What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (2 Viewers)

I know (but, again, CGI is animation) I don't think anyone is pushing for a Japanese anime (or Captain Caveman style animation) version of Planet Hulk.   But there isn't much difference between what we are getting from the MCU right now and what a Planet Hulk movie would require.  There are some clever people in Hollywood, I am sure they could write in a live actor or two to play against the CGI characters on the green screen. 
CGI isn't animation in terms of ease and cost. CGI is what add huge dollar amounts to a movie's budget. Animation doesn't. A Hulk movie like Planet Hulk or World War Hulk would likely be the most costly movie to date for Marvel.

CGI isn't animation in terms of ease and cost. CGI is what add huge dollar amounts to a movie's budget. Animation doesn't. A Hulk movie like Planet Hulk or World War Hulk would likely be the most costly movie to date for Marvel.
More than a talking tree and raccoon?

Sure but I am just not sure a Planet Hulk movie would necessarily have more CGI than GoG or AoE.
Not sure how many characters in Planet Hulk could be a real actor in makeup though with pretty much an entire planet of aliens.

Speaking of irrelevant, the animated movies in the past are not part of the MCU, so it was a fair question. Can Marvel try do an animated theatrical big release that is part of the MCU? Namely, with Hulk to solve the perceived issues with doing a Hulk movie (issues I disagree with)? 
I think the characters of the PLANET HULK storyline could be altered enough to not break the bank on the  CGI.  The real problem with doing Planet Hulk is that the MCU story isn't set up to make a Planet Hulk story meaningful.  The powers that be in the MCU aren't pissed/scared enough of the Hulk to send him off into space.  They might have been able to do it as a prelude to Civil War (Stark and Ross, worried that The Hulk wouldn't be willing to be controlled just blast him off into space).......but not now. 

Not sure how many characters in Planet Hulk could be a real actor in makeup though with pretty much an entire planet of aliens.
Virtually every character in GoG were some form of alien species and virtually all of them were actors in make up.  Who are the characters in Planet Hulk and what would they be like on film?

Red King, Elloe Kaifi, Hiroim & Caiera could all be played by normal actors in makeup (they could write Lavin Skee out completely, but if they didn't he would also be an actor in makeup).  As would all of the Sakaar.  That leaves Hulk, Miek, Brood & Korg as being necessarily animated along with whatever crazy CGI enemies they throw at them.

It just doesn't seem too daunting relative to films like GoG and AoU.

ETA: Additionally, unlike the Avengers movies, there is only one "big name" actor associated with the film in Ruffalo.  So they wouldn't be burning budget on talent at nearly the same click as an Avengers film or Civil War.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad guys I have been writing AoE when I meant AoU (Age of Ultron).  Must be going back to my Age of Empires gaming days.

Speaking of irrelevant, the animated movies in the past are not part of the MCU, so it was a fair question. Can Marvel try do an animated theatrical big release that is part of the MCU? Namely, with Hulk to solve the perceived issues with doing a Hulk movie (issues I disagree with)? 
I think the characters of the PLANET HULK storyline could be altered enough to not break the bank on the  CGI.  The real problem with doing Planet Hulk is that the MCU story isn't set up to make a Planet Hulk story meaningful.  The powers that be in the MCU aren't pissed/scared enough of the Hulk to send him off into space.  They might have been able to do it as a prelude to Civil War (Stark and Ross, worried that The Hulk wouldn't be willing to be controlled just blast him off into space).......but not now. 
Thats an easy work around whereas Hulk/Banner could determine that he is too much of a danger/risk after AoU and jettisoned himself out into space in his stolen quinjet.  

Thats an easy work around whereas Hulk/Banner could determine that he is too much of a danger/risk after AoU and jettisoned himself out into space in his stolen quinjet.  
Banner is going to be a main character in Thor:Ragnarok so that's likely the storyline as to where Banner went after AoU.

Banner is going to be a main character in Thor:Ragnarok so that's likely the storyline as to where Banner went after AoU.
I can't do spoiler text for some reason, but I agree with this and it fits in with what I've read about Ragnarok.

I can't do spoiler text for some reason, but I agree with this and it fits in with what I've read about Ragnarok.
If the buttons don't work you can always just use [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] without the spaces before the spoiler.

Hulk and Thor are teaming up in Thor 3: Ragnarok. Speculation is because the Hulk films were bombs and the Thor films, while successful, have been the least performing of the MCU movies, hence the buddy team up (plus the obvious fun chemistry between them in the Avengers films and in a continuity standpoint they are both very powerful beings.) Seems unlikely there will be another stand alone Hulk movie for a long while, especially when they already have a busy schedule establishing solo films for Dr Strange, Ms Marvel, Black Panther, Spidey reboot, sequels to Antman, GotG, (I think Inhumans has been pushed out indefinitely.)

Who knows what phase 4 which will start sometime in 2019/2020 will look like at this point, maybe by then there will be a solo Hulk movie on the docket. There are rumors that Downey has changed his mind and now would consider doing an Iron Man 4 too.

But isn't the pop from Planet Hulk when he decides to come back after the poop hits the fan courtesy of Stark/Richards?  Kind of neutors the story a bit if he's exiling himself.

ETA: I'd rather them do a Planet Hulk storyline as the backbone for the next Phase in the MCU.  Then they could take their time with it and have the characters more true to the original story. 

A Planet Hulk Phase would also be a nice way to include The Inhumans movie they punted out of Phase One. 

Thunderlips said:
But isn't the pop from Planet Hulk when he decides to come back after the poop hits the fan courtesy of Stark/Richards?  Kind of neutors the story a bit if he's exiling himself.

ETA: I'd rather them do a Planet Hulk storyline as the backbone for the next Phase in the MCU.  Then they could take their time with it and have the characters more true to the original story. 

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-thor-ragnarok-will-draw-influence-from-planet-hulk-guardians-2-villain-revealed

A new report from JoBloclaims that Thor will encounter Hulk as the latter engages in a gladiatorial battle on a distant planet.

Though the report doesn't specify just how Hulk and Thor end up on said planet, it looks like Jeff Goldblum's Grandmaster will play a role in it: Hulk will be a participant in the Grandmaster's games, and he'll be wearing the one-shoulder armor from Greg PakCarlo Pagulayan and Aaron Lopresti's "Planet Hulk" run when Thor finds him.

There are other spoilers, which include potential villians and storyline plots in the article, but I stopped at the Planet Hulk piece since that is the discussion point. 

Peak said:
At the end of AoU they mentioned they found the stolen quinjet in the Pacific I think.  Your point stands that he could take himself out of the equation.

First Luke Cage Trailer has dropped!

I'll be there.  Looks awesome!  And who appears to be the bad guy is the dude from House of Cards.
So there's going to be a Luke Cage series, an Iron Fist series, and a defenders series. Are they going to have a 2nd Jessica Jones season? What is the order of release? I know defenders comes out in 2017, so do we get one or both of Cage and Fist before Jessica Jones in November? Or are they not doing a Jessica Jones in November.

I want answers and I have no way to get them! (actually I am just too lazy to look it up on the interwebs)

So there's going to be a Luke Cage series, an Iron Fist series, and a defenders series. Are they going to have a 2nd Jessica Jones season? What is the order of release? I know defenders comes out in 2017, so do we get one or both of Cage and Fist before Jessica Jones in November? Or are they not doing a Jessica Jones in November.

I want answers and I have no way to get them! (actually I am just too lazy to look it up on the interwebs)
Here's a link to the answers to your questions.

New trailer for Doctor Strange.

Also, Brie Larson announced as Captain Marvel.  Kurt Russell is playing Star Lord's father in GotG2.

They also showed footage of Spider-Man and GotG2 at SDCC, but they haven't released that yet.

Thank you. That was most helpful
From Chakas link...

Series

Season

Episodes

First aired

Last aired

Showrunner(s)

Status

Marvel's Cloak and Dagger

1[119]

TBA

2017[120]

TBA

TBD

In development

Marvel's Cloak and Dagger

Tyrone Johnson and Tandy Bowen, two teenagers from different backgrounds, acquire superpowers while forming a romantic relationship. They soon realize that their powers work better when they are together, "but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging."[119]

In April 2016, the ABC-owned network Freeform announced a straight-to-series order for Marvel's Cloak and Dagger, based on the characters of the same name,[119] calling it their "first venture into the Marvel Cinematic Universe", and describing the show as a "superhero love story".[121] The first season is set to air in 2017.[120]
:thumbup:  

Was that Kublai Khan?
Not sure who you're talking about so I can't say who they were, but none of them were Kublai Khan.

The bald woman was The Ancient One. The Asian man is Wong. The black guy is Baron Mordo. And the bad guy, who says "I am death" and has what looks like burns around his eyes, is Kaecilius.

Not sure who you're talking about so I can't say who they were, but none of them were Kublai Khan.

The bald woman was The Ancient One. The Asian man is Wong. The black guy is Baron Mordo. And the bad guy, who says "I am death" and has what looks like burns around his eyes, is Kaecilius.
Sorry, I shouldn't post like everyone knows what I'm thinking. The guy that tells him "be careful what path..." sounds like the guy who plays Kublai Kahn in Netflix's "Marco Polo" series. 

ETA: so as to not be "that guy", I looked it up and it is the same guy. 

Never heard of her. 
She won the Best Actress Oscar this year for Room.  She's the girl in the new Kong movie.  And she played Amy Schumer's sister in Trainwreck.  And that's just in the last couple years.  I heard she was good in 21 Jump Street, but I've never seen that movie, so I can't say.

bcdjr1 said:
She won the Best Actress Oscar this year for Room.  She's the girl in the new Kong movie.  And she played Amy Schumer's sister in Trainwreck.  And that's just in the last couple years.  I heard she was good in 21 Jump Street, but I've never seen that movie, so I can't say.

Ah. Her. Ok. Never saw any of her other stuff and don't pay attention to the oscars. It's a joke award. 

Chaka said:
Really? That is some more serious star power that Marvel is reeling in.  Good for them.

Liking the casting calls for Black Panther too.
I'm not saying she can't act. I just don't see her as Ms. Marvel. Ms.Marvel is a badass, and Brie Larson doesnt give off that vibe.

Morgan Freeman is a great actor, too, but I dont want them to cast him as Hugh Jackman's replacement as Wolverine.

I'm not saying she can't act. I just don't see her as Ms. Marvel. Ms.Marvel is a badass, and Brie Larson doesnt give off that vibe.

Morgan Freeman is a great actor, too, but I dont want them to cast him as Hugh Jackman's replacement as Wolverine.
They turned Scarlett Johansson into Natasha Romanov, Russian super-spy badass. Her biggest action movie before that was The Island. I think Brie will be fine.

And Paul Rudd plays a great Antman

so excited for Luke Cage.

so unexcited for another Spider-man. even though I liked the actor in Civil War.

Already posted?  But saw it within an article earlier today and figured it was worth posting...

• Doctor Strange opens November 4, 2016,
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – May 5, 2017
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming – July 7, 2017
  • Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017
  • Black Panther – February 16, 2018
  • Avengers: Infinity War – May 4, 2018
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp – July 6, 2018
  • Captain Marvel – March 8, 2019
  • (Untitled) Avengers – May 3, 2019
  • and as-yet Three (3) untitled Marvel movies on May 1, July 10 and November 6, 2020.

:popcorn: x12

Users who are viewing this thread