What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I'm with the group that says anything other than salt (and perhaps sugar in some cases) in a brine is a waste.
I tend to agree that a simple salt/sugar brine is all that is necessary but I have to admit adding sliced oranges/citrus and sprigs of Rosemarry/clove/blackpeppercorn to a brine gives it a very nice aroma to whatever you are using to brine, kind of sets the mood for your taste buds.

picked up an 8lb "pork loin in a bag" super cheap yesterday...

probably throw it on the electric smoker tomorrow.....any great ideas for this hunk of meat...

probably throw it on the electric smoker tomorrow.....any great ideas for this hunk of meat...
Slice down the middle so that the loin lays flat, stuff with Feta Cheese and baby spinach, roll and tie with butchers string, season with Greek seasoning.

Make a mop using orange marmalade, maple syrup, melted butter and pinapple juice, also add some of your seasoning to the mop. Cook at 250 for 1.5-2 hours, heavily mop when you first place on the smoker and then mop every 30 minutes after that. Pull at an inteernal of 135 and let rest for 30 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
Pork loin is very lean and can easily overcook and dry out. Totally different than a shoulder.
injection the best way to combat you think...
I think just watch the temp. Like Megla said above, take it off at 135 and you should be fine. Even a final temp of 150 will still work.

Just don't think you need to go to 190+ like you do for pulled pork. It'll be a 2x4 at that point.

Slice down the middle so that the loin lays flat, stuff with Feta Cheese and baby spinach, roll and tie with butchers string, season with Greek seasoning.

Make a mop using orange marmalade, maple syrup, melted butter and pinapple juice, also add some of your seasoning to the mop. Cook at 250 for 1.5-2 hours, heavily mop when you first place on the smoker and then mop every 30 minutes after that. Pull at an inteernal of 135 and let rest for 30 minutes
sounds great....thanks...

My Pit Barrel experience yesterday...  I started with a 5.5 pound brisket flat, that took about 4.5 hours.  Added a pork shoulder a couple hours later, and then 2 racks of baby backs another 2 hours after that.

The brisket was quite good  I probably should have gone a couple degrees higher on internal temp, but that's my fault and nothing to do with the choice of smoker.  The ribs were nothing short of phenomenal.

The pork shoulder took much longer than I expected.  This also should have gone a couple degrees higher on internal temp, which makes me suspect that my thermometer is slightly off.  I should have started it at the same time as the brisket, but didn't have the time due to various kids commitments (birthday parties, sports practice).  Putting it on after meant a lot of taking the lid on and off, and the coals started to die out by six hours in.  This is one area where the pit barrel is difficult; there's no easy way to refill the coal basket, as the only access to it requires you to remove all the meat.  Without friends available to hold the meat during this time, there's no way to do it.

All in all, my final review:

• Quality of food - Fantastic.  Smoke flavor and uniform cooking was great.
  • Ease of use - For only a few items, or items all of the same type, very simple to use.  With a large batch of different items requiring different times, adding charcoal and/or putting the half grill grate on and off (to switch between hanging and resting) is kind of a pain.
  • Fun factor - I have to admit, hanging the racks of ribs was oddly satisfying, and inspired a bit of a "now that's a manly way to cook meat" feeling.

Always been a charcoal guy. Got a Weber Genesis E-310 from work as a gift so I'm taking the propane plunge.

Bit of a pain in the ### to assemble but got'er done and am about to fire up some steaks and pork tenderloin. Glad summer is here.

Bought one of these: http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Going to be trying it out this weekend.  Anyone tried it before?
I've got a similar product, except like jamil's it uses grates. I can recognize the multiple stuff comment from your later post. But I've learned to live with that and limit the courses from the smoker and supplement from the BBQ. I use real wood though, not charcoal/chips (water basin keps the temp level)

Always been a charcoal guy. Got a Weber Genesis E-310 from work as a gift so I'm taking the propane plunge.

Bit of a pain in the ### to assemble but got'er done and am about to fire up some steaks and pork tenderloin. Glad summer is here.
May as well just cook them using gasoline.

Great grill. I have the E-330 which is very similar (only difference is the 330 has a sear station and a side burner). I used to be in the crowd that getting a Weber (or similar more expensive grill) was a waste of money. I was wrong. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes it's marketing BS. Grills are IMO a "get what you pay for" product.

Great grill. I have the E-330 which is very similar (only difference is the 330 has a sear station and a side burner). I used to be in the crowd that getting a Weber (or similar more expensive grill) was a waste of money. I was wrong. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes it's marketing BS. Grills are IMO a "get what you pay for" product.
It has been great so far, agree Weber makes a really good product. Still figure out the temperature that things need to get cooked at and times, had my system down with my charcoal grill.

The convenience of gas has been pretty fantastic.

Any thoughts on how to take on a wild turkey my bro in law told me he's bringing over on Saturday?

Dont have a smoker so best plan with a gas grill unless I buy something locally. 

Thanks.  

I have a WSM and while I enjoy using it, have been thinking about an offset rig instead. 

Any suggestions?  Budget is between $500-$800, could go a little higher if it's worth it.  

Thanks

I have a WSM and while I enjoy using it, have been thinking about an offset rig instead. 

Any suggestions?  Budget is between $500-$800, could go a little higher if it's worth it.  

Thanks
Craigslist might be your best bet.

Any thoughts on how to take on a wild turkey my bro in law told me he's bringing over on Saturday?

Dont have a smoker so best plan with a gas grill unless I buy something locally. 

Thanks.  
If you don't have a smoker you can do on the grill by going with a two zone method.  Put the turkey on the side with indirect heat and get that side to about 225. So if gas grill just light the burners on the non-turkey side and if charcoal all the coals should be on the non-turkey side. The key is low and slow with indirect heat. As Hawks64 mentioned brine the turkey the night before.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html

proninja said:
What are you hoping to accomplish by going to an offset? 
I have one (a cheap one too like a $150 chargriller or something).  I grill a lot more than I smoke so it's nice to have one thing to do both.  it's certainly not ideal for smoking but it gets the job done (I've read the drawbacks and potential mods you can make).  I may look at getting a separate smoker sometime soon though and probably a separate grill at that point

Anyone have a favorite way to do a pork loin?
I'm new to smoking with my 18" WSM and pork loin has a been a favorite so far.  Rubbed up with a homemade KC pork rub, apple/vinegar injection and couple hours over apple wood. On the menu again for this weekend along with some chicken thighs plus the usual grill fare of dogs/burgers/pork roll.

Gonna do my 1st batch of beef jerky tomorrow over hickory. 

Buzzbait said:
If you don't have a smoker you can do on the grill by going with a two zone method.  Put the turkey on the side with indirect heat and get that side to about 225. So if gas grill just light the burners on the non-turkey side and if charcoal all the coals should be on the non-turkey side. The key is low and slow with indirect heat. As Hawks64 mentioned brine the turkey the night before.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html
Picked this up at lowes to get me started and give this turkey at try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9ZosxbNXJT99F

Any ballpark time necessary for a proper smoke of a butchered turkey: legs, thighs, tenderloins. Turkey is in da brine.  

Thinking ~4 hrs appears in order from some light searching.

Think I'm gonna smoke some ribs tomorrow

also have a question:  have a smallish brisket from a cow we bought 3.5ish lbs).  Do I need to consider anything different or just the standard "X hours/lb"?  I have a digital thermometer so I know I'll get it to temp, more for planning purposes

also have a question:  have a smallish brisket from a cow we bought 3.5ish lbs).  Do I need to consider anything different or just the standard "X hours/lb"?  I have a digital thermometer so I know I'll get it to temp, more for planning purposes
That small of brisket should be done in about 4 hours I would think. I'm doing 17lb packer brisket and will be removing the the point from the flat, thinking 10 hours or so for mine.

Thanks dude. 3 hours for whole bird or sectioned?
Whole bird, sectioned I would think less for sure. So a whole chicken will take 1.5 hours but spatchcocked (cut through the breast bone and cooked flat) takes 45 minutes so roughly half the time. I would think with a Turkey sectioned out the thigh/leg may take the longest, you will need a meat thermometer for sure!

That small of brisket should be done in about 4 hours I would think. I'm doing 17lb packer brisket and will be removing the the point from the flat, thinking 10 hours or so for mine.
You gonna make burnt ends with that?

The point, that is.

Whole bird, sectioned I would think less for sure. So a whole chicken will take 1.5 hours but spatchcocked (cut through the breast bone and cooked flat) takes 45 minutes so roughly half the time. I would think with a Turkey sectioned out the thigh/leg may take the longest, you will need a meat thermometer for sure!
Cut through the backbone.

Agreed.  Same basic cook plan, just quicker.  Only thing I might change is, consider using less rub/seasoning, as you'll likely have more surface area (percentage-wise) than a large cut, and if you heavily season, it could overpower the meat.

You gonna make burnt ends with that?

The point, that is.
Yep. Once the Flat is at 150/160 I'll foil and then cube the point, more rub, sauce it up and back on it goes till the flat is done. I prefer separating prior to smoking. No missing bark on the flat, gets done quicker and easier to handle all around.

Yep. Once the Flat is at 150/160 I'll foil and then cube the point, more rub, sauce it up and back on it goes till the flat is done. I prefer separating prior to smoking. No missing bark on the flat, gets done quicker and easier to handle all around.
Awesome. Nothing better than burnt ends.  :thumbup:

A couple of months back I smoked my 1st brisket, 13lbs. I did my burnt ends 3 ways and it was phenomenal. If I can figure out how to link pics I will. 

For today it's gonna be a rack of baby backs for me,  some pork tenderloin medallions for the wife and maybe some bacon wrapped chicken breast tenders with some cheese and maybe some jalapeños inside. 

Looking to buy a smoker.  Budget is approx $500.  I'm not interested in something I have to fiddle with, and from what I've read that take the charcoal style out.  Propane or electric?  I looked up the Smokin It brand of electric smokers and they appeal to me.  Anyone have experience with these?  Or can give me a push in a different direction?  Thanks.

Looking to buy a smoker.  Budget is approx $500.  I'm not interested in something I have to fiddle with, and from what I've read that take the charcoal style out.  Propane or electric?  I looked up the Smokin It brand of electric smokers and they appeal to me.  Anyone have experience with these?  Or can give me a push in a different direction?  Thanks.
I've heard good things about the Trager wood pellet smokers

i will be in the market at some point, probably next year though

i want charcoal and something that can be used as a smoker and grill.  Is WSM the way to go or Big Green Egg?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outdoors-Smoky-Mountain-20-x-34-Gas-Smoker/12429510

I have one of these and I like it alot. Got at gander mountain yrs ago 

Eta- I think mines bigger than that one

I've never smoked anything longer than ribs (about 6 hrs) but once I get the heat where I want it I never have to adjust it

Alright, I got the ribs on @ 3:30, my chicken breast trimmed and cut, and the pork medallions lightly Olive oiled and rubbed. I put a coffee rub and some Garlic and Herb Zatarain's on my ribs. I smoked a couple of chuck roast about a month ago using the coffee rub and it was fantastic. I also used yellow mustard as a binder for the rub. Well see how it turns out. 

I was gonna do a Boston Butt but my late start ended that. I'll get up early tomorrow and start that. I decided to do some shrimp and Mac n Cheese  instead and maybe some green beans or salad.

Hopefully everything will be ready close to game time tonight between GS and OKC.

Users who are viewing this thread