What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

When Dr. Strange was meeting with Thor in the credits scene for Dr. Strange, he specifically mentioned that he wanted to know why both Thor and Loki were on Earth, IIRC.

Five more after Thor 1. So far he's been in Thor 2 and Avengers. That means Thor 3 and the next 2 Avengers movies most likely to wrap up his contract.
I'd be surprised if Loki wasn't in one of the next two Avengers films at least. They're bringing in pretty much everyone in the MCU. Can't believe they'd leave out Hiddleston. 

Thor Ragnarok looks freakin awesome. Love the "We know each other. He's a friend from work."  :lmao:
Anyone heard any serious speculation that Hulk's presence in Ragnarok is a setup for maybe a Planet Hulk series? Seems like a good opportunity to get him to that universe because...magic.

Despite how good Ruffalo is and how popular he's been as the Hulk Marvel doesn't appear interested in a Hulk-standalone film. Part of me understands that since they have so many irons in the fire but it definitely seems like a wasted opportunity if they don't do it. Ruffalo could easily carry his own film. 

Despite how good Ruffalo is and how popular he's been as the Hulk Marvel doesn't appear interested in a Hulk-standalone film. Part of me understands that since they have so many irons in the fire but it definitely seems like a wasted opportunity if they don't do it. Ruffalo could easily carry his own film. 
Marvel isn't interested in doing another Hulk MCU movie because the last one made less money than any other MCU movie. And the Ang Lee Hulk movie did about the same. They just don't make money like the others.

Marvel isn't interested in doing another Hulk MCU movie because the last one made less money than any other MCU movie. And the Ang Lee Hulk movie did about the same. They just don't make money like the others.
The first one was complete chit. Second one with Norton was better. 

Again, though, the difference now is Ruffalo is hugely popular as the character which is an advantage he has over the prior two films. There's a strong built-in audience for him as Banner/Hulk which is different than the last two films that were trying to sell the character on the big screen. Ruffalo's already done that. Now they would just need to come up with a good script for him. 

Again, though, the difference now is Ruffalo is hugely popular as the character which is an advantage he has over the prior two films. There's a strong built-in audience for him as Banner/Hulk which is different than the last two films that were trying to sell the character on the big screen. Ruffalo's already done that. Now they would just need to come up with a good script for him. 
yeah, they just need to drag in a couple of the others with tie-ins.

yeah, they just need to drag in a couple of the others with tie-ins.
It's been speculated that this is the reason they put Hulk in the new Thor movie. The Thor movies, while still successful, haven't made nearly as much money as the other movies so they are teaming up Thor and Hulk together this go around.

It's been speculated that this is the reason they put Hulk in the new Thor movie. The Thor movies, while still successful, haven't made nearly as much money as the other movies so they are teaming up Thor and Hulk together this go around.
Smart move. Also putting in Dr. Strange into the Thor film as well. Marvel knows what its doing. 

If Quicksilver is Magneto's son, would his powers have been from Magneto's staff?
Quicksilver can't be Magneto's son in the MCU. Magneto doesn't exist in the MCU. 

F'n contracts and franchise rights and all that hoo ha. So the MCU/Quicksilver is different than the ones we see in the X-Men films. 

Smart move. Also putting in Dr. Strange into the Thor film as well. Marvel knows what its doing. 
Yeah, their brief scenes together in both Avengers (especially the first) were gold. Should be a good combination.

Marvel hasn't announced anything for Phase 4 yet but we are getting close. Downey was interviewed last year saying he would be willing to do an IM4. Evans is willing to do more movies if they get him a contract extension like Downey. Inhumans seems to be tabled for now. Gotta figure Guardians 3, Dr. S 2 are already on the docket with possibly AntMan 3, Spidey 2, BP 2 and Ms Marvel 2 planned based on how the box office goes for those. Maybe we will get a new Hulk movie then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, their brief scenes together in both Avengers (especially the first) were gold. Should be a good combination.

Marvel hasn't announced anything for Phase 4 yet but we are getting close. Downey was interviewed last year saying he would be willing to do an IM4. Inhumans seems to be tabled for now. Gotta figure something like Guardians 3, Dr. S 2 are on the docket. Maybe we will get a new Hulk movie then?
Gotta think Dr. Strange is the key figure moving forward. Cumberbatch is a big star and if the decision is made to transition away from the original Avengers core you'd think Marvel would want a big star at the center of their films. Downey's reigned in that role but Cumberbatch could join him there if that's the way Marvel wants to go with Strange. The fact he's appearing in the next Thor film plus the Avengers films tells me this may be exactly what Marvel wants to do with Phase 4.

Still hoping they don't just abandon the original Avengers group. Downey's freakin awesome obviously but Evans has really taken the Cap role and made it great and the next Thor film looks like it could be incredible. Plus, if Whedon pushes hard enough he could just get a Black Widow film made.

Gotta think Dr. Strange is the key figure moving forward. Cumberbatch is a big star and if the decision is made to transition away from the original Avengers core you'd think Marvel would want a big star at the center of their films. Downey's reigned in that role but Cumberbatch could join him there if that's the way Marvel wants to go with Strange. The fact he's appearing in the next Thor film plus the Avengers films tells me this may be exactly what Marvel wants to do with Phase 4.

Still hoping they don't just abandon the original Avengers group. Downey's freakin awesome obviously but Evans has really taken the Cap role and made it great. And if Whedon pushes hard enough he could just get a Black Widow film made.
Yeah, edited my post to include a possible Spidey 2, Ms Marvel 2, BP 2, Ant-Man 3.

I honestly can't see any possibility they don't extend Evans and do another Cap movie. Even if it is just to work in something like him handing off the Captain America mantel to Bucky or Falcon like in the comics. Cap 2 & 3 were just awesome and just printed money hand over fist.

Yeah, edited my post to include a possible Spidey 2, Ms Marvel 2, BP 2, Ant-Man 3.

I honestly can't see any possibility they don't extend Evans and do another Cap movie. Even if it is just to work in something like him handing off the Captain America mantel to Bucky or Falcon like in the comics. Cap 2 & 3 were just awesome and just printed money hand over fist.
Yeah it wouldn't make any financial sense not to do at least one more considering how great the last two were. If Evans is on board, and he reportedly wants to keep doing the character after his contract ends, then it'd be nuts not to do at least one more. 

Yeah it wouldn't make any financial sense not to do at least one more considering how great the last two were. If Evans is on board, and he reportedly wants to keep doing the character after his contract ends, then it'd be nuts not to do at least one more. 
Yes, he wants to do and I'm fairly certain Marvel wants to do it.

And then we get to the money...

Still hoping they don't just abandon the original Avengers group. Downey's freakin awesome obviously but Evans has really taken the Cap role and made it great and the next Thor film looks like it could be incredible. Plus, if Whedon pushes hard enough he could just get a Black Widow film made.
Strange isn't really the character to use as a group leader.  In the comics, he's been in groups a couple times, but usually when there's a major magical crisis or in an advisory role.  Otherwise, he's pretty much a lone wolf type.

As for the original Avengers - I wouldn't be surprised if they do decide to move on from them.  In the comics they've made big deals about replacing the original Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Spider-Man with new versions.  It would make sense if they decided to do something similar in the MCU.

My bet for group leader in Phase 4 would be Captain Marvel.

Seeing as Whedon is apparently in talks to do a Batgirl film, I don't think he'll be making any more MCU movies.

Eh, I'll believe it when its in theaters. Whedon tried to make Wonder Woman for a decade and nothing ever came of it. Still, it would be nice to have a decent DCU movie for once. With how terrible their movies have been its only a matter of time before one bombs terribly even with the crazy foreigners shelling out tons of money to see them.

Strange isn't really the character to use as a group leader.  In the comics, he's been in groups a couple times, but usually when there's a major magical crisis or in an advisory role.  Otherwise, he's pretty much a lone wolf type.

As for the original Avengers - I wouldn't be surprised if they do decide to move on from them.  In the comics they've made big deals about replacing the original Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Spider-Man with new versions.  It would make sense if they decided to do something similar in the MCU.

My bet for group leader in Phase 4 would be Captain Marvel.

Seeing as Whedon is apparently in talks to do a Batgirl film, I don't think he'll be making any more MCU movies.
Or Sam (Falcon) as the new Captain America. 

Eh, I'll believe it when its in theaters. Whedon tried to make Wonder Woman for a decade and nothing ever came of it. Still, it would be nice to have a decent DCU movie for once. With how terrible their movies have been its only a matter of time before one bombs terribly even with the crazy foreigners shelling out tons of money to see them.
Well, he tried to make WW for a long time, but that was before he did well with the Avengers movies. Now he's in demand and unhappy with Marvel after Avengers 2. I think the DCEU would give him whatever he wanted in hopes that he would do for them what he did for Marvel.

Well, he tried to make WW for a long time, but that was before he did well with the Avengers movies. Now he's in demand and unhappy with Marvel after Avengers 2. I think the DCEU would give him whatever he wanted in hopes that he would do for them what he did for Marvel.
He was definitely a big reason for the MCU success but I think Kevin Feige is the biggest reason. DC doesn't have a Kevin Feige, so I am not sure Joss will be able to accomplish that at DC.

I love Whedon but let's be real here, MCU was already huge before Whedon got to his part of it.  You had a bunch of really popular characters with popular individual movies coming together to do a movie together.  It was almost impossible to screw up.

I don't think most would even consider the actual Avengers movies among the best of the MCU.

He was definitely a big reason for the MCU success but I think Kevin Feige is the biggest reason. DC doesn't have a Kevin Feige, so I am not sure Joss will be able to accomplish that at DC.
Unless he can be the DCEU's Feige.

I love Whedon but let's be real here, MCU was already huge before Whedon got to his part of it.  You had a bunch of really popular characters with popular individual movies coming together to do a movie together.  It was almost impossible to screw up.

I don't think most would even consider the actual Avengers movies among the best of the MCU.
Well, the 2 Avengers movies are still the highest grossing of the MCU movies, so studio heads would probably say they were best. And it was more than just because all the Avengers were in the films. Civil War is ranked #4, below Iron Man 3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm

Besides, Whedon just added to his fan base with those films. He already had everyone who loved Buffy/Angel and Firefly and Dollhouse. People love what he does with strong female characters. That's why they wanted him to make WW and Black Widow movies and why they'll be ecstatic about a Batgirl movie.

Or Sam (Falcon) as the new Captain America. 
Or Black Panther maybe. That would work better than Sam or Dr. Strange imo.

I know he doesn't play that kind of leadership role in the comics but the character has innate leadership skills and they did a great job with the casting. 

Captain Marvel...Black Panther....Doctor Strange....Inhumans....Sam as Captain America? Not exactly Murderers Row.

Dis/Marv can turn #### to gold (Guardians of the Galaxy)........but if they're going into their new "Phase" with these guys as their heavy hitters.....they're REALLY going to pull an assload of Magic out of the Kingdom to make that series successful.

They should buy the Fantastic Four for .25 on the dollar.  There's still GREAT F4 stories to be told. 

Captain Marvel...Black Panther....Doctor Strange....Inhumans....Sam as Captain America? Not exactly Murderers Row.

Dis/Marv can turn #### to gold (Guardians of the Galaxy)........but if they're going into their new "Phase" with these guys as their heavy hitters.....they're REALLY going to pull an assload of Magic out of the Kingdom to make that series successful.

They should buy the Fantastic Four for .25 on the dollar.  There's still GREAT F4 stories to be told. 
You have to remember that Iron Man wasn't a A-level character before the first MCU movie came out, and RDJ wasn't an A-lister, either. He was a big name from his Brat Pack days in the 80s, but he was not doing anything big anymore. Marvel made him huge again. A lot of the Marvel stars are people who had name recognition but weren't box office gold until they were in Marvel movies. And all of the Marvel A-list heroes were sold by the company in the 90s, which is why they had to go with the Avengers in the first place. Now the Avengers are the top tier.

I wouldn't count out any of the new players before their movies come out. The whole MCU is built on turning leftovers into mainstays.

I know he doesn't play that kind of leadership role in the comics but the character has innate leadership skills and they did a great job with the casting. 
I wouldn't say that. BP was a crucial leader in the latest run of the New Avengers (when the multiverse was blowing up). He even got to wear the infinity gauntlet. 

You have to remember that Iron Man wasn't a A-level character before the first MCU movie came out, and RDJ wasn't an A-lister, either. He was a big name from his Brat Pack days in the 80s, but he was not doing anything big anymore. Marvel made him huge again. A lot of the Marvel stars are people who had name recognition but weren't box office gold until they were in Marvel movies. And all of the Marvel A-list heroes were sold by the company in the 90s, which is why they had to go with the Avengers in the first place. Now the Avengers are the top tier.

I wouldn't count out any of the new players before their movies come out. The whole MCU is built on turning leftovers into mainstays.
RDJ wasn't chopped liver. He had a number of critically acclaimed roles after the Brat Pack and he sobered up. Chapin is one off the top of my head. He wasn't an "A-lister" blockbuster star, but everyone knew he had the talent and screen presence. It was just a matter of time.

As someone said above, I could see a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel taking over the lead role. The character is a legit badass and very likable. Definitely the best female character in Marvel, and she's led the Avengers too. It would all depend on who they get to play the role. Did they settle on someone? If they can find someone like Star Wars did with Daisey Ridley, it would totally work. 

As someone said above, I could see a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel taking over the lead role. The character is a legit badass and very likable. Definitely the best female character in Marvel, and she's led the Avengers too. It would all depend on who they get to play the role. Did they settle on someone? If they can find someone like Star Wars did with Daisey Ridley, it would totally work. 
Brie Larson

Agree with this. I love Ed Norton as an actor, but he didn't do a great job as Banner. Ruffalo nails Banner's geeky vulnerability. He is Banner as much as RDJ is Stark. 

They used to be until SONY ruined the franchise. The FF used to be Marvel's best team in the comics. 
Yup.

There was the synopsis of a FF movie plot going around (might have been posted here) that was great; that involved them being a public SuperHero team in the 70s and getting the superstar treatment ala The Beatles.

Really, Sony screwed the pooch.  They should have taken FF, Spidey, Punisher, Daredevil and another hero or two and went with a NYC-centric MarvelVerse where all these guys are interacting with one another.

Brie Larson
I've never seen a thing with her. Does she have gravitas? Is she a great actress or just a pretty face with enough skills to do a decent job?

For example: I think Scarlett is a good actress. She's an A-lister without a doubt and carries her own films. But I couldn't see her leading the MCU, even as another character. 

Kind of disagree on Iron Mans non A-List status. Marvels in the1990s were all about Mutants and Spider-Man.....but the Avengers were still The Avengers. 

When Dr. Strange was meeting with Thor in the credits scene for Dr. Strange, he specifically mentioned that he wanted to know why both Thor and Loki were on Earth, IIRC.
Strange will be in Thor 3. And since we see Mjolnir broken by Hel, it's a very good bet that Strange plays a part in reforging it. He did this around 10 years ago in the Thor comics.....around the time of Ragnarök, if I'm not mistaken. Actually, it was just after, when Thor came back. He had Strange use a large portion of the Odinforce inside him to reforge Mjolnir. 

EDIT: My 10 year old son made a very good prediction. He said Strange will fix Mjolnir not by reforging it, but by using the time stone to restore it, ala. the apple in Dr. Strange

Like I said, GotG is my favorite of all the Marvel movies.....but that's the only one they pulled out of their asses. 

Kind of disagree on Iron Mans non A-List status. Marvels in the1990s were all about Mutants and Spider-Man.....but the Avengers were still The Avengers. 
Stark's battles with alcoholism was pretty big stuff too. It made national headlines (like, NY Time stuff, if I recall right).

Users who are viewing this thread