, BP, GotG 1&2, and Captain Marvel covered well enough in her memory. Not doing Civil War, IM3, Hulk & Homecoming.

We're going to watch the rest of Dark World (watched half last night), Winter Soldier, AoU (should this be before Winter Soldier?), Dr. Strange, Ragnarok then IW.

Fortunately don't have to. We have ant man 1&2, BP, GotG 1&2, and Captain Marvel covered well enough in her memory. Not doing Civil War, IM3, Hulk & Homecoming.

We're going to watch the rest of Dark World (watched half last night), Winter Soldier, AoU (should this be before Winter Soldier?), Dr. Strange, Ragnarok then IW.
Has she seen IW already?

Civil War establishes the rift between Tony and Steve. Their relationship, at least early on, is based primarily on the events of that film. Tony lashing out at Steve and then later returning his shield. 

Civil War establishes the rift between Tony and Steve. Their relationship, at least early on, is based primarily on the events of that film. Tony lashing out at Steve and then later returning his shield. 
Agreed but that was recapped in Infinity War well enough.

So we finally finished our movie previews and I took my wife to see Endgame last Sunday.

She loved it, which is great. She also said that she finally realizes how much I look like Chris Hemsworth, so I got that going for me too.

Looks like less than a hundred mil to catch Avatar and in like a third of the time. So End Game is that James Holzhauer guy and Avatar is Ken Jennings. 

Trailer from NBA Finals ....not good
Don't really understand this.   It looks like a Spider-Man movie.   Mysterio is a good choice for a villain and was always an interesting character.  This is the final stage 3 MCU movie, wraps up the aftermath of Endgame and most likely leads to his exit from the Avengers.      

-fish- said:
Don't really understand this.   It looks like a Spider-Man movie.   Mysterio is a good choice for a villain and was always an interesting character.  This is the final stage 3 MCU movie, wraps up the aftermath of Endgame and most likely leads to his exit from the Avengers.      
Yea is the spider-man contract with Sony up after this? I think it is. Would be a rather quick end to his story. 

-fish- said:
I can't find the trailer from the NBA finals - but it was not good.  Nothing compelling

Yea is the spider-man contract with Sony up after this? I think it is. Would be a rather quick end to his story. 
End to his story?  Holland is awesome as Spider Man.

I imagine Disney & Feige see Holland as an MCU tent pole for Phase Four and beyond.

End to his story?  Holland is awesome as Spider Man.

I imagine Disney & Feige see Holland as an MCU tent pole for Phase Four and beyond.
Yes but they don’t own his rights. The contract for the character was 5 movies I believe. 

Yes but they don’t own his rights. The contract for the character was 5 movies I believe. 
It was five movies and that could be it for Spidey in the MCU but it would be madness for Marvel Studios and Sony not to come back to the table.

I believe Sony cannot use Holland as Spider-Man in any other feature films (which is why he wasn't in Venom and won't be in Carnage) so if they don't come back to the table that means yet another Spider-Man reboot and that sounds like bad business for all concerned.

You guys probably have more updated information, but this link has Holland talking about 6 movies (3 solo, 3 ensemble).  That would give one more picture to finish out his trilogy.

https://www.slashfilm.com/tom-hollands-spiderman-contract/

And I do see a reference to the 5 films you guys were talking about.  Holland has been known to let spoilers fly, so maybe he wasn't supposed to say there were 6 films.  I think they'll find a way to work it out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/24/sonys-plan-for-spider-man-cinematic-universe-lacks-a-hero-spidey.html

Sony and Marvel will have to work out a deal, its been too good for them both not too.  And I'm sure it will have to open up other characters from Spidey's side for the MCU....

As for the final Netflix series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBKS2qH51I

Looks good.  Lets hope its at least as good as S1 if not better. 

How much new footage do you need to get yourself back into the theaters?
Good question.  Seen it twice already in theaters.  Probably won't increase my desire to see it again in theaters, but it doesn't hurt since I was considering going again anyway.  The kid and I do want to see some other movies first, so maybe on an off weekend?

Users who are viewing this thread