What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question about driving in the "fast lane" (1 Viewer)

What is the correct speed to drive in the left lane on the freeway?

• Less than 65 MPH

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 65-69 MPH

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 70-74 MPH

Votes: 38 20.5%
  • 75-79 MPH

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • 80+ MPH

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • None of the above (explain in comments)

Votes: 74 40.0%

• Total voters
The left lane is for passing. There is no consistent speed fpr that lane, because it should not be driven in consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's too much traffic for you to get your ### over into the right lane when you're not passing, then I'd say probably 75-79. (However it depends on how fast everyone else is going and how heavily patrolled the road is)

However if there isn't, then you should only be in the left lane when you're passing.

If it is a four lane freeway, you should be doing at least 80 if traveling in the lane with no intent of moving over... If you are coming into the lane to pass, you should also be doing 80 as to not slow the flow of drivers going fast.

The left lane is for passing. There is no consistent speed fpr that lane, because it should not be driven in consistently.
Absolutely correct. There is a really easy way to check if you should be in the leftmost lane. Check your rearview. Is there a car right behind you? If so you should not be in the left lane.

It's a passing lane. If I'm going 75 in the second-to-the-left lane and I encounter a car going 70 in front of me, I will use the left lane to pass and then go back to the previous lane. If I'm passing multiple cars in the leftmost lane going 75 mph and another car going 80 is coming up behind me, I will either find a place to move over to the right or try to speed up to that cars speed until I can move over.

On average however, I think 10 over the speed limit is reasonable.

Let's say that it is a two-lane interstate. Do you honestly believe that the rules of the road dictate that the two-lane interstate should be essentially be reduced to a one-lane interstate, except when passing? That just makes no sense to me and seems counterproductive to encouraging smooth traffic flow.

Let's say that it is a two-lane interstate. Do you honestly believe that the rules of the road dictate that the two-lane interstate should be essentially be reduced to a one-lane interstate, except when passing? That just makes no sense to me and seems counterproductive to encouraging smooth traffic flow.
See my follow-up post.

The hypothetical given was a four lane highway...

If it is two lanes only and you are doing anything less than 10 mph over the speed limit in the passing lane, then there is a special place in hell reserved for you.

If you are traveling in the left hand lane, at any speed, with no intent of pulling over you should not be allowed to drive or procreate.

yes, if done properly will increase traffic flow

The hypothetical given was a four lane highway...

If it is two lanes only and you are doing anything less than 10 mph over the speed limit in the passing lane, then there is a special place in hell reserved for you.
Hell is going to be full. Most of the time when driving in the South I have to use the right lane as my passing lane because of all the idiots camped out in the left lane that think as long as they are going over the speed limit at all, it belongs to them.

:goodposting:

Exactly.

If you get passed on the right, ever, you're going too slow. In any lane.

If you're in the left-most lane, you should be going faster than all other traffic. If anyone's coming up behind you, move over before they catch up.

In my ideal world, other drivers would be ticketed for being passed on the right side in normal traffic flow. Such a system could clear up most of the traffic problems in LA.

Ten over the speed limit in the passing lane is too slow, no matter where you are, never mind 95 or 5. That is going to create a hazard pretty quickly.

No offense to the OP but I don't drive anywhere in South Florida where the left lane is not being hugged at about the speed limit to maybe 5 over, you have to zig zag back and forth between lanes to get anywhere. You can spout all this perfect answer stuff but out in the real world down here you are whistling Dixie my friend.

Someone tell em I'm wrong. I also do not remember SoCal being anything close to ideal either.

And yet it seems to work so well in Europe.

Exactly.

If you're in the left-most lane, you should be going faster than all other traffic. If anyone's coming up behind you, move over before they catch up.

In my ideal world, other drivers would be ticketed for being passed on the right side in normal traffic flow. Such a system could clear up most of the traffic problems in LA.
I think you can be ticketed for not passing in the left?

66 mph. If you are coming up behind me, I'm speeding already you maniac. Figure out how to get around me if you want to break the law.

Exactly.

Good for Texas

66 mph. If you are coming up behind me, I'm speeding already you maniac. Figure out how to get around me if you want to break the law.
Exactly, tho is the attitude of most down here in South Florida. I know 17 is just playing the part here but serially this is the mind set most places I am driving in, not just South Florida either.

The correct answer is 65 MPH.

In theory, the right lanes are for vehicles moving slower than 65 MPH, while the far left lane is for passing vehicles going no more than 65 MPH.

Absolutely correct. There is a really easy way to check if you should be in the leftmost lane. Check your rearview. Is there a car right behind you? If so you should not be in the left lane.
There's an even easier way to check. Is there a car in the lane to your right? If not, you should not be in the left lane.

If you guys want to get super technical, not only is the left lane for passing only, but the speed limit is 65. All you fools advocating for anything greater while still saying that the lane is for passing only "because that's the law" are full of it.

According to the law, the rules of the road or whatever? Yeah, passing only. In reality? If you live anywhere with any kind of traffic, you use whatever lane is available. If you're in the left because there's heavy traffic, so be it. Everyone jamming over to the right to leave the left clear for "passing" doesn't clear up congestion.

No offense to the OP but I don't drive anywhere in South Florida where the left lane is not being hugged at about the speed limit to maybe 5 over, you have to zig zag back and forth between lanes to get anywhere. You can spout all this perfect answer stuff but out in the real world down here you are whistling Dixie my friend.

Someone tell em I'm wrong. I also do not remember SoCal being anything close to ideal either.
If they're doing the speed limit or 5 over and you're zig zagging around them, you're the problem, not them. They're obeying the speed limit.

And yet it seems to work so well in Europe.
This. I went to Ireland, and everyone was warning me about driving there...The highways were the most orderly and efficient things imagineable. Why? Because people passed and got over. Pass...and get over. That's it. That's the simple solution. The problem here is that there are so many people that DON'T do this that the people who would normally be doing the passing start weaving, which compounds the problem because then people are less likely to move over.

I swear...I drove 1,200 miles in a week in Ireland, and I undertook maybe 3 cars. Everyone else was doing it right. I can't go 10 miles here without undertaking 3 cars.

If they're doing the speed limit or 5 over and you're zig zagging around them, you're the problem, not them. They're obeying the speed limit.
But it's not me doing it, it's MoP. And you have just instigated MoP and others like him to drive recklessly. That is the checkmate point on this issue. It's that you know people are going to go around you and that is adding danger because people tend to no be prepared for other passing them on the right/tailgating/etc, therefore you are as much a hazard as he is, if not more.

Exactly, tho is the attitude of most down here in South Florida. I know 17 is just playing the part here but serially this is the mind set most places I am driving in, not just South Florida either.
dammit I thought I could Tanner you guys

Not a chance this helps. I drive I-78 to I-287 every day, and the majority of the cars are in the left lane. You can't ticket the whole line. Nothing will change this until we change the mentality of the whole country (aka it'll never happen)
In the meantime, the state can benefit by fining the self-absorbed fools who do it. It's up to the cops to enforce it for proper kharmic accounting.

I always use the left lane...I drive 5-7 mph over the speed limit...I get out of the way for everyone who is driving faster than me, then get back in the lane. As long as you're not holding up faster traffic, feel free to use the lane and go fast as you want.

But it's not me doing it, it's MoP. And you have just instigated MoP and others like him to drive recklessly. That is the checkmate point on this issue. It's that you know people are going to go around you and that is adding danger because people tend to no be prepared for other passing them on the right/tailgating/etc, therefore you are as much a hazard as he is, if not more.
I don't disagree with that, but consider what MoP is saying - if everyone's going the speed limit or 5 over, he still wants the left lane cleared to he can pass... by driving illegally over the speed limit. He's basically complaining that people aren't making it easy for him to break the law. And though I'm using his name, I don't mean to imply that he's specifically a problem driver, but he did bring this up... and there are tons of people that seem to agree with him.

I always use the left lane...I drive 5-7 mph over the speed limit...I get out of the way for everyone who is driving faster than me, then get back in the lane. As long as you're not holding up faster traffic, feel free to use the lane and go fast as you want.
At what point do you recognize that you are "in the way" of another car?

At what point do you recognize that you are "in the way" of another car?
This is the problem. No one looks behind them when driving, I swear. The left lane campers are those that don't pay attention to their speed, their mirrors, or what's going on behind them.

Exactly.

In some places you can, and in those cases the law is exactly wrong. The car passing on the right should not be ticketed, the car being passed should be ticketed for obstructing the flow of traffic.

I don't disagree with that, but consider what MoP is saying - if everyone's going the speed limit or 5 over, he still wants the left lane cleared to he can pass... by driving illegally over the speed limit. He's basically complaining that people aren't making it easy for him to break the law. And though I'm using his name, I don't mean to imply that he's specifically a problem driver, but he did bring this up... and there are tons of people that seem to agree with him.
Legality has nothing to do with it. Here's where it comes back to my theory that everybody should do a couple years in NYC when they're young. You learn important lessons about flow and how to move around populated spaces.

It's not your responsibility (nor is it your right) to enforce the speed limit from your driver's seat. If there are people on the road who are attempting to drive faster than you are, move over so they can pass. It's safer for everyone involved.

I'm not talking about heavy congestion where every lane is packed with stop-and-start traffic or whatever. Under normal driving conditions, if someone has to change lanes to pass you on the right, you're the one doing it wrong.

It's not your responsibility (nor is it your right) to enforce the speed limit from your driver's seat. If there are people on the road who are attempting to drive faster than you are, move over so they can pass. It's safer for everyone involved.

I'm not talking about heavy congestion where every lane is packed with stop-and-start traffic or whatever. Under normal driving conditions, if someone has to change lanes to pass you on the right, you're the one doing it wrong.
Theoretically, sure. But I can't tell you how many times I've been in the left lane (passing someone or otherwise) and had someone come flying up behind me doing 90-95, only to have that person zig zag around me at the first opportunity. That's not my fault, and it's reckless driving on their part to boot. You'll never convince me that someone driving illegally by speeding and weaving through traffic somehow has more validity than someone who is driving annoyingly by maybe using the left lane the way it's not supposed to be used. Show me that cops are writing tickets for driving in the left lane while not passing at the same (or even close) to the rate that they're writing tickets for speeding. Whatever the left lane is supposed to be used for, it's just not so black and white anymore.

[ETA - don't get me wrong, I don't enforce a speed limit from my drivers seat. I don't camp in the left lane. If someone comes up behind me, whatever lane I'm in, I make an effort to see if I can be somewhere else. Someone mentioned nobody ever checks their mirrors? I do. Constantly. I trained myself for years to always know, to the best of my ability, what every car around me was doing at all times. I don't like being surprised.]

Guys like MoP are less of a "problem driver" than the people clogging the left lane going 66 MPH.

Users who are viewing this thread