What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (3 Viewers)

After credits is a scene and it's great. 

Movie is PHENOMENAL. Takes a while to get going (there is some boring scenes in the first 45) but when it gets rolling it's a real treat. Spider-Man is fantastic, 5 stars for that casting. I kept wanting to see more. 

I've seen 10 of the 13 now (no IM 2 or 3 or Thor 2) and this is at the top with Avengers 1 and Guardians. 
You don't think CA2 was the best?

Excellent movie. Right up there with the best in the series.

Not sure how they are going to flesh out Black Panther for an entire movie without adding another avenger or 2, but it was a good introduction here.

Ant-Man and Spider Man were great in this.

After advertising itself as Civil war, its obvious that there are sides and they will fight each other. When they do it is kinda anti-climactic, but the real fight is near the end and it is brutal.

Doesn't have Hulk or Thor, but pretty much every other Avenger is here,

If forced to rank where we are at after 13 of these movies. Maybe Civil War drops a spot or 2 once I sit on this for a few days/weeks.

1 - Marvel's The Avengers - The challenge of bring all the elements into play and with a relatively low level villain like Loki was a masterful job by Wheadon. Class A filmmaking.

2 - Thor - I know many don't like this or others have it rated lower, but I like the direction by Brannagh and the heart of the battle between Loki and Thor. To me this is believably emotional and it struck  big chord with me

3 - Captain America: Civil War - This could have been a mess with so many characters all begging for screen time, but holds it together well and doesn't shirk it's title.

4 - Iron Man - This movie was such a breath of fresh air, and every cent Marvel gives to Robert Downey Jr will be worth it. He set this franchise up with this iconic film.

5 - Guardians of the Galaxy - Such a pleasant shock at how good this was. Fun, serious and engaging story telling at its best 

6 - Ant-Man - Another fun surprise. The likeability of Rudd is key to the success of this, but the impact of Michael Douglas is key too.

7 - Iron Man 2 - Expanded the Marvel universe beyond Iron Man and continued with a brilliant sequel to the original.

8 - Captain America: Winter Soldier - This Captain America was a much better told story than the first one.

9 - Avengers: Age of Ultron - Special effects bonanza at the expense of storytelling. A disappointment after the first avengers movie. Still great when compared to other movies, but not up to the standard of other Marvel movies

10 - Iron Man 3 - Like Age of Ultron, too keen to show off special effects instead of concentrating on Downey.

11 - Captain America: The First Avenger - This one was safe and didn't really add much, except giving us more about Hydra. Still enjoyable though

12 - Thor: Dark World - I loved the first one, but this one was boring and took us nowhere

13 - The Incredible Hulk - Needs Ruffalo as Banner and is barely worthy of being in the Marvel series
Excellent write up.  But Iron Man 3 was complete dog ####, and Winter Soldier is top 3 or 4 at worst.

Seeing Civil War Sunday and watching Winter Soldier tonight and Ultron Saturday just to get up to speed.

Overrated:

The Avengers (The culmination of what....six movies setting this up gives us a cliched  Good Guys Meet - Good Guys Fight - Good Guys Become Pals to Save the World story?  Doesn't hold up.

Age Of Ultron:  All over the place.  2.5 hours long....yet felt rushed and tedious at the same time. 

Underrated:

Iron Man 2 - Downey's better in this one than any of the others.

Guardians of the Galaxy - It gets a lot of love....but IMO, is the best MARVEL movie. It has the most heart...to the casual viewer it was the most unpredictable (most people didn't know if anyone was expendable) and (like someone here said before) it made a #### ton of money with a talking raccoon and walking tree.  

Here are my updated tiers (no specific order in each tier)

Elite

• Iron Man
  • Avengers
  • GotG
  • Winter Soldier
  • Civil War
Really Good

• Thor
  • Ant-Man
  • Age of Ultron
Good

• Iron Man 2
  • First Avenger
  • Thor: TDW
  • Iron Man 3
Okay

• Incredible Hulk

Hov34 said:
Excellent write up.  But Iron Man 3 was complete dog ####, and Winter Soldier is top 3 or 4 at worst
Agree totally. The Bad guys with the energy powers were uninteresting to me, don't know exactly why, but they were ho-hum. The unlimited suits and them making it easier and easier for him to put them on I hate. Taking away that limitation I don't care for. It wouldn't shock me if they use the Pym Particle tech so he can have a few dozen suits on a bracelet or something.

The relationship with the kid seemed thrown in too. Take that out and put something in that drives the plot or adds to the Stark character.

Really enjoyed it. I wouldn't rank it ahead of The Avengers as my favorite Marvel film. I'd put it on par with Winter Soldier as the second-best Marvel film. So much going on I'll definitely need a second viewing to take it all in. Really did a great job of detailing both sides of the conflict between Cap and Tony. I won't get into any spoilers. Will say I think Tom Holland may be the best Spidey yet. After this I'm really looking to his solo film. And Chadwick Boseman slays as Black Panther. Also looking forward to his solo film as well.

Definitely make sure you sit through to the very end of the film for the final end credits scene. Can't believe people were walking out before that in the viewing I was at.    

Last edited by a moderator:
We enjoyed it as well. And Marissa Tomei is fine as Aunt May

I dont know where I would rank it but I think Ant Man is my favorite. This might come after it, then Avengers 1

Agree that the set up was a bit big for what actually happened, but it made perfect sense while not staying true to the comic story. 

Wanda is super hot

Spidey was awesome

Black Panther was awesome. Was that the guy in 42. Need to look him up, def seen him before. 

Yup, Black Panther was Jackie Robinson. He was also Vonte Mack. He really did a great job. Excited to see more from that story line

I was convinced by the Fox movies that Spider-Man was just not able to be transferred to the screen.  Marvel, with one try, got everything right about the character.  Every minute he's on the screen made me want more.  But please, for the love of God, no more Spider-Man origin stories.  We get it.  Oy Vey enough already

My daughter whispered to me that spidey looked like a cartoon. But my kids are running around going oh and then mouthing sh#t. They think that is the funniest part. My son was dying when he is in the middle of fighting Bucky and says, whoa, you have a metal arm, awesome. 

They also enjoyed the episode 5 nod  since they just got into SW

What does the future hold in 4 or 5 years?

Not sure, but you have no-less then 154 "Marvel Team-Up" comics.  ;)
They've had a lot of things pointing in the direction of the Infinity Gauntlet, so that's on tap for sure. 

It's not the biggest deal in the Marvel Universe, but I'd like to see the Spider-Man 'Death of Jean Dewolff' storyline done right.  (Planet Hulk would be fun too)

So now it is out, is it time for a Captain America; Civil War thread for those who have seen the movie so it doesn't end up spoilered in here?

I was convinced by the Fox movies that Spider-Man was just not able to be transferred to the screen.  Marvel, with one try, got everything right about the character.  Every minute he's on the screen made me want more.  But please, for the love of God, no more Spider-Man origin stories.  We get it.  Oy Vey enough already
I think they've said the next one with Holland won't be an orgin story and I agree thank f'n God for that.

Fox did not make the 5 previous Spiderman movies, Sony did (via their subsidiary Columbia Pictures).

I loved Holland in this movie but I think it is a lot easier to create a splash with 10 minutes of screen time versus having to carry an entire movie so I am holding out judgement until his full movie come out.

Fox did not make the 5 previous Spiderman movies, Sony did (via their subsidiary Columbia Pictures).

I loved Holland in this movie but I think it is a lot easier to create a splash with 10 minutes of screen time versus having to carry an entire movie so I am holding out judgement until his full movie come out.
Oh right, Sony.  Fox is the one that's busy destroying the Fantastic Four.

I get what you're saying, but it just seems like Marvel knows he's basically the "gee whiz" nice guy version of Deadpool.  Sony never seemed to want to have fun with spidey (outside of that nightmarish emo thing)

Another home run.  Batman v Superman struggled juggling less characters.  This had a chance to be overstuffed but I really enjoyed it.  Just like the rest, great action and humor with a well done plot.  Updated rankings:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Avengers 2
Really Liked:

• Thor 2
  • Ant-Man
  • Cap
  • Thor
Still Good:

• IM2
  • IM3
  • Hulk (Norton)

Watched Cap 2 then fell asleep in the middle of Ultron last night to prep for tonight. ####### awesome. Nailed everything except knocking off Crossbones. That was stupid. Why not give him an out? Anyway, glorious in almost every way. So much better then Ultraturd.

Another home run.  Batman v Superman struggled juggling less characters.  This had a chance to be overstuffed but I really enjoyed it.  Just like the rest, great action and humor with a well done plot.  Updated rankings:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Avengers 2
Really Liked:

• Thor 2
  • Ant-Man
  • Cap
  • Thor
Still Good:

• IM2
  • IM3
  • Hulk (Norton)
Pretty spot on for me too, I'd probably throw Avengers 2 to "Really Liked" but otherwise nailed it.

Just about all parts.

I think it will beat the 2nd Avengers movie, maybe even the 1st.

I think people will see it because while it's not an Avengers movie in name, it is in the cast.

I think that this will do better than Cap 2.

I do agree with your last part.
According to the-numbers.com (domestic numbers):

The Avengers opening weekend:  $207.4 million.

The Avengers 2 opening weekend:  $191.3 million.

Civil War opening weekend:  $181.8 million.

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Avengers 2
Really Liked:

• Thor 2
  • Ant-Man
  • Cap
  • Thor
Still Good:

• IM2
  • IM3
  • Hulk (Norton)
I'd move Ant-man to Absolutely loved, probably bump A2 down to really liked, and I didn't really enjoy the bottom 3.  How have they not redone Hulk with Ruffalo?  Or will they explore his current location in an upcoming movie (Please Please Please)

I'd move Ant-man to Absolutely loved, probably bump A2 down to really liked, and I didn't really enjoy the bottom 3.  How have they not redone Hulk with Ruffalo?  Or will they explore his current location in an upcoming movie (Please Please Please)
Hulk will be in Thor 3, but there are no plans for a solo movie. Hulk movies have underperformed in the past.

Agreed. With Ruffalo on board and the collective vision of this universe, I think they could create a great movie. 
I actually really liked The Incredible Hulk with Norton, which was part of the MCU.

I think the problem in the past has been that with a Hulk solo movie, viewers want to see a lot of the Hulk.  But the Hulk is CGI, and therefore expensive to give screen time to.  In the Avengers movies, and likely in the upcoming Thor movie, you don't have to worry about that too much - first off, you have other heroes, so you don't need the Hulk to be in much of the film.  Also, since those other heroes can provide action, you don't need Hulk, you can have Banner instead.

One movie Hulk movie that a lot of people want to see is something with Planet Hulk.  There's almost no Banner in that, and a lot of other characters that would require CGI.  That gets to be a very expensive movie.  Couple that with the poor performance of previous Hulk movies, and it may not be worth it.

Couple of tidbits

* On the set of Guardians 2, Jamie Gunn tweeted a pic of him holding Mjolnir.  It might have been just him goofing on fans or it might be the tie that gets Starlord back to Earth for Infinity Wars

* Jeff Goldbloom, Cata Blanchete, and Carl Urban have officially been announced as part of the cast for Thor Ragnorok.  Goldbloom will play the movies main vilian Grandmaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there ever a chance that we will get a origins type movie about the baby groot we saw at the end of guardians of a galaxy that would rule i just like that groot dude he is all right in the old swcers book take that to the bank bromigos 

One movie Hulk movie that a lot of people want to see is something with Planet Hulk.  There's almost no Banner in that, and a lot of other characters that would require CGI.  That gets to be a very expensive movie.  Couple that with the poor performance of previous Hulk movies, and it may not be worth it.
Could audiences accept an animated movie being part of the MCU canon?

Excellent movie. Right up there with the best in the series.

Not sure how they are going to flesh out Black Panther for an entire movie without adding another avenger or 2, but it was a good introduction here.

Ant-Man and Spider Man were great in this.

After advertising itself as Civil war, its obvious that there are sides and they will fight each other. When they do it is kinda anti-climactic, but the real fight is near the end and it is brutal.

Doesn't have Hulk or Thor, but pretty much every other Avenger is here,

If forced to rank where we are at after 13 of these movies. Maybe Civil War drops a spot or 2 once I sit on this for a few days/weeks.

1 - Marvel's The Avengers - The challenge of bring all the elements into play and with a relatively low level villain like Loki was a masterful job by Wheadon. Class A filmmaking.

2 - Thor - I know many don't like this or others have it rated lower, but I like the direction by Brannagh and the heart of the battle between Loki and Thor. To me this is believably emotional and it struck  big chord with me

3 - Captain America: Civil War - This could have been a mess with so many characters all begging for screen time, but holds it together well and doesn't shirk it's title.

4 - Iron Man - This movie was such a breath of fresh air, and every cent Marvel gives to Robert Downey Jr will be worth it. He set this franchise up with this iconic film.

5 - Guardians of the Galaxy - Such a pleasant shock at how good this was. Fun, serious and engaging story telling at its best

6 - Ant-Man - Another fun surprise. The likeability of Rudd is key to the success of this, but the impact of Michael Douglas is key too.

7 - Iron Man 2 - Expanded the Marvel universe beyond Iron Man and continued with a brilliant sequel to the original.

8 - Captain America: Winter Soldier - This Captain America was a much better told story than the first one.

9 - Avengers: Age of Ultron - Special effects bonanza at the expense of storytelling. A disappointment after the first avengers movie. Still great when compared to other movies, but not up to the standard of other Marvel movies

10 - Iron Man 3 - Like Age of Ultron, too keen to show off special effects instead of concentrating on Downey.

11 - Captain America: The First Avenger - This one was safe and didn't really add much, except giving us more about Hydra. Still enjoyable though

12 - Thor: Dark World - I loved the first one, but this one was boring and took us nowhere

13 - The Incredible Hulk - Needs Ruffalo as Banner and is barely worthy of being in the Marvel series
Looking at this list, it's truly amazing how well the MCU has been put together. I don't agree with every placement, and I definately hav my favorites, but even the worst movies (Dark World probably my lowest) were still pretty darn good. I might place Dark World last, but I still very much enjoyed the movie.

I get that you are being cheeky so I am going to assume you also see that what George Lucas did in 1999 is entirely irrelevant to the MCU in 2016.
Speaking of irrelevant, the animated movies in the past are not part of the MCU, so it was a fair question. Can Marvel try do an animated theatrical big release that is part of the MCU? Namely, with Hulk to solve the perceived issues with doing a Hulk movie (issues I disagree with)? 

Most of the Marvel films are majority animated already.  Don't see how this would make a difference.
People wouldn't turn up for that at all. There is a big difference between cgi and some ####ty animation you would see on Disney XD. 

People wouldn't turn up for that at all. There is a big difference between cgi and some ####ty animation you would see on Disney XD. 
Who's talking about some ####ty animation?  How much of Age of Ultron or Cap Civil War, or any other MCU film,is green screen and CGI (which is animation)?  No reason you can't do that with a Hulk movie and have it be successful.

Who's talking about some ####ty animation?  How much of Age of Ultron or Cap Civil War, or any other MCU film,is green screen and CGI (which is animation)?  No reason you can't do that with a Hulk movie and have it be successful.
There is a big difference with cgi and actual actors and animation. It's not the same thing at all. 

There is a big difference with cgi and actual actors and animation. It's not the same thing at all. 
I know (but, again, CGI is animation) I don't think anyone is pushing for a Japanese anime (or Captain Caveman style animation) version of Planet Hulk.   But there isn't much difference between what we are getting from the MCU right now and what a Planet Hulk movie would require.  There are some clever people in Hollywood, I am sure they could write in a live actor or two to play against the CGI characters on the green screen. 

Users who are viewing this thread