What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Although I have intentions to do the same thing with legs and thighs some day since I can usually get them for a much better price and just tell my friends they are giant wings.

Yes. Most I've had seem to have liver in them. Makes for a much darker and more rich flavor. 

It's a difficult food as it tastes delicious but looks like dog vomit. You have to know what it is and really want it to order it.

And it's a tough name too as it's nothing like what most people think of as a breakfast hash with potatoes and meat on a flat top griddle. 

So it's got the name problem, it has the looks problem, and it usually has liver in it which is a problem for many. 

I love it but it's got a lot going against it. ;)
Yeah, I think liver and offal are common.  And that is a turnoff to most, but not me.  I'll eat livermush, chicken livers, and tripe.  Pancreas at a restaurant in London may be my favorite non-steak meal.

As an aside, I tried steak on the kamado joe tonight for the first time.  And, well, I know how to cook a medium steak on it now.  That isn't ideal, but I couldn't get any thicker ribeye, so not unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I have intentions to do the same thing with legs and thighs some day since I can usually get them for a much better price and just tell my friends they are giant wings.
My wife prefers the thighs rather than making the wings. We used to be able to get thighs for .99 a lb but the wife said the price is going up.

My wife prefers the thighs rather than making the wings. We used to be able to get thighs for .99 a lb but the wife said the price is going up.
Thighs and legs at .99 are my buy signal here in northern Virginia.   Currently on sale now or last week at that price. Harris Teeter has offered at .79 in the past.

Has anyone experienced Mumbo/Mambo Sauce?  I purchased some wings to try with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Mambo-Sauce-Washington-Wing/dp/B00I9021W8/ref=asc_df_B00I9021W8/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312176979031&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3246565860306842197&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008167&hvtargid=pla-568657556102&ref=&adgrpid=63792114442&th=1

We just moved to NOVA, I will check that out! 

Yeah, I think liver and offal are common.  And that is a turnoff to most, but not me.  I'll eat livermush, chicken livers, and tripe.  Pancreas at a restaurant in London may be my favorite non-steak meal.

As an aside, I tried steak on the kamado joe tonight for the first time.  And, well, I know how to cook a medium steak on it now.  That isn't ideal, but I couldn't get any thicker ribeye, so not unexpected.
Where do you live now?

Spent the last week on the island of Spanish Wells, Bahamas (one of the "Out Islands" of the Bahamas and pretty much the exact opposite of Nassau) eating nothing but freshly caught seafood. Mahi, conch ceviche, cracked conch, seared mutton snapper, etc.... I LOVE to cook and eat all kinds of seafood, but it's not generally something that I equate with BBQ. Sure, some oily fish are best smoked, but in general, I feel like most fish is best grilled, seared, or fried, and there really isn't any type, or cut, of fish that is best cooked slow-and-low like you would a pork butt or brisket.

Anyway, we're out on a boat tour and we stop to do some reef-fishing. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm hoping for some grouper or snapper to take home for dinner. We put a couple smaller strawberry grouper in the box when my daughter suddenly hooks into something big. The fight was so powerful that I had to hold the rod for her while she cranked it in. When it finally came to the surface, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was so colorful, like something you'd see in an aquarium. The captain was super-excited and said we were very lucky to catch a triggerfish. He said "I'll show you how to cook it, you're going to love it!".

We eventually got back to the dock where I expected him to fillet it. Instead he took a machete and hacked the tail and fins off, made an incision up the belly to remove the innards, and handed me the whole fish. One of my favorite meal presentations is serving a whole deep fried snapper topped with a Thai sauce (lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chiles, ground peanuts), so I was pretty pumped to cook and serve this beautiful fish whole. 

As the captain hands me the fish, he confides that "the cheek is the best part". He said "it's like the best piece of steak you've ever eaten!". His cooking instructions were very simple. "All you need to do is wrap it in foil, set your grill on low heat, and cook for 30 minutes on both sides. The skin will lift right off". Sounded a bit too simplistic to me, so I had other plans. I decided I would make 3-4 slits in the sides and stuff it with lemons, chiles and seasonings. I got it back to the house, threw it on the cutting board and grabbed the sharpest knife I could find. After 30 seconds of sawing like a madman, I was unable to even puncture the skin. It was like the thickest, strongest, piece of leather you've ever encountered. There was literally no way to even cut through it. I eventually conceded, sprinkled it with some season salt, wrapped it in foil, and threw it on the grill. 

An hour later, I unwrapped it and sure enough the skin lifted off easily in one piece, just as advertised. The outer layer of skin was crispy and charred and there was a layer of fat under the skin that melted and kept the fillets juicy and delicious. I served it whole on a platter with some dipping sauces. The fillets lifted right off the bones. To me, it was very similar to the way the fats and connective tissues break-down during the smoking of a pork butt turning an otherwise tough piece of meat into a mouth-watering delicacy. All I had at our rental house was a gas grill, but I'm already thinking of ways I'd love to cook this on my WSM. 

Oh, and he was right, the piece of meat in the cheek was insanely good. My kids actually preferred the fillets because they thought the cheek was "too greasy and chewy" which of course was complete blasphemy.   :porked:   :wub:

Triggerfish fresh out of the water

Triggerfish ready to go on the grill

Money-shot of the cheek-meat nugget

Spent the last week on the island of Spanish Wells, Bahamas (one of the "Out Islands" of the Bahamas and pretty much the exact opposite of Nassau) eating nothing but freshly caught seafood. Mahi, conch ceviche, cracked conch, seared mutton snapper, etc.... I LOVE to cook and eat all kinds of seafood, but it's not generally something that I equate with BBQ. Sure, some oily fish are best smoked, but in general, I feel like most fish is best grilled, seared, or fried, and there really isn't any type, or cut, of fish that is best cooked slow-and-low like you would a pork butt or brisket.

Anyway, we're out on a boat tour and we stop to do some reef-fishing. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm hoping for some grouper or snapper to take home for dinner. We put a couple smaller strawberry grouper in the box when my daughter suddenly hooks into something big. The fight was so powerful that I had to hold the rod for her while she cranked it in. When it finally came to the surface, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was so colorful, like something you'd see in an aquarium. The captain was super-excited and said we were very lucky to catch a triggerfish. He said "I'll show you how to cook it, you're going to love it!".

We eventually got back to the dock where I expected him to fillet it. Instead he took a machete and hacked the tail and fins off, made an incision up the belly to remove the innards, and handed me the whole fish. One of my favorite meal presentations is serving a whole deep fried snapper topped with a Thai sauce (lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chiles, ground peanuts), so I was pretty pumped to cook and serve this beautiful fish whole. 

As the captain hands me the fish, he confides that "the cheek is the best part". He said "it's like the best piece of steak you've ever eaten!". His cooking instructions were very simple. "All you need to do is wrap it in foil, set your grill on low heat, and cook for 30 minutes on both sides. The skin will lift right off". Sounded a bit too simplistic to me, so I had other plans. I decided I would make 3-4 slits in the sides and stuff it with lemons, chiles and seasonings. I got it back to the house, threw it on the cutting board and grabbed the sharpest knife I could find. After 30 seconds of sawing like a madman, I was unable to even puncture the skin. It was like the thickest, strongest, piece of leather you've ever encountered. There was literally no way to even cut through it. I eventually conceded, sprinkled it with some season salt, wrapped it in foil, and threw it on the grill. 

An hour later, I unwrapped it and sure enough the skin lifted off easily in one piece, just as advertised. The outer layer of skin was crispy and charred and there was a layer of fat under the skin that melted and kept the fillets juicy and delicious. I served it whole on a platter with some dipping sauces. The fillets lifted right off the bones. To me, it was very similar to the way the fats and connective tissues break-down during the smoking of a pork butt turning an otherwise tough piece of meat into a mouth-watering delicacy. All I had at our rental house was a gas grill, but I'm already thinking of ways I'd love to cook this on my WSM. 

Oh, and he was right, the piece of meat in the cheek was insanely good. My kids actually preferred the fillets because they thought the cheek was "too greasy and chewy" which of course was complete blasphemy.   :porked:   :wub:

I can't decide if it's prettier straight out of the water or straight out of the foil.That looks awesome and now my stomach is growling.👍

E-Z Glider said:

I love Trigger.  One of my favorite fish.  We catch the Gray Triggers here but the skin and meat are very similar.

Triggerfish doesnt have skin, they have freakin armor that's a cross between leather and chain mail.  One of the best eating fish out there for sure, super firm like halibut and sweet non-fishy flavor. I bet that was tasty AF.

how do you plan on explaining that thick tendon the legs have that wings don't have? That'd be a dead giveaway. ;)

Thighs and legs at .99 are my buy signal here in northern Virginia.   Currently on sale now or last week at that price. Harris Teeter has offered at .79 in the past.
So my local meat store always has 10lbs of fresh chicken leg quarters for $5, so we eat a LOT of chicken. Gonna grill some up later with a honey balsamic glaze, and fresh roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.

Tomorrow I'm smoking ribs and Friday gonna grill some Ribeyes. It's not that I hate my oven and stove, I just prefer food cooked over real fire. :)

Heading to Michigan tomorrow. Got a couple Green Mountain Grills portable pellet cookers in tow and two prime grade briskets. We plan on reverse searing some spatchcocked chickens on these cookers as well. That's right. Reverse searing chicken. I don't know if I've ever seen this done. The plan is to spatchcock them out and then halve them and smoke till about 145 and then sear them off and crisp up that skin. I'm thinking butter basting as they smoke to speed up that skin crisping process. 

Thought something like this went the way of the yoga pants and feminist consciousness. You don't spatchcock them out, they make a choice as a consenting adult. Harrumph.

Regardless, I have a new favorite word. 
First time I saw the word spatchcock was on some grilling forum (maybe it was in one of these threads from many years ago). Someone asked if I spatchcocked my chicken. I'd never heard that word before. My first inclination was to say, "Hey pal, what I do in the privacy of my own home is my business." But before I typed anything I googled spatchcock. Then I responded, "No, but I plan to."

Of course, I love me some spatchcocked chicken. I spatchcock all the time. 

First time I saw the word spatchcock was on some grilling forum (maybe it was in one of these threads from many years ago). Someone asked if I spatchcocked my chicken. I'd never heard that word before. My first inclination was to say, "Hey pal, what I do in the privacy of my own home is my business." But before I typed anything I googled spatchcock. Then I responded, "No, but I plan to."

Of course, I love me some spatchcocked chicken. I spatchcock all the time. 
makes cutting the end product into 1/4s so much easier not to mention the fact that a flat chicken allows more room on the smoker to cook.

makes cutting the end product into 1/4s so much easier not to mention the fact that a flat chicken allows more room on the smoker to cook.
Exactly. We were planning on halving them, but maybe go quarters just to have more room on the smokers. We're feeding 30 from two portable pellet grills and a couple of those cheap walmart jobs that have the red top and black bottom. 

My wife won a small Char-Broil electric smoker at a fund raiser.    Any thoughts?  good, bad?  Should I keep it or re-gift it?

Couple questions for the grilling crew.

1. Would you have any reservations putting a griddle (Blackstone 36) adjacent to an exterior wall that had a non flammable stone facing?

2. Would you have any reservations putting a griddle under an open air covered patio (~15' height at peak) with multiple fans without a vent hood?

1. Would you have any reservations putting a griddle (Blackstone 36) adjacent to an exterior wall that had a non flammable stone facing?

2. Would you have any reservations putting a griddle under an open air covered patio (~15' height at peak) with multiple fans without a vent hood?
You just described my neighbors set up exactly.  He hasn't had any problems.

My wife won a small Char-Broil electric smoker at a fund raiser.    Any thoughts?  good, bad?  Should I keep it or re-gift it?
Pros:

Good for set it and forget it. 

Generally hold temp pretty solid

Cons:

Will get wrecked by any sort of weather

No smoke ring no matter what you do

I cook on a couple griddles all the time on my American Muscle Grill. I've got about 20 feet to the peak. Just don't start any fires on there. 

If I were to pull a couple of pork butts off the smoker and do the whole foil/towels/cooler routine how long could I go before pulling them apart...would 5 hours be pushing it if they are packed tight in a Yeti? I want to bring them to a tailgate at my son's lax tourney and between travel and waiting for the games to end that's the timeline I have to work with. I know I've done 3 hours before and they were as hot as if I'd just taken them off, don't want to poison anyone though.

If I were to pull a couple of pork butts off the smoker and do the whole foil/towels/cooler routine how long could I go before pulling them apart...would 5 hours be pushing it if they are packed tight in a Yeti? I want to bring them to a tailgate at my son's lax tourney and between travel and waiting for the games to end that's the timeline I have to work with. I know I've done 3 hours before and they were as hot as if I'd just taken them off, don't want to poison anyone though.
In that they would still be piping hot after 5 hours, they would likely continue to cook for a few hours so you may want to pull at 195.

Has anyone used these: Craycourt Cast Iron Grates?  I won one (basic random number generated drawing) with a griddle/hot plate insert from a guy's barbecue and grilling blog site close to 10 years ago.  A bit pricey, but fantastic for grilling.

Heading to Michigan tomorrow. Got a couple Green Mountain Grills portable pellet cookers in tow and two prime grade briskets. We plan on reverse searing some spatchcocked chickens on these cookers as well. That's right. Reverse searing chicken. I don't know if I've ever seen this done. The plan is to spatchcock them out and then halve them and smoke till about 145 and then sear them off and crisp up that skin. I'm thinking butter basting as they smoke to speed up that skin crisping process. 
I bought one of these with the intent of fully utilizing their awesome portability in between my house, vacation house, and camping trips.  I ended up selling it before I opened it as I got a screaming good deal on a mint, used Daniel Boone just to keep at home.  Decisions, decisions...

Absolutely. Valid point.  I’m already clarifying up front with meat (they have access to brisket, baby backs, etc). I think the plan is to bring or ship rubs and sauces.

They will be covering all costs so we may load up a pelican case with those key items, then load it up with booze and trinkets to ship back 😂 

I’m thinking it would be fun to give some high-level background on the regional styles, then possibly work in a demo of both beef ribs and competition pork ribs. 

They’re averse to big meats during the demo due to time limits. 
In Quito? Is grilling at an altitude different? 

What about wood? They may not have what you are used to ready off the shelf

In Quito? Is grilling at an altitude different? 

What about wood? They may not have what you are used to ready off the shelf
Great point. We are reaching out to them about availability of Apple or other fruit woods. If not we may end up flying with a few big chunks in checked baggage. We’ve already been told certain spices (good coarse black pepper) are hard to find. 

We are sending them a list with qtys next week and they will confirm what they can and can’t get. 

For the exhibition on stage at the event, we are going to cook with all locally found ingredients, which means we will be churching up some kraft BBQ sauce. Working on the recipe this weekend. 

We have used our Memphis in May sponsor connection to link us up with CharBroil/Oklahoma Joes in Ecuador. They are giving us 3 OK Joe Highland Offset smokers for free for the event. 

We will use the smokers to cook for the big pre-fest party dinner at Cuchi Suco BBQ the day before. Roberto wants us to come up with the menu, and train his staff for a big dinner party with invited guests, DJ, influencer/models, etc. Once we are done with the cook we will likely walk around drinking Ecuadorian beer and taking pictures with people. 

The event is in Cuenca which is a bit lower than Quito, but still ~8500ft. We will have a Sunday in Quito on the way back, though, with a 10hr layover. 

Great point. We are reaching out to them about availability of Apple or other fruit woods. If not we may end up flying with a few big chunks in checked baggage. We’ve already been told certain spices (good coarse black pepper) are hard to find. 

We are sending them a list with qtys next week and they will confirm what they can and can’t get. 

For the exhibition on stage at the event, we are going to cook with all locally found ingredients, which means we will be churching up some kraft BBQ sauce. Working on the recipe this weekend. 

We have used our Memphis in May sponsor connection to link us up with CharBroil/Oklahoma Joes in Ecuador. They are giving us 3 OK Joe Highland Offset smokers for free for the event. 

We will use the smokers to cook for the big pre-fest party dinner at Cuchi Suco BBQ the day before. Roberto wants us to come up with the menu, and train his staff for a big dinner party with invited guests, DJ, influencer/models, etc. Once we are done with the cook we will likely walk around drinking Ecuadorian beer and taking pictures with people. 

The event is in Cuenca which is a bit lower than Quito, but still ~8500ft. We will have a Sunday in Quito on the way back, though, with a 10hr layover. 
Man, I wish I could be there. May next year, or September as you originally posted? 

Check Ecuadorean customs regulations before taking in the wood in your luggage, many places in South America x-ray your luggage on the way in and go plant nazi on it. I've had sesame seeds and juniper berries confiscated in my luggage in Peru, but haven't been to Ecuador proper (only the transfering in Guyaquil, which doesn't count) in a donkey's age so don't know if they do it too.

There are micro breweries around Ecuador - try the local stuff (even if it may not be up to US standards).

Also, on the menu side. I'd drop the bologna sandwich. The people that are going to come are not the local Joe Plumber, it'll be the cream of Cuenca. They want to try the meat, not a sandwich with processed mystery stuff. Burnt ends, pork belly or beef would likely play very well in local taste, IMHO

@[icon]  - for menu inspiration:

Ecuador is the world's largest producer of bananas and plantains - that could be interesting to include - it'll be familiar and different at the same time. Mangoes and other tropical fruit will be readily available as well (possibly depending on season - although, it's Ecuador - shouldn't have seasons 😄 ).

@msommer THANK YOU for the feedback/expertise. :thumbup:

1) I THINK we are okay on dried smoke wood, the rules are harsh against meats, seeds/berries, and live flora/fauna... but that’s just off reading this. I’ll clarify with Roberto, thanks! 

2) I’m with you on the bologna item, but its something Roberto got really excited about. Apparently he had one at Husk in Nashville and has been playing with a recipe since. I’ll mention your concerns to him though. 

3) We are definitely looking into Pork Belly Burnt ends. He’s confirming availability. Agreed that dressing up 3-4 heavily nuggets as a small plate Would do great. 

3) LOVE the idea of mangos/plantains. Going to tinker with ideas of smoking them and using as a glaze or maybe just a edible side garnish. 

I always drink local when traveling. Agreed 1000% on that. :thumbup:   :banned:

thanks for the input/feedback! 

Users who are viewing this thread