What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (4 Viewers)

Bertrand and Zo are saying there isn’t much to this rumor of keeping Thuney. They believe Pats botched keeping him when they decided not to give him a contract last year and franchised him. 
I don’t think botched is the right word. They weren’t going to pay him near what he wanted. So they tagged him. He’s good, but he’s not worth Top 5 offensive lineman money. 

I don’t think botched is the right word. They weren’t going to pay him near what he wanted. So they tagged him. He’s good, but he’s not worth Top 5 offensive lineman money. 
I think the fact Onwenu outperformed him as a rookie sixth rounder put things in perspective in terms of money deserved. Let Jets overpay him I guess. 

I have seen a lot of BS tweets about NE signing players or idiots making fake accounts for famous people. Will try to double and triple source things. 

Yeah, a lot of silly probably. But a good solid TE that can block and explode down the seam would work wonders for pulling safeties out of box to help power run game. 

They are going after D line now I bet. Resign Guy, or is he gone now?
They are in on Curtis Samuel. I have heard they are talking to Golladay (although that one seems sketchy). Pass rushers have been getting paid, so they might wait for cheaper options. 

Now if we can just land Marvin Jones or Curtis Samuel and call it a day....
Samuel, ok. But Jones will be an overpay. He’s going to get a huge deal. I doubt this is a realistic signing given his age and what Belichick is doing. He’s not investing heavy on long in the tooth types. But I could be wrong. 

Thats two guys that are 26 so far, nice to see guys brought in with some solid prime years in front of them  :thumbup:
Not that you need to change moniker, but Kraft manufacturing wasn’t cheese and macaroni. I believe he was a woods, pulp, paper manufacturer. 

3rd highest paid TE in the league and more guaranteed money than Kelce seems a bit excessive.
I think it might be a situation where he see ahead and not hindsight. If he built teams based on hindsight we’d all be still pissing in the horse troff at Sullivan stadium. He and his staff have been following players since their high school years. 

3rd highest paid TE in the league and more guaranteed money than Kelce seems a bit excessive.
Free agents reset the market all the time. If Kelce were a free agent, he'd get way more than Smith did. But he's not.

On a side note, Smith becomes the highest non-QB skilled position player in Patriots history with his $12.5M per year average.

I think the signing so far indicate Belichick making this team a glove for a new Drafted young QB. 
Well, before the free agency flurry of news, they were talking about this on the radio. It was unanimous that they felt they would go defense with their first pick (and they could even trade down). And they felt Cam would start all season (also unanimous). They felt they might look at QB options in the 2nd or 3rd round (say Trask as an example), but they felt they wouldn't burn a first on one. The only exception would be if one of the main guys was in a free fall, in which case they might trade back into the first round to take a guy that had fallen into the 25-30 range. But they seemed pretty resolute that Cam was going to be the starter all year (which didn't wow me).

https://twitter.com/patspulpit/status/1371505493391314948?s=19

On that note it looks like they are kicking the tires on upgrading the running back position 

And also that the rb market is pretty competitive right now
I doubt that Belichick would over pay for RB. He’s done very well at cultivating production at RBs with little money spent. He knows how draft those, ol, dL, and special teamers. He should spend free agent money on pass catchers because he’s not drafting those very well. 🙂

I think it might be a situation where he see ahead and not hindsight. If he built teams based on hindsight we’d all be still pissing in the horse troff at Sullivan stadium. He and his staff have been following players since their high school years. 
Obviously, but let's not act like they've been perfect as talent evaluators. When you pay way up for potential your margin of error decreases substantially- he needs to be really, really good just to justify that contract, and there's very little chance that it turns out to be a "bargain".

Free agents reset the market all the time. If Kelce were a free agent, he'd get way more than Smith did. But he's not.

On a side note, Smith becomes the highest non-QB skilled position player in Patriots history with his $12.5M per year average.
Kelce just signed his extension in August. Sure, he wasn't a FA, but KC lowered his near term cap hit with the deal so it's not like he had zero leverage. It's a lot of money for a guy who has been more potential than production so far.

https://twitter.com/patspulpit/status/1371505493391314948?s=19

On that note it looks like they are kicking the tires on upgrading the running back position 

And also that the rb market is pretty competitive right now
RB is a sneaky need for them...Harris and Michel are somewhat similar and Michel is probably on his last year here...It is time to move on from Burkhead, I like him but he can not stay on the field...White is a FA and may move on and no one really knows how they feel about JJ Taylor...I can’t click thru on this link but the guy I would like them to go after is Jamaal Williams, he a well rounded back and you can probably get him at an affordable price.

They are stretching it today. Terrible that they try hard to rock the fan base without any amo. Imagine this will be a terrible show for them. Haha. Mazz struggling to find negative fuel to fire the furnace. They will fall back on no plan on qb. Knuckle heads. 

From this article it looks like Kelce's deal was a very team friendly deal.   Looks like he restructured to help the team out.  From the article:

The Chiefs have maximum salary cap flexible because of how Kelce's contract is structured. Should Kelce's skills rapidly start to diminish, Kansas City can exit the deal as early as 2022 without any salary cap consequences.

Kelce didn't get enough money in his existing contract years or security to give up four years. The Chiefs essentially have four team options with Kelce starting in 2022, his first new contract year.

One can only assume that Kelce really wants to be in KC and that the $$ wasn't his first priority.

Per just about anyone that has covered the Pats now or in the past, NE said to be deep into talks with edge rusher Matt Judon.

Former Ravens’ LB Matt Judon reached agreement on a four-year, $56 million deal, including $32 million guaranteed with the New England Patriots, per sources.

And the beat goes on . . .

Former Eagles DB Jalen Mills to the Patriots on a 4-year, $24 million deal including $9M guaranteed,

@DrewJRosenhaus

tells ESPN.

Users who are viewing this thread