What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (7 Viewers)

Saw a lot of good things tonight. Lewis was very surprising how well he ran out of the backfield. Sheard looked pretty good off the line. Easley got good penetration, I've been looking everywhere and have heard nothing about his injury. Edelman and Dola looked great, Edelman continuing his freakish hustle. Butler was streaky but showed a lot of good stuff.

The goal line jumbo package is LEGIT, ran it twice, once to Chandler for a TD, once to Gronk for a TD.

The interior line play looked really good considering they are all rookies.

So what kind of grade would you give butler after last night? He made some plays, he gave up some plays, he had a couple plays he defended well but the receiver just made great catches. He drew coverage in arguably the best receiver in the league in his first real start, and b while he let up big numbers, I thought he played competently. Am I alone here?

In looking at the league schedule, MIA could realistically start the season 6-0. They start @WAS, @JAC, BUF, NYJ, Bye, @TEN, HOU.

But then the rest of their schedule is way more difficult: @NE, @BUF, @PHI, DAL, @NYJ, BAL, NYG, @SD, IND, NE.

They will be a team to watch, but what do people think they will go over their last 10 games? 3-7? Better? Worse?

So what kind of grade would you give butler after last night? He made some plays, he gave up some plays, he had a couple plays he defended well but the receiver just made great catches. He drew coverage in arguably the best receiver in the league in his first real start, and b while he let up big numbers, I thought he played competently. Am I alone here?
Will watch later. -ownloading day an -orrent tay right now.

Butler played well enough, like so many, he needs to turn around, make a play on the ball. It was impressive how he was able to keep up with Brown on most plays. Chung in coverage, ughh! Not good. Solder partied too much with the new contract, sometimes looks dreadfully slow. Andrews and Mason looked good on the o-line. Dion Lewis a bright spot but please don't fumble. He was holding the ball too loose. The game could've easily been down to the wire but didn't turn out that way, Steelers looked demoralized in the 3rd quarter, no wonder when Brady is completing 16 or whatever in a row. A big win to start the season. Now Brady will humble the Bills D for around 340/4.

Dominique Easily's injury was a hip pointer according to Rapoport - could miss a week or two. EXHALE

The NFL released a second statement saying that the Patriots were in no way involved in the headset malfunctions, now we can stop talking about that bull####.

Locker room post game

PFT has a post collecting quotes from like 6 head coaches saying that this happens everywhere, with the headphones. Shockingly, a non-story, unless you're interested in stories about Tomlin whining.

Brady was in mid-season form...Gronk is the most unstoppable player in the NFL...looks like we may have one of those defenses where even if they don't give up many points they are not too fun to watch...was not happy with the pass rush...Chandler Jones needs to be more consistent applying pressure to the QB...Hightower has become the stud he was at Alabama...I like what I saw with Malcolm Butler but would be far more comfortable if he was their #2 this year...the Browner release is still the most perplexing move of the offseason...impressive performance by Andrews...how this kid went undrafted with his resume makes no sense...Edelman looks like he may go to another level this year...Lewis looks like he's going to help this year...will be interesting to see who dresses at RB this week with Blount back...

Butler was out on an island against perhaps the best WR in the game. I thought he was better than the stats would indicate. Plenty of things to build on and the extra days should help as they prepare for Week 2 against Buffalo.

Love everything about the drive for five. Embrace the hate.

Probably a lot of "week one over reaction theater" you could take from that game. That's a strong offense and a weak defense in PIT. Pats will see almost the opposite next week. We will continue to learn.

But, I'll say it. I miss that big beautiful fireplug we used to have in the middle of the D line.

Edelman though. What a guy. You can see him setting himself up, positioning his body for his first move after catch as the ball gets there. Yet he doesn't lose the ball. What an asset.

Amendola had at least one nice punt return. Nothing splashy, but worked for and snuck out an extra six or so yards. Those will help. Hints at the bigger ones coming.

Also funny how conversational some of Brady's signals were: "Fifty three's the mike, Jules." Just chattin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking at the league schedule, MIA could realistically start the season 6-0. They start @WAS, @JAC, BUF, NYJ, Bye, @TEN, HOU.

But then the rest of their schedule is way more difficult: @NE, @BUF, @PHI, DAL, @NYJ, BAL, NYG, @SD, IND, NE.

They will be a team to watch, but what do people think they will go over their last 10 games? 3-7? Better? Worse?
One of my little theories is that the best mind from that Green Bay championship run is now in MIA. Another is that DAL will regress. And that IND makes hay off weak sisters. I'll go over three, but that's a good line.

ETA: It's not like MIA is out of their league against any of those teams, really. They've moved up a tier in my book. They're mostly why I worry that the Pats will not have the breathing room they've had in other years while they patch together their new D.

Since being forced to play with legally inflated footballs last postseason, Brady has thrown 10 TD passes in 10 quarters. Imagine how he would have done if he used legal footballs his whole career.

Easley 1-2 weeks with a hip pointer, I believe Blount is back (only 1 game sus.), on to Buffalo. Interesting matchup but we'll see who punches who in the mouth- and how they react. Can Taylor air it out when he's down 14 and the Pats are moving the ball at will? We'll see.

Easley 1-2 weeks with a hip pointer, I believe Blount is back (only 1 game sus.), on to Buffalo. Interesting matchup but we'll see who punches who in the mouth- and how they react. Can Taylor air it out when he's down 14 and the Pats are moving the ball at will? We'll see.
Lulz.... The Bills just shut down Luck without their best defensive player on the field. At will.... Cute.

The Colts had one starter on their defensive line who had actually started a game before, and only 12 games at that.

The Colts might have one of the worst defenses in the league...

Lulz.... The Bills just shut down Luck without their best defensive player on the field. At will.... Cute.
Colts infinitely softer than the Pats and not that great a road team. They were +73 in scoring differential at home last year and -38 scoring differential on the road. They did little to address their defense and both of their lines in the off season, which were issues the past few seasons.

Will be interesting which AFC East teams can win their away games.

Rex typically puts together a really good defensive game plan against the Pats and has probably his most talented defensive team in at least a few years. Add to that a crazy home crowd and I will be surprised if the Pats put up a lot of points. I'd love to see it but I have my doubts.

Rex typically puts together a really good defensive game plan against the Pats and has probably his most talented defensive team in at least a few years. Add to that a crazy home crowd and I will be surprised if the Pats put up a lot of points. I'd love to see it but I have my doubts.
But we have a GRONK! ;)

I tend to agree, I have my concerns about this one, on both sides of the ball. Very young interior line is one area to watch, and probably the biggest key to any offensive success this week.

How well the front 7 contain Tyrod Taylor is my main concern on the other side of the ball. I recall the futility of the DLine chasing Joe Webb this preseason, and historically we seem to have trouble getting off the field on 3rd down against mobile QBs.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 9m9 minutes ago

The Patriots have waived rookie WR Chris Harper today. Made team as undrafted player out of Cal. Played in opener.

Huh? Making room? Huh? ######ed like a fox!

eta(aww. I should get a profanity exemption for that joke. (which I stole from Dana Gould))

Well, Pryor off to try out with the Jets and roster spot goes to LB special teamer.

Just have to keep looking for a smart guy who can run and catch.

ETA: We're on to Buffalo. I predict multiple picks. If anybody can make a QB pay for being a rookie, it's Bill. Probably Brady takes a few lumps. They likely lay the wood on Edelman too. Should be a great, physical game. Great early test.

Will be an interesting game for sure. All the chatter about the Bills defense being the best in the league doesn't really do much for me considering what the Pats did to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. I'm predicting it'll be somewhat of a close win, but also wouldn't be surprised if they lost by 3 due to the Rex factor. Outside of McCoy and Watkins that Buffalo offense is pretty abysmal, I can see the Pats defense shutting down the run and forcing Taylor to air it out.

The Bills D is certainly very good, but I am not fully sold yet. IIRC, Luck is now 7-13 on the road against non division opponents. I know BUF has some new folks on offense, but who is new on defense?

Ryan Wendell not playing Sunday
Gonna be a tough matchup for the interior line against the Buffalo D line, especially those massive DTs. I'm not terribly confident this week.

Rex, hostile crowd, Bill's D strengths match up on Pats (perceived) weakness. I expect this to be one of their toughest tests this year.

Easley will not play week 2, but since he returned to practice this week I think its safe to say he will be okay week 3.

That being said, they play Jacksonville week 3 and have a bye on week 4, they might hold him out.

Seems like people are forgetting that Brady went 27/37 with 361 yards and 4 TDs IN Buffalo last season in mid October with a worse offensive line. It won't be any louder there than it was last season. Pats roll 34-14 and shut up the fans at the Ralph by halftime.

Seems like people are forgetting that Brady went 27/37 with 361 yards and 4 TDs IN Buffalo last season in mid October with a worse offensive line. It won't be any louder there than it was last season. Pats roll 34-14 and shut up the fans at the Ralph by halftime.
Rex wasn't at the helm last year. Big difference.

This game is so much more important to bills fans than patriots fans. I don't hate the bills. I kind of like them. I like Rex, I like shady, I like their defense, and I like young mobile qbs with moxie. I went to buffalo for Bledsoe's first game as a bill, and it was fun watching them beat another afc east opponent. I went there again for a frigid winter game that was as cold as any game I've seen at Foxboro.

It's hard to really hate them. They've been as mediocre as any team in NFL history. Even their greatest accomplishment is a historic example of losing. They have a couple hall of fame players, but none of them are remotely in the best of all time discussion. They were in danger of winning a playoff game so they benched flutie for rob Johnson.

Their most famous plays are called wide right and the music city miracle. Their only real criminal is a murderer who got laughed at in the naked gun movies and got cheated on before stealing his own sports memorabilia.

And once again, their fans are excited about some new savior, a new rob Johnson, or ej Manuel, or whatever they think this guy can be. He leads the team to fewer than 150 yards and a touchdown and they're legitimately excited because they haven't seem anything this good in years.

And they imported another lovable loser, whose losing record as head coach, failed quarterback tattoo and failed lap band surgery do nothing but endear him to Canada's second favourite team.

The buffalo fans are plenty obnoxious during the deflate gate stuff, but who could blame them. They have a worse inferiority complex than even the 2003 red Sox fan base. Their own state has two teams in every sport that have won more titles than they have. They couldn't say anything about hernandez because their best player in team history so famously murdered someone that ford had to stop making broncos.

And now they start a season with a win over a good team for the first time since the Milloy game, and you can see Lucy holding the football but this sad bunch of Charlie browns just don't get that it's happening again. They even got somebody from Guinness to fly out and watch them not set the crowd noise record in classic buffalo fashion. It's comedy in tragedy.

So I say go buffalo. Do you, the way nobody else can.

This game is so much more important to bills fans than patriots fans. I don't hate the bills. I kind of like them. I like Rex, I like shady, I like their defense, and I like young mobile qbs with moxie. I went to buffalo for Bledsoe's first game as a bill, and it was fun watching them beat another afc east opponent. I went there again for a frigid winter game that was as cold as any game I've seen at Foxboro.

It's hard to really hate them. They've been as mediocre as any team in NFL history. Even their greatest accomplishment is a historic example of losing. They have a couple hall of fame players, but none of them are remotely in the best of all time discussion. They were in danger of winning a playoff game so they benched flutie for rob Johnson.

Their most famous plays are called wide right and the music city miracle. Their only real criminal is a murderer who got laughed at in the naked gun movies and got cheated on before stealing his own sports memorabilia.

And once again, their fans are excited about some new savior, a new rob Johnson, or ej Manuel, or whatever they think this guy can be. He leads the team to fewer than 150 yards and a touchdown and they're legitimately excited because they haven't seem anything this good in years.

And they imported another lovable loser, whose losing record as head coach, failed quarterback tattoo and failed lap band surgery do nothing but endear him to Canada's second favourite team.

The buffalo fans are plenty obnoxious during the deflate gate stuff, but who could blame them. They have a worse inferiority complex than even the 2003 red Sox fan base. Their own state has two teams in every sport that have won more titles than they have. They couldn't say anything about hernandez because their best player in team history so famously murdered someone that ford had to stop making broncos.

And now they start a season with a win over a good team for the first time since the Milloy game, and you can see Lucy holding the football but this sad bunch of Charlie browns just don't get that it's happening again. They even got somebody from Guinness to fly out and watch them not set the crowd noise record in classic buffalo fashion. It's comedy in tragedy.

:yucky: That is what I think about your post and Patriot fans in general.

:yucky: That is what I think about your post and Patriot fans in general.
Noted. Enjoy the game.

In case anyone missed it Dola with the catch of the year so far.

Team looked great in all aspects, got a little sloppy at points. Front seven came up big, 8 sacks, 3 forced fumbles. Three different DBs came up with picks, Butler off a ridiculous tipped ball.

Brady, Edelman, Gronk and Lewis on record shattering paces.

What impressed me about yesterday were a few things:

- All those young guys in the middle of the line holding up against a Rex Ryan scheme. I expected Rex to find a way to exploit the inexperience of the Pats middle 3. That, plus Brady being primarily a pocket passer who would be affected more by pressure up the gut vs. from the edges and I figured this was a matchup right up Rex's alley. The Pats OL held up exceptionally well.

- Kind of building on the above...putting the game squarely in Brady's hands with ~60 pass attempts when Rex's defenses have a history of giving Brady trouble (relatively speaking vs. the rest of the league) was not what I expected. Rex treats the D side of the game like a chess match and I figured the Pats would try to counter with a heavy dose of runs + play-action passes to keep the guessing game going on both sides. To openly show your cards like the Pats did with their passing game against a Rex D and thrive was not something I expected...

...or maybe I should? The Brady / Gronk / (Edelman/Welker) / (Lewis/Vereen/Woodhead) offense has really looked awesome, especially since Josh McD found his groove with it upon his return. That 3 game postseason run last year was the best of any of the title teams on the offensive side of the ball. Gronk in particular makes it run at a whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread