What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

With Comic-Con starting 7/18, I am sure we will get updated

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-comic-con-2019-line-up-1202156100/

The official schedule for SDCC 2019 now lists a Marvel Studios event scheduled for Saturday, July 20th from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. PT in Hall H. The listing’s brief description reads: “Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige and surprise panelists provide an inside look at the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

The promise of “surprise panelists” begs the question of whether an “Endgame” reunion might be in order. Hall H is the biggest venue at the convention center, and according to ScreenRant, Marvel only uses that room when they have something truly noteworthy to announce. Marvel plans their marketing schedule around SDCC, sometimes skipping the event altogether if it isn’t ready to announce, as it did last year.

Back in 2014, Feige announced his entire Phase 3 plan for the MCU at Comic-Con, prompting many to speculate whether he might share plans for Phase 4 at Comic-Con. While there are numerous Phase Four movies in development, no Marvel movie has been officially announced or dated for Phase Four yet. Franchises such as “Black Panther,” “Captain Marvel,” and “Doctor Strange” are all expected to land sequels, while new franchises to the MCU will include Chloe Zhao’s “The Eternals” and Daniel Destin Cretton’s “Shang-Chi.” Scarlett Johansson’s fan favorite “Black Widow” will also be getting her first standalone movie.

Many of these projects are in development, but Feige and Marvel made it a priority not to announce any Phase Four details prior to “Endgame.” The first Phase Four movie is already set for May 1, 2020.

This incarnation of SM movies has done a great job elevating B level villains to an A level (i never thought Vulture could work).

But a poor job on the overall movies.  Kudos for trying to do something different than the traditional SM story development - but they are not doing it well.  Iron Man is casting a shadow on these movies that diminishes SM.

Rumor of Kraven for SM3 - which plays well into the mid credit scene.

This incarnation of SM movies has done a great job elevating B level villains to an A level (i never thought Vulture could work).

But a poor job on the overall movies.  Kudos for trying to do something different than the traditional SM story development - but they are not doing it well.  Iron Man is casting a shadow on these movies that diminishes SM.

Rumor of Kraven for SM3 - which plays well into the mid credit scene.
Where is this coming from? These two are light years ahead of Toby, no range, McGwire and totally enjoyable. They aren't as good as Spiderverse, but they are great flicks. 

Where is this coming from? These two are light years ahead of Toby, no range, McGwire and totally enjoyable. They aren't as good as Spiderverse, but they are great flicks. 
I agree. However the Raimi Spiderman films will always hold a strong place in people's hearts because they came first and put Spiderman on the big screen before the MCU and comic book movies in general became huge. 

I like what they've done to tell a different story in these movies that tie into the MCU as a whole. They are not showing Spiderman as the ultimate super hero right off the bat. They've grown his character over 5 movies now. They're building him up to be able to handle the avenger level threats eventually but they are rightfully starting him off small on his solo adventures. 

I'm not sure what's not to like about it except for those that are mad Mary Jane is not a cute girl next door redhead. I like the change to the smart ### macabre girl. 

I see scenes on YouTube of the old Spider movies and they are full of cringe. So bad. Haven't aged well at all. Will I say that about this current Spiderman in ten years? Possibly but the early 2000 ones are so bad compared to today.

I agree. However the Raimi Spiderman films will always hold a strong place in people's hearts because they came first and put Spiderman on the big screen before the MCU and comic book movies in general became huge. 

I like what they've done to tell a different story in these movies that tie into the MCU as a whole. They are not showing Spiderman as the ultimate super hero right off the bat. They've grown his character over 5 movies now. They're building him up to be able to handle the avenger level threats eventually but they are rightfully starting him off small on his solo adventures. 

I'm not sure what's not to like about it except for those that are mad Mary Jane is not a cute girl next door redhead. I like the change to the smart ### macabre girl. 
Yes. And if they did the same thing as the old movies people would complain about that. These two haven’t been my favorite marvel movies but I’ve enjoyed them both. 

Yeah, at first it was unsettling to me, because she was always a red head, but as the movie moved on, it worked. Without the wit and sarcasm, I don't think it would've worked but I liked it. 

I see scenes on YouTube of the old Spider movies and they are full of cringe. So bad. Haven't aged well at all. Will I say that about this current Spiderman in ten years? Possibly but the early 2000 ones are so bad compared to today.
I watched the first and third Toby SM flicks with my kids. I'm floored at how poorly that guy acts. He has the same look on his face for 90% of the two movies. He has no range whatsoever. Really terrible. Topher acted circles around him. He would've been a better spiderman. 

Besides after Spiderverse, we can't complain about any iteration of Spiderman because they're all possible somewhere in the multiverse.

Different strokes and all.  I loved Homecoming because it broke us away for a little bit of most of the other Marvel movies were the whole galaxy or universe is in peril and we are running around trying to find glowing orbs.   It told a small story, had a great villain, had some humor, and did a great job of tying in the story and villain motivations to the Avengers movie we just watched and showed repercussions from that.   Bonus for also not rehashing the origins and Uncle Ben stuff too. 

Could be Spidey fatigue from so many redos in the last couple decades, but I thought they hit a home run with Homecoming.  

IMO:

Homecoming:  A great Spider-Man mythos overshadowed by wedging in Stark/Iron Man.  The high tech SM suit was a useless distraction.  He's a teenager trying to learn how to be a hero - which is a great story on it's own but then throw that dumb suit in and it detracts from the story.

Far From Home:  I said a few of these things earlier.  SM almost a non-factor for over half the movie.  Minimal time in SM suit.  Treated like Mysterio's side kick for first half.  Cringe comedy - whenever either teacher was on film (and more scenes than just those).
I go way back on Spider-Man comics.  With so many great story to mine sets my expectation high

Thought it was a solid entry, around mid-level for the MCU. I'm not sure it's one I'll be watching over and over again once it's on TV, but that's not a terrible thing (although I am tempted to go see it again in 3d for some of the late action scenes.) Liked how they worked in the teenage stuff without it being too over the top and kind of naturally fitting into the story, similar to the 1st one. For all the Disney marketing, Zendaya(sp?) was kind of a pointless after-thought in the first one, she actually contributed something this go around but is still basically just a quirky love interest. As someone else said, they are slowly building Spidey up because he's still a 16 year old kid, can't be saving the world like an adult all the time. Curious if they decide to put him in college in the next movie he's in.

Also liked that they briefly addressed all the blipping, even if they only played it for laughs and the world has just moved on. As was discussed earlier, there would be serious and bad consequences for the world with all those people coming back suddenly.

Thought Mysterio worked well, with the only negative being they played him for a good guy for so long, you didn't get a great sense of him as a bad guy in the latter part of the movie. The tie-in's to his "crew" being bit players from earlier movies was great though. As someone else said, the way they made the illusion stuff when Mysterio was fighting Spiderman really looked great. As well as minor things like the big, round goofy Mysterio helmet being related to the round glass hologram interface Beck was wearing. Loved the first during credit scene, and I doubt it would be hard for them to come up with a way to discredit the Daily Bugle story. Didn't like the Skrull after credit scene for some reason I can't put my finger on, maybe just don't like being faked out for a whole movie like that? Fury in space? Are they hinting at Captain Marvel 2?

Curious if they are building Zendaya to really be a modern Mary Jane, or if they go the Gwen Stacey route with her in movie 3 or 4? They did the Gwen Stacey thing in the second awful Andrew Garfield movie, but it bombed and most casual audiences will probably have forgotten in a few more years. 

Did anybody else realize one of Mysetrio's henchmen was Ralphie from Christmas Story? I noticed it right away!
Ralphie from a Christmas Story produced the first Iron Man. He and Favreau and Vince Vaugn are, or were, very tight. The kid has done alright for himself. 

I agree that the SM movie wants to build him up and evolve - but he has fought in Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame - I think he would be fairly established with that resume.

The bothersome thing about the skrull reveal was the fact that they were covering their bases on the story line.

They had to cover for Fury being duped by Mysterio and they had to cover for recruiting SM to face what they believed to be an Avengers A class villain.

So they throw in the Skrulls as a cover

Weak writing

[/spoilers]

The bothersome thing about the skrull reveal was the fact that they were covering their bases on the story line.

They had to cover for Fury being duped by Mysterio and they had to cover for recruiting SM to face what they believed to be an Avengers A class villain.

Weak writing

[/spoilers]
It's only weak writing now. If those twists advance the plot for future movies, then it's brilliant. 

Some speculation on the internet about the after credits scene...

...that they are leading into Nick Fury building SWORD which would make sense given that SHIELD is totally defunct as far as the movies are concerned. It also fits with the other speculation that Phase 4 will be more cosmically/space oriented. Carol Danvers would fit into the speculation too as she is a member of SWORD for a time so a possible plot for CM2. Also, SWORD was supposedly considered part of Fox domain with the mutants, but with the Disney merger, the rights are now their's again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weak writing

[/spoilers]
I’m sorry what? You realize they wrote the movie right? If they needed cover they just wouldn’t have wrote it that way. :loco:  

I’m sorry what? You realize they wrote the movie right? If they needed cover they just wouldn’t have wrote it that way. :loco:  

Yea it was pretty clear that they knew they were Skrulls throughout. 

Skrull Fury (idk his name, didn't watch Capt Marvel) made comments about not invoking Marvel's name. They also cut into a conversation he was having about Skrulls when Hill had news for him. He also had mannerisms that were un- Fury like. 

They knew the whole time. Didn't think that was up for debate.

Id agree with Tom being better than Tobey, but the rest of the movie falls way short. Holy stupid-as-**** holograms dominating the entire movie batman. So weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id agree with Tom being better than Tobey, but the rest of the movie falls way short. Holy stupid-as-**** holograms dominating the entire movie batman. So weak.

Mysterio’s whole gimmick is that he doesn’t have super powers, he just uses special effects to make it appear that way. The use of holograms is exactly on brand for him. It was perfect.

First movie was the Vulture, and a cameo with Scorpion. Second is Mysterio. Seems like they may be building up to the Sinister Six.

Mysterio’s whole gimmick is that he doesn’t have super powers, he just uses special effects to make it appear that way. The use of holograms is exactly on brand for him. It was perfect.

First movie was the Vulture, and a cameo with Scorpion. Second is Mysterio. Seems like they may be building up to the Sinister Six.
I agree with the cannon, its bad for the movie. And not just this movie, damn near any movie. A poor/weak plot construct.  Could pick apart all the wet/not-wet parts for hours. It falls right into the Iron Man 3 viewing experience. 

The duping of Fury was critical to the story but doesn't make sense within the character history.  So they wrote an out.

The duping of Fury was critical to the story but doesn't make sense within the character history.  So they wrote an out.
Pretty sure this was not a fly by night decision. Fury has probably been out for awhile in their storyboards. This is the first we've seen it.

BigSteelThrill said:
I agree with the cannon, its bad for the movie. And not just this movie, damn near any movie. A poor/weak plot construct.  Could pick apart all the wet/not-wet parts for hours. It falls right into the Iron Man 3 viewing experience. 
This is so incredibly wrong. 

Is going to see a great movie saying it sucks and calling it weak writing the old guy version of a hipster going to micro brewery and forgoing the small batch stuff they make in house in favor of a Pabst because he knows better? 

Insein said:
Pretty sure this was not a fly by night decision. Fury has probably been out for awhile in their storyboards. This is the first we've seen it.
It has been thought on the Intertubes that Fury has not been Fury since Avengers 2: Ultron. In Captain Marvel, Fury mentions how he cannot eat bread cut diagonally and in Ultron, Fury makes a sandwich and cuts it diagonally. So...

It has been thought on the Intertubes that Fury has not been Fury since Avengers 2: Ultron. In Captain Marvel, Fury mentions how he cannot eat bread cut diagonally and in Ultron, Fury makes a sandwich and cuts it diagonally. So...
If it were a skrull in Winter Soldier, it would help explain how he survived the assassination attempt. 

They point to this as well: Fury says: "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Now, here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world.

I think people are missing the writing criticism.

The story was dependent on Fury hooking up with Mysterio and then recruiting SM - but it had to be Fury with his link to SHIELD

But it was so out of character for Fury to be duped and then to recruit SM for an Avengers level villain (the elementals)

So how do you reconcile both situations - you replace Fury with a Skrull.

And that doesn't even address the painful attempts at comedy

I think people are missing the writing criticism.

Hide contents
The story was dependent on Fury hooking up with Mysterio and then recruiting SM - but it had to be Fury with his link to SHIELD

But it was so out of character for Fury to be duped and then to recruit SM for an Avengers level villain (the elementals)

So how do you reconcile both situations - you replace Fury with a Skrull.

And that doesn't even address the painful attempts at comedy
That was the point. It's not because of lazy writing, in fact it's pretty brilliant writing and filming/direction (see my redit link for the latter). They out thought you. You haven't out thought them and spotted the bad writing. 

And not just knocking the movie.  If they would have done the same thing but used the Chameleon and then exposed him in the context of the movie - or used him post credits to set up another story - I likely would have applauded.

More logical of a villain conspiracy rather than a mulligan.

That was the point. It's not because of lazy writing, in fact it's pretty brilliant writing and filming/direction (see my redit link for the latter). They out thought you. You haven't out thought them and spotted the bad writing. 
And if you believe some of the theories, seems Marvel has been setting this up since at least Age of Ultron.  Wasn't like they painted themselves in a corner in this movie and went with an easy way out.  

This is so incredibly wrong. 

Is going to see a great movie saying it sucks and calling it weak writing the old guy version of a hipster going to micro brewery and forgoing the small batch stuff they make in house in favor of a Pabst because he knows better? 
Had to go personal, I don't blame you.  Its worse than Iron Man 3.

And if you believe some of the theories, seems Marvel has been setting this up since at least Age of Ultron.  Wasn't like they painted themselves in a corner in this movie and went with an easy way out.  
Exactly. The Easter Eggs these guys have been laying for more than a decade now, show they have a vision for the future and that it is nothing close to lazy writing. 

Had to go personal, I don't blame you.  Its worse than Iron Man 3.
It's not just with this. It's just about everything out there that hits a small or large screen. Someone comes along and says, "Plot hole. Lazy writing." Some even argue they can do better. But it is definitely a new trend I'm seeing. 

TheFanatic said:
It's not just with this. It's just about everything out there that hits a small or large screen. Someone comes along and says, "Plot hole. Lazy writing." Some even argue they can do better. But it is definitely a new trend I'm seeing. 
Not really a new trend. Been around pretty much since movies. More prevalent around the time Phantom Menace came out and the internet started picking up steam.

Users who are viewing this thread