What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

My first effort smoking ribs.

They were very good compared to most ribs I've had.  Still, I think they were a little drier than ideal.  Maybe that is because it took me a while to figure out how to land at 225.  Kept bouncing between 250 and 210 trying to find the sweet spot.  All of my company enjoyed though. 👍 

Ribs didn’t turn out too good.  Second time in a row.  I did 2.5-2-1 and used butcher paper instead of foil.  Kept the smoker at 220-240, it was 225 most of the time.  

Too dry.  What am I doing wrong?
Maybe your overcooking them?  Honestly i don’t even wrap mine.  Smoker until they pass the bend test.  Usually they come out very juicy.  How far was the meat pulling off of the bones!

I usually do my babybacks 2.5 - 1.5 - 45 minutes at 250. 

I apply barbecue sauce mixed with bourbon and the rib rub multiple times on last segment.

I never used butcher paper so I can't comment on that.

How long is rub on for before placing on smoker? I usually don't do more than 30 minutes for fear they turn out hammy
I put the rub on maybe 15 minutes before I put on smoker. 

That definition makes grilling something separate, but here in the south “grilling” and “barbecuing” are interchangeable terms
There are a lot of people that get worked up about this. Most people have a Barbecue Grill. And on about 90% of Barbecue Grills, one can go low and slow and hot and fast. I tend to think of them as somewhat interchangeable. Most people don't have a dedicated smoker that just does low and slow. The vast majority of Americans only cook hot and fast (burgers and dogs and the occasional steak dinner). Most people, when heading out to cook something low and slow say, "I'm going to go fire up the grill." Most do not say, "I'm going to go fire up the barbecue." At least not in this country. In a lot of other counties, "firing up the barbecue," is more prevalent than, "firing up the grill." Sure, one implies much lower temps and much longer cook times, but both can be done on most grills, patio bistro grills, not withstanding. 

People that get all worked up about this are the same people that get their undies in a bunch about what condiments people put on their processed meat tube in a bun. Why would anyone care what someone else's personal preference is? In the end, it's really not that big of a deal and more so, not something to worry about. 

shuke said:
Ribs didn’t turn out too good.  Second time in a row.  I did 2.5-2-1 and used butcher paper instead of foil.  Kept the smoker at 220-240, it was 225 most of the time.  

Try 2, 1, 1 next time. 

shuke said:
Just used whats in the lid of the Weber.  
NNNNO! BAD SHUKE! 

Get a multi-probe thermometer. Use one probe on the grates (they have clips to hold it). 

I’ve not seen the benefit of butcher paper for pork ribs.. prefer foil. Apple juice works but try parkay + brown sugar + tiger sauce. Also make sure ribs are top down in the foil and do not puncture it. Double layer of foil helps. You want that braising effect. 

Next time try an instant read before pulling.. you want 200-203. That should help rule out over/under cooking. 

Also time guides like 2-1-1 are great starting points but honestly you need to let the meat tell you when it’s done: 

- pick up the slab in center by tongs. Should sag >45 deg but not fall apart. 

- should be able to pick up by two ends without slab falling apart, but should droop well.

- usually good pullback (~1/2”+) of bone tips

- grab two bones and “tear” opposite directions perpendicular to the line of the slab... want a slight resistance tug then the meat to pull clean from the bone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the last prime brisket from Costco on the 3rd. Only a 10 pounder. It was too big to go on the Akorn as a whole brisket, so I lopped off the flat at the edge of the point. I went simple. Salt, pepper and Meat Church's Deez Nuts pecan rub.

On a side note about the rub. First off, my kids LOVE the rub. More so for the name than anything. The older two boys being 9 and 11. I love it too for the name. As I'm hauling in my beans last night, I got to say to my oldest, "Hey grab the tongs, foil and Deez Nuts and bring them inside, please." Ahhh, that never gets old. 

So I put the half with the flat and the point in an aluminum pan, fat cap down, on the smoker with some pecan at 9:00 am and let that go about 300 for 90 minutes then threw the flat on. Then I put the flat in a pan, fat cap down, in an aluminum pan on the upper rack. Every hour or so, I would baste with the juices in the pan and dusted a couple more time with Deez Nuts. I foiled the tops of the pans when they hit about 180, hit the shower, ran to the store. When I got back at 2:00 pm, pealed back the foul and hit them with a thermopen. I didn't need to wait for the readout. The probe went in and out like butter. I pulled them off, wrapped them in foil and a towel, dropped them into a cooler and waited for my guests to arrive at 4. At 5, I carved. No need to go with ultra thin slices. Slices as thick as my finger were bending so much, the ends hung straight down. It was a small group, so the part with the point and the flat fed everyone and the other flat, I can use for my beans or chili. It was an outstanding day. 

To sum up, the side with the flat and the point, went on at 9, and was just over 200 at 2:00 pm. The flat went on at 10:30 and was done at 2:00 as well. Mind you that flat was really thin since this was such a small brisket. 

Cowboysfan8 said:
I've got some things to do today, but am hungry for ribs.

Can I wrap a rack in foil and cook on my gas grill for like an hour at 300ish, then char over direct heat?

Baby's or spares? (I usually smoke spares)
If you want them cooked that fast you should cook them in an Instant Pot .

I got the last prime brisket from Costco on the 3rd. Only a 10 pounder. It was too big to go on the Akorn as a whole brisket, so I lopped off the flat at the edge of the point. I went simple. Salt, pepper and Meat Church's Deez Nuts pecan rub.

On a side note about the rub. First off, my kids LOVE the rub. More so for the name than anything. The older two boys being 9 and 11. I love it too for the name. As I'm hauling in my beans last night, I got to say to my oldest, "Hey grab the tongs, foil and Deez Nuts and bring them inside, please." Ahhh, that never gets old. 

So I put the half with the flat and the point in an aluminum pan, fat cap down, on the smoker with some pecan at 9:00 am and let that go about 300 for 90 minutes then threw the flat on. Then I put the flat in a pan, fat cap down, in an aluminum pan on the upper rack. Every hour or so, I would baste with the juices in the pan and dusted a couple more time with Deez Nuts. I foiled the tops of the pans when they hit about 180, hit the shower, ran to the store. When I got back at 2:00 pm, pealed back the foul and hit them with a thermopen. I didn't need to wait for the readout. The probe went in and out like butter. I pulled them off, wrapped them in foil and a towel, dropped them into a cooler and waited for my guests to arrive at 4. At 5, I carved. No need to go with ultra thin slices. Slices as thick as my finger were bending so much, the ends hung straight down. It was a small group, so the part with the point and the flat fed everyone and the other flat, I can use for my beans or chili. It was an outstanding day. 

To sum up, the side with the flat and the point, went on at 9, and was just over 200 at 2:00 pm. The flat went on at 10:30 and was done at 2:00 as well. Mind you that flat was really thin since this was such a small brisket. 
Oh hell yeah... sounds awesome. Dat tender brisket bend :wub:  

Costco Prime Briskets alone are worth the membership fee. 

Oh hell yeah... sounds awesome. Dat tender brisket bend :wub:  

Costco Prime Briskets alone are worth the membership fee. 
HA! The prime beef is why I am a costco member. I rarely buy anything else there other than prime beef (and ribs from time to time). In fact, I honestly don't know where much else is in the store other than the TV's and prime beef. I do my regular grocery shopping at Sam's. 

Anybody have a good recipe for deep fried wings? I buy the smaller ones from Costco, and I'm looking for something different than the norm. I'm practicing for a contest this fall that is held in conjunction with a BBQ contest here in KC.

I have the hot wings down, and I make a great honey BBQ, but I need something for the OPEN category. So anything applies. Looking for something unique. I was thinking something Asian influenced, or maybe Carribean or Hawaiian Island. 

Any thoughts? I'm sure there is something in this thread, but hoping someone has something they can post about. Thanks.

Edit to add: looking basically for something liquid I can bathe the wings in after they come out of the fryer.

Anybody have a good recipe for deep fried wings? I buy the smaller ones from Costco, and I'm looking for something different than the norm. I'm practicing for a contest this fall that is held in conjunction with a BBQ contest here in KC.

I have the hot wings down, and I make a great honey BBQ, but I need something for the OPEN category. So anything applies. Looking for something unique. I was thinking something Asian influenced, or maybe Carribean or Hawaiian Island. 

Any thoughts? I'm sure there is something in this thread, but hoping someone has something they can post about. Thanks.

Edit to add: looking basically for something liquid I can bathe the wings in after they come out of the fryer.
Not fried, but could be. These orange soda hot wings are pretty amazing

Have you tried smoking them and then frying them? S&P for seasoning and then play around with complimentary sauces?  I like jalapeno/garlic/honey in a blender.

Have you tried smoking them and then frying them? S&P for seasoning and then play around with complimentary sauces?  I like jalapeno/garlic/honey in a blender.
I haven't tried the smoking part first, but that would be interesting to do. I'll give it a try on one of the practice runs.

How long are you smoking them? Just a little bit to pick up the smoke flavor or are you almost smoking them to done-ness?

Another question: I'm assuming I would just eliminate the butter step, or would it make any sense to melt the butter into the syrup?
Yeah, the butter is to get the skin to crisp. You are going to do that in the fryer. But definitely smoke first, fry then slather in that sauce

I haven't tried the smoking part first, but that would be interesting to do. I'll give it a try on one of the practice runs.

How long are you smoking them? Just a little bit to pick up the smoke flavor or are you almost smoking them to done-ness?
Just enough to bronze them up and get them smoke flavor in.  Then into the fryer for about 3 minutes.

I don't own a large fryer and make smoke grilled wings. 45 to 60 minutes of smoke at about 275, a little sauce, crisp them up for a few  minutes on higher heat, then a lot more sauce.

I would say about an hour @ 250.

Roughly.

I was the only one home yesterday as the wife was lucky enough to have to work so I had pretty much all of the cooking and house cleaning by my self. I say pretty much because the wife got off work a couple of hours early and came in for the save or we probably wouldn't have had potato salad. Didn't get too many pics due to being busy but here are a few. This is the first time that I have cooked fat up on a BB. I think it made a difference.

Weber Mini Chimney

Rubbed down

Done

Ribs

The line to get 2 quarts of hash @ 8am on the 4th

Pulled

Bark

Mac & Cheeses

Homemade Vanilla Cake w/ cream cheese icing filling and frosted w/ a homemade Swiss Buttercream

Peanut says "Happy 4th"

1st leftover sandwich

I was the only one home yesterday as the wife was lucky enough to have to work so I had pretty much all of the cooking and house cleaning by my self. I say pretty much because the wife got off work a couple of hours early and came in for the save or we probably wouldn't have had potato salad. Didn't get too many pics due to being busy but here are a few. This is the first time that I have cooked fat up on a BB. I think it made a difference.

Weber Mini Chimney

Rubbed down

Done

Ribs

The line to get 2 quarts of hash @ 8am on the 4th

Pulled

Bark

Mac & Cheeses

Homemade Vanilla Cake w/ cream cheese icing filling and frosted w/ a homemade Swiss Buttercream

Peanut says "Happy 4th"

1st leftover sandwich
Outstanding!

NNNNO! BAD SHUKE! 

Get a multi-probe thermometer. Use one probe on the grates (they have clips to hold it). 

I’ve not seen the benefit of butcher paper for pork ribs.. prefer foil. Apple juice works but try parkay + brown sugar + tiger sauce. Also make sure ribs are top down in the foil and do not puncture it. Double layer of foil helps. You want that braising effect. 

Next time try an instant read before pulling.. you want 200-203. That should help rule out over/under cooking. 

Also time guides like 2-1-1 are great starting points but honestly you need to let the meat tell you when it’s done: 

- pick up the slab in center by tongs. Should sag >45 deg but not fall apart. 

- should be able to pick up by two ends without slab falling apart, but should droop well.

- usually good pullback (~1/2”+) of bone tips

- grab two bones and “tear” opposite directions perpendicular to the line of the slab... want a slight resistance tug then the meat to pull clean from the bone.
All excellent suggestions.  I rarely foil.  My signs for being done are pullback from the bones, the bend test, and I'll take my instant read thermometer and push the probe into the meat betwwen the bones.  There should be little resistance (like a hot knife through butter)and is a good indication of being done.

I don't rely on times or temps, unless I'm cooking chicken or burgers.  The meat will tell you when it's done.  A good test for pulled pork I always use is jam a big fork (a bbq fork or a large serving fork)into the shoulder  and twist. When you can do that with little effort, your porkr is done.

Hite's BBQ in West Columbia. I use to get all of my July 4th food from here until I figured out that I could make my own for cheaper and it taste just as good. Now I just get their hash, which is outstanding. Never tried to make it and I don't know if I want to.
Good to know.   I've been near there many a time but did not know that was hiding nearby. My sister lives in Lexington now, this seems like a good place to pickup 

Been wanting to try this with my smoked wings for some time. 
It takes them to a whole new level.  I had the idea a few years back when my favorite pizza joint started smoking wings and I loved the flavor but the crispiness was missing. So I tried frying them after smoking and its magical.  I will say I don't like traditional wing sauce on "smried" wings but there are plenty of other options that compliment the smoke.

shuke said:

I cut mine in half when I do them, I wrap them in foil after approx 2 hours. When I wrap them, I put down a layer of BBQ sauce, a rack, then BBQ sauce, Some apple flavored Crown Royale, next rack, bbq sauce and more Crown Royale.  Makes a big difference.  

It takes them to a whole new level.  I had the idea a few years back when my favorite pizza joint started smoking wings and I loved the flavor but the crispiness was missing. So I tried frying them after smoking and its magical.  I will say I don't like traditional wing sauce on "smried" wings but there are plenty of other options that compliment the smoke.
Do you go straight from the smoker to the deep fryer, or do you let them cool first?

Are you breading the wings as well? I usually soak the wings in an egg wash, then dredge in flour mixture, then deep fryer?

What type of oil? I'm normally a peanut oil guy.

Are you using the larger wings or the smaller ones?

Hite's BBQ in West Columbia. I use to get all of my July 4th food from here until I figured out that I could make my own for cheaper and it taste just as good. Now I just get their hash, which is outstanding. Never tried to make it and I don't know if I want to.
Is it corned beef hash? Any type of meat in there?

Whenever I'm grilling steaks and baking potatoes, I always do an extra potato or two to mix into my next breakfast skillet.

Honestly the hash should be  easier than  just about anything else you're doing.

Is it corned beef hash? Any type of meat in there?

Whenever I'm grilling steaks and baking potatoes, I always do an extra potato or two to mix into my next breakfast skillet.

Honestly the hash should be  easier than  just about anything else you're doing.
Yeah, @Slapdashgot it right. I may try to make some next time I do a butt. Here is a picture of my plate from last night.

Hash and Rice

It's a South Carolina thing and every place does it a bit different.
Yes. Most I've had seem to have liver in them. Makes for a much darker and more rich flavor. 

It's a difficult food as it tastes delicious but looks like dog vomit. You have to know what it is and really want it to order it.

And it's a tough name too as it's nothing like what most people think of as a breakfast hash with potatoes and meat on a flat top griddle. 

So it's got the name problem, it has the looks problem, and it usually has liver in it which is a problem for many. 

I love it but it's got a lot going against it. ;)

Do you go straight from the smoker to the deep fryer, or do you let them cool first?

Are you breading the wings as well? I usually soak the wings in an egg wash, then dredge in flour mixture, then deep fryer?

What type of oil? I'm normally a peanut oil guy.

Are you using the larger wings or the smaller ones?
Straight from the smoker.  Don't want to put them in the danger zone.  I suppose they could be plunge cooled for later frying but I've never done it.

I NEVER bread wings. Just S&P and on the smoker or in the fryer. Or both.

I generally use peanut oil but have been experimenting with beef tallow and really like that.

I use whatever wings I can get that aren't stupid expensive for wings so usually medium I suppose.  Not huge but not small.

Users who are viewing this thread