What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

LINK

Fears is a great interview. But the bolded part is potentially concerning. It makes you wonder how much could change from one year to the next. Odd that White is listed as the #1 and Harris as #2.
Hopefully the fact he made the roster means a lot has changed as he potentially brings a different dynamic to this backfield and with White probably nearing the end I would love to see this kid take that role over next year…gonna be fascinating to see how this backfield shakes out over the course of the year.

I loved the James White revival ideas but JJ had me a little hesitant on White for that reason. BTW, Ivan Fears -MVP of preseason interviews. 

I also feel like Rhaomdre, league winner is not the most far fetched idea, however one can never guarantee he'll plug in his cell phone charger correctly. So don't get too excited.

Only 15% of the country will see Mac versus Tua. Baker vs Mahomes for 85%. Harlan is great!

>>CBS sending KC-Cleveland to 85 percent of country in late afternoon window Sunday and Dolphins-Patriots (Harlan/Trent Green) to 15 percent. Will tweet out maps when the good folks at 506 Sports post them tomorrow. CBS and Fox both get doubleheaders in Week 1 and Week 18.<<

https://mobile.twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1435399623905062917
I pretty much watch RedZone exclusively now, even when my team is showing in local market.

After a lot of thought and research, here are my projections for NE this year. Looking at the early Brady years, the offense wasn't that great and they won on the strength of their defense and timely scoring when they needed it. The first three seasons with Brady as a starter, the offense accounted for 36, 37, and 32 TD . . . a far cry from the undefeated 2007 team that scored 67 TD.

As a basis for comparison, the 2020 team scored 32 TD offensively and averaged 327 yards of offense per game (ranked 27th). I have the 2021 team scoring 41 TD offensively (playing an extra game) and averaging 374 yards of offense per game (that would have ranked 12th last year).

Making projections for this team was like throwing darts at a dart board. At a moving target. In the dark. There are so many changes and moving pieces compared to last year that it's really a best guess. Their new offensive weapons (Agholor-Hunter-Smith) barely set foot on the field in camp, so how they will fit in with Meyers and White in the receiving game is a mystery.

I know the media narrative is that they will run extensively and limit what Jones has to do, but IMO Jones looks like he has a better grasp and understanding of the offense did when Brady first started. Another thing I have been seeing is that a couple of people have indicated that Agholor is the key to the offense, as when he is in the game he will stretch the field and clear out space underneath and intermediately for other guys to get open. If Jones can connect with Agholor a few times in the earlier games that would help the entire offense all season.

Any hoo . . .

Team Rushing Totals: 500-2175-16 (4.35 ypc)
Team Passing Totals: 395-600-4195-25-15  (7 ypa)
1100 total plays, 6370 yards, 41 TD

Jones 370-545-3925-23-12 | 30-15-1
Hoyer 12-20-150-1-1 | 0-0-0
Stidham 10-20-120-1-2 | 0-0-0

Harris 225-1060-6 | 20 targets-12-65-0
Stevenson 125-550-4 | 15-10-80-1
White 45-170-2 | 75-60-500-3
Taylor 40-200-1 | 10-6-50-0
Bolden 15-60-1 | 5-5-50-0
Johnson 5-20-0 | 5-2-10-0

Meyers 2-8-0 | 110-80-900-4
Agholor 2-12-0 | 85-45-600-5
Bourne 0-0-0 | 50-30-300-1
Harry 1-10-0 | 25-15-220-2
Gunner 5-25-0 | 10-5-50-0

Smith 5-45-1 | 90-60-700-6
Henry 0-0-0 | 75-50-500-3
Asiasi 0-0-0 | 15-10-120-0

Other WR and TE: 0-0-0 | 10-5-50-0

I have Hunter either missing a few games or playing injured, so that would explain the seemingly lower numbers for him.

Pretty pathetic showing at home Vs the Fish. defense couldn't stop anything the Fish were doing. 

offense couldn't do anything right.

have fun with your 9-8 , 8-9 season, NE. and no, M. jones didn't look otherworldly. he looked worse than that dope biden reading scripts all the time. dink-n-dunk 7 yard passes. but who is he throwing to ? no one. bunch of truck drivers at WR/TE. it's only gonna get worse , all y'all Pats fans had this as a blowout sure fire NE win. what happened!!?  instead, you got the snot beat out of you.get used to it, it's only game 1. gonna be a looong season 

Pretty pathetic showing at home Vs the Fish. defense couldn't stop anything the Fish were doing. 

offense couldn't do anything right.

have fun with your 9-8 , 8-9 season, NE. and no, M. jones didn't look otherworldly. he looked worse than that dope biden reading scripts all the time. dink-n-dunk 7 yard passes. but who is he throwing to ? no one. bunch of truck drivers at WR/TE. it's only gonna get worse , all y'all Pats fans had this as a blowout sure fire NE win. what happened!!?  instead, you got the snot beat out of you.get used to it, it's only game 1. gonna be a looong season 
and you obviously didn't watch the game... Or you're fishing  :thumbdown:

Pats defense did their job with the exception of the opening drive of each half.. The defense gave up 17 points... this loss wasn't on them.

Had you watched, you would have seen the offense moving the ball well. Very Patriots like attack, death by paper cuts and big chunks of yards running the ball.

Turnovers cost them the game ...the last one inside the 10 yard line as they were attempting to kill clock before kicking a fg for the win. (or a TD)

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, I'm having a hard time getting a read on this team due to lack of competition. Jets rookie gifts the Pats offense the ball 4 extra times and they managed just 23 points.

Defense looked solid but that could be a result of horrible QB play by the other team.

Coaching seems to be holding Jones back some which is to be expected. If their winning, no reason for him to take chances.

The other reason he's not going deep, no one is talking about, ...his O-line is sucking. He barely has time for a quick screen pass never mind waiting for a WR to come open 20 yards down field.

The loss of Trent Brown seems to be a bigger issue than expected.

I predict we'll see a different Mac Jones when Brown is back healthy.

That said, I'm having a hard time getting a read on this team due to lack of competition. Jets rookie gifts the Pats offense the ball 4 extra times and they managed just 23 points.

Defense looked solid but that could be a result of horrible QB play by the other team.

Coaching seems to be holding Jones back some which is to be expected. If their winning, no reason for him to take chances.

The other reason he's not going deep, no one is talking about, ...his O-line is sucking. He barely has time for a quick screen pass never mind waiting for a WR to come open 20 yards down field.

The loss of Trent Brown seems to be a bigger issue than expected.

I predict we'll see a different Mac Jones when Brown is back healthy.

Agree about the O line...going into the season I think many expected that to be the strength of the team and right now it is average...the Brown injury is an issue and I still feel like we really don't know what we have with Wynn but ultimately I get nervous without Dante around as he has always been the one constant with that unit when it was humming.

This Phil Perry podcast with analysis by JT O’Sullivan was informative. They give examples of certain plays using film to show that in a lot of instances Mac was making the right plays even though they were short passes. It seems the media as a whole wants to say why didn’t Mac throw downfield all day, and this guy is saying it wasn’t there in most instances and he would have been forcing it downfield which is dangerous. https://youtu.be/dziAHenXw58

This Phil Perry podcast with analysis by JT O’Sullivan was informative. They give examples of certain plays using film to show that in a lot of instances Mac was making the right plays even though they were short passes. It seems the media as a whole wants to say why didn’t Mac throw downfield all day, and this guy is saying it wasn’t there in most instances and he would have been forcing it downfield which is dangerous. https://youtu.be/dziAHenXw58

Many in the media really look foolish when discussing Jones...he has started two games and some want him to play like he is a 5 year veteran...he is being developed correctly and due to this the Pats won't have to worry about the QB position for the next 12-15 years.

In game 1, Mac nickled and dimed Miami all day with accurate quick passes even when he was about to be hit. I think it was 9 hits, some of them were hard. He made a perfect ~30 yard pass over the middle of the field to a WR which was tipped away at the last second on a great play by Jason McCourty. The pass on 3rd and 11 on a wheel route to White traveled about 30 air yards and was perfectly thrown. Mac and Josh is a perfect match.  Is Josh waiting for Bill to retire?

https://twitter.com/Patriots/status/1437181657388355589?s=19

Are you still bullish on the Patriot defense? I dropped Denver for the NE defense for this week (Texans) and beyond. Both teams play Dallas so that's a wash. 
Depends on the scoring system, but I thought they would have been really good with Gilmore. They haven’t allowed many points and most games have not allowed a ton of yardage. My leagues have negative defensive scoring for poor play, so they are still a decent option. Thought they would have had more sacks by now. Turnovers are a bit hard to predict. I think they will still be fantasy startable most weeks but probably not the stalwart I thought they might be. 

Any idea WHY? I clearly haven't been following this story because it's a bit of a shock.

Attitude? Injury? Cost savings?
SG apparently wants top of the market money. Since NE took money from this year to pay him more last year, Gilmore only getting $7M for this year. He is said to want $18-20M. NE apparently didn’t want to extend him for anything close to that. Word on the street is they may try to get a late round draft for him by the end of the day. They also had only $50K in cap space and want to sign Jamie Collins. 

4 of the 5 members of the Patriots starting OL not practicing today (Brown, Mason, Onwenu, and Wynn). Not good news.

What is wrong with Mason?
Patriots placed DL Henry Anderson on injured reserve.

Injury report:

DNP - Brown (calf), Mason (abdomen), Van Noy (groin)
Limited - Bentley (shoulder), Davis (knee), Dugger (hamstring), Folk (knee), JJones (ankle), Mills (hamstring), Perkins (ankle)

Patriots added DB Shaun Wade (concussion) to the injury report. Four OL still didn’t practice again (Wynn, Onwenu, Mason, Brown).

Limited:
LB Bentley, Shoulder
DB Davis, Knee
S Dugger, Hamstring
K Folk, Left Knee
CB Jones, Ankle
DB Mills, Hamstring
LB Perkins, Ankle

Patriots added DB Shaun Wade (concussion) to the injury report. Four OL still didn’t practice again (Wynn, Onwenu, Mason, Brown).

Limited:
LB Bentley, Shoulder
DB Davis, Knee
S Dugger, Hamstring
K Folk, Left Knee
CB Jones, Ankle
DB Mills, Hamstring
LB Perkins, Ankle
 Where's John Hannah?

Dating myself.

Limited:
LB Bentley, Shoulder
DB Davis, Knee
S Dugger, Hamstring
K Folk, Left Knee
CB Jones, Ankle
DB Mills, Hamstring
LB Perkins, Ankle
This could be a recovery week playing the Texans.  They're the defense of the week, hopefully they come through.

Lazar is mentioning he expects one of two covid list OL guys to come back. One was mentioned to be vaccinated and he expects him to be back(Wynn or Onwenu). One tested positive and the other was not positive but a close contact. 

I know it's Houston this week, but is the NE D worth holding on to moving forward?  I thought they had a nice schedule, but te injuries on O and D have me a little concerned.

I know it's Houston this week, but is the NE D worth holding on to moving forward?  I thought they had a nice schedule, but te injuries on O and D have me a little concerned.
I will still play them this week. If you don’t want I can understand because they’ve not scored well except the one game against Jets when Wilson was off. It depends on what is on your wire. The only one on mine I would consider as a decent start would be the Jets. For some reason several people are rostering two defenses. So there isn’t much on my wire that looks better. 

Super Bowl? AFC is all over the place and there's a coaching staff that knows how to get to the Super Bowl.

11-6, 10-7? Might have to go thru the Wildcard but Buffalo isn't bulletproof right now. Not a lot of teams are showcasing their ability to get to the Super Bowl and the AFC #1-Tennessee Titans are without Henry for the foreseeable future. 

Super Bowl? AFC is all over the place and there's a coaching staff that knows how to get to the Super Bowl.

11-6, 10-7? Might have to go thru the Wildcard but Buffalo isn't bulletproof right now. Not a lot of teams are showcasing their ability to get to the Super Bowl and the AFC #1-Tennessee Titans are without Henry for the foreseeable future. 

They are turning into the team no one wants to play, kind of reminds me of the 2001 team...two areas they need to improve upon are turnovers and penalties...when they play good teams they won't have the firepower to get into shootouts so they need to make sure the fundamentals are there because these games will be close ones...I am extremely pleased with how this season is progressing and they have a very good opportunity to make the playoffs which would be a big step in the right direction for the post-Brady era...anything after making the playoffs is a bonus.

They are turning into the team no one wants to play, kind of reminds me of the 2001 team...two areas they need to improve upon are turnovers and penalties...when they play good teams they won't have the firepower to get into shootouts so they need to make sure the fundamentals are there because these games will be close ones...I am extremely pleased with how this season is progressing and they have a very good opportunity to make the playoffs which would be a big step in the right direction for the post-Brady era...anything after making the playoffs is a bonus.
Bingo!

And imagine after Brady wins the Super Bowl last year, BB somehow navigates and can you imagine if the Bucs repeat their trip to the Super Bowl and meet New England? Can we just imagine that for 1 second?

Something to think about but I do think Cleveland is going to clock them this weekend and happy to take the points in that game. Should be a fun game with a lot of hype for those that want to watch more than just the top showcase teams. These two are lunch pail types, should be a great game. But I think Cleveland cut a cancer out and are finding themselves. Winner of this game will have HUGE momentum for the stretch run coming up.

7 teams make it as well so plenty of room.  

Bingo!

And imagine after Brady wins the Super Bowl last year, BB somehow navigates and can you imagine if the Bucs repeat their trip to the Super Bowl and meet New England? Can we just imagine that for 1 second?

Something to think about but I do think Cleveland is going to clock them this weekend and happy to take the points in that game. Should be a fun game with a lot of hype for those that want to watch more than just the top showcase teams. These two are lunch pail types, should be a great game. But I think Cleveland cut a cancer out and are finding themselves. Winner of this game will have HUGE momentum for the stretch run coming up.

Will all come down To Mayfield this weekend…gotta believe BB zeroes in on Chubb and forces Mayfield to beat them…if the Pats play like they have the last two weeks I like them but I am still another week or two from being  totally confident in them being consistent…another x-factor is Stevenson and Harris…they both got dinged up late in the game yesterday…if both are out that is a big loss, as long as one is healthy they can figure it out.

Anyone else having a problem with McDaniels playcalling?

Yesterday I specifically remember, 1st half, still anyone's game,  Pats get the ball, run for 5 on 1st down, ... 2nd down run for 5 to move the chains...

Then 3 straight incomplete passing plays, punt.

... and this isn't the first time McDaniels abandoned the run ...when the defense couldn't stop the run.

So frustrating.

Trying to understand why he goes away from what's working.... gotta keep the defense honest? Keep the safeties out of the box? Do what the defense isn't expecting?

If they could just stick to what's working I think they could be putting up many more points.

Bingo!

NE is 4-0 on the road and 1-4 at home. One would think at some point that has to start flipping. Cleveland is a bit Jekyll and Hyde on offense. Scored 40+ against LAC and CIN . . . but 17 or less against MIN, ARI, DEN, and PIT. The NE DEF is in the same bandwidth as those teams, and if CLE doesn't score 20+ they will be unlikely to win. After a slow start, NE has scored 24+ their past 5 games.

Anyone else having a problem with McDaniels playcalling?

Yesterday I specifically remember, 1st half, still anyone's game,  Pats get the ball, run for 5 on 1st down, ... 2nd down run for 5 to move the chains...

Then 3 straight incomplete passing plays, punt.

... and this isn't the first time McDaniels abandoned the run ...when the defense couldn't stop the run.

So frustrating.

Trying to understand why he goes away from what's working.... gotta keep the defense honest? Keep the safeties out of the box? Do what the defense isn't expecting?

If they could just stick to what's working I think they could be putting up many more points.
The problem generally is, if you stick with what's working too long, defenses will adjust and it won't keep working/ There are very few teams that can keep rolling out the same few plays multiple times and just blow opponents away with no variation.

I do find it odd that on the day NE had their highest rushing total that you felt they went away from the run. They had 39 rushing attempts (compared to 18 passing attempts). IMO, they probably were too run-centric. Mac needs more game day action in making reads, identifying blitzes and coverage, and getting used to live fire. It's great that they won without him having to air it out . . . but there will be games where they do need him to pass to win. Once they were ahead by a couple of scores, I would have added in a few more passes than they did. They did have one series where they tried to pass more, but Jones got rid off the ball so early on a few passes that the plays had no chance of succeeding.

Bingo!

Pats homers can and have imagined this already, as the vindication of Belichick and "the patriot way".  

But its almost too much to wish for.

We're on to Cleveland, metaphorically speaking.

The problem generally is, if you stick with what's working too long, defenses will adjust and it won't keep working/ There are very few teams that can keep rolling out the same few plays multiple times and just blow opponents away with no variation.

I do find it odd that on the day NE had their highest rushing total that you felt they went away from the run. They had 39 rushing attempts (compared to 18 passing attempts). IMO, they probably were too run-centric. Mac needs more game day action in making reads, identifying blitzes and coverage, and getting used to live fire. It's great that they won without him having to air it out . . . but there will be games where they do need him to pass to win. Once they were ahead by a couple of scores, I would have added in a few more passes than they did. They did have one series where they tried to pass more, but Jones got rid off the ball so early on a few passes that the plays had no chance of succeeding.
I think Jones will have no problem airing it out... as soon as the figure out the Isaiah Wynn issues.

Until then .... Run the damn ball

Users who are viewing this thread