What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

If F4 bombs, maybe Fox will pull a Sony and negotiate with Disney/Marvel to jointly use the rights like with Spidey. Seems better than waiting 7 more years before they revert back.
I thought I read somewhere that Marvel stopped producing a Fantastic 4 comic. Some thought it was because they didn't own the rights so why keep giving FOX free advertising.
I've heard they were phasing out mutants too. It's really sad that the comics are making creative decisions this way.

Fantastic 4 getting horrible reviews. Why is FOX so bad at this?
Most the X-men movies have been good. :shrug:

I think it's partly to do with the fantastic 4 being kinda a lame comic in the first place. The only thing that really bothers me is that because Fox owns the F4, they still own the rights to Sliver Surfer and Galactus. It's going to suck when Marvel has to leave these characters out of the infinity gauntlet series.
F4 is easily the lamest of the groups who have had movies lately.

I thought they were making deals to include some of these in the IG series.

Sebowski said:
I'm not sure about the Deadpool. I don't think I can handle all that snarky.
Snark is what Deadpool is all about. It's what makes him so awesome.
On screen that may be too much. Feels like it's going to be like watching Peter Griffith play a super hero for 2hrs. Pass.
rental, when the kids are away.

I was never a big fan of the F4 comic until they did the Ultimate F4 Series. That was pretty well written (And is actually the first appearance of the Marvel Zombie Universe). It sounded like this new movie was being based on the Ultimate series...so if so, that sucks.

I was never a big fan of the F4 comic until they did the Ultimate F4 Series. That was pretty well written (And is actually the first appearance of the Marvel Zombie Universe). It sounded like this new movie was being based on the Ultimate series...so if so, that sucks.
I can just picture some executive... "wait, it will have superheroes AND zombies?!? How can we not make billions!!!"

If F4 bombs, maybe Fox will pull a Sony and negotiate with Disney/Marvel to jointly use the rights like with Spidey. Seems better than waiting 7 more years before they revert back.
I thought I read somewhere that Marvel stopped producing a Fantastic 4 comic. Some thought it was because they didn't own the rights so why keep giving FOX free advertising.
I think you are right, seems like a concerted effort to only support properties they have film rights to or are too popular to ignore like Xmen.

The comic side is shaking things up quite a bit lately (probably to sell comics) gay superhero wedding, female Thor, Falcon-Cap.

When do we get a Blade reboot?!?

I think you are right, seems like a concerted effort to only support properties they have film rights to or are too popular to ignore like Xmen.
How much of their income now comes from the movies vs. the comics?

Not sure where to ask this, so I will just stick it here:

Does anyone subscribe to the Marvel Unlimited service? I want to start reading some of these back stories and this seems like the best way to do it. Also, if you have it, what device are you using. I was about to buy a Kindle Fire because of all things Amazon, but I'm reading that the MU app doesn't work on that device without a work around.

Does anyone subscribe to the Marvel Unlimited service? I want to start reading some of these back stories and this seems like the best way to do it. Also, if you have it, what device are you using. I was about to buy a Kindle Fire because of all things Amazon, but I'm reading that the MU app doesn't work on that device without a work around.
Got it for my son on a kindle fire and he loves it. There isn't an official Amazon app but the work around app is great. It's been awhile since I got it for him or I'd link it. I googled it and it was the main option listed. I think it was 1mobile.com but I can't swear to it.

AcerFC has it if you want to shoot him a PM. Been meaning to try it since he was talking about, just waiting for a stretch of time I think I can get a lot of reading in.

Saw Ant Man yesterday. Easily a top 5 for me among the MCU flicks.

1. Avengers

2. Captain America Winter Solider

3. Iron Man

4. GOTG

5. Ant Man

you gotta sell a lot of $4 comic books to even approach what they can do with a film.

They are starting to alter their comics pretty significantly to match what you see on the screen.

I imagine the movies make them a LOT more money than their entire line of comic books.

you gotta sell a lot of $4 comic books to even approach what they can do with a film.

They are starting to alter their comics pretty significantly to match what you see on the screen.

I imagine the movies make them a LOT more money than their entire line of comic books.
Curious to see a breakdown of revenue and profit by comics, movies, and the parks.

Curious to see a breakdown of revenue and profit by comics, movies, and the parks.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/10/22/will-disneys-marvel-cripple-foxs-x-men-and-fantast.aspx

That kind of throws some numbers around.

I never found F4 to be a compelling story, nearly all of the major characters in Marvel have a human flaw that makes them relatable and drives compelling stories. F4 was lacking in that area.

I am certain that cancelling the comic has more to do with lack of readership and the fact that the talent in comics wants to work on the more popular series that are part of MCU.

I didnt think the comics made much, according to that link they get about the same revenue from the opening weekend of A2 that they get from all of their titles combined for the year.

CletiusMaximus said:
Fantastic 4 still in single digits on Rottentomatoes, for what that's worth. Disappointing ...
The best thing about F4 is that it got the director kicked off the Star Wars franchise.

Apparently the movie tanked. Imagine marvel could get it back if they want.
Comment I made to my brother today. Fox has to be hoping Marvel takes it back. Hopefully Marvel doesn't feel the need to do a F4 movie, just have the team fly in and help others in their movies.

I never found F4 to be a compelling story, nearly all of the major characters in Marvel have a human flaw that makes them relatable and drives compelling stories. F4 was lacking in that area.

I am certain that cancelling the comic has more to do with lack of readership and the fact that the talent in comics wants to work on the more popular series that are part of MCU.

I didnt think the comics made much, according to that link they get about the same revenue from the opening weekend of A2 that they get from all of their titles combined for the year.
The irony being that if Disney/MARVEL had the rights...they would have done a movie in which the F4 were the consummate professionals, the Best of the Best, THE epitome of what it means to be a public superhero in the MARVEL universe.....think The Incredibles meet the way in which they did Captain America....and the fans would have lapped it up like soup and they would have been cool again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding was that it more has to do with the way the rights were sold - anything created within the Fantastic Four comic universe automatically became movie rights for Fox, so any new characters/storylines that were created or were significantly a part of F4, Fox would hold the movie rights to.

Thus, conscious decision to no longer add anything new through the F4 comics.

I mean what if Marvel created a great FF storyline that fox used in a movie. Stupid.

If they could buy Spider-Man back I am sure they can but this if they like.

The best idea I ever heard fora F4 movie came when Doug Petrie (at the time a writer on Buffy The Vampire Slayer) was hired to try Fox's first crack at the property. He said that his concept was to basically do the Fantastic Four like A Hard Day's Night. A story about what it was like to be superhero celebrities in New York City in the shagtastic 60s.

Obviously, his idea was killed by the studio, but it would have been about as different as you could be from the GrimDark post-Nolan style of most modern superhero movies. But If you're not going to be goofy and joyful, why adapt this particular property at all? For God's sake, don't make "It's Clobberin' Time" into something an abusive brother said to Ben. Sheesh.

My son wants to start reading the Marvel story, so I'm looking for a recommendation as to a good starting place. I don't want it to be electronic and hope I don't have to start buying individual comic books - essentially looking for a good starting place, hopefully in the form of a larger graphic novel or series of books that tells the story roughly being told in the movies.

My son wants to start reading the Marvel story, so I'm looking for a recommendation as to a good starting place. I don't want it to be electronic and hope I don't have to start buying individual comic books - essentially looking for a good starting place, hopefully in the form of a larger graphic novel or series of books that tells the story roughly being told in the movies.
Civil War is probably a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Mark-Millar/dp/078512179X

It's missing a lot of the side stories, which in most cases are very good, but this is the core of the story.

how old is your son?

It's missing a lot of the side stories, which in most cases are very good, but this is the core of the story.
Good one.

I personally would go way back with The Death of Captain Marvel. Great story and it gives a pretty solid background on Thanos and at least touches most of the major players involved in the films.

how old is your son?

The Civil War series has a ton of cross overs I think. I want to read this but every time I look up a reading order, I get a different list :( Here is one I looked at this morning

Marvel Unlimited Event Reading Order The Road to Civil War
  • Amazing Spider-Man #529 – #530
  • New Avengers: Illuminati
  • Fantastic Four #536 – #537
  • Amazing Spider-Man #531
  • Civil War: Opening Shot #1
Stamford Bomb
  • Civil War #1
  • She-Hulk #8
  • Wolverine #42
  • X-Factor #8
  • New Avengers #21
  • Black Panther #17
  • Civil War: Front Line #1
  • Amazing Spider-Man #532
The Act Passes / Sides Are Chosen
  • Civil War #2
  • Amazing Spider-Man #533
  • Civil War: Front Line #2
  • She-Hulk #9
  • Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts #103
  • New Avengers #22
  • Blade #4
  • Sensational Spider-Man #28
  • X-Factor #9
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #11 – #13
Opening Shots
  • Civil War: Front Line #3
  • Heroes For Hire #1
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #1 – #4
  • Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts #104 – #105
  • Cable & Deadpool #30
  • Fantastic Four #538
  • New X-Men #28 – #32Not direct tie-ins but connect to Storm’s events in Black Panther #18
[*]Black Panther #18
[*]Civil War: Frontline #4
[*]Daredevil #87
  • Another indirect tie-in that explains Daredevil’s appearances during Civil War
[*]Civil War: Choosing Sides #1
[*]Black Panther #19
[*]Iron Man #13
[*]Black Panther #20
[*]Civil War: Front Line #5
[*]Sensational Spider-Man #29 – #31
War
  • Civil War #3
  • Civil War #4
  • Civil War: Front Line #6
  • Cable & Deadpool #31 – #32
  • Wolverine #43 – #45
  • Captain America #22 – #23
  • Civil War: Front Line #7
  • Amazing Spider-Man #534
  • Fantastic Four #539
  • Black Panther #21 – #22
  • Civil War: X-Men #1 – #4
  • Heroes For Hire #2 – #3
  • Ms. Marvel #6 – #8
  • New Avengers #23 – #24
  • Civil War: The Return
  • Captain America/Iron Man: Casualties of War
  • Wolverine #46 – #47
  • Black Panther #23
  • Captain America #24
  • Civil War: Front Line #8
Introspection
  • Wolverine #48
  • Fantastic Four #540
  • Amazing Spider-Man #535
  • Civil War #5
  • Punisher War Journal #1
  • Fantastic Four #541
  • Civil War: War Crimes #1
  • Civil War: Front Line #9
  • Moon Knight #7 – #10
  • Fantastic Four #542
  • Amazing Spider-Man #536
  • Iron Man #14
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14 – #16
  • Blade #5
  • Sensational Spider-Man #32 – #34
  • Winter Solider: Winter Kills #1
Final Battle
  • Amazing Spider-Man #537
  • Black Panther #24
  • Punisher War Journal #2
  • Civil War #6
  • Punisher War Journal #3
  • New Avengers #25
  • Civil War: Front Line #10
  • Civil War #7
  • Black Panther #25
Conclusion
  • Amazing Spider-Man #538 – #539
  • Fantastic Four #543
  • Civil War: Front Line #11
  • Ghost Rider #8Very loose tie-in so passable if you want to get to the real meat below.
[*]Captain America #25
[*]Civil War: Fallen Son #1 – #5
[*]Civil War: The Initiative #1
[*]Civil War: The Confession

Civil War is probably a good place to start. http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Mark-Millar/dp/078512179X

I wouldn't start anyone there. Way too many players. I've been reading and watching a lot of marvel the past couple years and I had no idea who some of those characters were. And how many characters in that book do you think will actually see screen time in the movie?

Civil War is probably a good place to start. http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Mark-Millar/dp/078512179X

I wouldn't start anyone there. Way too many players. I've been reading and watching a lot of marvel the past couple years and I had no idea who some of those characters were. And how many characters in that book do you think will actually see screen time in the movie?
You are right but if Cletius wants his son to some what follow the movies, Civil War really is the right spot given where the movies are headed the next few years.

One other thing he could read would be the Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War books since that is where this phase looks to be ending with the two part Avengers 3 movies.

NR, I see what you mean. Marvel has a lasted reading order on unlimited and it is different from the one you posted. I just read the Civil War title books and it left a lot to be desired. I may give a whole reading a try, ir just jump in where it left off.

Hopefully his son doesn't fall in love with the F4 and X-Men parts...

Worst case scenario he may drag you to the theater for the new F4 movie.

NR, I see what you mean. Marvel has a lasted reading order on unlimited and it is different from the one you posted. I just read the Civil War title books and it left a lot to be desired. I may give a whole reading a try, ir just jump in where it left off.
I think (but not really sure) that some of the differences in the reading order come from some listing pure chronological order (as related to the story itself) and others listing comic book release date order.

Sebowski said:
Hopefully his son doesn't fall in love with the F4 and X-Men parts...

Worst case scenario he may drag you to the theater for the new F4 movie.
We're almost certainly going. Its at our neighborhood theater now. At least they pour FixedGear from Lakefront and have real butter on their popcorn.

I posted a list somewhere that was extensive and deeper than the marvel list. On phone and can't find it

This looks like the exact one nr posted

So I signed up for the one month free at Marvel Unlimited

I have been reading the Secret Wars as layed out by this reading list

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/secret-wars-reading-order/#secretwars1

However, Hulk 293 and 294 are not available on Marvel Unlimited

Anyone remember why he has Banners brain and not Hulk Smash brain

I think after Secret Wars, I am moving on to the Civil War arc found here http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/guide-part-7-civil-war/

Where would you guys go after that?

What is the FFA consensus on Marvel Unlimited? Reviews for Android are not kind to access, format and availability of comics.

It's clunky, but I use it on my phone. The read offline feature saved me on flights. Can save up to 12 books for offline. I keep it at full page veiw and rotate the screen. Might even prefer it to reading on my laptop. A kindle or pad would probably be best though

What is the FFA consensus on Marvel Unlimited? Reviews for Android are not kind to access, format and availability of comics.
I mentioned earlier my son has it for his kindle fire and loves it. Tons of older stuff and appears to be some new stuff as well (I'm not up on the current stuff so I can't tell you). For the kindle fire (if you have one), you have to use this app store:

http://www.1mobile.com/

Mark Ruffalo from an italian interview that was translated on Hulk not being in Cap 3. The last sentence almost sounds like he won't be a part of Avengers Infinity War Part 1.

“The reason is too great to be revealed in this movie (Civil War),” Ruffalo tells BadTaste.it. “I was in the script but then they removed my character. They don’t want to reveal where is he and why. I don’t even know if Hulk will be back soon.”

Mark Ruffalo from an italian interview that was translated on Hulk not being in Cap 3. The last sentence almost sounds like he won't be a part of Avengers Infinity War Part 1.

“The reason is too great to be revealed in this movie (Civil War),” Ruffalo tells BadTaste.it. “I was in the script but then they removed my character. They don’t want to reveal where is he and why. I don’t even know if Hulk will be back soon.”
Sounds like World War Hulk to me.

Sounds like World War Hulk to me.
I'd still like to see a Planet Hulk first - that would be pretty cool and a new way to re-boot the franchise after the crappy start it received from Bana and Norton.

Users who are viewing this thread