What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

I'm probably not seeing it either, mostly because it's not a character I'm familiar with and the trailers did nothing to make me want to see it. However, if you want to see it and spend your money on it, who am I to stop you?  :shrug:
I felt the same way about Guardians of the Galaxy. Never heard of it. Didn't have high expectations. But then they pulled out a one line tree and a talking raccoon with an appetite for prosthetics. Does Captain Marvel have a bad-a furry woodland creature or any talking foliage? Never mind, I'm still seeing it. Sure it screams Green Lantern part deux, but like someone said earlier, Marvel has earned a pass with what they have done so far as well as the fact that this character plays a big role in End Game. 

I felt the same way about Guardians of the Galaxy. Never heard of it. Didn't have high expectations. But then they pulled out a one line tree and a talking raccoon with an appetite for prosthetics. Does Captain Marvel have a bad-a furry woodland creature or any talking foliage? Never mind, I'm still seeing it. Sure it screams Green Lantern part deux, but like someone said earlier, Marvel has earned a pass with what they have done so far as well as the fact that this character plays a big role in End Game. 
That's a good point.  If it seems like a good movie, perhaps I'll change my mind and see it or wait until it comes out on video.

I'm not excited about Captain Marvel and it has nothing to do with the politics.  I never found any of the Captain Marvel's that compelling in the books, and I haven't seen anything in the previews that excited me.  This has a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern feel if I'm being honest.
The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel was pretty darn amazing. I also never found him that interesting but after reading that my respect for Marvel Comics and Captain Marvel grew.

Don't know much about the female Marvel outside the Carol Danvers/Rogue/Binary story arcs from the X-Men back in the 80s. No idea how she got her powers back and ended up with the Avengers. Obviously this has nothing to do with the MCU.

Either way I am looking forward to seeing it.

Seems bizarre to boycott a film over such benign comments. A little sad too. But America is still a free country, for now.
I think its also one of those things we're going to hear an inordinate amount of teeth-gnashing about given how many people are actually "boycotting".  Internet Age in America:  Getting Folks riled up since '96.

Seems bizarre to boycott a film over such benign comments. A little sad too. But America is still a free country, for now.
I do t think people are boycotting the film. I think people are just not that interested but the entertainment media is trying to drive up interest with this nonsense that people are out to get the movie.

There are multiple articles suddenly coming out about "review bombing" the movie on RT by internet trolls but you can't even leave a review until the movie is out. They are saying the people that are "not interested" are blatantly bombarding the movie with bad press but there's only 100 or so responses. Of those only about 40 are not interested and about a dozen of them have made comments saying anything about Brie Larson. Most of which say she's not a good choice for the lead role.

Is this really internet trolls bombing the crap out of this movie? A dozen people that write quasi angry posts about a movie they don't want to see? This sounds more like Disney damage control already. Just like Last Jedi.

Brie Larson is free to her opinion. I am free to agree, not agree, or ignore her opinion. Whether the movie bombs or does great, it doesn't give her opinion any more or less creedence. I will see Captain Marvel, and my guess, based on Marvel's history, is I will thoroughly enjoy it. And if I don't, it will have nothing to do with Brie Larson's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultimately word of mouth will decide the fate of this thing.  Like all Marvel movies it'll open with a bang ($120M range) and if it's a good movie it'll do well long term.  If word starts getting around that it's a bad movie, it'll crash.  She's got to be driving the marketing people nuts though.  Every time she opens her mouth the projected opening weekend take goes down 20 million.
So you are saying that if it is a good movie, it will do well, and if it is a bad movie, it will crash? So aren't you saying that her public opinions will have no impact (other than the opening weekend) on how the movie ultimately does?

Ultimately word of mouth will decide the fate of this thing.  Like all Marvel movies it'll open with a bang ($120M range) and if it's a good movie it'll do well long term.  If word starts getting around that it's a bad movie, it'll crash.  She's got to be driving the marketing people nuts though.  Every time she opens her mouth the projected opening weekend take goes down 20 million.
$20 mil?

That seems like exactly what @Insein was talking about.  It's Fox Opinion hysteria. I doubt everything she said, says, will say will move the needle more than $10k max.  500-600 people who may have seen the film before may not*, everyone else screaming about it wouldn't have gone to see it in the first place.

*And I bet every last shekel in my wallet that at least half of them will see it on streaming services eventually.

Couldn't care less about what an actor, director, or producer says about politics or social issues as it relates to whether I'll see a movie or not.   Had to go look up what the outrage was about.   Seems like some people have gone pretty far out of their way to be offended by fairly innocuous comments.   

Real reviews look good.

Yeah those early reviews have rekindled my interest in this one. With the previews thus far, I was only somewhat interested. Gotta find a date where me and my 3 kids can see it.

I will see it because it is needed to see and stay in the loop of the avengers story line. But I do not like what I am seeing of the cgi in the previews and was not a capt marvel fan when I was a kid, so if this was a stand alone flick, I would wait for HBO to see it.

The media is dying for this movie to do well because it is female led and that is a weird divisive thing to see playing out before the release. Was the same with WW and similar with BP as well and it really annoys me. A good flick is good. Male lead, female lead, whatever race or nationality leading the movie does not change a good movie to bad or vice versa. 

The Big Guy said:
The media is dying for this movie to do well because it is female led and that is a weird divisive thing to see playing out before the release.
Got any sources for this? I’m not seeing it. Google and Bing for Captain Marvel and it’s all about how Thanos is screwed, a cute cat and how good the early reviews are.

There is zero about anyone bringing up the female lead natartive outside of one line story about RT fake review bombs. 

Got any sources for this? I’m not seeing it. Google and Bing for Captain Marvel and it’s all about how Thanos is screwed, a cute cat and how good the early reviews are.

There is zero about anyone bringing up the female lead natartive outside of one line story about RT fake review bombs. 
Not that I think the political message is their aim so much as it is getting more people to pay to see the movie, but they haven't really hid that female empowerment is one of their themes with this movie.

http://themarvelreport.com/2018/12/captain-marvel-female-empowerment/

It’s truly wonderful to see Captain Marvel live its message, putting females in a position to succeed. This is only bolstered by the fact that Kevin Feige is determined to see more female involvement and has gone as far as to officially call her the strongest hero we have ever seen in the MCU. Captain Marvel seems poised to deliver on the promises that have been made to fans across the world will see more diversity in our heroes going forward. Brie Larson andCaptain Marvel represent the future, and the future begins on March 8th.     

Marvel Sue

Interesting thumbnail history on the real Captain Marvel, or as he is being renamed, Shazam...

In 1939 Fawcett Comics decided it was time to ripoff the OG superhero himself, Superman.  They came up with Captain Thunder (in case you were ever curious about the lightening bolt).  There was a last minute change to Captain Marvelous (too gay even for 1939), which lead to a last second change to Captain Marvel.  Although in all honestly that was to reduce the size of the text bubbles.

It has to be said he was a roaring success.  At one point Captain Marvel was selling 1.3 million copies per issue.  No one in the industry even dreams of numbers that big today.

The reason it was a success wasn’t the hero’s powers, which were a complete ripoff of Superman’s but because of the backstory of Billy Batson, the news paper boy crippled by polio (back then everybody knew somebody with that problem),  who with a single, magical word becomes an omni-competent demigod.

The stories were better and a young Jack Kirby was doing the artwork, so that was better too.  What wasn’t better was Fawcett’s legal team.  National (DC) Comics claimed copyright infringement on Superman.  Fawcett didn’t exactly lose but past a certain point, the process itself became punishment enough for a struggling company.  And Fawcett finally canceled the title.

And that is where things got interesting.  Like I said, Fawcett didn’t have the best representation out there.  Consequently, Fawcett let the Captain Marvel trademark (although not the actual copyright) fall into public domain.  If memory reliably serves,* there were four of Captain Marvel’s running around at one point.

So really diving into this universe more.  I knew all the movies would be connected - but I was assuming they would just have their own movies so that when they show up in an Avengers movie they weren't brand new out of nowhere.  No idea just how connected all the characters would be with all of these "infinity stones", and how that started all the way back with the first Captain America movie.  Watched a short video on all of the stone connections, and how they spell out the name of a villain - mind blown.  So of course going back now and watching or rewatching them all in the order in which you're apparently suppose to (just movies, I doubt I'll find the time for the shows).  Realized I completely missed IronMan 3, never saw Hulk, and missed either Thor 2 or 3.  Between Amazon prime, Netflix, the ones I own on disc, and other sources - really hoping for a nice long snowed in weekend.
So over the last 10 days or so (with the aid of a long weekend and then a snowstorm) I've gotten through Cap America, Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers 1, Iron Man 3 (really disappointed in that), both Guardian movies and now about halfway through The Dark World.  Doing my best to watch them in "timeline order". 

So over the last 10 days or so (with the aid of a long weekend and then a snowstorm) I've gotten through Cap America, Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers 1, Iron Man 3 (really disappointed in that), both Guardian movies and now about halfway through The Dark World.  Doing my best to watch them in "timeline order". 
Some theaters had a 24 hour marathon of the movies in order before the premiere of Infinity War that I was tempted to try, but I'm glad I didn't.  In the YouTube vids the guys looked like zombies coming out of that thing.

Damn. That's impressive. Civil War and Ragnorok are my favorites. You got those coming up.

I am a big fan of release order over timeline order for first viewing.  How are you enjoying timeline order?

I am a big fan of release order over timeline order for first viewing.  How are you enjoying timeline order?
I caught some as they were released over the past nearly decade now.  But I also completely missed some movies.  I remember catching either Avengers 2 or 3 and was like "who's that guy", "why's that guy pissed at that guy now", "so that dude is a good guy now?"  Going back and getting the backstories, in order, is helping fill in those gaps.  I'm not being extremely strict on timeline order - rewatched both Guardian flicks before Avengers 1 - but those timelines haven't yet overlapped. 

So far so good on the rewatching - but for the most part release order follows timeline, right?  The only one that's way off on it would be the first Captain America. 

I caught some as they were released over the past nearly decade now.  But I also completely missed some movies.  I remember catching either Avengers 2 or 3 and was like "who's that guy", "why's that guy pissed at that guy now", "so that dude is a good guy now?"  Going back and getting the backstories, in order, is helping fill in those gaps.  I'm not being extremely strict on timeline order - rewatched both Guardian flicks before Avengers 1 - but those timelines haven't yet overlapped. 

So far so good on the rewatching - but for the most part release order follows timeline, right?  The only one that's way off on it would be the first Captain America. 
yeah, Cap 1 and the upcoming Captain Marvel are the two most out of order.  Spiderman is a head scratcher because of the 8 year gap during the movie itself, of which the 8 years never made a ton of sense.

yeah, Cap 1 and the upcoming Captain Marvel are the two most out of order.  Spiderman is a head scratcher because of the 8 year gap during the movie itself, of which the 8 years never made a ton of sense.
Only part of the movie, right?  They give the backstory, and then it picks up at the end of Avengers 3, correct?

Only part of the movie, right?  They give the backstory, and then it picks up at the end of Avengers 3, correct?
Captain Marvel?  I had assumed almost the whole movie was in the 90's and then the end credits scene might tie it in to what happened in the end credit of Infinity War,

it is suppose to pick up after Cap America 3 (Civil War) but the 8 year comment throws things for a loop.  At this point the timeline keepers are kind of ignoring the 8 year comment, at least until Marvel releases the official time line, which they have been teasing but nothing yet.
I mean Captain Marvel - that's suppose to give backstory and then pick up at the end of Avenger's 3 ASAIK.  Is your 8 year comments all about Spiderman?

I mean Captain Marvel - that's suppose to give backstory and then pick up at the end of Avenger's 3 ASAIK.  Is your 8 year comments all about Spiderman?
sorry, my bad.  I fixed my response to you, please re read.   The 8 year comment was specifically about Spiderman.

sorry, my bad.  I fixed my response to you, please re read.   The 8 year comment was specifically about Spiderman.
Ok, haven't gotten to spiderman yet.  Anyway, on Captain Marvel I think it starts in the mid 1990s for some background, continues with events that happen during the other movies - but completely separate from them, and then takes us to the end of Infinity War.  Not sure it if it will move any of the overall storyline forward or just get her story up to speed to where we are now. 

Ok, haven't gotten to spiderman yet.  Anyway, on Captain Marvel I think it starts in the mid 1990s for some background, continues with events that happen during the other movies - but completely separate from them, and then takes us to the end of Infinity War.  Not sure it if it will move any of the overall storyline forward or just get her story up to speed to where we are now. 
your understanding of Captain Marvel is different than what I have read but I am also trying to avoid spoilers.  Can't wait to see it! :)

Ok so after Captain Marvel and Endgame this spring, what then? Are we in for a Marvel drought? Or if not an outright drought, I believe some of our favorites are being retired or recast, correct? 

Pardon my ignorance here. I watch and follow all of the MCU movies, but have not been tracking the future plans with movies and actors.

Ok so after Captain Marvel and Endgame this spring, what then? Are we in for a Marvel drought? Or if not an outright drought, I believe some of our favorites are being retired or recast, correct? 

Pardon my ignorance here. I watch and follow all of the MCU movies, but have not been tracking the future plans with movies and actors.
The only movie with an official release date after End Game is the next Spiderman movie which will be released in July.

I think we would have had a Guardians 3 release date by now if they did not have the scandal which caused them to remove Gunn from the movie.

There is already a trailer out for Spiderman 2, so I assume that's next. After that, I don't know.

Disney doesn't turn off the cash machine, ever.

Most likely they will start forshadowing the next "Big Boss" in Captain Marvel and give more info in Endgame.  Lots of theories swirling about in the Nerdverse many suggesting the next "Big Boss" will be instrumental in stopping Thanos.  But that's all #### thrown against the wall right now, we have no idea what will stick. 

Will be interesting to see where they go next.  Has the Fox stuff been finalized?  That will open a ton more possibilities.  Im sure its been discussed earlier in the thread, just had heard anything recent. Would love to see the Fantastic Four's side of things rolled in.  Need a real Silver Surfer movie and Galactus may be a worth successor to Thanos.  Dr Doom would be fun to include.

Also wish they would add the Netflix group into the movies.  They are in the MCU but would love to see movie appearances.  

If the timeline picture I saw is accurate - we still have (after Captain Marvel and Avengers 4) a Spiderman sequel, Guardians 3, and a Black panther sequel.....but they also list another 6 "untitled marvel films". 

If the timeline picture I saw is accurate - we still have (after Captain Marvel and Avengers 4) a Spiderman sequel, Guardians 3, and a Black panther sequel.....but they also list another 6 "untitled marvel films". 
Guardians 3 is up in the air.

I believe there is also a planned Dr Strange sequel too.  

Rumors of a Black Widow movie being developed, prob a third Ant Man movie.  And I would imagine a Captain Marvel 2 is in there as well.

all of those are expected/hoped to be made but I only Spiderman is far enough along in production to get a release date.  I am not sure if any of the other movies have even started principle photography yet.

Rumors of a Black Widow movie being developed
I’m really looking forward to this, and surprised it hasn’t happened already.  Take the last Mission Impossible movie, sub Scarlett in for Cruise and Nick Fury Jackson in for Baldwin, shake well and you’ve got a mega blockbuster on your hands

I would love a feature length Punisher movie with Bernthal and that style of punisher. Make it R rated and just go for it. I know it will never happen but fun to imagine.
I am here for this.

How about this: Spiderman 3: Friendly Neighborhood?

Spiderman fights DareDevil and the Punisher after J Jonah Jameson makes Spidey look like the bad guy... then the 3 come together to battle Kingpin

I'm not excited about Captain Marvel and it has nothing to do with the politics.  I never found any of the Captain Marvel's that compelling in the books, and I haven't seen anything in the previews that excited me.  This has a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern feel if I'm being honest.
In the new timeline that movie never happened.

You’re welcome, Canada! 

It's funny I felt the same way. Even said that to my friend, feels like Green Lantern 2. Big fancy CGI suit. Comic that is way more vast than can really be put on screen.  Marvel has a good track record of taking the obscure and making it gold but the previews leave a lot to be desired.  I remember when this was first announced and the teaser trailer, I was really excited. Now I'm not so sure.
Kind of like Planet Hulk / Ragnarok? 

Users who are viewing this thread