What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

Looks like they're going CGI for Spidey's costume because they learned nothing from Green Lantern.

As for the storyline - I wouldn't expect Civil War to match up with the comics.  For one thing, that story would take more than a single movie to tell.  I'm guessing they're calling this Civil War because it's similar to the comic storyline in that you have Team Cap vs Team Iron Man, and that the government is wanting to step in to limit superhumans.  But I wouldn't expect it to match up much beyond that.

I will say that I never read Civil War, so I can't say for certain it won't, just that I would be surprised.
There is no prayer in heck that the movie storyline even touches the comic one, both for content and length.  I expect it to be like the Bourne movies.  Hey there is a guy named Jason Bourne that can kill people and stuff.  That is about where the books and movies parted ways in that series.

jesus christ.  I am 48 years old and could not be more excited for this.  A typical 13 year old has to be in heaven right now.
I'm positively off the chains gaga about this too. Trailer looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of the Marvel films and they rarely disappoint me. This looks like it's gonna be the best one yet. 

"Underoos" :lmao:  

There is no prayer in heck that the movie storyline even touches the comic one, both for content and length.  I expect it to be like the Bourne movies.  Hey there is a guy named Jason Bourne that can kill people and stuff.  That is about where the books and movies parted ways in that series.
They also don't have the full set of characters that were in the comics storyline, even if they could logistically work them in somehow. Without getting into spoilers it'll be really interesting to see what they do with Spidey, as he was a pivotal character as the comics plot unfolded.

Team Cap:

Cap, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch

Team Iron Man:

Iron Man, Black Widow, War Machine, Vison, Black Panther, Spider-Man

Last summer I was thinking that 2014 may have been the peak for this generation of Marvel movies (Winter Soldier & Guardians). But we get this plus Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange later this year. Guardians 2 and Infinity War still ahead... 
Vision is team Iron Man...for now.  I guarantee he flips to team Cap at some point for reasons obvious to nerds who know nerd things.

Besides it's too much muscle on Iron Man's side right now.  I think Spidey will probably flip too.

Agreed.  It looks like they are going with the prison concept pulled from a few sources IIRC.  Some other nerd in here needs to fill in the details because it has been a very long time for me and my nerd brain is failing me.  I bet Officer Pete Malloy could fill in all the details.  But I think it was Hank Pym, Reed Richards and...was it Tony Stark who built some kind of inter-dimensional prison where they tried to contain the bad guys they caught?  That was part of the Civil War wasn't it?  And wasn't there another prison, like Rykers, where a bunch of bad guys were being held and they all escaped at once?

Something like that.  Either way it seems like rather than super hero registration they are creating a super prison to contain the "bad guys" likely without trial and I am guessing that team Iron Man will end up playing fast and loose with the definition of bad guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vison's getting Wanda'd pretty good in the trailer which is interesting.  
I wouldn't mind getting Wanda'd  :wub:  

CAP_Character_1Sht_SWitch_v2_lg.jpg

CREDIT: Marvel Studios
View full size image

CAP_Character_1Sht_Vision_v2_lg.jpg

View full size image

The last time fans saw the cinematic Avengers in action, a new squad had just formed at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron. And while we haven't seen that team in action together yet, according to Captain America: Civil War producer Nate Moore, by the time Civil War hits, the team will have been in action and working closely together for about a year. 

“So Cap, and Falcon, and Wanda, and Natasha, and War Machine, and Vision… they’ve been a group for a year,” Moore told Nerdist. “So they’re probably a little bit closer than that first group of Avengers, who [were] really just pulled from opposite ends of the Earth to do this one thing.”

“That’s why Civil War is powerful, because it’s not a bunch of people who just met each other arguing,” Moore continued. “It’s a bunch of people who spent a year together kind of growing as a unit and becoming real friends all of a sudden being pulled apart.”

According to Nerdist, the Sokovia Accords, which drive Cap and Iron Man apart, are designed to bring superheroes under government regulation - something Tony supports, and Cap opposes. 

Speaking of people who will be pulled apart, one-time comic book couple Vision and Scarlet Witch will find themselves on opposite sides of Civil War's conflict, with Vision joining Team Iron Man and Wanda on Team Cap. Unlike comic books, the pair aren't necessarily romantically linked in the film, but according to Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlet Witch, the pair still share a "uniquely special" connection.

“I think there’s something unique in the fact that her powers come from the same thing that powers him,” Olsen told CinemaBlend, speaking of the Mind Stone that powered Loki’s staff and is now set in Vision’s forehead. “And that is how we made them have that kind of, that specifically in common -- as opposed to it being something else that the comics, kind of created, just being pure romance. But they do have something uniquely special, because of that."

For fans with the endurance to do so, Fandango is now advertising a Civil War movie marathon, similar to what they've done in the past. Select theaters will reportedly show Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Avengers: Age of Ultron all leading up to Captain America: Civil War. Participating theaters have not yet been listed

Or Tony and Cap are being manipulated into fighting one another. By all accounts this film will pave the way for whatever's to come in Infinity War and that means The Avengers in some fashion are fighting a common enemy (Thanos). So it's possible there's some kind of repair of whatever damage is done by the end of the film to set the stage for that to occur. 

I wouldn't mind getting Wanda'd  :wub:  

CAP_Character_1Sht_SWitch_v2_lg.jpg

View full size image

CAP_Character_1Sht_Vision_v2_lg.jpg

View full size image

The last time fans saw the cinematic Avengers in action, a new squad had just formed at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron. And while we haven't seen that team in action together yet, according to Captain America: Civil War producer Nate Moore, by the time Civil War hits, the team will have been in action and working closely together for about a year. 

“So Cap, and Falcon, and Wanda, and Natasha, and War Machine, and Vision… they’ve been a group for a year,” Moore told Nerdist. “So they’re probably a little bit closer than that first group of Avengers, who [were] really just pulled from opposite ends of the Earth to do this one thing.”

“That’s why Civil War is powerful, because it’s not a bunch of people who just met each other arguing,” Moore continued. “It’s a bunch of people who spent a year together kind of growing as a unit and becoming real friends all of a sudden being pulled apart.”

According to Nerdist, the Sokovia Accords, which drive Cap and Iron Man apart, are designed to bring superheroes under government regulation - something Tony supports, and Cap opposes. 

Speaking of people who will be pulled apart, one-time comic book couple Vision and Scarlet Witch will find themselves on opposite sides of Civil War's conflict, with Vision joining Team Iron Man and Wanda on Team Cap. Unlike comic books, the pair aren't necessarily romantically linked in the film, but according to Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Scarlet Witch, the pair still share a "uniquely special" connection.

“I think there’s something unique in the fact that her powers come from the same thing that powers him,” Olsen told CinemaBlend, speaking of the Mind Stone that powered Loki’s staff and is now set in Vision’s forehead. “And that is how we made them have that kind of, that specifically in common -- as opposed to it being something else that the comics, kind of created, just being pure romance. But they do have something uniquely special, because of that."

For fans with the endurance to do so, Fandango is now advertising a Civil War movie marathon, similar to what they've done in the past. Select theaters will reportedly show Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Avengers: Age of Ultron all leading up to Captain America: Civil War. Participating theaters have not yet been listed
Yeah Elizabeth Olsen is more than all right. 

Vision is team Iron Man...for now.  I guarantee he flips to team Cap at some point for reasons obvious to nerds who know nerd things.

Besides it's too much muscle on Iron Man's side right now.  I think Spidey will probably flip too.
Based on the trailers, War Machine might be taken out of the game pretty early as well.

My guesses based on the trailers is that someone fakes another Winter Soldier terrorist attack around the same time Cap & Falcon find the real Winter Soldier. Then Cap is forced to protect his buddy and try to prove him innocent while keeping him out of the governments hands. But trailers can be very misleading so who knows.

Also, CAN'T WAIT@!@$@%!& Got a Fandango email they are already preselling tickets.

Is it possible the CGI suit was a half-assed rush job to get Spiderman in a trailer and will be replaced later?  Or don't I know movies?

Based on the trailers, War Machine might be taken out of the game pretty early as well.

My guesses based on the trailers is that someone fakes another Winter Soldier terrorist attack around the same time Cap & Falcon find the real Winter Soldier. Then Cap is forced to protect his buddy and try to prove him innocent while keeping him out of the governments hands. But trailers can be very misleading so who knows.

Also, CAN'T WAIT@!@$@%!& Got a Fandango email they are already preselling tickets.
He's part of the big showdown scene. I wouldn't think that happens too early in the film, likely near the end. And something's gotta get Tony as pissed as he is when he decks Cap. Rhodes being killed or seriously hurt by Cap and/or Bucky would do it.   

Hate to be all Donald Trump secretive and all, but the Marvel "universe" is about to really, really change.... the bigwigs are aiming for summer 2017 and have their target set on biggest opening ever.  Because of non-disclosures and #### I can't say any more at this point but I assume an announcement will happen soon.  :ph34r:

Hate to be all Donald Trump secretive and all, but the Marvel "universe" is about to really, really change.... the bigwigs are aiming for summer 2017 and have their target set on biggest opening ever.  Because of non-disclosures and #### I can't say any more at this point but I assume an announcement will happen soon.  :ph34r:
:popcorn:

I have learned to never discount what people on this boards say. See calvin is going to retire thread

I can't tell if this should be as interpreted as potentially good news or bad news for those of us who love the Marvel films.  

He's part of the big showdown scene. I wouldn't think that happens too early in the film, likely near the end. And something's gotta get Tony as pissed as he is when he decks Cap. Rhodes being killed or seriously hurt by Cap and/or Bucky would do it.   
My guess would be that that would be probably closer to midway through the film but we will see. Either way, it definitely happens during the first big confrontation. There may very well be more than one. From the second trailer it doesn't look like they are really there to fight at first if they can avoid it, just probably try to take custody of the Winter Soldier with Cap's group protecting him. From there it quickly escalates and gets out of hand and War Machine will be one of the first injured/casualties.

Should be kick ###!

Howard the Duck movie?

My guess would be that that would be probably closer to midway through the film but we will see. Either way, it definitely happens during the first big confrontation. There may very well be more than one. From the second trailer it doesn't look like they are really there to fight at first if they can avoid it, just probably try to take custody of the Winter Soldier with Cap's group protecting him. From there it quickly escalates and gets out of hand and War Machine will be one of the first injured/casualties.

Should be kick ###!
It really looks f'n fantastic. 

Interesting. Marvel has 2 summer 2017 movies scheduled right now, Guardians 2 in May and Spider-Man in July. Would be exciting to see another major set of characters move back over. The Fantastic Four makes a lot of sense and would work perfectly with Spider-Man but I'm not sure that's really major event worthy either. The X-men would be another story, but that seems unlikely since Fox seems be hitting a little stride there.

pm please. What movie could be coming out that hasn't been announced?

Should be kick ###!
If you watch this trailer, unlike with Iron Man and Black Panther, War Machine's face isn't shown - just the helmet with the faceplate down.  Maybe there's a surprise inside?

informed and he's into cuddling?   :wub:  

Does anyone else find the buildup to Spidey somewhat amusing?  I get it from the business perspective but it almost looks like Tony holds Spidey as his trump card. Looking at the character's abilities he ranks well below Vision, and below Iron Man and War Machine.  Maybe on par with Black Panther.  But this is just marketing, I hope it isn't built up too much in the movie.  (for once I want to see a buildup, clearly show why each person sides with their side - I would have thought Natasha would side with Steve and Hawkeye.  Ant-man is a wildcard, it doesn't seem clear to me which side he'd be on except he probably dislikes spiders)

ETA: and Hulk's absence is disappointing.  Of course, Bruce is hanging out on an island somewhere, but if he were to enter this fight it would be interesting.  Presumably he'd side with Steve.

Does anyone else find the buildup to Spidey somewhat amusing?  I get it from the business perspective but it almost looks like Tony holds Spidey as his trump card. Looking at the character's abilities he ranks well below Vision, and below Iron Man and War Machine.  Maybe on par with Black Panther.  But this is just marketing, I hope it isn't built up too much in the movie.  (for once I want to see a buildup, clearly show why each person sides with their side - I would have thought Natasha would side with Steve and Hawkeye.  Ant-man is a wildcard, it doesn't seem clear to me which side he'd be on except he probably dislikes spiders)

ETA: and Hulk's absence is disappointing.  Of course, Bruce is hanging out on an island somewhere, but if he were to enter this fight it would be interesting.  Presumably he'd side with Steve.
Hulk has to be missing and was missing in the comics version as well. He's simply to powerful and could take on that whole group and come out on top.

Spidey would crush Black Panther.  He can lift cars, standing jump three stories high and senses danger before it happens (you can't hurt what you can't touch).  In this group he qualifies as a heavy hitter.

Hulk has to be missing and was missing in the comics version as well. He's simply to powerful and could take on that whole group and come out on top.
Pretty much but it's not quite the comic book version of Hulk.  Iron Man did knock him out in Age of Ultron. 

I'm not a comic book reader so maybe I'm missing something that would outrage those who are but I thought Spidey's outfit looked fine. I don't have any issues with it at all. 

I'm not a comic book reader so maybe I'm missing something that would outrage those who are but I thought Spidey's outfit looked fine. I don't have any issues with it at all. 
I think the issue comes from it looking fake, almost unfinished. But I didn't think it looked any worse than any of the other movie costumes.

I think the issue comes from it looking fake, almost unfinished. But I didn't think it looked any worse than any of the other movie costumes.
I didn't think it looked any faker than any other comic book character outfit. Looked fine. I didn't think twice about it until I came here and saw some people were upset. Aren't comic book fans excited that his eyes were squinting or whatever? I thought that was supposed to be a really big deal. 

It did look pretty CGI to me as well, but they are probably still finishing up post production maybe still fine tuning the CGI?

Im not upset about it but it looked awful. Thats all I was saying. Not sure how comic fans and non fans couldnt see the same. 

And cappys opinion means nothing to me. He likes the lightning

You guys need your eyes checked.  It looking glaringly bad.  Bad enough to jar you back to reality and disrupt being sucked into the story.  It was like a different resolution than the rest of the cgi elements or something.

Seriously, if it isn't standing out to you, go see your eye doctor. 

You guys need your eyes checked.  It looking glaringly bad.  Bad enough to jar you back to reality and disrupt being sucked into the story.  It was like a different resolution than the rest of the cgi elements or something.

Seriously, if it isn't standing out to you, go see your eye doctor. 
Did you look at the high res shot I posted up above? 

Users who are viewing this thread