What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any suggestions for a Peru vacation? (1 Viewer)

biju

Footballguy
My wife and I just booked a little over two weeks in Peru with a focus on Cuzco and the surrounding areas (obviously Machu Picchu is included there), Lake Titicaca and the areas around there (with a likely station at Puno), and then Arequipa (Canon del Calco, a quick flyover of Nazca).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We tend to be more adventurous, with a tilt toward good food (at any price), good drinks, and sites of historical or cultural significance.

Thanks!

Consider the Bolivia the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca - Copacaba and the Isla del Sol. The Bolivian side is less developed and is much cheaper. Copacaba has great trout and offers views of the Lake. Also, folkloric music is played in places called a peña in both Bolivia and Peru. The shows can last for several hours can include dinner and drinks.

Consider the Bolivia the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca - Copacaba and the Isla del Sol. The Bolivian side is less developed and is much cheaper. Copacaba has great trout and offers views of the Lake. Also, folkloric music is played in places called a peña in both Bolivia and Peru. The shows can last for several hours can include dinner and drinks.
Interesting. Did you find getting to Bolivia (crossing the border) difficult?

Interesting. Did you find getting to Bolivia (crossing the border) difficult?
My ex was from Bolivia so it was an all Bolivian trip. It's about 4 hours from Puno to Copacabana by bus, but the price of a visa is unclear. I enjoyed hiking the Isla del Sol (and that would be one of the main reasons to visit Copacabana) but our trip was cut short because some in our group were affected by the altitude - 12,500 feet! It's best to hire a guide. The Bolivian archaeological sites (Tiwanaku, for example) are not generally impressive, due partly to extensive looting many years ago. If I went to Bolivia again, I'd be sure to include the Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat with some amazing landscapes. You need to be in shape and/or take time adjust to the altitude. In Bolivia, we always spent a few days in Sucre (9,000 feet) or Cochabamba (8,000 feet) before going to LaPaz (12,000 feet). You should not go too far off the beaten path anywhere in Latin America.

There may be a Peru thread from a few years ago. I went with my ex and used a friend of a FBG as a fixer for the trip. Highly recommended.

I'm going in May. We're spending half the trip in the Puerto Maldonado/ rainforest area. The main thing I've heard from pretty much everyone is to avoid Aguas Calientes for everything except sleeping the night before you go to Macchu Pichu.

Although in Ecuador a cruise at the Galapagos is highly recommended. Diving is also a possibility on live-a-board basis, something I regret I did not get to do.

The inca trail is amazing. Remember to acclimatize in Cuzco properly before going. See if you can get your guides to agree leaving very early the last day for Macchu Picchu, walking through the Sun gate (IIRC) at dawn and then having 3-4 hrs at Macchu Picchu before the trains arrive is fantastic. Do not skimp on carrying water.

Cuzco, Puno, etc. are all at 12,000 ft or above. People react differently to that altitude; some have no problem acclimatizing immediately and some can take 2 or 3 days. Altitude sickness is no fun, so take your time and acclimatize.

Cuzco, Puno, etc. are all at 12,000 ft or above. People react differently to that altitude; some have no problem acclimatizing immediately and some can take 2 or 3 days. Altitude sickness is no fun, so take your time and acclimatize.
:goodposting:

You can get medicine to assist. End 90'ies at least it was legal to buy without prescription in Lima . IIRC you need to take one pill at sea level.

Going in June for the first time in 10 years. Also looking for some ideas. I'm taking my nephew with me this time (he just turned 18) and we will probably spend a half a week doing the Cusco/Machu Picchu thing and I'm looking for a second leg. Would really like to go to Iquitos but a one-way ticket from Cusco is $360!!! (x2). Can get to Arequipa for $150 and I'd like to check it out, but I don't know if there's enough there to keep the nephew interested.

Went to Bolivia a couple of years ago and liked Copacabana and Lake Titicaca. Went to Tiahuanaco and it was ok, but really liked Samaipata in the lowlands near Santa Cruz.

Took diamox the last time I went to Cusco (11,000 ft) and didn't have any problems. Didn't take anything before going to La Paz (12,000 ft) and it totally kicked my a$$ the first day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arequipa was my favorite place on our trip. Spent new years there. I'll try to dig up some info for ya cf
That would be great, thanks.

In researching this trip the last 2-3 months I am amazed (and extremely annoyed) at how expensive everything is compared to the last time I went. They have really gone to lengths to #### tourists. I would say it will eventually bite them in the ### but people obviously keep going. But this will most likely be my last visit for a very long time (maybe ever).

Finally have everything set up. Leaving this coming Friday afternoon. After weeks of hand-wringing, I finally decided to nix Arequipa from the itinerary. Only being in Peru one week, there's just not enough time to include everything and it just didn't fit in. So here's what I've got:

Sat - arrive in Cusco about 1pm, try to take it easy and acclimatize

Sun - all day Machu Picchu tour

Mon - all day Sacred Valley tour

Tue - day off, walk around Cusco, buy souvenirs/gifts, maybe check out Sacsayhuaman

Wed - return to Lima, take bus to Ica and taxi to Huacachina

Thu - check out Huacachina, Nazca Lines flight around noon, dune buggy and sandboarding tour in the afternoon

Fri - head to Paracas for tours of Ballestas Islands and Paracas National Reserve, catch bus from Paracas to Lima

Sat - check out Plaza Mayor, Miraflores, and whatever else we might come across

Sun - head home

I'm getting really excited again now that everything is finally lined up. Will be great to visit Peru again, and am really excited for my nephew to experience something like this for the first time.

Finally have everything set up. Leaving this coming Friday afternoon. After weeks of hand-wringing, I finally decided to nix Arequipa from the itinerary. Only being in Peru one week, there's just not enough time to include everything and it just didn't fit in. So here's what I've got:

Sat - arrive in Cusco about 1pm, try to take it easy and acclimatize

Sun - all day Machu Picchu tour

Mon - all day Sacred Valley tour

Tue - day off, walk around Cusco, buy souvenirs/gifts, maybe check out Sacsayhuaman

Wed - return to Lima, take bus to Ica and taxi to Huacachina

Thu - check out Huacachina, Nazca Lines flight around noon, dune buggy and sandboarding tour in the afternoon

Fri - head to Paracas for tours of Ballestas Islands and Paracas National Reserve, catch bus from Paracas to Lima

Sat - check out Plaza Mayor, Miraflores, and whatever else we might come across

Sun - head home

I'm getting really excited again now that everything is finally lined up. Will be great to visit Peru again, and am really excited for my nephew to experience something like this for the first time.
Leave some money for the peasants, you tightwad.

Users who are viewing this thread