What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Congratulations to Ray Guy, HOFer! Well deserved after the long wait. Complete Bull#### that Andre Reed is in and Tim Brown is out. No such thing as "east coast bias" eh?

Going into year 3 of the Reggie/DA era. We got continuity baby! All things considered, we aren't the Cleveland Browns and we can be thankful to Mark Davis for that. We aren't a dumpster fire!

Reggie Mac's got the #5 overall pick, and a fairly decent slate of draft picks this year, and a heady amount of cap space to work with. Some in the media are saying it's a make or break year for this regime. It's a long time till the draft in May or free agency in March, so let's reset the table for 2014 and get the discussion going on all things Raiders.

Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of wish they lost one more game last year to have a higher pick. HAVE to hit a home run with the 5 pick.

East Coast bias in the NFL?

I can see it with Heisman voting what with many west coast games being played at 10 pm or later in the eastern time zone. I can understand east coast bias in baseball or basketball.

I do not see it at all with the NFL. All NFL games are watchable on the east coast.

I don't buy east coast bias one bit with anything NFL-related.

ICON211 said:
Kind of wish they lost one more game last year to have a higher pick. HAVE to hit a home run with the 5 pick.
Yeah, it is a very important pick. It will be interesting to see if they select a QB or opt to take one in a later round.

I can see it with Heisman voting what with many west coast games being played at 10 pm or later in the eastern time zone. I can understand east coast bias in baseball or basketball.

I do not see it at all with the NFL. All NFL games are watchable on the east coast.

I'm not claiming that East Coast voters don't see west coast games. They aren't ignorant of west coast football. They just play favorites with their own teams.

ICON211 said:
Yeah, it is a very important pick. It will be interesting to see if they select a QB or opt to take one in a later round.
I think they almost have to take a QB at the #5 spot and there should be some good ones available there. Some names the Raiders have to consider are Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, or failing that you have to look at Clowney (not likely), Mathews, or Watson.

I'm not claiming that East Coast voters don't see west coast games. They aren't ignorant of west coast football. They just play favorites with their own teams.
The Eagles and Jets don't get many guys, so your beef could be with the Giants and Patriots. Maybe Tippett and Strahan annoy you?

Rotoworld:

National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli passes along "scuttlebutt" that the Raiders may pursue Matt Schaub once the Texans release him.
Schaub's release is a mere formality, as he's owed $11 million in 2014 salary and bonuses and isn't worth half that much. He could command $3-4 million annually on a backup-caliber deal. Per Pasquarelli, Schaub "has some fans in the organization." We hope the Raiders wouldn't be counting on Schaub to start.

Related: Raiders

Source: National Football Post

Congratulations to Ray Guy, HOFer! Well deserved after the long wait. Complete Bull#### that Andre Reed is in and Tim Brown is out. No such thing as "east coast bias" eh?
I don't think there is any east coast bias but it is shocking that Reed made the HoF before Timmy. Timmy beats Reed in virtually every statistic (except yards per reception, 13.9 to 13.7, big whoop) by a wide margin. And Reed had a HoF QB throwing to him for the majority of his career. Either the Hall didn't want to induct two players from the same team in the same year, the person presenting Timmy's case sucked or the person presenting Reed's case bribed the voters.

I don't think there is any east coast bias but it is shocking that Reed made the HoF before Timmy. Timmy beats Reed in virtually every statistic (except yards per reception, 13.9 to 13.7, big whoop) by a wide margin. And Reed had a HoF QB throwing to him for the majority of his career. Either the Hall didn't want to induct two players from the same team in the same year, the person presenting Timmy's case sucked or the person presenting Reed's case bribed the voters.
Playing for a very good team for a long time probably made the difference. Raiders were irrelevant during most of his career.

Playing for a very good team for a long time probably made the difference. Raiders were irrelevant during most of his career.
No doubt but I don't see how that is on Timmy.

If anything that should help Brown, not hurt it. Like Chaka was saying in his post, who did Timmy B have to throw to him, other than Gannon near the end of his career?

With all that cap space it will be interesting to see if McKenzie goes on a foolish overspending spree ala Al Davis, Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones or if he uses the money intelligently to start to build up talent and depth for the long haul.

Tim Brown is my most hated "famous" Raider.

Sure, he had the stats on a lot of bad Raider teams but I feel like every time he was outspoken as a "leader" about a coaching hire or free agent moves and such, he was always dead wrong. And for being such a "great" receiver, I was amazing when an old, washed up Jerry Rice came to the Raiders and showed what a REAL great WR looked like. I just remember steaming listening to that guy speak about anything related to the team and I, for one, hope he never makes the HOF.

Not sure why I had to rant on TB but I wonder if I'm the only raider fan that despises him.

Tim Brown is my most hated "famous" Raider.

Sure, he had the stats on a lot of bad Raider teams but I feel like every time he was outspoken as a "leader" about a coaching hire or free agent moves and such, he was always dead wrong. And for being such a "great" receiver, I was amazing when an old, washed up Jerry Rice came to the Raiders and showed what a REAL great WR looked like. I just remember steaming listening to that guy speak about anything related to the team and I, for one, hope he never makes the HOF.

Not sure why I had to rant on TB but I wonder if I'm the only raider fan that despises him.
Jerry Rice is the greatest to ever play the position, there is no shame to being second fiddle to him and he was hardly washed up in 2001 when he came to the Raiders. However your memory isn't how it actually played out. They had virtually identical seasons in 2001 (83-1139-9 for Rice, 91-1169 & 9 for Timmy). In 2002 & 2003 Rice was better with 92-1211-7 to Timmy's 81-931-2. In 2003, both of their final years with Oakland , Rice put up 63-869-2 & Timmy put up 52-567-2. Sure Rice was better in '02 & '03 but he wasn't exactly crushing him in the stat line. The were both out of the league in 2005, Rice was 42 & Timmy was 38.

What specifically did Timmy say about personnel that made you dislike him so much? There had to be a specific instance because he wasn't exactly known for running his mouth.

I reeeeally wish I remember the specifics but my memory sucks. All I know is that I've been a fan since 77 and I didn't make up my feelings of hatred for TB just recently. Man, I hate that dude.

Am I the only Raider fan with severe dislike for this man? I have a feeling I am.

The only thing I recall is him being vocal about was hiring a coach but I can't remember who. But I do remember it was a horrible hire (that can be one of a half dozen guys back then, eh).

With all that cap space it will be interesting to see if McKenzie goes on a foolish overspending spree ala Al Davis, Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones or if he uses the money intelligently to start to build up talent and depth for the long haul.
If anything, I'm worried that Reggie keeps his hands in his pockets during free agency. He already mentioned something about having $5 to spend in his pocket and not spending it all on one place, or something like that. And he said he would not be "shopping at Macys". The fact is he has a ton of cash to spend, but he doesn't have to spend it all. Mark Davis is controlling the pursestrings and already has gone on the cheap only committing one year deals to all of coach Allen's assistant coaches. I think that's a harbinger of things to come. Jared Veldheer is already complaining about Reggie being slow to lock him down to a long term deal, and he could be headed for a franchise tag. Reggie could also front load his free agent signings and only has to spend ~88% of the cap on average over a 5 year period. I'm guessing that's what Reggie eventually will do, knowing this team isn't ready to jump into the playoff picture in one year. So I wouldn't worry about him overspending and reincarnating his inner Al Davis during free agency. Remember that this is the same guy who got the Raiders so far under the cap. He's not going to piss it all away just because that's what the media and fans would have him do.

Do the Raiders really have $80 million in cap space? Can't vouch for the accuracy but it says here they have $63.6 million: http://www.spotrac.com/premium/research/nfl/projected-2014-nfl-team-cap-space-420/

When you consider they have 24 free agents they are going to have to spread a lot of that money around just to field a 53 man roster. I anticipate they will spend big to get Veldheer and Houston signed, then maybe one or two middle tier players, most likely on the defensive line. I would like to see them bring back Potter, Jenkins, Woodson, Burnett and Simms.

Reggie is on record as wanting to bring in a veteran QB to compete, so we should expect some cash to be allocated to the position. I don't expect a big signing, rather a someone that is willing to come in at a discount. Schaub, Sanchez and possibly McCown come to mind.

All said, they do not have the cap issues of the past, but the figure is deceiving considering how many FAs they have.

Watching ESPN films The Marinovich Project (available Netflix streaming), it is a pretty interesting story and well done doc. Recommended.

Rotoworld:

According to CSN Bay Area's Scott Bair, "there is concern" among the Raiders' coaching staff that 2013 second-round pick Menelik Watson "might not have it."
Watson has barely practiced with the Raiders, let alone played, so he still deserves time. But 95.7 The Game's Lincoln Kennedy recently suggested a similar feeling inside the organization regarding Watson, who was the 42nd overall pick in last April's draft. The Raiders also got very little out of first-rounder D.J. Hayden in year one. They cut fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson, and sixth-rounder Latavius Murray didn't play a 2013 snap.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Terrelle Pryor is not viewed as a lock to be in the Raiders' 2014 roster.
"It's very clear Pryor doesn't have a future as a QB here," writes beat reporter Scott Bair. Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie didn't draft Pryor, and the coaching staff noticeably soured on him after last year's short-lived hot start. Pryor does have value because he's big and athletic, only 24, and signed cheaply for 2014. We suspect the Raiders could get a late-round pick for Pryor, though they won't come close to the third-round value he originally cost them.

CSN Bay Area's Scott Bair predicts free agent Josh Freeman will be the Raiders' starting quarterback in Week 1.
Bair notes that the Raiders were "really interested in (Freeman) during the season." Regardless of how anyone feels about Freeman, this is one of the most logical fits in 2014 free agency. Raiders OC Greg Olson was Freeman's offensive coordinator and position coach for his first three NFL seasons, and Olson needs a quarterback. Oakland could conceivably sign Freeman and use the No. 5 overall pick on Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, or Johnny Manziel.

Related: Raiders

Thanks Faust!
What are your thoughts on Josh Freeman being the predicted opening day starting QB since you follow both the Bucs and Raiders?

If I was a Raiders fan I'd rather them give Terell Pryor another season - but that ship has seemed to have sailed.
As you know well, living in Tampa, I endured all the drama of the exile of Josh Freeman. Was some of his criticism deserved? Sure, yes I think it was. He progressively got worse in games when the game was on the line and he needed to just make a play to move the chains and win the games the defense had gift wrapped for him. He became erratic going into his final year in Tampa and all the pundits called it a "make or break year" for him. To make matters worse Greg Schiano's "toes on the line" mantra didn't sit well with Freeman's aloof lifestyle. This was a trainwreck and everyone in Tampa knew it.

So could a change in scenery work for Freeman? He's got to get his head screwed back on right and take to it like his rookie year. He's still very young and has a lot of NFL experience to lean on. Plus he's had a great rapport with Raiders OC Greg Olson that is well documented. Who knows, it might work. But then again, it's hard to forget that MNF game where Freeman looked completely lost throwing ducks in the dirt and wearing confused googly eyes. If that is the Josh Freeman of now, then forget about. That was easily the worst example of quarterbacking I've seen in two decades or more.

On the cheap and rebound, it might be worth a shot to try him out and see if he sticks. Of course, I would also like to see one of the prize QB's fall in the draft to our alloted slot #5. But maybe that's wishful thinking. One thing is for sure, we need to shore up the most critical need on the team and that is at QB. Without a franchise QB, you are going nowhere fast. Pryor for better or for worse does not seem to have internal support anymore, and if that's the case, you need to send him packing. It doesn't do him or the organization any good to let this decision fester.

I really hope Watson does not wash out. The team had high hopes for him and if he busts it will be a big setback (if he doesn't it could be a big boost).

Not surprised about Pryor at all. I love his raw athletic ability but he really looked lost out there last season.

I like Freeman's talent and think he has shown a lot already in his career (and he's young too). He would be a huge upgrade over what they were putting out there last year.

Too early to make a judgement on Watson. The concern is his durability. In the brief periods he was on the field he showed some ability. If he can stay healthy he will be an asset.

If they do bring in Freeman, then I doubt they would exhaust an early pick on a QB. Freeman is still young and if he is the answer (which would be very surprising to me) then picking a QB high would be a wasted pick.

I would not be surprised if they moved on from Pryor. He is extremely limited in what he can do. Once teams started over playing him to run right he was ineffective.

We need to get Velhdeer and Houston signed!!!!

Boy, Reggie had better hope that ONE of his last 1st and 2nd round picks works out. A pretty ugly track record so far.

Only the Raiders would draft a player that almost died as their first round pick. I just hung my head and thought "so typical" when I heard the pick.

ugh.

Raiders sign RB Kory Sheets

Link: http://pro32.ap.org/article/raiders-sign-rb-kory-sheets

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Raiders signed running back Kory Sheets from the Canadian Football League on Wednesday.

Sheets originally entered the NFL in 2009 as an undrafted free agent on San Francisco's practice squad. He played his only two games with Miami and also spent time on Carolina's practice squad.

Sheets spent the past two seasons with Saskatchewan in the CFL. He rushed for 2,875 yards and 23 touchdowns, averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Sheets was the MVP of the 2013 Grey Cup when he rushed for a Grey Cup-record 197 yards and two TDs in a win over Hamilton.

Oakland might need to replace its top two running backs from last season with Rashad Jennings and Darren McFadden eligible to become unrestricted free agents.

Raiders sign RB Kory Sheets

Link: http://pro32.ap.org/article/raiders-sign-rb-kory-sheets

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Raiders signed running back Kory Sheets from the Canadian Football League on Wednesday.

Sheets originally entered the NFL in 2009 as an undrafted free agent on San Francisco's practice squad. He played his only two games with Miami and also spent time on Carolina's practice squad.

Sheets spent the past two seasons with Saskatchewan in the CFL. He rushed for 2,875 yards and 23 touchdowns, averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Sheets was the MVP of the 2013 Grey Cup when he rushed for a Grey Cup-record 197 yards and two TDs in a win over Hamilton.

Oakland might need to replace its top two running backs from last season with Rashad Jennings and Darren McFadden eligible to become unrestricted free agents.
Didn't cut it, left and got some quality work in....I like to see this. He's suddenly intriguing

i'll go on the record that i don't want any of the 'top' qb's in the draft. there are so many holes in this team and so many free agents that i don't think the staff knows what to do yet. if they sign one of schaub, freeman, mccown, vick, etc., i'd be shocked if they took a qb at 1.05. but with the current track record, who knows.

hayden was a terrible pick and i really hope he's not a sign of whats to come. i was screaming at the tv looking at the dt's still on the board and we pick the little corner who almost died. :mellow:

you could field a pretty good team, just from the list UFA's here

I can buy into passing on a QB with their top pick. My early guess is that the Raiders will either trade down or take Methews, Robinson or Mack. Reggie has already scratched Clowney off the board due to lack of production and questionable work ethic. Watson is a possibility but they have greater needs elsewhere. If they go offense then Robinson and Mathew represent an immediate upgrade at Oline and have a high probability to an immediate impact. If they go defense then Mack would be an instant upgrade on defense with the upside to dominate games.

I can buy into passing on a QB with their top pick. My early guess is that the Raiders will either trade down or take Methews, Robinson or Mack. Reggie has already scratched Clowney off the board due to lack of production and questionable work ethic. Watson is a possibility but they have greater needs elsewhere. If they go offense then Robinson and Mathew represent an immediate upgrade at Oline and have a high probability to an immediate impact. If they go defense then Mack would be an instant upgrade on defense with the upside to dominate games.
I'm warming up to the idea of Khalil Mack at the #5 spot. Mike Mayock said he would take Khalil Mack #1 overall.

Why are you saying this?

It is a hunch on my part. If you were in Reggie's shoes would you really want to bet on a guy with questionable work habits? Reggie's tenure will hinge on this draft with a focus on the first pick. Also consider that the trend seems to be on picking high chacater guys with early picks.

It is a hunch on my part. If you were in Reggie's shoes would you really want to bet on a guy with questionable work habits? Reggie's tenure will hinge on this draft with a focus on the first pick. Also consider that the trend seems to be on picking high chacater guys with early picks.
We are talking about a guy many consider to be the best defensive prospect in the last 25 years or so. If he fell to five (which I do not think he will) he has to be a consideration IMO. The flip side to that is can he really afford to pass on him and have him turn out to be the best defensive player in a generation?

Have any of these players in the draft almost died in practice? If so, move them up the raiders draft board.

Ugh.

I'd love to see the raiders go Oline or Dline with the #5 pick. Avoid QB and WR.

i don't want any of the qb's at 5. it'll be interesting what we see at the combine. of course johnny ego won't throw until his pro day.

I'd like to see them trade down again. I think this year they will have more leverage and should be able to strike a better deal than they did last year. I doubt Clowney or Bridgewater makes it to #5. If the Raiders aren't enamored with Manziel or Bortles, I say trade out and target OL or DL. I hope they stay away from Watkins or any WR for that matter until they have a QB of the future in place.

massraider said:
I would pass on Clowney for Teddy, and maybe Johnny, I.guess (don't watch much college). That's it.
I really like Bortles and Manziel. I agree though that if Clowney was there the only way I would pass on him is if there was a QB still there that they had rated highly.

Bruno2 said:
I'd like to see them trade down again. I think this year they will have more leverage and should be able to strike a better deal than they did last year. I doubt Clowney or Bridgewater makes it to #5. If the Raiders aren't enamored with Manziel or Bortles, I say trade out and target OL or DL. I hope they stay away from Watkins or any WR for that matter until they have a QB of the future in place.
If Clowney and the QBs were gone I would not mind a trade down. However, I do not have much confidence in Reggie to get fair value if he did trade down again. Getting only a second round pick to move from 3 to 12 was very disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread