What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Doing Kalua pig tomorrow. Does this many times. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

7 lb. pork shoulder
Hawaiian Salt (I use Island Seasonings Original. You can google it and buy online. My brother brought it to me when he lived there. Works great. This brand has a combination of seasonings and not just pure salt)

1. Take your pork shoulder, and use a knife to poke slits in it. Do it on top, sides, and bottom. Don't be shy: it gives the Hawaiian salt somewhere to go.

2. Take 2 tablespoons of the Hawaiian salt and rub into the pork shoulder on the bottom. Flip the shoulder over and do another 2 tablespoons of the salt. It doesn't seem like much, but it's plenty. Trust me. This stuff is really salty, and too much will kill it.

Put shoulder on smoker. Anywhere between 200-250 is fine. For the 7 pounder, I allocate anywhere from 7 to about 10 hours for the whole process. I used a combo of hickory and apple wood.

For the first 4-5 hours, Keep the smoker closer to the 200 degree mark. At the 5 hour mark, take the shoulder and wrap it in banana leaves. I got the banana leaves at a local grocery. After wrapping in banana leaves wrap in foil.

Throw the shoulder back on the smoker for the last 4-5 hours. I start ramping up my temperature as the day goes on, depending on when I want to serve. First to 225, then I was about 250 -300 for the last 2-3 hours. At this point, you are basically baking it inside the foil and banana leaves. For the last thirty minutes, I throw the shoulder in a cooler.

Open the baby up, and she is ready to pull. Check your internal temp, but should be around 200. Serve mixed with rice. I also added another tablespoon of Hawaiian salt once I pulled it. We also boil some cabbage to mix in if you like that sort of thing.

Good stuff. Turns out awesome. Now, you can also do this in the oven. Just add liquid smoke when you are seasoning it and right before you wrap it, and it can cook all day. You can google for ways to do it in the oven. Needless to say, it's just a twist on normal pulled pork and the flavors are real close to what you can get in the islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same group I made the ribs for took me out last night for my 40th last night and we all realized we didn't have plans for tonight. I laughed at the rest of them because this whole thing was supposed to be a simple gathering and we have been getting messages all morning on how they went out for buds and came home with 2 gallons of craft beer or went out for burgers and came home with steak tips......

I went out for hot dog buns and stumbled across racks of pork ribs for $3.99 a lb.... That were 2-1. Two racks in the oven as I type this.

I've got 6 chickens on the smoker that I'm taking to a party later. Can I just throw them in a cooler and carve/pull there, or will they continue to cook and get dry?
Pull when hot. Poultry does NOT pull as well when cold. How long are we talking here. I'd likely pull, then pack tight in gallon ziplock bags and reheat in boiling water in a big pan or turkey fryer when you get there. Maybe toss in a very light amount of your finishing sauce when bagging.
I wrapped each in foil and put in a cooler. When I pulled them out a few hours later, they were still too hot to touch.

White meat was a little dry, though. Not sure if that was from what I did, or didn't brine enough, or what.

heckmanm said:
So apparently, even when you split a pork butt into 2 4-5# pieces, they still take > 8 hours :wall:
Got through it OK. 2 smallest pieces were on the top rack, and were enough to feed the initial crowd around 4:30. 2 big pieces took another hour to hit 190 and fed the next group. Last 2 pieces really stalled; I eventually threw them in a 350 oven to finish up.

These worked great

Ended up with about 6# to freeze for future meals, plus a little for saingwiches the next few days.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but pork steak is fantastic when you want that "real barbecue" flavor but can't spend all day+ messing around with a shoulder. Brine, rub, 1 1/2 - 2 hrs indirect 225 - 250 w/ hickory, stoke fire and sear, sauce, rest, devour. Just really, really good. Anyone w/in about 6 hrs of St Louis will know what I'm talkin about...

So I guess I do really like the rendezvous BBQ sauce. I ran out of the two bottles I bought on Amazon so I went back to order more. Need $30 for free shipping. So instead of the 4*$8 method I said screw it and bought the dirty dozen pack for $52.

I did.... I really really did.

Just made Fanatic's grilled romaine -- it's freaking great. Kids crushed it before wanting seconds on either steak or corn on the cob. Definitely going to be a regular in the rotation in the CdL house moving forward -- awesome change up from the typical side salad...

Myself, wife, 10 and 7 yo daughters went through three big heads of Romaine...

Gonna smoke some wings tonight. Everything i read is about 1.5 hours at 275-300 degrees.....but I see differing stuff on direct vs. indirect. Any help?

Gonna smoke some wings tonight. Everything i read is about 1.5 hours at 275-300 degrees.....but I see differing stuff on direct vs. indirect. Any help?
I'd do at least partway over direct -- I've had trouble getting optimum crispness otherwise.
Ended up going about 40 minutes on indirect (300ish) and finished about 20 minutes on on direct. Came out great. I'll link the brine recipe tomorrow

Just made Fanatic's grilled romaine -- it's freaking great. Kids crushed it before wanting seconds on either steak or corn on the cob. Definitely going to be a regular in the rotation in the CdL house moving forward -- awesome change up from the typical side salad...

Where is the recipe on this? I searched the thread....

I too would love to see this recipe

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/05/11/grilled-romaine-lettuce-thats-right-salad-on-the-grill/

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/05/11/grilled-romaine-lettuce-thats-right-salad-on-the-grill/
Yeah that's it. Put it on right after steaks came off, done while the steaks rested. Rough chop, some cheese, done. Easy, different, and really good.

Yeah that's it. Put it on right after steaks came off, done while the steaks rested. Rough chop, some cheese, done. Easy, different, and really good.
Tried this tonight too. Didn't have any cheese, but it was still pretty tasty

Having my brother and his family over for dinner:

Homemade hummus w/ grilled naan triangles

More bacon wrapped stuffed baby bells and jalapeños

Spatchcocked beer brined smoked chickens (those are on now)

Grilled romaine w/ parm

Grilled corn on the cob w/ cilantro-jalapeño butter

Grilled bananas foster w/ ice cream

Felt like going balls-out tonight.

I'm getting ready to smoke wings for the first time today. I got a rub recipe and they are marinating. I'm throwing them in a foil pan. Having never done it, I google the amount of time to smoke wings. I've pretty consistently found to smoke them for about 2 hours (at 250).

I'm looking for any suggestions for after I smoke them? Throw them in the oven? The grill? Straight off the smoker? What does everyone else do with their wings?

Sure, I could read this thread, but I really don't feel like it.

I'm getting ready to smoke wings for the first time today. I got a rub recipe and they are marinating. I'm throwing them in a foil pan. Having never done it, I google the amount of time to smoke wings. I've pretty consistently found to smoke them for about 2 hours (at 250).

I'm looking for any suggestions for after I smoke them? Throw them in the oven? The grill? Straight off the smoker? What does everyone else do with their wings?

I would want to crisp up the skin so may go broiler over grill.

My tried/true is to brine for 1-2 hours, rinse/dry, light season with pepper and a few other spices (no salt). Grill indirect on med/high heat for about 20-25 minutes with lots of smoke, turning a few times to fully brown all sides. Then go direct over hot coals for a couple minutes each side, brushing with sauce. My wing sauce is 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 bottle Franks original, several crushed garlics and a bit of tobasco. I never do chicken on low heat. The skin won't be crispy like a deep fried wing, but it's pretty good. When finished, the wings are usually slightly charred, spicy but not hot, very tasty.

Thank you both. :thumbup: I didn't get your replies in time, so I pulled them off the smoker after 2 hours and did nothing else with them.

I loved the flavor and the tenderness of the meat, but I do wish the skins had been crispier. I think I'll try them under the broiler next time.

Looking to become a first time smoker. Been doing a lot of ready and I'm set on getting a pellet smoker. Anyone know if as a first-time user I'd be better off starting off with an el cheapo from a big box or should I jump right in with something like a rec tec?

Looking to become a first time smoker. Been doing a lot of ready and I'm set on getting a pellet smoker. Anyone know if as a first-time user I'd be better off starting off with an el cheapo from a big box or should I jump right in with something like a rec tec?
I bought a cheap one from Home Depot to make sure that I enjoyed the actual process of smoking and the time it took to do it. I think it was about $50-60.

The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. More impotantly, I learned that I did lime to smoke foods and wanted to get better at it, so I ended up with a Weber Smoky Mountain. The difference in the food is night and day. The Weber is terrific.

If you're really gung ho and want to jump right in, spend the money on a good smoker. If you are unsure, get the cheap model. If you decide smoking isn't for you, you're only out $50. If you decide you like it and want to get a better model, you only spent $50.

I bought a cheap one from Home Depot to make sure that I enjoyed the actual process of smoking and the time it took to do it. I think it was about $50-60.The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. More impotantly, I learned that I did lime to smoke foods and wanted to get better at it, so I ended up with a Weber Smoky Mountain. The difference in the food is night and day. The Weber is terrific.

If you're really gung ho and want to jump right in, spend the money on a good smoker. If you are unsure, get the cheap model. If you decide smoking isn't for you, you're only out $50. If you decide you like it and want to get a better model, you only spent $50.
Unfortunately a cheap pellet smoker is 400 to 500. With the nice ones starting at around 1k.

I bought a cheap one from Home Depot to make sure that I enjoyed the actual process of smoking and the time it took to do it. I think it was about $50-60.The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. More impotantly, I learned that I did lime to smoke foods and wanted to get better at it, so I ended up with a Weber Smoky Mountain. The difference in the food is night and day. The Weber is terrific.

Unfortunately a cheap pellet smoker is 400 to 500. With the nice ones starting at around 1k.
I noticed Costco is carrying Traeger now. I didn't check prices, but that might be a good option if you're a member. In any event, my gut reaction is not to recommend going very cheap to start. In most cases, you're going to get what you pay for more or less (of course, some cultish products like the BGE do cost a bit more due to the name alone, but the quality is also there). I don't think you'd enjoy jumping into this new endeavor with cheap equipment. I would check out Meadhead's extensive reviews if you haven't already. Amazingribs.com

Ah...pellet smoker...I missed that important detail.

i have made some good BBQ with an ugly drum smoker. Should be able to find people on craigslist selling them, or make it yourself.

Noob here. I just bought a WSM weber smoker. I've never done anything beyond steak/chicken/burgers etc. on a gas grill. Haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I know I could read through the thread and there are probably hundreds of websites and videos I could find. But could someone point me to a good, basic place to find a first recipe?

Noob here. I just bought a WSM weber smoker. I've never done anything beyond steak/chicken/burgers etc. on a gas grill. Haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I know I could read through the thread and there are probably hundreds of websites and videos I could find. But could someone point me to a good, basic place to find a first recipe?
This is what you seek

This is what you seek
:thumbup:

My favorite way is to take them off the smoker, crisp them by pan-searing in brown butter and/or rendered pork fat, then immediately tossing them into a dry rub ( try :obc: - amazing). Spicy, smoky, crispy. :thumbup:

Welcome to the Weber Smokey Mountain family! I love my WSM.

One of the best beginner WSM tips involves how to start a good fire that will keep you in the smoking temperature range for a long period of time. I highly recommend the "Minion" method or, as I call it, the "Ring of Fire" method. I can typically maintain steady temps of 250 degrees for 12 or more hours without adding any more charcoal during the cook using this method. Here is how I do it:

(1) Arrange unlit charcoal in a circular ring a few briquettes high and a few briquettes wide in the bottom of the WSM where you build the fire

(2) Place three Weber fire starter cubes on the bottom of a Weber chimney fire starter and fill with charcoal

(3) Light the starter cubes at the bottom of the chimney and wait about 20 minutes or so until the briquettes on top begin to ash over

(4) Dump the lit charcoal from the chimney into the middle of the ring of unlit charcoals

(5) Make sure the vents at the top and bottom are open as the smoker gets up to the ideal smoking temperature range (225-275 degrees)

(6) As the fire is getting up to temp, soak some wood chips/chunks in water and then add them to your fire prior to putting your meat on the smoker

(7) If the fire gets too hot, partially close some of the vents on the bottom to reduce the air flow to your fire and/or add more water to the water pan

(8) Add more wood chips/chunks periodically throughout the cook through the front door on the WSM

This method should help you maintain good smoking temps for long periods of time, which is essential for making great barbecue. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you both. :thumbup: I didn't get your replies in time, so I pulled them off the smoker after 2 hours and did nothing else with them.

I loved the flavor and the tenderness of the meat, but I do wish the skins had been crispier. I think I'll try them under the broiler next time.
Do you have a cast iron skillet?

When I do wings I'll either smoke them or have them on my grill indirect for a couple hours. Then I'll finish them in hot oil in the skillet for the last few minutes. You'll get the smoke flavor of home with the fried crispiness of a sports bar wing.

Do you have a cast iron skillet?

When I do wings I'll either smoke them or have them on my grill indirect for a couple hours. Then I'll finish them in hot oil in the skillet for the last few minutes. You'll get the smoke flavor of home with the fried crispiness of a sports bar wing.
I do. Thank you to you and bakes. I'm going to try this next time.

I use my WSM as my only grill. When my propane grill gave up the ghost about 2 years ago, I just started grilling on the bottom rack of the WSM.

The WSM rules.

I use my WSM as my only grill. When my propane grill gave up the ghost about 2 years ago, I just started grilling on the bottom rack of the WSM.

The WSM rules.
When u say bottom rack do u mean just the lower part with the legs on it and grate over charcoal ring? Cover would go on that as needed?

James Daulton said:

The WSM rules.
You put the middle section on and use the bottom rack without the bowl, right?

I tried once what phowler is referring to, using only the bottom section, and it turned out horribly.

Looking at smoking the Thanksgiving turkey next month in my WSM. Thoughts on either doing an apple brine like virtual bullet talks about vs Meathead's dry brine and wet rub?

Looking at smoking the Thanksgiving turkey next month in my WSM. Thoughts on either doing an apple brine like virtual bullet talks about vs Meathead's dry brine and wet rub?
Ive done both and both give you a very moist bird, the dry brine method will give you a more eatible/crispy skin if that's important

Ive done both and both give you a very moist bird, the dry brine method will give you a more eatible/crispy skin if that's important
The dry brine seems much easier. I've typically used a 5 gal bucket to wet brine a turkey, leaving it overnight in my garage. Its a pain.

I have used the apple brine from the virtual bullet a few times, it's excellent :thumbup:

The dry brine seems much easier. I've typically used a 5 gal bucket to wet brine a turkey, leaving it overnight in my garage. Its a pain.
That's one of the advantages, no equipment needed, less space used, no cleanup and the bird is ready to go straight from the fridge

I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving last year, and I thought it turned out great using a wet brine. I don't remember exactly what I put in the brine, but I'm pretty sure it was water, salt, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and a variety of different herbs and spices.

I wet brined a turkey a couple of years ago and used cranberry juice in place of the water with spices and herbs. It was a expensive to do that way and may not do it again, but it turned out really good and went well with the cranberry sauce.

Users who are viewing this thread