What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

More reactions, spoiler free:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/23/avengers-endgame-first-reactions/

If those reactions are true, we are in for an epic movie.
So looking at some of the comments, there is speculation that all movies get first reactions like this from fanboys. Since I have never been that interested in first reactions to a movie, I don't know if this is true or not. Anybody have any insight as too how geeked I should be about these rave reviews?

So looking at some of the comments, there is speculation that all movies get first reactions like this from fanboys. Since I have never been that interested in first reactions to a movie, I don't know if this is true or not. Anybody have any insight as too how geeked I should be about these rave reviews?
Some of those people are actual critics. 

Didn't realize theaters did this, even for huge releases: our biggest local theater complex is devoting 19 of 20 screens to Endgame this weekend. Come Monday, April 29th ... all 20 screens will be showing Endgame. Probably just until Friday, May 3rd, but still.

Do other huge blockbusters take over theaters in this way? If so, I'd never noticed.

Is Avatar's ten-year-old gross sales record finally in serious jeopardy?

Just checked some of our other local cineplexes. Some are showing ONLY Endgame this weekend. Many are all Endgame except for throwing a bone to the toddler set with a single Saturday morning showing of Missing Link.

I bet the producers of Shazam! wish they could've somehow released their film with a little more temporal distance from Captain Marvel and Endgame. Shazam! is up over $320 million, but getting yanked out of theaters in it's fourth weekend is going to hurt.

What’s amazing is I guarantee you don’t know even one person who likes Avatar. 
I liked it for the technical aspects.
I enjoyed Avatar, too, but did not see it in the theater. Seen it maybe four or five times on cable.

It's storyline got about 90% of the way home -- just needed to be a tad less preachy and a little tighter. But the world-building was incredible. Still, for all the tickets sold ... it's never really maintained a cultural niche.

I enjoyed Avatar, too, but did not see it in the theater. Seen it maybe four or five times on cable.

It's storyline got about 90% of the way home -- just needed to be a tad less preachy and a little tighter. But the world-building was incredible. Still, for all the tickets sold ... it's never really maintained a cultural niche.
It was the first real 3D movie in the movies so it was a cultural phenomenon for that alone. The story itself was pretty cookie cutter and the acting was average.

Not seeing any spoilers in here :shrug:

This is a case where not being able to hot-link videos into posts works our advantage.
I've poked around on line.  As of yet, there are no real spoilers circulating.  Only speculative stuff from weeks ago, and I even saw where a couple of those were debunked.  They have done a really good job of keeping things hush-hush.  But after tomorrow, I will probably stay away until I can see the movie.  My schedule is full through to Sunday afternoon and I will probably be too wiped to go then.  Looking at early next week as the best shot to actually go to the movie.

Just called the theater, which unfortunately does not offer assigned seating, to see if they had any idea what type of lines to expect.  He said I should be prepared to show up at least an hour early to be safe.

I haven't seen this type of hype for a film since the original Star Wars films came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've poked around on line.  As of yet, there are no real spoilers circulating.  Only speculative stuff from weeks ago, and I even saw where a couple of those were debunked.  They have done a really good job of keeping things hush-hush.  But after tomorrow, I will probably stay away until I can see the movie.  My schedule is full through to Sunday afternoon and I will probably be too wiped to go then.  Looking at early next week as the best shot to actually go to the movie.
Don't go to reddit.  Geesh...made that mistake and people that saw it last night are posting up their reviews and outlines of the movie/plot.  I ran out of there quickly!

Chaka said:
Just called the theater, which unfortunately does not offer assigned seating, to see if they had any idea what type of lines to expect.  He said I should be prepared to show up at least an hour early to be safe.

I haven't seen this type of hype for a film since the original Star Wars films came out.
I can’t go to a theater without assigned seating anymore. The jockeying for seats feels third world and was always my least favorite part of the experience. I roll in now 5 minutes before showtime and have a craft ipa delivered before the second trailer. I can’t go back. 

I would love assigned seats and and a drink. 

At least I have IMAX.... going saturday. Should be a good weekend of watching other people on a screen entertain me more than it really should.

At least I have IMAX.... going saturday. Should be a good weekend of watching other people on a screen entertain me more than it really should.
I'm still slightly miffed that I had to give up my 1 o'clock showing because I need to pick up my 10yo at 430. Middle, back row, 3d, best theater in town. 

Now I'm going 11 o'clock (Saturday morning) back row but far to one side. #mcuproblems

When you write this ... do you mean that you simply missed out on assigned-seat tickets? Or that no theaters around you have assigned seating?

Around here, between fall 2016 and fall 2016 ... all the local AMC theaters (which dominate the area) converted to assigned seating. Except their IMAX screens — those are still first-come seating. Makes IMAX much less of a draw than it once was.

When you write this ... do you mean that you simply missed out on assigned-seat tickets? Or that no theaters around you have assigned seating?

Around here, between fall 2016 and fall 2016 ... all the local AMC theaters (which dominate the area) converted to assigned seating. Except their IMAX screens — those are still first-come seating. Makes IMAX much less of a draw than it once was.
None close enough to me that makes it possible.

97% positive on rotten tomatoes with 118 reviews. I think we have a good one. This is the kind of movie that I think a lot of critics would love to pan to show how smart they are and how above popular culture they are, and if only 4 critics out of 118 can give it a negative review, it must be a pretty good movie.

Spoiler everything.  Be cool.  No need to ruin for anyone.
With as hard as it seems to be to get tickets, I'd imagine a large percentage of fans won't be seeing this for probably the next 3 weeks.  I'm cool with whatever is decided, but since I'll fall into the "not going for a couple of weeks", I'm just trying to figure out what everyone is going to be posting in this thread.  Wasn't sure if it would turn into a convo about the actual movie and plot, or if this would be a spoiler-free thread for a while.

With as hard as it seems to be to get tickets, I'd imagine a large percentage of fans won't be seeing this for probably the next 3 weeks.  I'm cool with whatever is decided, but since I'll fall into the "not going for a couple of weeks", I'm just trying to figure out what everyone is going to be posting in this thread.  Wasn't sure if it would turn into a convo about the actual movie and plot, or if this would be a spoiler-free thread for a while.
Based on history it will be a lot of spoiler tagged convos with a few forgetting. I will stay out till after I see it. Going tomorrow night and again on Sat.

In as much as I have no power over the rules here, I would offer to the group at large that we use the gentlemen code of honor here and use spoiler tags for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Or, if we can't help ourselves, then Endgame needs it's own thread with the title showing clearly that there are spoilers and open at your own risk.  This isn't a typical movie topic at this point.  We are a decade into a continuing story and unlike GRRM, the writers actually finished this.  We can be super cool with each other.

If I was in charge.

Users who are viewing this thread