What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

Bucky Brooks on NFL.com commented that NE will actually be better this year without Brady and he was holding them back last year. Essentially the offense should have more variety, Stidham will spread the ball around, and Stidham Is way more mobile. (Although he does think BUF has closed the gap.)

Straight up? Nah. After a trade? Of course.
I’m thinking only way that could possibly happen is if the team that comes in last already has their franchise QB in place, and that would be odd. No team in need of a QB is going to trade TLawrence for anything. 

Bucky Brooks on NFL.com commented that NE will actually be better this year without Brady and he was holding them back last year. Essentially the offense should have more variety, Stidham will spread the ball around, and Stidham Is way more mobile. (Although he does think BUF has closed the gap.)
Haha, Bucky is a funny guy. Lets see here, my view from 40k feet is that Brady was holding them back, yeah thats it. All that talent on offense and disinterested Brady just held them back, now they are going to put a real qb in there (one who is "interested") and this offense is going to soar; soar i tell ya!   

Haha, Bucky is a funny guy. Lets see here, my view from 40k feet is that Brady was holding them back, yeah thats it. All that talent on offense and disinterested Brady just held them back, now they are going to put a real qb in there (one who is "interested") and this offense is going to soar; soar i tell ya!   

Last edited by a moderator:
Last season Super Bowl winner was on rookie contract. I wonder what the team looks like when he gets a big contract. 
This has been discussed in several other threads. Here is a list of SB winning QBs and their contracts for as far back as I could find them.

2019 - Mahomes - $4.5M (32nd)
2018 - Brady - $21.5M (12th)
2017 - Wentz $6M (27th)
2016 - Brady $13.8 (18th)
2015 - Peyton $17.5M (6th)
2014 - Brady $14.8M (12th)
2013 - Wilson $680K (53rd)
2012 - Flacco $8M (16th)
2011 - Eli $14.1M (5th)
2010 - Rodgers $6.5M (21st)
2009 - Bres - $10.7M (14th)
2008 - Big Ben - $8M (11th)
2007 - Eli - $10M (4th)
2006 - Peyton - $10.6M (6th)
2005 - Big Ben - $4.2M (14th)
2004 - Brady - $5M (8th)
2003 - Brady - $3.3M (13th)
2002 - Brad Johnson - $6.8M
2001 - Brady - $310K

So far, teams with QBs on big dollar deals haven't been able to secure a title. Other than the Giants with Eli, no other team has won with a Top 5 QB in terms of salary cap value. NE's first title only paying $310K is crazy (but they were paying Bledoe, so not quite the coup it would have been otherwise).

If I had to guess, KC will flame out once they have to start paying Mahomes and a bunch of other star players market value (that as of now are not costing them all that much).

Foles in 2017 in case you want fix list. But point remains the same. Thanks for this list. Drafting QBs might be the most important aspect of title contenders now.
I didn’t forget Foles. I listed Wentz as he played the majority of the season and had the bigger contract. It didn’t really matter either way for PHI . . . they didn’t have a big cap number for QBs that season. 

Brooks is an analyst.  On major broadcasts, there are staff writers. There is not enough legitimate NFL news, even with  the draft and large roster and FA and all that, to cover a 24/7/365 news cycle. It's just not possible. So broadcasts need to create different takes and different viewpoints to generate ratings/interest/discussion

What this means is just because an NFL analyst says something, it doesn't mean he actually believes it. I think Skip Bayless was interviewed once where he finally said the writers tell him and Stephen A Smith what to say and they just try to stir the pot as much as possible to get ratings.

So yes, as a matter of principle, Brady's contract was holding this team back. But it's true for nearly every veteran QB1 in the NFL, so he's not alone. This is a SYSTEMATIC problem, not just one for the Patriots.
I agree with the top portion and much of the other things you said but I found the sound bite and Bucky wasn't referring to Brady's contract he was referring to his ability to play which I think is silly. If NE gets relatively the same amount of crippling injs\bad luck on offense this yr they will be much worse not better. But im on record as saying I doubt that happens and I think 6-10 is worst case scenario and with some solid def and better luck they could win 10 games. People can disagree, time will tell. 

This has been discussed in several other threads. Here is a list of SB winning QBs and their contracts for as far back as I could find them.

2019 - Mahomes - $4.5M (32nd)
2018 - Brady - $21.5M (12th)
2017 - Wentz $6M (27th)
2016 - Brady $13.8 (18th)
2015 - Peyton $17.5M (6th)
2014 - Brady $14.8M (12th)
2013 - Wilson $680K (53rd)
2012 - Flacco $8M (16th)
2011 - Eli $14.1M (5th)
2010 - Rodgers $6.5M (21st)
2009 - Bres - $10.7M (14th)
2008 - Big Ben - $8M (11th)
2007 - Eli - $10M (4th)
2006 - Peyton - $10.6M (6th)
2005 - Big Ben - $4.2M (14th)
2004 - Brady - $5M (8th)
2003 - Brady - $3.3M (13th)
2002 - Brad Johnson - $6.8M
2001 - Brady - $310K

So far, teams with QBs on big dollar deals haven't been able to secure a title. Other than the Giants with Eli, no other team has won with a Top 5 QB in terms of salary cap value. NE's first title only paying $310K is crazy (but they were paying Bledoe, so not quite the coup it would have been otherwise).

If I had to guess, KC will flame out once they have to start paying Mahomes and a bunch of other star players market value (that as of now are not costing them all that much).
You won't get an argument from me that large QB contracts are debilitating to their teams chances of winning SBs; I have felt all along that QBs particularly when older are much better served taking a little less. Most teams have no choice but to overpay them.

The list puts the lie to the recently popular narrative that Brady didn't really take significantly less all those years and that the money saved didn't factor all that much into the teams success; when it seems pretty obvious that it did, the only question is to what degree.  

You won't get an argument from me that large QB contracts are debilitating to their teams chances of winning SBs; I have felt all along that QBs particularly when older are much better served taking a little less. Most teams have no choice but to overpay them.

The list puts the lie to the recently popular narrative that Brady didn't really take significantly less all those years and that the money saved didn't factor all that much into the teams success; when it seems pretty obvious that it did, the only question is to what degree.  
IMO, "lie" is a bit of a reach in terms of a word choice. It's extremely difficult to evaluate salary cap data and interpret the impact from those numbers.  Unfortunately, salary cap math is not the same as real math.

For starters, Brady's departure from NE this year left the team with a $13.5 million cap charge in dead money. Put another way, DEAD CAP ALLOCATED FOR BRADY would be the 19th highest paid QB for the 2020 season if it were an actual person.

Looking over the last three NE SB winning teams, I just posted that Brady's cap hit ranked 12th, 18th, and 12th. However, if they chose to apply $4.5 million in each of those 3 seasons (to account for the $13.5M), Brady would have ranked 2nd, 13th, and 2nd in terms of salary cap hits for those seasons. If that had been the case, would people still have been saying how little Brady was playing for? Remember, Brady would have been 37, 39, and 41. To be the second highest paid player at those ages may have been considered a lot of money. He may well have been worth it, but a lot of people would have said it's crazy to pay a 41 year old QB that kind of money.

Again, it's really hard to evaluate any of this. A lot depends on when players renew or extend contracts. It's not just as simple as looking up where a player ranked in salary cap charges in a given year,  as players signing new deals typically get paid better and players fulfilling their old deals are usually on the lower side of pay by the end of the contract.

Even if we say Brady took a little less and that benefited the team in some manor and helped them win more, in the long run that would have served to HELP Brady. For example, if he reached the point and said to NE I need to be the highest paid QB or close to it, NE may not have won 3 more SB's and Brady may not have been considered the GOAT. Personally, I think there would be plenty of people who would have said Brady was a good QB, but if he never won after 2004 I doubt he would have the same buzz surrounding him. I would feel confident that by giving back a few million dollars a year to NE, that ultimately allowed Brady to make 10x that amount in endorsements the past few years and allowed him to create the TB12 brand.

Certainly all of the salary cap stuff is debatable, and there can be multiple ways to look at the information and potentially conclude different things.

IMO, "lie" is a bit of a reach in terms of a word choice. It's extremely difficult to evaluate salary cap data and interpret the impact from those numbers.  Unfortunately, salary cap math is not the same as real math.

For starters, Brady's departure from NE this year left the team with a $13.5 million cap charge in dead money. Put another way, DEAD CAP ALLOCATED FOR BRADY would be the 19th highest paid QB for the 2020 season if it were an actual person.

Looking over the last three NE SB winning teams, I just posted that Brady's cap hit ranked 12th, 18th, and 12th. However, if they chose to apply $4.5 million in each of those 3 seasons (to account for the $13.5M), Brady would have ranked 2nd, 13th, and 2nd in terms of salary cap hits for those seasons. If that had been the case, would people still have been saying how little Brady was playing for? Remember, Brady would have been 37, 39, and 41. To be the second highest paid player at those ages may have been considered a lot of money. He may well have been worth it, but a lot of people would have said it's crazy to pay a 41 year old QB that kind of money.

Again, it's really hard to evaluate any of this. A lot depends on when players renew or extend contracts. It's not just as simple as looking up where a player ranked in salary cap charges in a given year,  as players signing new deals typically get paid better and players fulfilling their old deals are usually on the lower side of pay by the end of the contract.

Even if we say Brady took a little less and that benefited the team in some manor and helped them win more, in the long run that would have served to HELP Brady. For example, if he reached the point and said to NE I need to be the highest paid QB or close to it, NE may not have won 3 more SB's and Brady may not have been considered the GOAT. Personally, I think there would be plenty of people who would have said Brady was a good QB, but if he never won after 2004 I doubt he would have the same buzz surrounding him. I would feel confident that by giving back a few million dollars a year to NE, that ultimately allowed Brady to make 10x that amount in endorsements the past few years and allowed him to create the TB12 brand.

Certainly all of the salary cap stuff is debatable, and there can be multiple ways to look at the information and potentially conclude different things.
Ftr, "puts the lie to" is just an idiom I seldom get to use and couldn't pass it up, i wasn't trying to call anyone a liar but I do believe it is a false narrative that became popular recently when somebody wrote a biased "story".

I don't know what to make of all the cap maneuverings? Its like the aforementioned recent "story" where I believe the guy didn't start counting Bradys contracts until 2005. I was simply using your list of numbers of no big dollar SB winners. If we move cap numbers around and make it top 6 you have eli and peyton and brady all on the list twice. But whatevs u r correct on ten cap stuff being debatable so lets not do that.

Regarding the bolded1, "even if we say Brady took a little less" what do you mean even if we say? IMHO its a fact the only question is how much.

Regarding bolded2, "in the long run (taking a little less) helped Brady" YES! I agree completely it was to Brady's benefit and never meant to imply otherwise if that is what I did.   

Rex Burkhead reworked his contract, with his salary dropping from $2.5 million to $1.05 million with a $500,000 signing bonus. The move frees up just under $1 million in cap space. Several people had suggested that he would be the odd man out and would be the one released in the NE backfield. That does not appear to be the case. As of now, the crowded backfield still has Michel, White, Burkhead, Harris, Bolden, and Vitale.

Jesus Christ Pats stay winning. I had read the consensus was that they'd have to pay all of the initial bonus... trying to see how much Brown officially got.

EDIT:

The Patriots had owed receiver Brown $9 million, and as part of the settlement, he will instead receive $5 million, per sources.

The settlement is notable, as some experts viewed the Patriots' chances of recouping any money as low. The Patriots gave Brown a $9 million signing bonus on Sept. 7, and half of it was to be paid on Sept. 23, three days after they cut him. The other half was to be paid in January.

ESPN
I have no idea how they wrangled this. CBA was clearly in favor of Brown in this case.

Jesus Christ Pats stay winning. I had read the consensus was that they'd have to pay all of the initial bonus... trying to see how much Brown officially got.

EDIT:

I have no idea how they wrangled this. CBA was clearly in favor of Brown in this case.
I am guessing that NE threatened to drag out the grievance and arbitration process and potentially would have called AB and / or other witnesses that may have put more black marks on Brown's already damaged reputation. Brown ended up getting $5 million of the $9 million bonus. IIRC, he got $1 million guaranteed last year. So if my math is right, he ended up getting $6 million to play in a single game. (I am not sure how much of the $1 million he was paid last year or if the new $5 million settlement includes that or not).

The NE argument was that Brown did not operate in good faith, as the expectation at the time he signed the contract would have been that there would be no outstanding reasons why he would not be able to fulfill the contract. The Pats would obviously argue that Brown and his agent knew the civil case was coming and did not disclose it (along with other complaints) that led to him being released. I am not saying they would have been able to win that argument, only that that would have been the likely road they would have taken.

Yikes, this is typical 40k foot view crap from someone who doesn't really know anything about the team.
I think there are plenty of naysayers who just wish NE would die off already and be dead and buried for the next 20 years. I love all the things people are pulling out as evidence that NE will be horrible (mostly based on how BB has fared without Brady). They say BB was terrible in Cleveland (even though he was the last Browns coach to win a playoff game). They say NE was terrible the first year with BB (when Brady warmed the bench). They point out that BB has coached plenty of other QB that have played in conference title games besides Brady (Jimmy Garoppolo, Drew Bledsoe, Bernie Kosar, Mike Tomczak, Vinny Testaverde, and Mark Rypien). Clearly if BB were the genius people are suggesting he is, he would have won with any of those guys at QB.

What they don't say is that Cleveland was a dumpster fire and BB took them from 3-13 and the worst defense in the league (28.9 ppg allowed) to 11-5 and the #1 defense (12.8 ppg) in a few years. Sure, he had a down year in his first year in NE . . . but they won the SB in Year 2. For some reason, analysts are making the 2019 Patriots out to be a 3-13 team (that somehow Brady did Herculean work to get them to 12 wins).

Hopefully we will get to see how things play out this year . . .

what does everyone think of the DST this year?  Obviously probably a decline from last year but are they worthy of a higher pick?

A reliable #8 defense year over year.  They stay out of the top 5 for the most part because BB hates ball hawks (Asante Samuel, hi!).
I sort of disagree on the last part. The defense is all taught to strip the ball and to be in position to bait players for some picks. The defense won't get as many return TDs this year (that was a fluke last year) and probably will have fewer interceptions (they played a lot of bad QBs last season). But they should still be solid in not allowing a ton of yards or points again this year. So fewer forced turnovers and fewer return TD's will put them in the pack with other decent defenses. I would guess in many redraft leagues someone will value the NE DEF/ST as the top unit again and take them way too early. If an entire league thinks NE will be terrible this year, maybe they will drop to the point where they are worth picking up (but somehow I doubt it).

I sort of disagree on the last part. The defense is all taught to strip the ball and to be in position to bait players for some picks. The defense won't get as many return TDs this year (that was a fluke last year) and probably will have fewer interceptions (they played a lot of bad QBs last season). But they should still be solid in not allowing a ton of yards or points again this year. So fewer forced turnovers and fewer return TD's will put them in the pack with other decent defenses. I would guess in many redraft leagues someone will value the NE DEF/ST as the top unit again and take them way too early. If an entire league thinks NE will be terrible this year, maybe they will drop to the point where they are worth picking up (but somehow I doubt it).
Thanks for the thoughts

I'm not picking them...going with the bills later on

Thanks for the thoughts

I'm not picking them...going with the bills later on
Depending upon geography of individual leagues, the Bills may go before the Patriots will. Buffalo is getting a lot of hype. Based on current ADP at MFL, NE is DEF4 and BUF DEF5 (only 6 picks apart).

NE has spoken to Terrelle Pryor. Not sure who would be the more desperate one in that scenario. 
Pryor didn’t even play last year. Was stabbed and arrested for assault instead. Can’t imagine he makes opening day roster.

I am interested to see if they try trade for Njoku. 

Pats announced their plan to play in front of 20% capacity crowds (up to 13,175 fans) but that would need to be approved by the governor as that would exceed the current allowable limit for gatherings (which I believe is currently limited to 100 people).

Pats announced their plan to play in front of 20% capacity crowds (up to 13,175 fans) but that would need to be approved by the governor as that would exceed the current allowable limit for gatherings (which I believe is currently limited to 100 people).
So it all comes down to how much Kraft has kicked in to Baker and Polito.

Yikes. Pats with six opt-outs.

Hightower and Chung are tough ones.

Curious if they plug holes with new found cap dollars.

Others think Belichick might be conserving to roll money into next season to account for cap drop next season. 

Looks like Antonio wants back on the Pats. I doubt it happens since he had talked Kraft. 
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-is-antonio-brown-leveraging-patriots-opt-outs-penguins-problems-canadiens-lose/
AB trying to go back to the Pats has been suggested for the last month plus. I doubt it happens, as they ended up paying several million dollars last year and this year for one game of Brown. I doubt Kraft would want him back, but IMO unless Brown deducts all the money NE has already paid (essentially to not play football in NE) in the form of a  low dollar new contract, I don't see NE even considering it.

AB trying to go back to the Pats has been suggested for the last month plus. I doubt it happens, as they ended up paying several million dollars last year and this year for one game of Brown. I doubt Kraft would want him back, but IMO unless Brown deducts all the money NE has already paid (essentially to not play football in NE) in the form of a  low dollar new contract, I don't see NE even considering it.
Gotta believe the last thing you want is AB's influence on the youngsters as you try to rebuild this roster.

Delaney Walker to Pats? https://nesn.com/2020/08/nfl-rumors-patriots-interested-in-free-agent-tight-end-delanie-walker/

All Patriots coaches except Belichick: 35, doesn’t know system, coming off injury, better off Investing in oline

Belichick: I do what’s best for the football team

Kraft: I heard a lot of great things about you. Welcome to New England. Can’t wait to meet you. 
I saw this movie last year, except it was called BEN WATSON. It's like any other NE signing. It depends on the contract, the health of the player, and for tight ends . . . if he's willing to block.

BB / NE always tries to bring in some older vets. Some have worked out, some have not. Many don't even make the roster. We have no idea what shape Walker is in and how his recovery has gone. It's getting to be a little late in the game to expect that there are many unsigned free agents left that can make an impact. So why not roll the dice? Whomever they sign at this point better be for low dollars, or else Cam will not be a big fan.

I saw this movie last year, except it was called BEN WATSON. It's like any other NE signing. It depends on the contract, the health of the player, and for tight ends . . . if he's willing to block.

BB / NE always tries to bring in some older vets. Some have worked out, some have not. Many don't even make the roster. We have no idea what shape Walker is in and how his recovery has gone. It's getting to be a little late in the game to expect that there are many unsigned free agents left that can make an impact. So why not roll the dice? Whomever they sign at this point better be for low dollars, or else Cam will not be a big fan.
Cam money this year is absolutely insignificant given his career earnings. He is playing this year for that big deal he gets next year. It is likely he is a one year rental and he signs big bucks elsewhere. I doubt he will be thinking oh they should have given me more. I bet he says thanks for giving me a chance to show I can still start and lead a team when other teams didn’t(after signing a three year 30 million per year deal).

So Cam probably wants them to keep investing in oline. As he literally has another fortune riding on it. 

David Andrews announced he is playing, which is certainly a plus. He was one of the players I would have guessed would have taken the medical opt out (but I guess he didn't want to miss two seasons in a row).

David Andrews announced he is playing, which is certainly a plus. He was one of the players I would have guessed would have taken the medical opt out (but I guess he didn't want to miss two seasons in a row).
I’m concerned about the McCourtys. Devon refused question in press conference that included every problem in society. I think he is not happy and I’m doubting he plays. Seems very disgruntled.

When he first came to the Titans, BB was interested in him. He's a long way from being the TE that returned a kick for a TD but ...I didn't even know he did that til BB mentioned it many years ago.

He's barely shown signs of age in a freakish way but much like you're hinting at above and the Titans signing Cameron Wake last year, there's this impending doom for Delanie at his age. 

Much like Brady, Cam Newton loved the TE in CAR and there has to be fantasy intrigue here. 

Let's not pretend there's 32 TEs that get more than 500 yards receiving. It's a super weak position in the NFL, always has been, and that Delanie can produce gives him value.

He's played FB and TE and WR in the NFL and has always been very coachable. 

If he's slowish now and showing signs of age, he's still got that gift of putting defenders on his back to catch a contested ball. I think at worst he's old Ben Watson. At best, I think he's 500ish with some key third down chain moving catches

Walker has missed what, 24 games over the last two seasons? He once was a force . . . but who knows if he is fit to play. Has he passed a physical anywhere since his last injury? Has he been cleared to play? I haven’t really kept up on him. 

NE now up to $35.2 million in cap space for 2020. Will be fascinating to see what they do with it. Even with the cap at $175 million for 2021, they are currently $56 million under for next year. It would not shock me if BB only brings in some inexpensive pieces this year, rolls over a lot of the cap savings to next year, then watches teams cut tons of veteran players next year to get under the cap. And then NE becomes a destination team as one of the few franchises with money to spend. But that is a long way in the future. 

Anarchy99 said:
NE now up to $35.2 million in cap space for 2020. Will be fascinating to see what they do with it. Even with the cap at $175 million for 2021, they are currently $56 million under for next year. It would not shock me if BB only brings in some inexpensive pieces this year, rolls over a lot of the cap savings to next year, then watches teams cut tons of veteran players next year to get under the cap. And then NE becomes a destination team as one of the few franchises with money to spend. But that is a long way in the future. 
The article that explains why up to 35 million. https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2020/08/patriots-just-got-almost-10-million-in-cap-space-for-2020-because-of-a-covid-19-rule-change-heres-why.html

So hypothetically speaking, they could roll this all to next season if not signing anyone new, and have 91 million in cap space? 

The article that explains why up to 35 million. https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2020/08/patriots-just-got-almost-10-million-in-cap-space-for-2020-because-of-a-covid-19-rule-change-heres-why.html

So hypothetically speaking, they could roll this all to next season if not signing anyone new, and have 91 million in cap space? 
Theoretically, yes. But they end up having to take Cannon and Hightower back (when they otherwise would have gotten off their contracts if they wanted) in 2021. Also theoretically, they could release both of them (at least as far as I know . . . haven't seen anything that says players that opted out can't be released next year) . . . that would free up another $14 million next year. I would guess BB would get them to play for less next year or face being in the glut of purged vets on the market next off season.

If nothing else, NE got themselves the ability to have options to bring in some free agents or make trades (this year or next year). Earlier in the off season, that was not really a consideration.

Theoretically, yes. But they end up having to take Cannon and Hightower back (when they otherwise would have gotten off their contracts if they wanted) in 2021. Also theoretically, they could release both of them (at least as far as I know . . . haven't seen anything that says players that opted out can't be released next year) . . . that would free up another $14 million next year. I would guess BB would get them to play for less next year or face being in the glut of purged vets on the market next off season.

If nothing else, NE got themselves the ability to have options to bring in some free agents or make trades (this year or next year). Earlier in the off season, that was not really a consideration.
Article on five possibles this year... https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/03/sports/five-players-patriots-should-acquire-help-offset-opt-outs/

What about trading for disgruntled DE Ngakwae of jaxonville. That guy is a great pass rusher I believe. And trading for Njoku would be great. But looks like Njoku and Cleveland are back on same page of he’s staying in Cleveland. 

Article on five possibles this year... https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/03/sports/five-players-patriots-should-acquire-help-offset-opt-outs/

What about trading for disgruntled DE Ngakwae of jaxonville. That guy is a great pass rusher I believe. And trading for Njoku would be great. But looks like Njoku and Cleveland are back on same page of he’s staying in Cleveland. 
I mentioned Dotson as an OL option in another thread. I would say no on Ryan. If there is anything they have too much of, it's CBs. IMO, Reid is likely too expensive if they are plotting to save cap dollars for next year (IIRC, he played last year for close to $10M . . . one would guess he is not looking for a Cam Newton like deal) and may be bit of a distraction. And as you already pointed out, Njoku is probably not available. Ngakwae is a good player . . . but has almost an $18M salary for this year. BB hasn't really shown he is willing to pay that much for a defensive player that is not a CB.

Devin McCourty said he was opting in on the Curran podcast . . . sort of. He said he will definitely not be opting out before the opt out deadline. However, he also said if things aren't safe or he doesn't like what is happening then he will opt out then, whenever then is. He could care less about the ability to get the $150K loan. Basically, if he thinks it's safe he will play, and if not he won't. I wonder how many other established, veteran players (ie, that have already made millions) will go this route . . . and what the ramifications would be (do they have to retire and unretire? Do they have to give back signing bonus money? What happens to their contracts if they bail in the middle of a season? What about their cap hits for this and future seasons?).

Users who are viewing this thread