Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

bryhamm

My family is having a rib "cookoff" at our anual camping trip at the end of July. Anyone done BRITU?

Can I season the ribs the night before we leave and vacuum seal them to be smoked a couple of days later? I tent camp while the rest of my family has campers so my prep area will be somewhat limited. Also worried about bugs when prepping outdoors and needing to leave the ribs sit out for a while.

Get one of these if you're worried about bugs:

1) Make sure you cook your ribs perfect. If you're serious about it, do a practice run. Focus less on your brining and rubs and crap and nail the meat first. That's 90% of it.

2) You want a rub with a little bit of heat in it... then you want to finish them with a candied glaze like Blues Hog applied very late then left to set in foil trays in a cambro (if you have one) or a foil pan with lid if you don't.

My family is having a rib "cookoff" at our anual camping trip at the end of July. Anyone done BRITU?

Can I season the ribs the night before we leave and vacuum seal them to be smoked a couple of days later? I tent camp while the rest of my family has campers so my prep area will be somewhat limited. Also worried about bugs when prepping outdoors and needing to leave the ribs sit out for a while.

Season with freshly ground course black pepper and vacume seal, apply your rub a few hours prior to cooking and foil. Why would the ribs need to sit out for a while?

1) Make sure you cook your ribs perfect. If you're serious about it, do a practice run. Focus less on your brining and rubs and crap and nail the meat first. That's 90% of it.

Hope to do a couple of practice runs. :thumbup: It's not a "serious" competition. Just family bragging rights.

Try this on one of your runs, assuming these are Baby Backs

Use this rub

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Rendezvous-Memphis-Barbecue-Seasoning/dp/B000F14DA2

Remove membrane

Season with freshy ground BP and then apply rub

Let sit a few hours

In a spry bottle mix 50/50 apply juice and apply cidar vinager

Cook at 250 for 1.5 hours, remove and foil along with squeez margerine, brown sugar and honey, close tight and place back on the heat for 1 hour

remove and remove from foil, place back on smoker, spritz and apply more rub, turn up to 300 and cook for 45 minutes, from here spritz every 15 minutes and apply rub evertime you spritz for 45 more minutes, give a bend test and if done pull and apply one last spritz/rub and loosely foil for 15 minutes.

Edited by Megla

Season with freshly ground course black pepper and vacume seal, apply your rub a few hours prior to cooking and foil. Why would the ribs need to sit out for a while?

Ribs would be coming out of a cooler, so would like to bring them to room temp before smoking. I'm probably making it more complicated than it is and could bring them to "room" temp covered.

Pu them on cold, this will give you a much more pronounced smoke ring and will only add around 10-15 minutes cooking time

So my son has requested Fanatic's Orange Soda Wings for his graduation dinner, narrowly edging out Plantation Shrimp and grits. We have to make do with the national brand orange soda down here. Is there any point in marinading the wings in the orange soda? Or maybe orange juice (plenty of that here).

So my son has requested Fanatic's Orange Soda Wings for his graduation dinner, narrowly edging out Plantation Shrimp and grits. We have to make do with the national brand orange soda down here. Is there any point in marinading the wings in the orange soda? Or maybe orange juice (plenty of that here).

where is the recipe? I checked the 2012 and 2013 threads couldn't find it

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2011/05/31/smoked-wings-in-an-orange-soda-and-hot-sauce-glaze/

• Like 1

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2011/05/31/smoked-wings-in-an-orange-soda-and-hot-sauce-glaze/

I'm a big fan of Fanatic's site and use many of his recipes, but don't like the looks of that one. The orange soda strikes me as a gimmick he adds for promotional purposes, and I would not want to smoke wings for an hour over low heat before searing. Just my personal taste, I'm sure he's forgotten more about grilling than I'll ever know. I've worked hard to perfect my wings though, suffered through many bad batches, and finally settled on a method that works for me based on Meathead's recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/buffalo_wings_on_the_grill.html

I'm a big fan of Fanatic's site and use many of his recipes, but don't like the looks of that one. The orange soda strikes me as a gimmick he adds for promotional purposes, and I would not want to smoke wings for an hour over low heat before searing. Just my personal taste, I'm sure he's forgotten more about grilling than I'll ever know. I've worked hard to perfect my wings though, suffered through many bad batches, and finally settled on a method that works for me based on Meathead's recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/buffalo_wings_on_the_grill.html

The method Fanatic uses is pretty good as long as you hit the wings up with plenty of butter/sauce and crisp them up over direct heat. I usually smoke them for about 45 - 60 minutes over 250 so it's not real low heat.

I've used it before with his recipe and others. Different taste than deep fried buffalo wings for sure but still pretty darn good.

ETA - That amazingribs link even has the disclaimer:

"If you have a smoker, start them on the smoker, then finish on a hot grill over direct heat to crisp."

Edited by JaxBill

The method Fanatic uses is pretty good as long as you hit the wings up with plenty of butter/sauce and crisp them up over direct heat. I usually smoke them for about 45 - 60 minutes over 250 so it's not real low heat.

I've used it before with his recipe and others. Different taste than deep fried buffalo wings for sure but still pretty darn good.

"If you have a smoker, start them on the smoker, then finish on a hot grill over direct heat to crisp."

Or you could just fry them after smoking them if crisp skin is the objective

Anyone ever use an air fryer? I'm thinking about picking one up with this being one of the main reasons. I would think putting chicken in one of these for 5-10 minutes after smoking would do the trick.

Anyone ever use an air fryer? I'm thinking about picking one up with this being one of the main reasons. I would think putting chicken in one of these for 5-10 minutes after smoking would do the trick.

I bought my dad one and we do wings and whole chickn in them all the time and we do a smaller 12-14 LBs turkey in each Thanksgiving.

I got him this

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer

Fanatic doesn't come around very much anymore. I wonder why?

Also, does anyone know a good source to have a logo drawn up? I made some pulled pork and chicken for a fund raiser a few weeks ago as a favor to a buddy of mine and now 3 different people are asking me to supply the same for small events for them. I figure maybe I should get some business cards just in case this progresses.

ETA - I know where to get the cards, but I want a caricature type logo like so many BBQ teams and joints have to put on the cards.

Edited by SteevieG

I bought my dad one and we do wings and whole chickn in them all the time and we do a smaller 12-14 LBs turkey in each Thanksgiving.

I got him this

Sweet. Do you ever smoke a bird first then finish it up in their to crisp up the skin?

I got him this

Sweet. Do you ever smoke a bird first then finish it up in their to crisp up the skin?

Whole birds no, with smoked birds I don't worry about the skin being crispy.

Also, does anyone know a good source to have a logo drawn up? I made some pulled pork and chicken for a fund raiser a few weeks ago as a favor to a buddy of mine and now 3 different people are asking me to supply the same for small events for them. I figure maybe I should get some business cards just in case this progresses.

ETA - I know where to get the cards, but I want a caricature type logo like so many BBQ teams and joints have to put on the cards.

Check with [icon]? See if he has a graphics person he uses for his competition team t-shirts?

Check with [icon]? See if he has a graphics person he uses for his competition team t-shirts?

I do our graphics and did our logo, but i generally shy from cartoony type stuff.

My wife wrote some checks I'm going to need to cash next Saturday. A few years ago I steemed some ribs in the oven and she decided that was good enough to talk smack of a friend of the family who's a not to be messed with pit master.

I need to show up with three racks ready to be smoked/grilled. Help!

So I'm probably going with the best ribs ever method. What's the best rub/sauce combo going for sweet ribs

Edited by The Ref

It's amazing what 48 hours will do to some chicken breasts (or steak) if you thrown them in a zip lock back with some coke and teriyakisauce.

Don't get the coke wet.

I'm not a big fan of the taste of coke, but I just love the way it smells.

It's amazing what 48 hours will do to some chicken breasts (or steak) if you thrown them in a zip lock back with some coke and teriyakisauce.

Don't get the coke wet.

I'm not a big fan of the taste of coke, but I just love the way it smells.

2 days in a marinade with much acid based stuff will cook the #### out of it.

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design

I do our graphics and did our logo, but i generally shy from cartoony type stuff.

That is a great looking logo [icon].

What I'm thinking of calling whatever this is or might be DobieQ. I have 3 Dobermans and I like the sound of it.

I know you won't do it but I'd welcome any thoughts you or anyone else might have.

3 big, drooling Dobermans standing in front of a cow, chicken, and pig who are sweating and look scared to death with a smoker behind them. I can see it in my mind, but I'm not sure my description will make sense.

Edited by SteevieG

What I'm thinking of calling whatever this is or might be DobieQ. I have 3 Dobermans and I like the sound of it.

I know you won't do it but I'd welcome any thoughts you or anyone else might have.

3 big, drooling Dobermans standing in front of a cow, chicken, and pig who are sweating and look scared to death with a smoker behind them. I can see it in my mind, but I'm not sure my description will make sense.

Not to get all dooshy/lawyerly on this very cool effort, but if this thing progresses beyond close friends and family, there are likely a few significant regulatory/legal considerations to think about.

Thank you TF. That's just the kind of place I need.

Not to get all dooshy/lawyerly on this very cool effort, but if this thing progresses beyond close friends and family, there are likely a few significant regulatory/legal considerations to think about.

I'm sure there are. I just did the last one as a favor with no compensation other than about a half pound of pulled pork I kept for me. Now that you mention it I'm sure I can get in loads of trouble if something happens or someone gets sick.

Still waiting on recommendations for best baby back rib rub. Going for a sweet honey sauce at the end.

Thanks

see post 460

Rub acquired. Also got two bottles of the sauce to get me over free shipping.

Still waiting on recommendations for best baby back rib rub. Going for a sweet honey sauce at the end.

Thanks

see post 460

Rub acquired. Also got two bottles of the sauce to get me over free shipping.

Enjoy

Thanks!

Sounds like a cool concept. Definitely look into Fiverr or Freelance.com or any similar freelance crowdsourcing site. Be cautious for crappy clip-art concepts.. but you usually can count on a diamond or two in the rough.

I'm a terrible cartoonist, so you would not want my assistance, however I know a world-class one if those sites fail you. He would likely charge a few hundred bucks, but given hes a professional, syndicated cartoonist who's diverse range of styles has him doing tons of publication covers and such.

Edited by [icon]

Thank you TF. That's just the kind of place I need.

:thumbup: My buddy got a pretty good logo made for his home brew for like $5

Almost a sin to talk about the lowly boneless, skinless breast in here but I did a marinade last night that was Frank's, Cholula, Honey, worcestershire, dried mango flakes, salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and oil that was pretty damn good after I fired that thing up (gas with wood chips - wasn't lighting a chimney for a couple of breasts). Had it with bleu cheese crumbles with lettuce and tomato in a wrap.

Edited by Drifter

Just got some Dizzy Pig Raging River. Great alternative to Dizzy Dust, which I love too. I've only used it on chicken over the last 2 days but am looking forward to trying it on fish.

I either use this or 3 Eyez when I'm too lazy to make my own rubs.

Almost a sin to talk about the lowly boneless, skinless breast in here but I did a marinade last night that was Frank's, Cholula, Honey, worcestershire, dried mango flakes, salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and oil that was pretty damn good after I fired that thing up (gas with wood chips - wasn't lighting a chimney for a couple of breasts). Had it with bleu cheese crumbles with lettuce and tomato in a wrap.

Sooooo many ingredients!

Ok, so I've never made ribs myself. I'd like to give it a go this weekend. I have time, and a decent propane grill with "grill grates", but totally lost from there. Any thoughts? And don't go overboard, if there are more than 5 or 6 steps I'll just buy a rack or two from Outback to go....

Thanks!

Question for the more experienced bbq guys. Make a pulled pork, chicken, turkey, ribs and brisket. All get rave reviews on the flavor but I rarely get a good smoke ring. Using a WSM, Kingsford competition briquettes and chunk wood. I get really good smoke flavor, just not a good smoke ring.

Question for the more experienced bbq guys. Make a pulled pork, chicken, turkey, ribs and brisket. All get rave reviews on the flavor but I rarely get a good smoke ring. Using a WSM, Kingsford competition briquettes and chunk wood. I get really good smoke flavor, just not a good smoke ring.

HTH

Ok, so I've never made ribs myself. I'd like to give it a go this weekend. I have time, and a decent propane grill with "grill grates", but totally lost from there. Any thoughts? And don't go overboard, if there are more than 5 or 6 steps I'll just buy a rack or two from Outback to go....

Thanks!

• Turn on burner on far left or right side and confirm your main chamber (rest of grill) can hit 225-250 without too much issue.

If you want to add smoke, check out this video (wood chips in foil pack method)

The ribs:

• Get baby/loin back slabs. Rub with BBQ Rub (As megla has stated, Rendezvous is excellent if available). At least an hour or so in advance. Overnight (wrap in cellophane) if you want.

Place ribs on grill away from flame source and cook for 2 hours. No need to flip as long as no ribs are too close to the heat source.

• Remove ribs, wrap each in foil and return to heat ( add parkay/honey/bbqsauce if you want) for 1 hour or so.

• Remove from foil and return to grill for another hour or so.

• When meat has pulled back from bones about 1/2" or so then you can add any BBQ sauce you want and let them cook for a bit longer.

DONE TEST:

• Rack is done when you pick it up in the center and the whole slab bends down past 45 degrees or so. If it's falling apart you overcooked them.

• I like a secondary "tear test" (grab two bones and pull in different directions perpendicular to the slab). IF they tear clean from the bone with a little resistance they're done.

RESTING:

I like to let the ribs rest in a foil tent for 15 mins or so before cutting/eating.

TLDR:

• Rub ribs and cook (smoke?) indirect at 225-250 for 2 hours.

• Foil each slab and continue indirect cooking for 1 hour

• Unfoil and finish for about 1 hour or till getting close to done... sauce 15-30 mins before done.

• Test for done-ness, pull slabs, and let rest for 15 mins in foil tent before cutting/serving.

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

Ok so I suppose I really can't give a full recommendation for the Rendezvous RUB yet until I get through the whole process on Saturday. That said I'm ready to give the Rendezvous Sauce two thumbs up. I had to add some stuff to the Amazon order to get free shipping so I picked up a few bottles of the sauce and WOW. Reminds me of the sauce they use back in Boston on roast beef sandwiches. Bought a roasted chicken at Costco when I went to buy the ribs today and I cracked open one of the sauce bottles and I was very impressed.

I'm a little early but I did open up the 3 pack of baby back ribs, removed the membranes, dried them off, rubbed them down and individually plastic wrapped them. The rub smells great, a nice red paprika based smell. I can't wait.

I think I'm going to keep them in the plastic wrap and also wrap them in foil and bake them at 225 for three hours and then do the last hour on the grill at 275.

Looking for advice on salmon fillets. I took 3 large sockeye and a coho out of Lake Michigan this morning and now have an impromptu family party tomorrow. The hard part for me is always the timing, not overcooked but not raw on the inside. I typically just add salt, pepper and olive oil, grill meat side down over high heat for 2-3 min, then flip and finish skin side down, usually 5-7 more minutes.

Tia

Looking for advice on salmon fillets. I took 3 large sockeye and a coho out of Lake Michigan this morning and now have an impromptu family party tomorrow. The hard part for me is always the timing, not overcooked but not raw on the inside. I typically just add salt, pepper and olive oil, grill meat side down over high heat for 2-3 min, then flip and finish skin side down, usually 5-7 more minutes.

Tia

mmmm perfect opportunity for cedar plank. Make sure you soak it for at least three hours before you put it on the grill. Great smokey flavor. I like it with either blackening seasoning or with a mustard based topping. Super jealous of you right now!

• Like 2

I think I'm going to keep them in the plastic wrap and also wrap them in foil and bake them at 225 for three hours and then do the last hour on the grill at 275.

I'm not so sure about keeping them in plastic wrap in the oven :unsure:

Tia

Your approach seems fine. I love dill and fennel with salmon though.

It seems to me people fear under cooked fish and usually dry it out being sure it's fully cooked. Raw fish can be really good so I fear over cooking my fish.

Fish is a bit of an art because telling someone x minutes on one side and y on the other is only helpful with exact portions and heat. Otherwise it varies. The art is going by look and feel. I've pan seared salmon on high heat and served decent sized steaks in under five minutes. I've low temp baked similar steaks for over 30 minutes and they were good too.

I like grilling fillets skin side down and covered and never turning. I test the thickest part for flakiness often after about ten minutes. As soon as it flakes it's done.

It's almost a cheat, but salt pepper dill fennel rubbed equal portions wrapped in grape leaves is almost bullet proof because the meat steams which gives a longer window for perfection. The grape leaves should be lightly charred on both sides. I move them to indirect heat a batch at a time (limited space) and baste the lower temp ones with butter and olive oil until the whole mess is right. Man, I'm hungry.

• Like 1

Tia

mmmm perfect opportunity for cedar plank. Make sure you soak it for at least three hours before you put it on the grill. Great smokey flavor. I like it with either blackening seasoning or with a mustard based topping. Super jealous of you right now!

Or this!