What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Battery Guys -- Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

The Hank

Footballguy
My wife's 2011 Honda Odyssey's battery needs to be replaced (had to jump it 3 times in the last week).

Where is the best place to get a deal on a good car battery: Interstate, AAA, Sams Club?

Looking for advice on where to go first.

TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda dealership to get that thing replaced under warranty...3 years for a battery? that's brutal

No schtick, my in-laws bought a brand new Chevy Suburban which had a 3 year warranty and on the first day it was out of warranty the battery died. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there. I've got 145k miles on my '05 Suburban and I'm still on the original battery. I cross my fingers every time I turn the key.

Wal Mart. No shtick.
He's right. We're done here.
Really... that probably would've been the last place I tried -- what brand would you suggest?
I've been getting batteries there for probably 10 years. Put 2 or 3 of their cheapest batteries in cars where I figured the battery would outlast the car. Never noticed any real difference in quality.

And I've always had good service there.

True story: My kid kills the battery on the beater he drives. He left the lights on for an entire day or something. Battery is toast. Has a friend take him to Wal Mart to buy a knew one without taking the old one with him. Goes home and replaces the battery. Then he takes the dead battery back to get the core deposit or whatever. Wal Mart guy notices that the dead battery is one of theirs and is still under warranty. Guy gives my kid back what he paid for the new battery.

Auto Zone, they will put it in for you.
If you can't put in your own battery, time to turn in the man card.
When it is 0 degrees outside, why torture yourself, when an AutoZone employee can come out and in 2 minutes its switched out. Common sense really.
Because despite my tough talk, changing the battery is one of only four things I can do on a car so I'm going to do it to prevent further emasculation.

Don't go to AdvanceAuto - I bought a battery there in February. My LR2 started doing all kinds of strange things. The first mechanic said the computer was draining the engine ($35 charge), the Land Rover mechanic said that the computer was fine, but the battery was dead ($140 charge), finally, I take it BACK to Advance, and they test it and say, "Yup, battery is bad." So their "free replacement" cost me $180 in shop charges.

I'm quite good with cars, but when the battery goes on an LR2, it starts doing VERY strange things...and computers on some cars aren't something to be messed with.

Skip AAA unless it is your daughter or wife who is getting it replaced in the middle of nowhere. The batteries are not that great quality-wise and the price is not that good. BJ's has some good options, but there are some good ones at Walmart.

Skip AAA unless it is your daughter or wife who is getting it replaced in the middle of nowhere. The batteries are not that great quality-wise and the price is not that good. BJ's has some good options, but there are some good ones at Walmart.
Leaning towards going the Wal-Mart route, but checking around with the Honda dealer to see if its still under warranty.

Leaning towards going the Wal-Mart route, but checking around with the Honda dealer to see if its still under warranty.
Good luck. I would love to hear how you make out on that. I just bought a 2014 CRV. My guess is that tires, brake pads, batteries, wipers and such are not covered under any warranty. They might throw you a $100 bone to be happy, though.

Your vehicle, including the 12-volt

battery, is covered for 3 years or

36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Some parts may have separate

coverage under other warranties

described in this book.

We are <3 years and 33,000 miles

:tebow:

I just go to Batteries Plus and buy a middle of the road one. I've not price shopped car batteries and figure even if Wal Mart is a touch cheaper...I hate going there so eff em.

I've always done Auto Zone with great results. I've done Wal Mart for tires in the past with good results, I can't imagine they would be bad at batteries.

Autozone Duralast Gold is an excellent value.

I personally run a Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM Deep Cycle for my jeep due to it's performance in off camber / upside down conditions, and the ability to handle severe draw down (winching) without damaging the battery. Made by Odyssey they are great "value" for an extremely good battery. But that far exceeds what the average user needs.

Check to see if you are still under warranty, I would think you are covered for at least 3 years provided you haven't put too many miles on it.

Funny, the battery on my wife's truck died on Saturday. Just did AAA. I paid $99 total and they come out and replace it wherever you are and you have a new battery in 30mins. I'm sure it's cheaper at Walmart but it couldn't get more convenient than AAA.

They replace for free if it dies in less than 3 years, prorate up to 6 years.

Optima had some quality control issues for a while.. not sure if they've been cleared up. Solid battery when they're made right though.

Funny, the battery on my wife's truck died on Saturday. Just did AAA. I paid $99 total and they come out and replace it wherever you are and you have a new battery in 30mins. I'm sure it's cheaper at Walmart but it couldn't get more convenient than AAA.

That's actually a real good deal. Prob pay a $20 premium over WalMart, but that's a small price to pay for someone to come to you when stranded and drop it in.

Optima had some quality control issues for a while.. not sure if they've been cleared up. Solid battery when they're made right though.

That's actually a real good deal. Prob pay a $20 premium over WalMart, but that's a small price to pay for someone to come to you when stranded and drop it in.
They also check your alternator and starter so you know if those are good or bad.

Your vehicle, including the 12-volt

battery, is covered for 3 years or

36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Some parts may have separate

coverage under other warranties

described in this book.

We are <3 years and 33,000 miles

:tebow:
Dropped off the car at the dealer on Saturday, they are supposed to work on it today and will know if its the battery or not.

Users who are viewing this thread