What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

OMFG.... Half hour to go on the grill. The ribs look and smell incredible.

And yes - the plastic wrap steams the ribs and keeps the moisture in. I keep them in for 20 min more and keep the temp down to 195. I did this 4-5 years ago and they came out great but I didn't rub them or buy special sauce. I can already tell this is going to be a much better experience.

Looking for advice on salmon fillets. I took 3 large sockeye and a coho out of Lake Michigan this morning and now have an impromptu family party tomorrow. The hard part for me is always the timing, not overcooked but not raw on the inside. I typically just add salt, pepper and olive oil, grill meat side down over high heat for 2-3 min, then flip and finish skin side down, usually 5-7 more minutes.

Tia
mmmm perfect opportunity for cedar plank. Make sure you soak it for at least three hours before you put it on the grill. Great smokey flavor. I like it with either blackening seasoning or with a mustard based topping. Super jealous of you right now!
Or this!
I know we are talking apples/oranges here, but the one full proof method I found for salmon filets--especially large ones on the grill, is wrapping in Reynolds wrap (scale side down to the foil) with some lemon slices. However the secret method to keeping the fish moist is mayo--just brush a little on the fish and they come out amazing.

I had my heart set on some short ribs for tomorrow but my butcher doesn't have them. He said they're too expensive right now. :kicksrock:

I'll have to look somewhere else or maybe just do some sausage and peppers

Chaos Commish said:
[icon] said:
The Ref said:
I think I'm going to keep them in the plastic wrap and also wrap them in foil and bake them at 225 for three hours and then do the last hour on the grill at 275.
I'm not so sure about keeping them in plastic wrap in the oven :unsure:
I googled the #### out of that and I guess it's okay? Lots of love out there and health concerns kind of debunked?
Huh. Ya Learn something new everyday. Not sure I'd be comfortable with it, but as long as our GB ref isn't poisoning himself then I'm intrigued to see the results :)

Question - planning to smoke a couple of pork butts for a Sunday afternoon get-together in a few weeks. Rather than getting up at that ###-crack of Don, would they suffer much if I smoked/pulled them the day before and then refrigerated in foil trays and reheated on Sunday?

If that will work, could I do the same with a Friday smoke and keep the pork for 2 days?

Question - planning to smoke a couple of pork butts for a Sunday afternoon get-together in a few weeks. Rather than getting up at that ###-crack of Don, would they suffer much if I smoked/pulled them the day before and then refrigerated in foil trays and reheated on Sunday?

If that will work, could I do the same with a Friday smoke and keep the pork for 2 days?
Meathead has some comments/tips on "cook today, serve tomorrow" -- http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cook_today_serve_tomorrow.html

Meathead has some comments/tips on "cook today, serve tomorrow" -- http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cook_today_serve_tomorrow.html
Good stuff there, thanks.

I think I'm going to keep them in the plastic wrap and also wrap them in foil and bake them at 225 for three hours and then do the last hour on the grill at 275.
I'm not so sure about keeping them in plastic wrap in the oven :unsure:
I googled the #### out of that and I guess it's okay? Lots of love out there and health concerns kind of debunked?
Huh. Ya Learn something new everyday. Not sure I'd be comfortable with it, but as long as our GB ref isn't poisoning himself then I'm intrigued to see the results :)
Yeah everyone still lives, and they were still talking about them on social media all week. They rally were meat off the bone ribs and the flavor was great.

I think now I'm just going to bite the bullet and get up early. I may try to find smaller butts and cook 3 instead of 2 larger ones. That should save some time, as the smoker is plenty big (5 @ 20" cooking grates)

Anyone have a favorite way to do a pork loin?
Slice it open. Stuff with feta cheese and fresh spinach. Tie back up. Season the outside. Reverse sear it.
To this I would also use a sweet glaze combining apple juice, honey, maple syrup, orange marmalade and pinapple juice. This mop goes well with any creole seasoning such as

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Tony-Chacheres-Original-Creole-Seasoning-8oz-P946.aspx?gclid=CIW6zfn8m8YCFYOPHwodawsMQQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever done the beef "Dino Ribs"? They are the ribs most places cut into short ribs, but not cut down yet. Monstrous things.

Yeah everyone still lives, and they were still talking about them on social media all week. They rally were meat off the bone ribs and the flavor was great.
Glad it turned out great! :thumbup:

Just one heads-up... while there is a saying about "falling off the bone" with positive connotation.. that is actually a sign of an overcooked rib (ie: Very expensive pulled pork). Generally speaking you want to stop cooking when the meat pulls clean from the bone wtih a bit of a tug... stopping before the meat is "falling off the bone" with little effort.

Not to say you can't cook them in any manner your prefer... just throwing that out there. Ribs with a bit of bounce to them taste better , to me. YMMV. Regardless... congrats on the successful cook!

Spread eagle, legs in the air...
:golfclap:

Thanks for all the suggestions.... ended up grilling over low-direct heat until it hit 145 then foiling and resting for 30 minutes (very juicy). Served with fresh-made chimichurri sauce. :thumbup:
whats your chimichurri recipe?
I just eyeball it. 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, 5-6 cloves of garlic, EVOO, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, S&P. Throw it in a food processor. Keep adding liquids until its the right consistency. Hard to go wrong and really good with any grilled meat.

Spread eagle, legs in the air...
:golfclap:

Thanks for all the suggestions.... ended up grilling over low-direct heat until it hit 145 then foiling and resting for 30 minutes (very juicy). Served with fresh-made chimichurri sauce. :thumbup:
whats your chimichurri recipe?
I just eyeball it. 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, 5-6 cloves of garlic, EVOO, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, S&P. Throw it in a food processor. Keep adding liquids until its the right consistency. Hard to go wrong and really good with any grilled meat.
sounds just like mine. yeah I agree its delicious

Question for the more experienced bbq guys. Make a pulled pork, chicken, turkey, ribs and brisket. All get rave reviews on the flavor but I rarely get a good smoke ring. Using a WSM, Kingsford competition briquettes and chunk wood. I get really good smoke flavor, just not a good smoke ring.
Do you stir your coals at all during the cook? Something I notice with the WSM is the amount of smoke seems to dissipate after about an hour or two. After a couple hours I'll usually stir the coals, leave the front door open for a few minutes to let more oxygen in, and add another chunk or two of wood. Do that every couple hours or so thereafter to get constant smoke.

Question for the more experienced bbq guys. Make a pulled pork, chicken, turkey, ribs and brisket. All get rave reviews on the flavor but I rarely get a good smoke ring. Using a WSM, Kingsford competition briquettes and chunk wood. I get really good smoke flavor, just not a good smoke ring.
Do you stir your coals at all during the cook? Something I notice with the WSM is the amount of smoke seems to dissipate after about an hour or two. After a couple hours I'll usually stir the coals, leave the front door open for a few minutes to let more oxygen in, and add another chunk or two of wood. Do that every couple hours or so thereafter to get constant smoke.
Yep I do do that. As soon as I notice smoke stop coming out of the lid I stir and add more wood. Tried a new variant of the minion this weekend. Mixed wood in with charcoal in layers. Helped a ton. Also, I used more hickory this time around.

Yep I do do that. As soon as I notice smoke stop coming out of the lid I stir and add more wood. Tried a new variant of the minion this weekend. Mixed wood in with charcoal in layers. Helped a ton. Also, I used more hickory this time around.
I was under the impression that you're not supposed to see smoke coming out of the lid with the WSM.

THis is what I was going to suggest if you were using the ninion method, I add the charcoal and wood chunks toghter in a seperate box and then add them to the coal ring to get a good even dispersal

I was under the impression that you're not supposed to see smoke coming out of the lid with the WSM.
White smoke is bad, blue smoke is good,

Glad it turned out great! :thumbup:

Just one heads-up... while there is a saying about "falling off the bone" with positive connotation.. that is actually a sign of an overcooked rib (ie: Very expensive pulled pork). Generally speaking you want to stop cooking when the meat pulls clean from the bone wtih a bit of a tug... stopping before the meat is "falling off the bone" with little effort.

Not to say you can't cook them in any manner your prefer... just throwing that out there. Ribs with a bit of bounce to them taste better , to me. YMMV. Regardless... congrats on the successful cook!
Good stuff and I appreciate the feedback. They seemed to pull clean from the lower part of the bone and stayed connected near the top.

Had the local BBQ yesterday and mine were definitely better.

I think now I'm just going to bite the bullet and get up early. I may try to find smaller butts and cook 3 instead of 2 larger ones. That should save some time, as the smoker is plenty big (5 @ 20" cooking grates)
Test run today with about a 5-pounder.

So I made a second batch of ribs yesterday and they were a smash hit. Now the crowd wants me to make them again for our group party in a few weeks...... Only think is the host is Jewish and is requesting beef instead of pork ribs.

I think it's a realistic request.... So anyone have any suggestions?

The Ref said:
So I made a second batch of ribs yesterday and they were a smash hit. Now the crowd wants me to make them again for our group party in a few weeks...... Only think is the host is Jewish and is requesting beef instead of pork ribs.

Tell him that there is no God and that pigs are delicious.

Getting a small brisket, some pork chops, and chicken for a BBQ on Sunday. I don't have a smoker so I will "low and slow" the brisket in the oven, slice half to throw on the grill with a bit of homemade BBQ sauce for a minute or so. Shred the rest, coat in a different homemade BBQ (Porter based) and throw on the Blackstone griddle for a bit.

I am making Alabama BBQ sauce for the chicken. A few of the pork chops will likely get the Porter BBQ, while I will leave a few with just salt and pepper for people to sauce as they prefer.

Making a side of grilled potatoes and beer cheese. Also making a side of grilled Brussels sprouts.

Will have extra beer cheese to dip veggies and chips in, or pour onto the BBQ sandwiches as I will have a few toasted buns of various types.

Looking forward to it.

I'm going to do about 30# of pork butt on Sunday for a party. Getting them cut down to the 5-pound each range for a little faster cook.

HIM: "Hey will you go out of your way to cook a ton of food for the guests of my party... but I need you to complete change everything up because of my wacky religious beliefs that dictate my (and by extension, everyone else's) diet."

ME: "Cook your own ribs, buddy"

or

Cook pork ribs and tell him they're beef ribs from Waygu cattle so they run smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
BGE is not portable so I smoked 5 racks of ribs last night, let them cool then foiled and put them in the fridge. What's the best reheat strategy? Was thinking I'd throw them in a 250 oven for a bit then glaze them and throw them on the gas grill. Thoughts? Wondering how they'll compare to if we ate them right off of the smoker.

BGE is not portable so I smoked 5 racks of ribs last night, let them cool then foiled and put them in the fridge. What's the best reheat strategy? Was thinking I'd throw them in a 250 oven for a bit then glaze them and throw them on the gas grill. Thoughts? Wondering how they'll compare to if we ate them right off of the smoker.
Same basic concept we used for our's this year at Memphis in may. I reheated at 220 for about 45 minutes in our industrial size smoker using the propane (no smoke, basically an oven at that point) then let them sit in the Yetti until served. Worked perfect.

I've got ~24# of pork butt outside in the smoker right now to eat at the tailgate for the US Men's game vs Guatemala tomorrow. It was supposed to rain all day, and was pouring this morning, so I set up a canopy overhead in case it started raining.

But the sky is all clear so now I just look crazy to my neighbors, because I'm smoking under a canopy for no apparent reason.

http://i62.tinypic.com/35jb1mv.jpg

For the rub I went with

1/4 cup Paprika

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/5 cup Garlic Powder

1/5 cup Onion Powder

3 TBSP Cumin

3 TBSP Salt

2 TBSP Black Powder

1 TBSP Cayenne

2 TSP Dry Mustard

It's my go-to rub when smoking pork, always gets rave reviews and has the perfect level of heat to it.

I've got 6 chickens on the smoker that I'm taking to a party later. Can I just throw them in a cooler and carve/pull there, or will they continue to cook and get dry?

I've got 6 chickens on the smoker that I'm taking to a party later. Can I just throw them in a cooler and carve/pull there, or will they continue to cook and get dry?
Maybe pull them a few degrees before "done" and wrap in heavy foil to keep teh juice?

Made a "jacket" for my smoker out of a water-heater blanket (non-fiberglass). Should help if I run into another cold/windy day like last week.

Pull when hot. Poultry does NOT pull as well when cold. How long are we talking here. I'd likely pull, then pack tight in gallon ziplock bags and reheat in boiling water in a big pan or turkey fryer when you get there. Maybe toss in a very light amount of your finishing sauce when bagging.

Users who are viewing this thread