Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread

This one stings: 2010 draft. Pats trade down, Broncos use that pick to get Demaryius Thomas. The Cowboys then grab Dez Bryant... Pats get McCourty. Meh.

are you matt millen?

If only they would have asked you for draft advice back then, give us a break with this crap. Every franchise in the league could play this stupid game.

Really? Most teams use their picks and try to get good players.... I could lay it out but a previous poster already posted about Bellichick's poor draft record. It's glaring and extra-ordinary. But I'll stop as it seems like a touchy subject.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. I figure this is as good of a place to do this as any. I've been on the Brady and Patriot hate train for a very long time. What we saw last night was the poise of a legendary QB and coach,

I heart BB when he talks X's and O's. Just heard radio interview with Hoodie and morphed into 15 minute discussion on Randy Moss. Said Moss is the smartest receiver he's ever seen.  Mentioned tha

Yeah, well he literally tried to **** our daughter, so he's not as high on my list as yours.

This one stings: 2010 draft. Pats trade down, Broncos use that pick to get Demaryius Thomas. The Cowboys then grab Dez Bryant... Pats get McCourty. Meh.

are you matt millen?

If only they would have asked you for draft advice back then, give us a break with this crap. Every franchise in the league could play this stupid game.

Really? Most teams use their picks and try to get good players.... I could lay it out but a previous poster already posted about Bellichick's poor draft record. It's glaring and extra-ordinary. But I'll stop as it seems like a touchy subject.

Honestly, those that think BB cant draft, don't know football. They are usually bandwagon fans that barely follow the sport. Yes BB has had his share of misses, but so has every single team in the league, and most are much worse.

• Like 1

That's not so bad...

With the Packers, the Patriots trade UP and took Chad Jackson. GB used the Patriots pick for WR Greg Jennings.

Bellichick is one of the greatest football minds ever, from the draft to the field. There's no doubt. He has not done too well, for different reasons, in drafting or developing or getting.. WR's. Maybe we're all set as some seem to think, but there are also some of us, including professionals in the field, who believe this is a downfall (maybe weakness is a better word) of his and has hurt the Patriots in the past and continues along the same road. Some of us are not content with being a perennial playoff team and getting to a point, like last year, where Julian Edelman is your #1 WR and his limitations are exposed- no fault of his own really, and your #1 TE is Hoomanawanuii....

Sure, you could say it's arrogant and we "have a shot", luxury problems... all valid. But to say that it's not perplexing (when your best player on the team is your QB) to not take more actions to surround him with better talent and depth- is wrong. ANd Bellichick deserves criticism here, however much he's revered. And, no, jail and injuries aren't an excuse. There was time in the offseason, time in the draft, in possible trades. It has been continually under-addressed and it's baffling. Like I mentioned, Chris Gasper was the guest on Felger and Mazz and he speaks about this very thing:

(if ya want to hear it, lol: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/16/felger-mazz-may-16-2014/ )

Bellichick's legacy will be a great one, but very different if he wins a 4th SB versus the 3 he has now.

Edited by AngryPatriot

are you matt millen?

Well, that didn't last long.

Didn't you get enough attention growing up?

are you matt millen?

I apologize for being angry with you but I would like to think you are better then that. That is a game high school kids play with their teams, well if the Patriots drafted this guy where would they be those idiots. I would love to see you go through the drafts of Bellichek because I have a hard time believing that it can be that poor and a team wins that consistently.

12punch- Do you have a take or something to add? Something about the Patriots...? You can't hurt my feeling on this here internets! lol There's too many of these junior high posters on this board these days, constantly commenting on the poster and not the topic. It's no wonder most threads get derailed into petty nonsense. Go outside, try life, it's ok. Mingooch must be right, there's actually more bandwagoners, trollers and haters on here than actual Pats fan.

msudaisy26- no problem and you're essentially right. My post above focusing on the wr area explains my point. Hope springs eternal and, like I've previously stated, the PAts should be better than last year, a SB favorite. We'll see how the TE.WR situation plays out.

Edited by AngryPatriot

12punch- Do you have a take or something to add? Something about the Patriots...? You can't hurt my feeling on this here internets! lol There's too many of these junior high posters on this board these days, constantly commenting on the poster and not the topic. It's no wonder most threads get derailed into petty nonsense. Go outside, try life, it's ok. Mingooch must be right, there's actually more bandwagoners, trollers and haters on here than actual Pats fan.

msudaisy26- no problem and you're essentially right. My post above focusing on the wr area explains my point. Hope springs eternal and, like I've previously stated, the PAts should be better than last year, a SB favorite. We'll see how the TE.WR situation plays out.

you really spent 1100 posts masquerading as a pats fans and trolling these annual threads?

I think after maybe 100 you're just trolling yourself.

Sources: Pats sign ex-Maine WR Johnson
May, 18, 2014
MAY 18
4:10
PM ET
By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com
The Patriots have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Derrick Johnson, according to league sources.

Johnson, who attended the University of Maine, was a standout for the Black Bears program. He was tied for the team lead in 2013 with 60 catches, including two receiving scores.

He brings an element of speed to the field, as he reportedly was the fastest player in the Maine program with a 40 time clocked in the 4.3 range.

The Patriots had four open roster spots prior to the Johnson addition, with 11 wide receivers signed to deals. The team drafted Jeremy Gallon out of Michigan in the seventh round, adding to a receiver corps led by Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola
Edited by AngryPatriot

you really spent 1100 posts masquerading as a pats fans and trolling these annual threads?

I think after maybe 100 you're just trolling yourself.

Classic :bs: . At least I bring some passion to the table not this kind of nonsense. But this is what you live for: THE RESPONSE. Oh, yeah!

Boston Lying-In (now Brigham and Womens fyi) to Tufts, to UMASS to the dirt dogs. I've sat on the cold steel benches of old Foxboro in -10. I've wondered how Plunkett went on to win SB's in Oakland, lol. I saw Craig james rush for over 1200 yards, young grasshopper, Ben Coates catch 96 passes, Curtis Martin (good draft pick) get traded to the Jets! I'm no paid football expert but just another Pats fan, by here and from here. I welcome anyone's different opinion and discussion. If all you want to do is pathetic insults, whatever floats your boat.

One more Super Bowl, baby!

are you matt millen?

Honestly, those that think BB cant draft, don't know football. They are usually bandwagon fans that barely follow the sport. Yes BB has had his share of misses, but so has every single team in the league, and most are much worse.

Yah I don't understand why so many fans get grading drafts wrong. You do NOT grade them on failures. Every single team has failures. You grade them on hits.

1. How many all pros they drafted

2. How many pro bowlers they drafted

3. How many starters they drafted.

I think we can all agree that we have some passionate Pats fans on this board and in this thread. I think we can also agree that not all Pats fans have the same opinion on the same Pats-related subject. So, let's try to agree to respect each others opinions, even when arguing with someone with an entirely different viewpoint. This thread has had a lot of great content and discussion, so let's keep that rolling.

On that note, any thoughts about whether any of the UDFAs that the Pats signed recently make the roster? I know it's hard to say without reading any practice reports, but I feel like one of those three tight ends has a good shot right now.

snickers, you're right, stand corrected. Too many Sam's years ago as well.

I hope one of those TE's make it, maybe this 6'8" dude:

Massive East Carolina tight end Justin Jones signed with the Patriots, ESPN.com’s Field Yates reported Saturday. Jones is 6-foot-8, 274 pounds and sat out the 2013 season due to academic issues. He ran a 4.90-second 40-yard dash with a 6.88-second three-cone and 38-inch vertical leap at Detroit’s Scouting Regional Combine in March.

They already hit it big in the UDFA TE sweepstakes last year when the Pats found Gronk Jr. in Zach Sudfeld.

Zack and Lamar Miller were the foundation of many fantasy championship teams...in August...

They already hit it big in the UDFA TE sweepstakes last year when the Pats found Gronk Jr. in Zach Sudfeld.

Zack and Lamar Miller were the foundation of many fantasy championship teams...in August...

Hey, the hype elevated Zach and Kenbrell out of my reach, enabling a championship caliber draft.

Hoping there is something the the Jermichael Finley rumors, seems like a risk well worth taking at this point.

I like Finley more than Keller, but I would really love if Arizona released Housler and the Pats scooped him up.

Trust me, AZ (and Pat) fan here, you want nothing to do with Housler. He's had every chance over the last 3 years to prove something and just hasnt. Regularly misses blocking assignments (finally Cards are doing something about that) and drops way too many catchable balls. From watching nearly every Card game over his career, although certainly talented, it really just seems like he doesnt have the drive to become a better, more consistent player. It may be the coaching, but over 2 regimes we have seen Andre Roberts, Michael Floyd and Ellington blossu, yet dreck like Jeff King and Jim Dray has kept Housler from more playing time.

Edited by wodahSShadow

Trust me, AZ (and Pat) fan here, you want nothing to do with Housler. He's had every chance over the last 3 years to prove something and just hasnt. Regularly misses blocking assignments (finally Cards are doing something about that) and drops way too many catchable balls. From watching nearly every Card game over his career, although certainly talented, it really just seems like he doesnt have the drive to become a better, more consistent player. It may be the coaching, but over 2 regimes we have seen Andre Roberts, Michael Floyd and Ellington blossu, yet dreck like Jeff King and Jim Dray has kept Housler from more playing time.

Might have something to do with being a move TE being used as an in line blocker.

Pats sign FA TE Kyle Auffray. Guy didn't make the Cardinals roster last year as a 26 year old rookie, may or may not make the roster. Either way his measurables are ridiculous.

6'6", 252 lbs. 4.57 40, 4.15 short shuttle, 28 reps, 6.72 3-cone, 34" vert, 9'5 broad jump.

Might not even get a chance to be this years Sudfeld.

Edited by Run It Up

Pats sign FA TE Kyle Auffray. Guy didn't make the Cardinals roster last year as a 26 year old rookie, may or may not make the roster. Either way his measurables are ridiculous.

6'6", 252 lbs. 4.57 40, 4.15 short shuttle, 28 reps, 6.72 3-cone, 34" vert, 9'5 broad jump.

check him out here

Edited by Kool-Aid Larry

Some info on the Pats newest LB (From Mike Reiss)...hopefully he works out...the Pats need LB depth and the fact he is good in coverage could be a real asset to a team that needs help in that area from LB...still interested to see what veteran TE they bring in...

Film study on new LB James Anderson

June, 7, 2014

The New England Patriots signed veteran linebacker James Anderson on Wednesday, and to get a better feel for Anderson's style of play, three games at different points of the 2013 season were dissected as part of a film study.

Games: Week 1 versus Bengals (24-21 win); Week 7 at Redskins (45-41 loss); Week 17 versus Packers (33-28 loss).

[+] EnlargeJames Anderson

AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

James Anderson will likely be utilized for his coverage skills in sub packages.Alignment/usage: The Bears run a 4-3 defense and Anderson, as one would expect, was mostly utilized in an off-the-line role. He started all 16 games and stayed on the field in the nickel defense, while coming off in the dime. The Bears would occasionally blitz him, usually on third down by lining him up directly over the center in a two-point stance. Anderson also aligned at the end of the line of scrimmage a handful of times, where he'd either rush or attempt to set a hard edge in the running game. Occasionally he'd also split out wide in coverage on a running back or receiver.

Pass coverage a strength: Anderson matched up against tight ends, receivers and running backs and mostly held his own. The first defensive play of the season seemed to reflect his solid feel for the passing game, as he aligned on the weak side of the formation, stayed home as there was play-action to the opposite side, and then was in position to quickly bring down tight end Tyler Eifert who had come in motion to his side to catch a short pass while headed toward the sideline. We saw Anderson later break up a pass to receiver Mohamed Sanu on third-and-5, and also drop out of an A-gap blitz look into a short zone and almost intercept a pass intended for receiver Marvin Jones on a slant. He consistently showed an ability to open his hips and carry a tight end down the field as he still runs well. In the season finale, Anderson's ability to drop deep in middle coverage made a potential touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson a tougher throw than it would have been otherwise (it was thrown too high and was incomplete). Overall, Anderson seemed more effective playing backwards than towards the line of scrimmage, with a little bit of a knack for dropping out of a blitz look and making a play as a pass defender. The biggest knock on Anderson in the passing game was a mental error we saw in the season finale as he failed to scoop up a loose football on what initially appeared to be an incomplete pass (the ball slipping out of Rodgers' hand) but was actually a fumble that the Packers advanced for a touchdown.

Not a stack-and-shed linebacker: At 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, Anderson is not in the mold of the traditional Patriots-type stack-and-shed linebacker. He's at the opposite end of the spectrum from a downhill thumper like Brandon Spikes as he didn't consistently defeat blocks in the running game, whether matched up against fullbacks, tight ends or offensive tackles. That said, it's not for a lack of effort -- he drew a holding penalty on Redskins full back Darrel Young and set a solid edge against Bengals Eifert on a BenJarvus Green-Ellis minus-4-yard run -- and he's a sound tackler when the play is in front of him. But overall, he's going to win more with instincts and quickness than power and physicality.

Projecting Anderson's role with Patriots: Unlike the Bears, who struggled on defense in 2013, the Patriots almost certainly won't be calling on Anderson for full-time duties should he make the roster. So he adds depth and his coverage skills could be tapped in a variety of ways based on each week's defensive game-plan, most likely in sub packages (which the Patriots were in 67 percent of the time last year). In that sense, Anderson's signing reminds me a little bit of the Patriots and another former Chicago Bear -- defensive end Mark Anderson (2011). The Patriots used Mark Anderson solely as a nickel rusher and got the best out of him with that less-is-more approach. The same could hold true with James Anderson, who could be a solid addition as a fourth or fifth linebacker.

He had 4 catches for 37 yards his whole senior year...at UNH. Seems like a major stretch to make the roster.

• 1 month later...

Patriots sign veteran TE Nate Byham!!!!

well, better than nothing... but training camp is almost here. Now is when the news will start.

pats cut te nate bynham!!!

You can't stop Nate Bynham...you can only hope to contain him...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/25/notes-bill-belichick-says-patriots-revolve-around-jerod-mayo/gQmVzqrb1gpBOBTlZQPV5N/story.html

The NFL, according to former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira, is including defensive holding and illegal holding as points of emphasis this season.

Belichick said officials are coming to Foxborough during training camp to discuss the rule changes. He said they’ll be here the week of Aug. 15, when the Patriots host the Philadelphia Eagles for joint practices and an exhibition game.

“[if] it’s a rule that maybe has some gray area, or a rule that’s not a rule change, which is pretty common, the league does this every year. It doesn’t change a rule, it just says, ‘We’re going to emphasize it differently,’ ” Belichick said. “Well, I don’t really know what that means, because we’ve tried to play by the rules from the beginning.

“I think you definitely have to get to the preseason, or in some cases, the regular season, to see how that’s going to be.”

The coach added that he’s been briefed on the changes, but until they actually are implemented in the game, there’s no telling how they’ll be called.

Nothing major but interesting to see Belichick and Chip scrimmaging together again.

Edited by DawnBTVS

I usually don't listen to any of these pressers, but I thought this was an interesting one from belichick --- he got into teh evolution of the league a bit.

really unfortunate that more reporters can't ask these kind of questions and usually just waste everyone's time with nonsense.

• Like 1

I'll be heading to camp next week (not sure which day, yet)... Anyone want me to look for anything in particular?

I'd like to know how the linebackers are getting used, if you can take a look at that -- that reminds me, I should go over to patsfans and check for tc threads.

Patriots claimed RB Tyler Gaffney off waivers from the Panthers.

Was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 24th round of the 2012 draft and pursued a professional baseball career. Spent that summer with the Class-A State College Spikes in the New York-Penn League and hit .297 in 38 games. After the one-year hiatus from football, he returned in 2013 for his senior season and to complete his degree. He also was a starting running back for the first time. Amassed 330 rushes for 1,709 yards (5.2) and 21 TDs and 15 catches for 86 yards and a TD in 14 starts. Rushed a school-record 45 times vs. Oregon.

Was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 24th round of the 2012 draft and pursued a professional baseball career. Spent that summer with the Class-A State College Spikes in the New York-Penn League and hit .297 in 38 games. After the one-year hiatus from football, he returned in 2013 for his senior season and to complete his degree. He also was a starting running back for the first time. Amassed 330 rushes for 1,709 yards (5.2) and 21 TDs and 15 catches for 86 yards and a TD in 14 starts. Rushed a school-record 45 times vs. Oregon.

I saw this yesterday and was surprised since Gaffney's season is already done due to a knee injury.

I saw this yesterday and was surprised since Gaffney's season is already done due to a knee injury.

Ridley, Vereen and Bolden are all free agents after this season...that is 75% of their backfield...this is probably a roll of the dice that he can potentially be a factor in 2015 should they need to restock this position...