What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Ughhh...igniter is broken--so going to manually light. it is a four burner and one of the areas seems to be a little less hot than the others. Going to try and cook stuff here, but I am worried about it. 

I bought a 14 inch WSM for $60 while I wait for an 18 or 22 at a good price. 

So far I’ve been impressed with the results.  Doing a butt this weekend as a test run before I do 2 for my sons grad party 

Going to fire up the new grill today for the first time. We bought it during winter on a great sale. My concern is we had a monster blizzard with winds close to 100 mph that picked up this huge grill and threw it close to 15-20 feet across the yard. I went and got a new propane tank just because i didn’t trust the old tank to not be damaged during its “flight”. Man, I hope there isn’t something damaged in this thing and I end up in the ER. 
I would be concerned about the regulator.   When you turn the gas on listen for leaks.  

Talk to me about pellet smokers.  I have an 18in WSM which i love but we need a grill as well for quick stuff.  And frankly i havent used the WSM much in the last year mostly due to time constraints.  I like the pellet smokers as the ease of use factor is appealing now that i have a young kid and less time to tend fire/clean the wsm.  The idea of just dialing in a temp and letting it go is what i am looking for.  But also want something that can do normal grill stuffs like burgers and steaks.  I know some of the pellet grills struggle searing.  Also a concern is whether i can get enough smoke on stuff(i know some traegers have a super smoke setting, not sure about the other brands).

So in the 1-2k range what are my best options.  I know traeger but i know there are some other competitors out there like rec tec, camp chef, yoder, etc.  Anyone have any of these?  Thoughts/suggestions?  The Ironwood Series 650 Pellet Grill seems about right size wise for me.  But i'm most concerned with ease of use, smoke and getting to higher temps when i want to sear in that order.  :popcorn:

Talk to me about pellet smokers.  I have an 18in WSM which i love but we need a grill as well for quick stuff.  And frankly i havent used the WSM much in the last year mostly due to time constraints.  I like the pellet smokers as the ease of use factor is appealing now that i have a young kid and less time to tend fire/clean the wsm.  The idea of just dialing in a temp and letting it go is what i am looking for.  But also want something that can do normal grill stuffs like burgers and steaks.  I know some of the pellet grills struggle searing.  Also a concern is whether i can get enough smoke on stuff(i know some traegers have a super smoke setting, not sure about the other brands).

So in the 1-2k range what are my best options.  I know traeger but i know there are some other competitors out there like rec tec, camp chef, yoder, etc.  Anyone have any of these?  Thoughts/suggestions?  The Ironwood Series 650 Pellet Grill seems about right size wise for me.  But i'm most concerned with ease of use, smoke and getting to higher temps when i want to sear in that order.  :popcorn:
I love the features of the Rec Tec Bull.  

PinkydaPimp said:

I bought a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett for the portability factor.  While it was being shipped, I saw a mint Jim Bowie model on CL for a steal, so I bought it and flipped the new DC.  I bought pellets from two dealers and they both had Rec Tec and swore by them.  Just lifting the handle, you can tell the steel gauge is much thicker and they are built like a tank.  If I was willing to fork over $1-2k, I'd go with a Rec Tec.  Others in this thread are far more knowledgeable than me but that's my personal experience in the last month.  Cheers.

I just don't think I can get rid of my 22" WSM. I may add something else to the collection. I have plenty of room though so it would be an easy decision for me. 

I bought a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett for the portability factor.  While it was being shipped, I saw a mint Jim Bowie model on CL for a steal, so I bought it and flipped the new DC.  I bought pellets from two dealers and they both had Rec Tec and swore by them.  Just lifting the handle, you can tell the steel gauge is much thicker and they are built like a tank.  If I was willing to fork over $1-2k, I'd go with a Rec Tec.  Others in this thread are far more knowledgeable than me but that's my personal experience in the last month.  Cheers.
You know i do keep seeing the green mountain mentioned.  I need to check that out as well.  Right now, the rec tec and the Camp Chef are looking that what i am leaning towards now. 

You know i do keep seeing the green mountain mentioned.  I need to check that out as well.  Right now, the rec tec and the Camp Chef are looking that what i am leaning towards now. 
I know you mentioned Traeger before.  I was considering one of those from Costco but after quite a bit of research I decided to steer away from that brand.

Check out your local CL periodically.  You may stumble across a nice, lightly/hardly used pellet smoker for a fraction off the retail pricing.

I know you mentioned Traeger before.  I was considering one of those from Costco but after quite a bit of research I decided to steer away from that brand.

Check out your local CL periodically.  You may stumble across a nice, lightly/hardly used pellet smoker for a fraction off the retail pricing.
Yea thats kind of where i am now.  I was all set on a Traeger, but the more i read about them, while the features sound nice, the construction seems to be lacking compared to other brands like rec tec, camp chef and GMG.  Plus most of those have all the features that the traeger has minus the better App from what i can tell. 

Managing that is a real thing. I caught the whole thing on fire with the first system we created. :bag:  
That is a nice set up. What is that like 500 lbs. of meat? on Hickory?

Well I have my one 8 lb shoulder and some chops I'm doing this weekend but nothing like your cook. You should have some happy people in the near future.

Well I have my one 8 lb shoulder and some chops I'm doing this weekend but nothing like your cook. You should have some happy people in the near future.
I can easily to 64 Boston Butt shoulders. So right around 500 pounds.

This was just 48 today so about 375 pounds.

It's for a thing we do where I cook for the Homeless folks in downtown Knoxville. I love it that the best BBQ in Knoxville once a month is free. 

Look at all of that drippings. 

OMG
Here's what we came up with for a good way to drain the fat drippings.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VDLvimP

The floor of cooking chamber is angled to the outside front corners where there is a pipe with a valve. Then I have a hook on the pipe to hold the metal pail to collect the drippings. Works pretty well. Better in the summer when it stays liquid. When it's cold it's harder to manage as it solidifies in the bucket. Either way, you have to get it out of the chamber and away from the heat so not to risk a fire.

BBQ is BBQ. Doesn't matter if it's 8 pounds or 80 or 800. It's just scale. The experience is the same. 

Oddly enough, it's actually easier to cook on a big cooker like this as things move slower. The fire I burn is about like you'd burn in a home fireplace. It's easier to manage a fire that size than a very small fire. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what we came up with for a good way to drain the fat drippings.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VDLvimP

The floor of cooking chamber is angled to the outside front corners where there is a pipe with a valve. Then I have a hook on the pipe to hold the metal pail to collect the drippings. Works pretty well. Better in the summer when it stays liquid. When it's cold it's harder to manage as it solidifies in the bucket. Either way, you have to get it out of the chamber and away from the heat so not to risk a fire.
That is a pretty resourceful way to deal with the fat. How quick does that pale fill up with 375 lbs. that you have on there today?

Kingsford seems to be laying a turd this holiday weekend. Checked Lowe's and Home Depot - 2 bags for like $23.00. 

WalMart doesn't even have it. This year they have the Royal Oak two pack for like $8.88 or something. That stuff any good?

That is a pretty resourceful way to deal with the fat. How quick does that pale fill up with 375 lbs. that you have on there today?
It'll generate about 5 gallons of drippings for 500 pounds of raw pork shoulders. So above a hot fire, it's a thing. It's a priority this works right. 

I can easily to 64 Boston Butt shoulders. So right around 500 pounds.

This was just 48 today so about 375 pounds.

It's for a thing we do where I cook for the Homeless folks in downtown Knoxville. I love it that the best BBQ in Knoxville once a month is free. 
Well Joe, looks like I completely forgot about coming help you serve tonight.  I will make it a point to get up there for one of these.  

ChiefD said:
Kingsford seems to be laying a turd this holiday weekend. Checked Lowe's and Home Depot - 2 bags for like $23.00. 

WalMart doesn't even have it. This year they have the Royal Oak two pack for like $8.88 or something. That stuff any good?
Went to both stores looking to stock up. Will go back this weekend.

ChiefD said:

Went to both stores looking to stock up. Will go back this weekend.
Costco has two bags of competition on sale :shrug:

Joe Bryant said:
No worries Buddy. We do this every month. Check with me to plan. It's usually the last Wednesday of the month unless (like this month) I have to juggle. I think in June it may be early too and we'll serve on 6/19
Kudos Joe. That's a great service that you are doing for your community. 

I know it’s somewhere in these 113 pages, but does anyone have a recipe for Alabama white sauce for wings?  Busting out the smoker and deep fryer this weekend and wanted to try something different. 

@TheFanatic thoughts on time for smoking a ~4lb boneless rib roast at 250? 3-4 hours?
Sorry, May is my absolute busiest time of the year. It's the 24th today and I think my last day off was some time in April. And I get to finish the month off with a pig roast for 100 on Sunday. Did I mention rain is expected all day?

The answer to your question is till it's done. Go by temp not time and then wrap in foil and a towel and put in a cooler. It will be perfect for 2-3 hours in there. So always shoot for early and take the stress off yourself. 

I hope it came out well. Oh, is that pork or beef?

Go for the Camp Chef Woodwind with a side sear station. That sear station is an absolute game changer. 

I've used a lot of these grills, and been paid at one point or another for a couple of the companies you list and that's the one I'd go with. I don't get paid by any of them anymore. 

I'll tell you this. I ran into the Green Mountain brand manager at Memphis in May last weekend. Great dude, and I love their grills, but sear station is my hang up. They make great grills. They don't have any. They completely sold out of their stock in April and are waiting for more right now. 

I have my annual shindig this weekend. It's no where close to what @[icon] did last week. Holy balls, fellas. I cannot give it justice with mere words. All I will say is this. Half of MiM is just a big party. With booth after booth set up like a badass night club, and Icon's tops them all. And that's just the party side. The food side is wicked awesome too. Reminds me, I have one more post for you, GB. 

So my shindig is a whole hog for 100. Last year we had 100 and were worried we wouldn't have enough food with a hundred pound hog plus sides so we threw on two shoulders with the pig. We learned a lesson. Shoulders from a regular size hog (close to 300 hog), cook much slower than an entire 100 pound pig. Also, a 100 pounder will easily feed 100. 

The pig is a berkshire pig that once it gets big enough to not be taken by the vultures, is let loose in an oak forest to live out its days munching on acorns all day. Right before harvest they are fattened up a bit. It's absolutely amazing. 

We butterfly the pig out and cook him on his back, skin on. We cook it directly over the fire with about 8 layers of foil in between to act as a deflector just like the plate setter in kamado. 60 lbs of charcoal goes under the shoulders and 40 under the hams. Pear wood logs go in as well. 

5-6 hours later she is done. Gotta foil after about 3 hours or the skin will get too dark. This isn't for flavor. The skin doesn't burn, but it doesn't look great. 

The real star of the show though are these beans. I need to do a separate recipe card with serving sizes that are for less than 50. That will happen this summer. Every year I hear, "The pig is fantastic, but you could serve plain bologna sandwiches with yellow mustard with these beans and we will be here."

The bounce house is ordered, the keg is in my car right now (extra beer too), six 8 foot tables and 60 chairs are rented and behind my house, the grill will be at my place tomorrow, the pig is in a restaurant cooler right now, aaaannnnnnddddd it's expected to rain all friggin weekend. Wish me luck, say a prayer, whatever. I need the good vibes. 

TheFanatic said:
I have my annual shindig this weekend. It's no where close to what @[icon] did last week. Holy balls, fellas. I cannot give it justice with mere words. All I will say is this. Half of MiM is just a big party. With booth after booth set up like a badass night club, and Icon's tops them all. And that's just the party side. The food side is wicked awesome too. Reminds me, I have one more post for you, GB. 

So my shindig is a whole hog for 100. Last year we had 100 and were worried we wouldn't have enough food with a hundred pound hog plus sides so we threw on two shoulders with the pig. We learned a lesson. Shoulders from a regular size hog (close to 300 hog), cook much slower than an entire 100 pound pig. Also, a 100 pounder will easily feed 100. 

The pig is a berkshire pig that once it gets big enough to not be taken by the vultures, is let loose in an oak forest to live out its days munching on acorns all day. Right before harvest they are fattened up a bit. It's absolutely amazing. 

We butterfly the pig out and cook him on his back, skin on. We cook it directly over the fire with about 8 layers of foil in between to act as a deflector just like the plate setter in kamado. 60 lbs of charcoal goes under the shoulders and 40 under the hams. Pear wood logs go in as well. 

5-6 hours later she is done. Gotta foil after about 3 hours or the skin will get too dark. This isn't for flavor. The skin doesn't burn, but it doesn't look great. 

The real star of the show though are these beans. I need to do a separate recipe card with serving sizes that are for less than 50. That will happen this summer. Every year I hear, "The pig is fantastic, but you could serve plain bologna sandwiches with yellow mustard with these beans and we will be here."

The bounce house is ordered, the keg is in my car right now (extra beer too), six 8 foot tables and 60 chairs are rented and behind my house, the grill will be at my place tomorrow, the pig is in a restaurant cooler right now, aaaannnnnnddddd it's expected to rain all friggin weekend. Wish me luck, say a prayer, whatever. I need the good vibes. 
Good luck!

TheFanatic said:
Go for the Camp Chef Woodwind with a side sear station. That sear station is an absolute game changer. 

I've used a lot of these grills, and been paid at one point or another for a couple of the companies you list and that's the one I'd go with. I don't get paid by any of them anymore. 
Thanks @TheFanatic.   Was waiting your feedback since i know you have tested a bunch of these.  right now its between the camp chef, Mak 1 and rec tec bull.  Camp Chef would be the choice but no wifi or PID and not stainless steel however the price is right.  i hear Wifi is coming this summer.  Mak 1 looks perfect(im told it gets alot of smoke too) but is 3 times the price of the Camp Chef and the wifi sounds like its not great yet.  Rec Tec seems solid.  But not sure it can really be a grill like the CC Searbox/side kick or the Mak 1 FlameZone.

Decisions decisions.  How was the Camp Chef on getting enough smoke into the food? I tend to smoke hot and fast on my WSM but is that even possible on the CC?  I think smoke mode is around 225.

I saw a MAK at the local grill shop the other day. Looked well-built but one ugly sum#####.  The Yoder is built like a tank but $$$.

No firm plans yet but went to the butcher and got it covered. 

2 country backs if it's just me and the wife. 4 spencers if we go to a friend's. And 4 long shorts if we have company.  

No firm plans yet but went to the butcher and got it covered. 

2 country backs if it's just me and the wife. 4 spencers if we go to a friend's. And 4 long shorts if we have company.  
I assume "country backs" are country style ribs, and "spencers" are ribeyes, but what on earth are "long shorts"?

Users who are viewing this thread