What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

bryhamm

Footballguy
Grilled out some stuffed burgers last night in the cold ... and I mean cold. Only did it because it was my son's birthday. Meh, who am I kidding. Any reason to grill is a good reason, even in the cold.

Any way, my youngest son got me this gadget to make stuffed burgers. The damn thing called for 3/4lb of hamburger per patty. Damn. They were pretty good though. Not sure how often I'll use the thing, but maybe every once in a while.

2013 thread

2012 thread

2011 thread

1/7/15 ETA: 2014 removed from thread title

============================================================

Below are links to various posts in this thread

Recipes

Grilled pork chops -- The Fanatic

Grilled pork chops -- Brony

Grilled chicken thighs -- tommyboy

Bai Mango Coconut Curry Habenero Grilled Chicken -- Chaos Commish

Neva's shrooms -- odin33

Chinese style rub and sauce -- heckmann

rub & sauce -- JaxBill

jerk marinade/sauce -- Buckfast

brine -- VA703

burgers -- 36th Chamber

chipotle pork steak tacos -- The Fanatic

mayo magic chicken -- The Fanatic

bacon onion rings -- Keerok

banana boats -- Mr. Ected

mango jalapeno slaw -- Megla

Oakridge rub -- ned

Santa Maria style tri tip -- The Fanatic

grilled mushrooms -- The Fanatic

ribs with asian glaze -- The Fanatic

Bobby Flay orange-ginger beef short ribs -- Binky

cedar plank salmon -- snitwitch

planked honey mustard salmon -- jamny

misc recipes -- Megla

po boys -- EZ Glider

sliders -- The Fanatic

chicken bbq -- VA703

orange soda wings -- JaxBill (with a link to The Fantic's website/recipe)

Grills / Smokers

Weber performer deluxe info

Gadgets

meat probes

propane leak/fill detector

cheap instant read thermometer (not themapen)

thermapen mini

chef alarm by thermaworks

thermaworks fun-size thermometer

trimming knife

Tips / Tricks / Techniques

making a gas grill into a smoker

trick for grilling a whole fish

tips for brisket

Reverse sear method for steaks

tip for homemade corn tortillas

brisket tips

brisket tips

brisket tips

dry brining

dry brining

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to lie... I've been #####ing out and using my Broiler for steaks/burgers during this cold spell we've had lately. :unsure:

My smoked Jamaican jerk wings were ####### awesome last night. They were the hit of the Olympic opening ceremony party.

I marinaded the wings for two days in a homemade jerk sauce that I made using a Jamaican jerk seasoning blend from Savory Spice Shop, soy sauce, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed orange juice and lime juice, turbinado sugar, fresh ground allspice berries, and some other fresh herbs and spices including thyme, ginger, garlic, green onions, and Scotch Bonnet peppers. I used Pimento wood chips that I special-ordered as my smoking wood because the Pimento tree is what produces the allspice berries that are used as one the primary spices in jerk. I cooked the wings for about 2.5 hours in my WSM, occasionally braising with my jerk sauce and flipping the wings once at the mid-way point. Here is what the wings looked like when I pulled them off my smoker:

http://imageshack.com/a/img545/4153/zmwt.jpg

I also smoked some Jamaican jerk tofu for the vegetarians at the party. I've never had tofu before last night, but I have to say it wasn't too bad after the jerk and smoke flavors were infused into it. The vegetarians seemed to like it anyways.

http://imageshack.com/a/img853/9707/5soq.jpg

When we moved into our new house in November we didn't bring our old crappy grill with us. Went out yesterday and bought a Weber Spirit E-310. Really excited to put it to good use this weekend.

My smoked Jamaican jerk wings were ####### awesome last night. They were the hit of the Olympic opening ceremony party.

I marinaded the wings for two days in a homemade jerk sauce that I made using a Jamaican jerk seasoning blend from Savory Spice Shop, soy sauce, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed orange juice and lime juice, fresh ground allspice berries, and some other fresh herbs and spices including thyme, ginger, garlic, green onions, and Scotch Bonnet peppers. I used Pimento wood chips that I special-ordered as my smoking wood because the Pimento tree is what produces the allspice berries that are used as one the primary spices in jerk. I cooked the wings for about 2.5 hours in my WSM, occasionally braising with my jerk sauce and flipping the wings once at the mid-way point. Here is what the wings looked like when I pulled them off my smoker:

I also smoked some Jamaican jerk tofu for the vegetarians at the party. I've never had tofu before last night, but I have to say it wasn't too bad after the jerk and smoke flavors were infused into it. The vegetarians seemed to like it anyways.

Wings look phenomenal!

I marinaded the wings for two days in a homemade jerk sauce that I made using a Jamaican jerk seasoning blend from Savory Spice Shop, soy sauce, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed orange juice and lime juice, fresh ground allspice berries, and some other fresh herbs and spices including thyme, ginger, garlic, green onions, and Scotch Bonnet peppers. I used Pimento wood chips that I special-ordered as my smoking wood because the Pimento tree is what produces the allspice berries that are used as one the primary spices in jerk. I cooked the wings for about 2.5 hours in my WSM, occasionally braising with my jerk sauce and flipping the wings once at the mid-way point. Here is what the wings looked like when I pulled them off my smoker:

Wings look phenomenal!
Thanks! It was my first time smoking wings, but I think they will have to be a part of the regular rotation now. I just love smoked wings.

Grilled out some stuffed burgers last night in the cold ... and I mean cold. Only did it because it was my son's birthday. Meh, who am I kidding. Any reason to grill is a good reason, even in the cold.

Any way, my youngest son got me this gadget to make stuffed burgers. The damn thing called for 3/4lb of hamburger per patty. Damn. They were pretty good though. Not sure how often I'll use the thing, but maybe every once in a while.
Any chance you could put links in the first post of the thread with past year's Grilling and Smoking thread? Would be great for reference.

Was it this?

http://www.buystufz.com/www.buystufz.com/

If so what's your take on it, I was thinking about getting a couple
I have this one from Williams Sonoma - http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/stuffed-hamburger-press-with-lifter/?pkey=e|stuffed%2Bburger|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-

The Stufz product looks easier to use.

Any chance you could put links in the first post of the thread with past year's Grilling and Smoking thread? Would be great for reference.
Yeah, I can do that. Not sure when, but it will be soon.

Was it this?

Might not be that exact brand, but yeah it was the same concept. It had it's pros and cons.

Pros:

* Very easy to create the bowl part.

* The cavity was pretty big, so you can stuff lots in it.

Cons:

* The top doesn't seal very well.

* The size of each patty is HUUUUUGE (might not be a con for some, but it was for many in my house)

I didn't cook mine long enough the first time, but that will fix itself with time and experience. Not sure how often I will make these. Might try playing around with slightly less meat to see if it still works but on a smaller scale.

Yeah, I can do that. Not sure when, but it will be soon.
Added a link to the 2013 thread. Will add older ones later.

Was it this?

Might not be that exact brand, but yeah it was the same concept. It had it's pros and cons.

Pros:

Cons:

* The size of each patty is HUUUUUGE (might not be a con for some, but it was for many in my house)

I didn't cook mine long enough the first time, but that will fix itself with time and experience. Not sure how often I will make these. Might try playing around with slightly less meat to see if it still works but on a smaller scale.
Who buys these things and why? It isn't hard to make a stuffed burger without any gadget

Was it this?

Pros:

Cons:

Who buys these things and why? It isn't hard to make a stuffed burger without any gadget
I would have never bought one for myself, but I got mine as a gift from my son.

TheFanatic said:
First day above 50 in about a month today. Not grilling anything today, but will likely do something tomorrow.

Any one getting the itch with this mini thaw?
Got a 4lb Chuck roast on now!

I have two 7lb pork butts on my kamado as we speak. Threw them on at 10pm last night. Keeping temps around 225. IT of the pork is 174 and has been for three hours. Wondering if I should jack the temp to get through this stall? Any suggestions?

I mentioned the Frontier branch lump charcoal Sam's now has in the '13 thread.

Just to follow up, outside of the wonderful fireworks display, it's terrible. Even at $10 for a 20 lb bag.

Such tiny little pieces. Many of the pieces were falling through the chimney bottom before even lighting. By the time the coals were ready, a full chimney had been reduced by a third at least. A few minutes after that, much of the coals have even fallen through the charcoal grate, clogging up the air vents just for fun.

Admittedly, I don't use lump charcoal often. I usually keep a couple hundred pounds of Kingsford briq's on hand, so it's hard to justify the expense. I tried this stuff because it was cheap, and obviously there's a reason for that.

2013 thread

2012 thread

2011 thread
juicy lucy

I'm not going to lie... I've been #####ing out and using my Broiler for steaks/burgers during this cold spell we've had lately. :unsure:
I haven't gone that far, but I'm pretty close. I have a little camping/tailgating grill that I have placed about a foot outside my back door. All I've done on it is steaks for the last two months, and not many of those. It's been absolutely brutal. That being said, we're getting 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow so I picked up some ribs. If it were just a cold day tomorrow, no way I grill. But I'm a sucker for grilling in the snow.

I'm sooo ready to be back out there two nights a week at least. A handful of steaks while freezing my buns off has got me seriously jonesing for some grilling weather.

TheFanatic said:
Chipotle Pork Steak Tacos

I have but one picture for you to see. If it's not worth checking out the rest of the recipe I will understand.

Here's the picture

Here's the full write up with step by step, picture by picture instructions.
Looks great. May I suggest adding a can of Dr Pepper or Cheerwine to the marinade.

Pork steaks are very underrated, been grilling them for years. They do extremely well absorbing marinades.
That sounds like a great idea.

Usually pull the grill out quite a few times in the winter but this year was too darn cold! Ready to get out there again.

Was thinking about smoking some wings tomorrow on the WSM and crisping them up on the Weber kettle.

Have a kids soccer game early afternoon so my question is...Can I put a rub on the wings for several hours before smoking?

FWIW, I was thinking about doing half the wings in a traditional buffalo style sauce and half in an Asian sauce like this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/tailgating-asian-wings-recipe.html
You can absolutely rub them hours ahead of time. Hell, you could rub them the night before.

Users who are viewing this thread