Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At Memphis in May I Hosted Roberto Mora, owner and head chef of El Mercado and Cuci Suco BBQ pit in Cuenca, Equador. He came in for the festival and commented on our IG page so I reached out and exten

Here we go, fellas...tried something today Ive never done before...pork belly burnt ends aka Meat Candy (Ive never done PB or BE at home), and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the Akorn. They both tu

Weekend cookout draft went well... some pics:  Our private barrel pick of Eagle Rare for 155th Airlift Squadron came in so popped one while prepping the meat.  Bush's Homestyle beans churched

17 hours ago, Worm said:

Ok boys. I need something to put me over the edge and win my annual neighborhood bbq competition. Pork shoulder only.

My standard is to rub 24 hours in advance and smoke with apple at 225. Wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, place in a cooler for a couple hours. Pull and serve. Have used a bunch of pre-made rubs.

It's always absolutely delicious but this competition is won by the pork that stands out. Whatcha got?

Inject it. 

How are entries submitted/judged? Is there a turn in box or is it just a pan of pulled pork? 

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Inject it. 

How are entries submitted/judged? Is there a turn in box or is it just a pan of pulled pork? 

Just a pan. Very informal friendly neighborhood comp. I just want to win for the bragging rights.

example of the crap comp guys do for pork butt boxes. This isn’t even a great one either: 

https://youtu.be/Weh-OloCeqM

For you, baste heavily after. Keep it warm. Dust with fine ground rub. 

Also pay attention to how fine you pull it. Too thin and it will dry out and cool off very quickly. Too large and it will not be as moist and will be a bit more chewy. 

Keep a pan of juices, sauce, butter, cider vinegar, rub... keep it on a camp stove and baste/toss with a bit of that sauce periodically. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, [icon] said:

example of the crap comp guys do for pork butt boxes. This isn’t even a great one either: 

Also pay attention to how fine you pull it. Too thin and it will dry out and cool off very quickly. Too large and it will not be as moist and will be a bit more chewy. 

Keep a pan of juices, sauce, butter, cider vinegar, rub... keep it on a camp stove and baste/toss with a bit of that sauce periodically. 

Good stuff thx gb!

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I got this from Moe Cason, so I can't take credit. The simple way to do this with any rub is to run the rub through a sieve right over the pork. That being said, I don't mess with this any more. I'm not trying to win a comp, so I just shake the rub all over the meat after its pulled. Makes a huge difference. 

18 hours ago, Worm said:

Ok boys. I need something to put me over the edge and win my annual neighborhood bbq competition. Pork shoulder only.

My standard is to rub 24 hours in advance and smoke with apple at 225. Wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, place in a cooler for a couple hours. Pull and serve. Have used a bunch of pre-made rubs.

It's always absolutely delicious but this competition is won by the pork that stands out. Whatcha got?

After it's pulled get a cast iron skillet piping hot on your gas grill.  Caramelize hand-fulls of the pork on both sides before putting it in your foil pan.  Basically carnitas, but you'll have the smokiness of your pork with significantly more "bark" than anyone else is going to provide. 

ETA:  I always foil in a pan after I get to about 165 so there ends up being a ton of juice in there.  After the time on the skillet I put the pork back in the pan with the leftover drippings so it doesn't dry out. 

Edited by Grahamburn
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

I got this from Moe Cason, so I can't take credit. The simple way to do this with any rub is to run the rub through a sieve right over the pork. That being said, I don't mess with this any more. I'm not trying to win a comp, so I just shake the rub all over the meat after its pulled. Makes a huge difference. 

I know "That's what she said" is a tired trope, but man, you can't set us up like that. 

43 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

@TheFanatic I noticed the other link did not work. Any advice on modifying this thing would be great. Hopefully this link works.

Thanks!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/347832771192252001/

How does it draw?  That stack looks very short. I would start with that and check and fix air leaks.

• Thanks 1

Just left butcher’s with two 3-bone beef plate ribs, USDA prime, at just over 10lbs of brisket-on-a-stick goodness!  Blues Hog Bold N Beefy for rub tomorrow and a six of Pulp Friction IPA to season me during the cook.  Happy Father’s Day tomorrow!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I feel like I am missing something but just in case - North American 

Because I screwed up the quote. I should have asked African or Eurooean (airspeed velocity of unladen swallow)

• Thanks 1

At Memphis in May I Hosted Roberto Mora, owner and head chef of El Mercado and Cuci Suco BBQ pit in Cuenca, Equador. He came in for the festival and commented on our IG page so I reached out and extended some hospitality. He had a blast. 

Last week he Reached out about having @tipsy mcstagger and I fly down all expenses paid to present American / southern slow & low bbq style at Ecuador’s largest grilling/bbq festival and competition. Apparently the style is just getting traction there. Each year they fly in a couple “celebrity” chefs/grillmasters from other countries. 

Hes also wanting to collaborate on a special menu/event at his restaurant(s) one evening while down there. 

Pretty damn excited. Never been to South America and definitely never had anyone pay us to come down for a week and help introduce a country to BBQ. 

Working out the details but looks like early September. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

At Memphis in May I Hosted Roberto Mora, owner and head chef of El Mercado and Cuci Suco BBQ pit in Cuenca, Equador. He came in for the festival and commented on our IG page so I reached out and extended some hospitality. He had a blast. 

Last week he Reached out about having @tipsy mcstagger and I fly down all expenses paid to present American / southern slow & low bbq style at Ecuador’s largest grilling/bbq festival and competition. Apparently the style is just getting traction there. Each year they fly in a couple “celebrity” chefs/grillmasters from other countries. 

Hes also wanting to collaborate on a special menu/event at his restaurant(s) one evening while down there. 

Pretty damn excited. Never been to South America and definitely never had anyone pay us to come down for a week and help introduce a country to BBQ. 

That's freaking awesome. Ya'll have fun.

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

This is awesome, but I will only allow it if you guarantee me this will actually be a vacation for Mr. McStagger and not another reason for him to work balls-to-the-wall. He must drink til he is suitably Staggeryey and then sleep for copious hours. Do not fail us, [icon].

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

This is awesome, but I will only allow it if you guarantee me this will actually be a vacation for Mr. McStagger and not another reason for him to work balls-to-the-wall. He must drink til he is suitably Staggeryey and then sleep for copious hours. Do not fail us, [icon].

Trust me when I say this trip would be FAR more R&R and an actual vacation.

He’s still looking into his schedule to be sure he can be away from the restaurant, but it’s absolutely a better time of the year to be away (unlike MIM and Hogs which are peak times). 

With grilling season here and Otis having a kick ### grill now installed into my outdoor kitchen, can I get a simple and idiot proof guide on how to cook a burger, a hot dog, a piece of grilled chicken and a steak?

TIA 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
3 hours ago, Otis said:

With grilling season here and Otis having a kick ### grill now installed into my outdoor kitchen, can I get a simple and idiot proof guide on how to cook a burger, a hot dog, a piece of grilled chicken and a steak?

TIA 

Get yourself a thermapen instant read therm, cotton glove liners (helps handling hot food), a box of nitrile gloves (size that fits over the liners). Swap gloves when handling diff foods. Keeps liners clean and eliminates contamination. 

Burgers are easy. Good beef. 1/2lb patty. Season with Montreal steak seasoning. Indentation in center w thumb (helps stop hockey-pucking). Flip once. Cook to medium rare. Maybe glaze with A1 or similar sauce if you’re feeling froggy. 

Hot dog: Nathan’s or Hebrew National all Beef Franks. A few shallow slits. Throw on grill. Flip. Dust with Tony C’s seasoning. 

Chicken: stick with skin-on when possible to minimize drying. I like thighs with toothpick holding skin back. You can brine but IMO it’s only really needed for breasts. Season. Cook skin up on indirect for ~30min until almost done (150-155 deg), then finish skin down for a few mins until skin is done. Put back on indirect skin up, sauce as desired, let sauce set. Serve. 

Steak: Good thick beef. Remove from fridge 1hr prior to cooking. Coarse salt both sides. Rinse off after 45min. Season with low sodium rub as needed (i just use black pepper with a bit of salt and granulated garlic). High heat, flip once. Cook most cuts to med rare (pull from grill at 140ish). Let rest 5-10mins w loose foil over it. Serve 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Otis said:

TIA 

You dont need gloves to grill dinner for the family. Start small and work your way up.

Turn the left side of the grill on high. Leave the right side off.

Hot dogs are already cooked, you're just warming them up. Start them in the left/middle area and move them to the right as they brown. Just dont blacken them. Same can be done in the last couple minutes for burger/dog rolls if you're toasting them on the grill.

Burgers and steaks both get a liberal coating of steak seasoning and are cooked over direct high heat (far left). Start small (4-6 burgers or a couple steaks). Dont overcrowd the area or you're going to have a grease fire. Most important advice I can give here is DONT TOUCH THEM! Put them on the grill and let them sit. Dont flip them, dont scootch them around with the spatula, dont smash them down, dont touch them at all. You want a crust on the outside and all the juice on the inside, and you wont get it if you're ####ing around with them. You want to let them sit for somewhere around 2-6 minutes on each side depending on how high your heat, how thick your meat is, and how you like your beef cooked. The same can be said for taking the beef off the grill. Be gentle. Dont flip them all around and poke them full of holes and smash them down and squeeze out all the juice before taking them off the grill. Take them off gently and let them rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting. A thermometer would help I suppose, but honestly, this is just something you'll have to practice and get a feel for. You can always throw them back on if they're not cooked enough.

One you've gotten comfortable with beef, come back and we can talk about chicken.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

You dont need gloves to grill dinner for the family. Start small and work your way up.

Hot dogs are already cooked, you're just warming them up. Start them in the left/middle area and move them to the right as they brown. Just dont blacken them. Same can be done in the last couple minutes for burger/dog rolls if you're toasting them on the grill.

Burgers and steaks both get a liberal coating of steak seasoning and are cooked over direct high heat (far left). Start small (4-6 burgers or a couple steaks). Dont overcrowd the area or you're going to have a grease fire. Most important advice I can give here is DONT TOUCH THEM! Put them on the grill and let them sit. Dont flip them, dont scootch them around with the spatula, dont smash them down, dont touch them at all. You want a crust on the outside and all the juice on the inside, and you wont get it if you're ####ing around with them. You want to let them sit for somewhere around 2-6 minutes on each side depending on how high your heat, how thick your meat is, and how you like your beef cooked. The same can be said for taking the beef off the grill. Be gentle. Dont flip them all around and poke them full of holes and smash them down and squeeze out all the juice before taking them off the grill. Take them off gently and let them rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting. A thermometer would help I suppose, but honestly, this is just something you'll have to practice and get a feel for. You can always throw them back on if they're not cooked enough.

One you've gotten comfortable with beef, come back and we can talk about chicken.

Yep. It's counter-intuitive but burgers are less likely to stick to grates if you let them properly sear in one spot for several minutes.  I shoot to get 85% ground beef and only season with S&P. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, Beef Ravioli said:

@TheFanatic I noticed the other link did not work. Any advice on modifying this thing would be great. Hopefully this link works.

Thanks!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/347832771192252001/

Here are a few mods for an offset that worked well for my Char-Griller back in the day. Mind you, this post is OLD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Brony said:

Yep. It's counter-intuitive but burgers are less likely to stick to grates if you let them properly sear in one spot for several minutes.  I shoot to get 85% ground beef and only season with S&P. 

Exactly. Let them release before flipping or turning. They will let you know when they are done searing. They will "let go" of the hot steel. Also, a little oil before putting them on helps a great deal with this. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Otis said:

TIA 

Simply follow the lead of the Ecuadorian chef: fly Icon and Tipsy in.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
15 hours ago, [icon] said:

This is badass. Well deserved my friend. 

One thing I would research is what's available in terms of meat and other ingredients you will need. You might want to bring your own rubs or grab some recipes for how to make BBQ sauce from ketchup, that sort of thing. Don't assume that if your favorite marinade requires Worcestershire sauce that there will be some available. Send ingredient lists down ahead of time to see what they can attain locally and bring down what you can or improvise. Maybe see if you can ship a box of ingredients down, but I just puckered at the thought of sending that box down in terms of shipping. Maybe see if your contact can help with that cost. 

• Thanks 1

My kids (my wife) gave me some grilling mats for fathers day.  I've never read much about them, and considered them a gimmick.  But now I've got to actually use them in the interests of marital harmony.  Does anyone use these?  Do they do anything useful?  What's the best use for these?  I have a BGE and a Weber Genesis.  The Weber almost never gets used, but I would clean it up and fire up the gas if that's what it takes to put these mats to use.

tia fgb's

So for Father's Day, my BiL hosts it every year right in the middle of the day so instead of having my folks and my sister and her kids come over to my BiL's I went out with dad for dinner on Friday. Had a 14 ounce Wagyu strip steak that was one of the best I've ever had. 

Sunday, all I did was Deck Breakfast. Fire up the American Muscle with a couple griddles on it, and made bacon and eggs for eight (my wife and kids and my MiL and FiL). I soooooo love deck breakfast. I keep wanting to make potato cakes but we rarely have mashed potatoes, and usually not any leftovers. I've decided that this week, I'm going to go get some from Kentucky Fried Chicken or the pre-made food case at the grocery store just for deck breakfast. 

Don't underestimate how great making breakfast is on the grill. Doesn't heat the house up. The kitchen doesn't smell like bacon grease for 2 days. My kids love it so it adds more family time not in front of a screen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

My kids (my wife) gave me some grilling mats for fathers day.  I've never read much about them, and considered them a gimmick.  But now I've got to actually use them in the interests of marital harmony.  Does anyone use these?  Do they do anything useful?  What's the best use for these?  I have a BGE and a Weber Genesis.  The Weber almost never gets used, but I would clean it up and fire up the gas if that's what it takes to put these mats to use.

tia fgb's

Never heard of them before, but I have a flat cast iron skillet that I love to use on the grill, especially for fish.  Love it.  

21 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

tia fgb's

They work great for fish and veggies. But don't expect the grill marks like they say they will produce. 

• Like 1

I thought I this thread as soon as I saw this.  Submissions are due by 6/19 midnight.  I'm sure a few people here could make the short list.

Wanted: Get paid $5,000 a week to travel the country seeking out the best ribs

Edited by Arizona Ron
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

I thought I this thread as soon as I saw this.  Submissions are due by 6/19 midnight.  I'm sure a few people here could make the short list.

Wanted: Get paid $5,000 a week to travel the country seeking out the best ribs

I'm definitely gonna apply for this. Firing up the Weber here in a little while so I will get an up to date pic.

The wife started her new job today so It's gonna be a couple of USDA Prime Filets, scallops, shrimp, and some zucchini. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

tia fgb's

I bought the as seen on TV grilling mats I think they might be copper at Walmart a couple years ago.

Grilled some fish fillets , they turned out good. 

I did not get the grill marks I was promised. I only used them once

• Like 2
9 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

This is the part I always struggle with.  You guys make it seem like you can sense the temp in the middle of the burger. I always kill them or undercook them. Drives me bonkers.