What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

I would start him if I didn't just trade for Ingram. Last week was a ####show for the whole team and Martin shouldn't bear the brunt of it.

There was never any word of him losing his job
Was there any word of him keeping his job?

Looking for any indication of risk that a RBBC is going to emerge this weekend. If there is, can't even think about starting him. Would love to hear some "encouraging words" here.

If there is no risk of RBBC, kinda feeling that he's got a decent shot at production. Sure, the NYJ look pretty tough against the run, but hell, this is the Jets. Perfect spot...on the road...after looking pretty good...to return to being the Jets.

Could see Fitz running around causing issues and keeping this competitive and Martin getting the touches.

As an aside, Bloom is ranking him horribly in PPR. Projecting 5.6 points. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
oddsbodkins said:
The best reason to start him. I don't understand the worry. He, along with the entire offense, had a horrendous game. It happens.
This. It is not all of a sudden a time share. Martin didn’t look great when he was in there tho, so giving him a game to see how he bounces back then will re-evaluate. He is due for one of his monster games tho. God knows when is the problem. 

I'm rolling him out until he's benched. I have no other choice. For better or worse. My season is going down the toilet anyway due to injuries and underperforming studs.

I'm sticking with him for one more week in my flex ( I take the positioning of my players very seriously, he has been moved down from my 2nd RB position into the flex with McKinnon moving up and Kamara in the RB1 position ) ahead of Morris,  CJ and  Booker. 

Gutted by what's happened so far, as drafted him in all three leagues I play in and it seemed to start so well. 

We are less than two (2) weeks removed from a 19 touch game, which followed a 22 touch game

Doug Martin looks great on film

(ASIDE - as does my RB2, Mixon, but this isn't helping me win week-to-week)

I'm vacillating on whether to start him again - leaning towards starting 3 WR and a WR in the Flex

(Cooks, Funchess, Parker, Smith-Schuster with Allen, Fuller, Martin, Woods on the bench)

This. It is not all of a sudden a time share. Martin didn’t look great when he was in there tho, so giving him a game to see how he bounces back then will re-evaluate. He is due for one of his monster games tho. God knows when is the problem. 
Count me in the minority that doesn’t understand why it isn’t a time share. Charles Sims was a great recieving back two years ago. I don’t know why his share has essentially gone to zero. I’ve seen Martin forced into being the third down RB with multiple drops and not being able to move the chains in that scenario.

Count me in the minority that doesn’t understand why it isn’t a time share. Charles Sims was a great recieving back two years ago. I don’t know why his share has essentially gone to zero. I’ve seen Martin forced into being the third down RB with multiple drops and not being able to move the chains in that scenario.
Because Sims = JAG. Sure, he accumulated some receptions a couple years ago, making him relevant in PPR, but that doesn't mean he was good. I've never been Doug's biggest fan (always thought they should have passed on RB and stuck with Blount) but he's much better than Sims. 

• Smile
Reactions: J R
I'm sticking with him for one more week in my flex ( I take the positioning of my players very seriously, he has been moved down from my 2nd RB position into the flex with McKinnon moving up and Kamara in the RB1 position ) ahead of Morris,  CJ and  Booker. 

Gutted by what's happened so far, as drafted him in all three leagues I play in and it seemed to start so well. 
I can understand your rationale for starting Martin over CJ or Booker. That seems like a three way split in Denver. 

I don't get the rationale over Morris. Morris should get 15 touches and like Martin, doesn't really catch the ball. The tie breaker for me: Better offense in Dallas, better run D matchup = better chance at a TD plunge for Morris.

Because Sims = JAG. Sure, he accumulated some receptions a couple years ago, making him relevant in PPR, but that doesn't mean he was good. I've never been Doug's biggest fan (always thought they should have passed on RB and stuck with Blount) but he's much better than Sims. 
Good post. It might be better for fantasy to be a JAG on a team as bad as poorly coached as Tampa where an unimaginative coach like Koetter will carve out a "role" for him as "third down back" earning points for meaningless receptions like some middle reliever accumulating holds in fantasy baseball.

I’m not arguing for Sims to be the primary back. I wouldn’t necessarily disagree about calling him below replacement level. He had a nice niche as a recieving back though which is valuable in real life and can be valuable in fantasy. Doug Martin has hands of stone. They are limiting the diversity of their offense by keeping him in a 3 down role. I think it’s more of an indictment on Koetter’s coaching ability then it is Martin’s talent. 

Let me put it this way, more first downs = more opportunities for Martin. He is not able to move the chains when put in on 3rd down and middle to long.

I’m not arguing for Sims to be the primary back. I wouldn’t necessarily disagree about calling him below replacement level. He had a nice niche as a recieving back though which is valuable in real life and can be valuable in fantasy. Doug Martin has hands of stone. They are limiting the diversity of their offense by keeping him in a 3 down role. I think it’s more of an indictment on Koetter’s coaching ability then it is Martin’s talent. 

Let me put it this way, more first downs = more opportunities for Martin. He is not able to move the chains when put in on 3rd down and middle to long.
Has drops really been a problem for Martin? I don't know the stats on that. I dunno in the game that he returned from suspension, he was wide open on a screen and his horrible quarterback threw it about a hundred miles an hour from 10 yards away and it went through his hands that were extended over his head. I'm not sure if they considered that I dropped, but they sure as heck shouldn't have. That was just Winston being Winston. I wouldn't be surprised if their offense actually starts to click a little now that Fitzpatrick is in there for a few games. I think they're embarrassed to admit their mistake with Winston. I think he's a bust and Koetter will be the second coach fired because of him

Has drops really been a problem for Martin? I don't know the stats on that. I dunno in the game that he returned from suspension, he was wide open on a screen and his horrible quarterback threw it about a hundred miles an hour from 10 yards away and it went through his hands that were extended over his head. I'm not sure if they considered that I dropped, but they sure as heck shouldn't have. That was just Winston being Winston
In Martin's big seasons, he was used in the passing game, and put up impressive numbers. He's being criminally under-used in that phase of the game this season. Basically, their coaching is absolute s**t.

Has drops really been a problem for Martin? I don't know the stats on that. I dunno in the game that he returned from suspension, he was wide open on a screen and his horrible quarterback threw it about a hundred miles an hour from 10 yards away and it went through his hands that were extended over his head. I'm not sure if they considered that I dropped, but they sure as heck shouldn't have. That was just Winston being Winston
They don't pass to him.  In the games I have seen he is strictly being used as a 2-down back.  If they fall behind, look out.

Playing a little bit of devils advocate here but maybe there is some bias for Martin because of how good he has been when he has had big years. It really overshadows that when he has been bad, he has been very bad. He’s only broke 1000 yds from scrimmage twice in his NFL career and those season exceeded 1500 scrimmage yds by a wide margin. The other seasons he didn’t crack 600 yds from scrimmage. That’s hard to believe. I wonder if any other NFL RB has mimicked something like that.

Playing a little bit of devils advocate here but maybe there is some bias for Martin because of how good he has been when he has had big years. It really overshadows that when he has been bad, he has been very bad. He’s only broke 1000 yds from scrimmage twice in his NFL career and those season exceeded 1500 scrimmage yds by a wide margin. The other seasons he didn’t crack 600 yds from scrimmage. That’s hard to believe. I wonder if any other NFL RB has mimicked something like that.
This may be wrong but wasn't he injured in most of the bad seasons?

This may be wrong but wasn't he injured in most of the bad seasons?
No, that’s mostly correct. I still think it’s crazy. His YPC in his big years was 4.9 and 4.6. His down years were 3.6, 3.7, 2.9 and 3.5 (which is this year so far).

No, that’s mostly correct. I still think it’s crazy. His YPC in his big years was 4.9 and 4.6. His down years were 3.6, 3.7, 2.9 and 3.5 (which is this year so far).
Well this year the entire team is a mess so it's kinda explainable.  The other years who knows

Because Martin is better than Sims.

I hate to be a downer, but I think this is going to be an awful week for Douggie, though I hope I'm wrong as an owner.  Nonetheless, the Jets will have no one to key on in the offense besides Martin with both Winston and Evans out this game.  I think the offense is going to struggle the entire game and it's going to be a little ugly.  

Sims was a third down back, nothing more. Martin has been consistently at 15+ carries for as long as I can remember when healthy. 

Sims is probably the worst pure RB in the league. Great hands, would make a great slot guy if some team smarter than the Bucs ever converted him, but he is absolutely dreadful running behind a line. I've never in my life seen a RB that bad. 

How Dirk doesn't get Sims the ball more in space is beyond me, but hopefully we only have 8 more games of his dreadful offense. 

Big ball of confusion over Martin this week, keep taking him out for Morris then putting him back in. Just know if I bench him he'll go off 

Big ball of confusion over Martin this week, keep taking him out for Morris then putting him back in. Just know if I bench him he'll go off 
Doing the same flip flopping.

Tie breaker to me now is better offense in Dallas = better chance at a TD for Morris.

Keeping Doug in there for this week. If it's another goose egg, he's out. I have Sanders on the bench and a actively on the WW. Only downside is I have a short bench (2spots), so need to be sure he's done before dropping him. Can't carry him and someone else. 

Doing the same flip flopping.

Tie breaker to me now is better offense in Dallas = better chance at a TD for Morris.
Rolling out Dak and Dez today. I want to Morris in, but the whole too many eggs in the same basket thing concerns me. 

Ugh. Dealt for Martin in two leagues this season and they are by far the worst trades I’ve ever made. Didn’t see the game but the stat line shows that it’s time to stick a fork in this guy.  :wall:

This was his last shot for me and now starting week 11 he is riding my bench until he shows me a reason to start him again.  Sucks.  

switched him out for Miller at the last second.  hope it doesn't come back to burn me.  Obviously the guy, but very little room to work, so depends on your philosophy whether to use him or not going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread