What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NEWZA -- On Covid Siesta til '21 (1 Viewer)

If we can make FAAB work, that's great. I still don't agree with equating auction and FAAB salaries for keeper purposes. The bidding dynamics for the pre-season auction and FAAB aren't the same.

One of the challenges in keeping a keeper league running is to manage inflation, particularly if there's some turnover in ownership. Allowing mid-season pickups to be kept leads to prospect speculation and increases the potential for tanking.

If we can make FAAB work, that's great. I still don't agree with equating auction and FAAB salaries for keeper purposes. The bidding dynamics for the pre-season auction and FAAB aren't the same.

One of the challenges in keeping a keeper league running is to manage inflation, particularly if there's some turnover in ownership. Allowing mid-season pickups to be kept leads to prospect speculation and increases the potential for tanking.
You're all sunshine.

If you make the FA keeper eligibility cutoff July 31st it works well. A lot of teams are still in the mix and I have released guys in August I regret releasing later.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like we should be able to finish before midnight EST

The only-keep-9-12 angle, with the scaling salary increases and 5 year max, is really what makes the league unique, and future auctions will take less time. It all works with the FAAB and actually makes that whole process a little more interesting.

Does anybody else have thoughts on the in-season acquisition process? We had been running it on Fri and Sun, TRE was suggesting, or had been using different days I think, it's all the same to me. Friday & Sunday go back to our days of having weekly scoring periods, something we probably aren't doing here.

here are some random thoughts form the peanut gallery

-I certainly don't mind if we choose to auction off the entire 30 players. The auction will run late, but all the more chance for Tre and Stryker to get 8 sheets to the wind and make turrrrible bids. :thumbup: BUT, my concern there is that there will be a LOT of $1 players late which will give too many bargains for keepers in subsequent years. A $260 budget for the starting 23 should work well, and every team may have a few good keepers, bumping this budget to 30 players is going to really allow a lot of players to go for < $3 at auction.

-The issue with running a reserve draft is assigning values for future years to reserve players. Perhaps we can assign a value to all reserve players who may want to be kept at $XX dollars? This may speed the auction process, while allowing teams to pick reserves that can a) both help current roster weaknesses and b) have future value?

-I really do like FAAB because of all the previously listed reasons - guys running to waiver wires, streaming players, etc.. Helps lazy owners have a bit more of a chance to bid on a brought up player, etc... as opposed to someone who can scour the Internets all week long. Further, it will help future leagues to assign values to new players that may or not be kept.

-If running FAAB twice per week has worked in the past, I'm certainly not one to rock the boat, I say go for it. I think Sunday should be one of the days, as a guy that is in multiple leagues, basically I spend an hour or so sunday night just poring over all of my leagues to setup the week ahead. The other day I'm open, Wed, Thur, Fri is fine.

-Are we still doing weekly scoring periods?

Well, we only need to auction off the full 30 this one time.. subsequent years it will be a lot more smooth

-Are we still doing weekly scoring periods?
I will let someone else make that call, it was something we came up with that turned out to be kind of fun. I enjoyed it more when we were doing weekly lineups, that made every week sort of like one extended "game" against everybody else.

Fwiw, I left $30 on the table in my mock and had the most expensive player, so I works have had 4+ bucks to drop on each reserve

:o

have we decided on the entry fee yet? who is collecting money?

are we doing a reserve draft or a straight 260 budget for all 30 players?

are we doing weekly scoring periods?

also, I did a few rounds of a mock draft last night on the yahoo site and it was extremely fast. Is there any way to alter the timer on the auction? Or pause the draft? You get 30 seconds to select a player to bid on and the the auction last 30 seconds. While not a huge problem at the beginning, as rosters start filling out, that goes by extremely quickly.

just curious. draft is less than a week away

also, I did a few rounds of a mock draft last night on the yahoo site and it was extremely fast. Is there any way to alter the timer on the auction? Or pause the draft? You get 30 seconds to select a player to bid on and the the auction last 30 seconds. While not a huge problem at the beginning, as rosters start filling out, that goes by extremely quickly.

it is pretty fast

Yeah, part of the fun is ridiculing people throughout the auction, we need time for i-banter

Yeah, part of the fun is ridiculing people throughout the auction, we need time for i-banter
We're walking a fine line between getting her done in one night and i-banter.

It seemed to me 30 seconds was fine for selecting a player to put up for auction...especially since you can create a queue ahead of time while everyone else bids up David DeJesus. Also, if multiple people bid on players the clock would extend, so it wasn't just a flat 30 seconds and then the player is done.

I don't know if I can change these options, but I can see if I can bump up the time a little bit on the live bidding. I was bantering just fine with the knobs I did a mock with. As it is, the east coasters are going to be up late on a Monday. If you're all cool with that, I am too, but I'm trying to be cognizant of that.

Hi Guru - I was kind of waiting for more opinions to roll in on some of these. I'm meeting with co-commish and league mascot Zilla this afternoon for some rules discussion where hopefully we can have a final proposal put together. Getting pumped for Monday!

We're walking a fine line between getting her done in one night and i-banter.

It seemed to me 30 seconds was fine for selecting a player to put up for auction...especially since you can create a queue ahead of time while everyone else bids up David DeJesus. Also, if multiple people bid on players the clock would extend, so it wasn't just a flat 30 seconds and then the player is done.

I don't know if I can change these options, but I can see if I can bump up the time a little bit on the live bidding. I was bantering just fine with the knobs I did a mock with. As it is, the east coasters are going to be up late on a Monday. If you're all cool with that, I am too, but I'm trying to be cognizant of that.
Bolded helps :thumbup:

I did a Yahoo mock and I think the speed issues were exacerbated by autobidders that immediately bid up to the Yahoo default value. Things would probably be a little slower if all bidders were online.

ETA: The bid button delay seemed laggy at times. I almost got stuck with a player at a higher price when the price changed and the +1 button took effect at the higher price.

I did a Yahoo mock and I think the speed issues were exacerbated by autobidders that immediately bid up to the Yahoo default value. Things would probably be a little slower if all bidders were online.

ETA: The bid button delay seemed laggy at times. I almost got stuck with a player at a higher price when the price changed and the +1 button took effect at the higher price.
I noticed no lag, but I suppose it could be the time of day/night. Or maybe the athritis was kicking in for you? Monday night should be a pretty safe time slot for us.

are the keeper rules posted somewhere?
A player obtained at auction may be kept at the bid price for 2 seasons. Following the second season, the owner must decide whether to extend that player for 2 more seasons at a $5 increase, or option the player for one more season at the same price, after which time the player would go back into the player pool. If the player is extended, the owner may choose after the fourth season to keep the player for one more year at a $5 increase, or place the player back into the pool. No player will be kept longer than 5 years.

We're walking a fine line between getting her done in one night and i-banter. It seemed to me 30 seconds was fine for selecting a player to put up for auction...especially since you can create a queue ahead of time while everyone else bids up David DeJesus. Also, if multiple people bid on players the clock would extend, so it wasn't just a flat 30 seconds and then the player is done.

1 night to get this done? Any estimate on time length, I'm an east coast go getter

We're walking a fine line between getting her done in one night and i-banter. It seemed to me 30 seconds was fine for selecting a player to put up for auction...especially since you can create a queue ahead of time while everyone else bids up David DeJesus. Also, if multiple people bid on players the clock would extend, so it wasn't just a flat 30 seconds and then the player is done.

1 night to get this done? Any estimate on time length, I'm an east coast go getter
I finished a mock 12 team/23 man roster auction in under 3 hours. I think 4 hours is a good estimate for our shindig. You'll probably have to account for extra caffeine needs on Tuesday morning.

14 teams x 30 players per team = 420

at an average of 1 minute per player auctioned off - that's 7 hours.

I think end game will go a bit quicker than that, but still gonna be pretty long if we auction every one off

are the keeper rules posted somewhere?
A player obtained at auction may be kept at the bid price for 2 seasons. Following the second season, the owner must decide whether to extend that player for 2 more seasons at a $5 increase, or option the player for one more season at the same price, after which time the player would go back into the player pool. If the player is extended, the owner may choose after the fourth season to keep the player for one more year at a $5 increase, or place the player back into the pool. No player will be kept longer than 5 years.
I have a slightly different/less complex take on it, but I'm willing to go with the above as well. We probably don't need to decide this before the auction since either way Zilla and I agree keeping the player after year one is free!

My local does:

Year 1 -- The year you acquire player in auction or FAAB

Year 2 -- Keep for same price as auction/FAAB

Year 3 -- Keep for auction/FAAB price +$5

Year 4 -- Keep for Year 3 price +$5 more

Year 5 -- Keep for Year 4 price +$5 more -- last year you can keep them.

So, year 2 free, each subsequent year carries a $5 bump. This is more expensive over the 5 years than Zillaversion, and avoids the optioning in year 3 for less. In both versions, when you trade players their contract goes with them.

This version works on fantrax/cbs with no manual intervention, not sure about Yahoo yet although they do auction and keeper, so hopefully some version of this would work there. We'll find out after the auction, which gives us plenty of time to switch sites if need be.

12 team x 23 man roster = 276

some quick math extrapolation showing ~ 4 3/4 hours
I did one in 3 hours this size. What's that work out to per player? It was about a minute a player early on, but then it starting cruising much faster.

If a person bids in the last ten seconds it bumps it back up for a new 10 count. Also, if multiple people bid early on a player it seemed like it bumped it back to 30 seconds each time. At the end it was a lot 2-3 bids and done with no one bumping it up at the last 10 seconds.

Would have preferred a weekend slot, but the doodle did not abide. I think we have to tough it out. Worst case we're at midnight eastern and there's a ton left we'll try and stop and collect what we've got and call an audible in the morning.

Does a prospect have to make a minimum number of PAs or IPs in 2014 to be eligible for keepers? Does the same rule apply to someone like Matt Harvey?

Does a prospect have to make a minimum number of PAs or IPs in 2014 to be eligible for keepers? Does the same rule apply to someone like Matt Harvey?
No minimum. You could try and get someone in the auction or FAAB and stash them if you want. My experience is a lot of the "big names" as far as prospects are rostered. Several are kept for a year or sometimes two before they hit the bigs. This of course shortens the amount of time you can keep them when they are actually playing though. Different folks have different strategies in that regard.

No minimum. You could try and get someone in the auction or FAAB and stash them if you want. My experience is a lot of the "big names" as far as prospects are rostered. Several are kept for a year or sometimes two before they hit the bigs. This of course shortens the amount of time you can keep them when they are actually playing though. Different folks have different strategies in that regard.
I assume they have to be in Yahoo's database to be auctioned

I assume they have to be in Yahoo's database to be auctioned
I think that's a good assumption. :thumbup: The database is supposedly expanded this year, so you can grab your prospects if you are so inclined.

Did the number of players to be auctioned ever get finalized?
think we're going entire roster if time allows. If it gets to late spillover can happen on a board somewhere on Tuesday.
This has trainwreck written all over it
We'll get off your lawn.

I want all 30. If it's 12:30 eastern and there's a bunch left, we'll call it and reconvene Tuesday to determine how we'll finish.

Bottom line is it's $260 for 30 players and everyone should plan accordingly. Weird bench draft is a no-go. We have 12 days to finish this out the right way.

Users who are viewing this thread