What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Can you tell me how you cooked those poppers?  I've tried a few times, and seems in order to get the back cooked, all of the cheese runs out.
I stretch the bacon as much as I can before I wrap and use thinner cut so I have a paper thin layer of bacon with no overlapping, secured with half toothpicks...I cook at 400 (convection roast setting on oven) for 20-25 min and then broil for 2-5 minutes. Sometimes a little cheese puffs and leaks out, but usually only in 1 or 2 per dozen or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Boston butts, 2 Italian sausages, and beans below.

Italian before before finishing on the grill.

Pork about to be pulled.

Piece of pork/smoke ring.

Beans

Pretty much love my new WSM. Butts went on a little before 10 this morning, with some homemade Memphis Dust style rub. A tweaked version of TheFanatic's beans underneath. A couple Italians went on later. Pork came off about 8:30, rested for about an hour. Everything turned out great. Also made Meathead's KC BBQ sauce, which was pretty tasty too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about purchasing my first smoker.  I have no experience at all with smoking, but I read through the last 5 pages or so of this thread.  If I want to spend <$500, it sounds like the Weber Smokey Mountain may be the best one for me?  Is the 18" one adequate in terms of size?   I currently own a Weber Spirit and use it all the time, but I'm anxious to try my hand at smoking.

Any recommended must-have accessories?  I saw a few Wi-Fi thermometers mentioned.  Anything else?

I am thinking about purchasing my first smoker.  I have no experience at all with smoking, but I read through the last 5 pages or so of this thread.  If I want to spend <$500, it sounds like the Weber Smokey Mountain may be the best one for me?  Is the 18" one adequate in terms of size?   I currently own a Weber Spirit and use it all the time, but I'm anxious to try my hand at smoking.

Any recommended must-have accessories?  I saw a few Wi-Fi thermometers mentioned.  Anything else?
yep.  18" WSM.  Great first smoker to learn on.  Its how i get started. As for accessories:  wifi thermometer, heat resistant gloves, thermapen are a good start. 

Well...after looking at all types of grills/smokers and weighing in moving parts and warranty and space and everything.  I ended up getting a Kamado Joe Classic.  Should be here later today.

For anyone contemplating stuff...for me it really came down to versatility and the ability (possibly once I get it all figured out) to eliminate a few grills from my patio.

I avoided the pellet smokers (and one other I will mention in a bit)...mainly due to the mechanics of everything.  None of them offer all that great of warranties for the electronic parts.  Given living in Nashville with pretty good heat and humidity...the elements and electronics I just see it being something Id have to replace or have repaired before I really want to.  The ones I was looking at were not much less than what I ended up paying for the Kamado.

One of the most intriguing options that almost had me (again the electronics were the deal breaker) was the Masterbuilt gravity series.  Charcoal and wood vs pellets (but again relies on electronics and a feeding system (and a lot of complaints of warping and issues with hopper and heating in that area.  Any other gravity grill/smoker is super expensive...but Masterbuilt is trying to make an affordable one.  It seemed its a good deal...but requires doing more work to it to ensure it lasts.

The WSM was the other competition really...and I thought of getting it and for sure keeping the Weber gasser I already have.   But the warranty on the ceramic...the ability to do so many things other than just smoke things...and the deal Lowes is running really had me sold on the KJ.

Looking forward to some big cooks where I don't have to check coals/temps every 30 minutes like I had been smoking things on a weber kettle.

I’ll second Pinky.  Bought an 18 inch wsm 8 years ago as my first smoker and love it. Got 2 pork butts going right now.  Unless your doing a lot of cooks for big groups it’s plenty of room.  For example I can do 2 racks of baby backs and 2 cut up whole chickens at the same time without any creative placing.

Once it’s seasoned, after a few smokes, it’s really easy to dial in temps.  Mine can hold 225-230 for 8-10 hours on a single load of coals.  If it’s really windy or cool and damp it’s a bit trickery but on a normal summer day I don’t have to mess with the coals at all once I get them going.  Just a warning they run a bit hot when you first get one but that goes away once it builds up seasoning.  Most important accessory is a chimney starter.

Well...after looking at all types of grills/smokers and weighing in moving parts and warranty and space and everything.  I ended up getting a Kamado Joe Classic.  Should be here later today.
You will not be disapointed. I got mine about a year ago. Love that it can hold a temparature all day as well as crank up to very high temps for steaks. The only real gap is that it takes a while to get lump charcoal going, so it is not ideal for burgers/dogs. 

You will not be disapointed. I got mine about a year ago. Love that it can hold a temparature all day as well as crank up to very high temps for steaks. The only real gap is that it takes a while to get lump charcoal going, so it is not ideal for burgers/dogs. 
Yeah...if I get rid of the gas grill...just means I have to plan ahead a little further...get the coals started then do all the meal prep work.

yep.  18" WSM.  Great first smoker to learn on.  Its how i get started. As for accessories:  wifi thermometer, heat resistant gloves, thermapen are a good start. 
I’ll second this advice but some folks love the WSM 22.  I’ve never had any problem feeding 10-12 folks on the 18 

The nice thing about the WSM is they are easy to find on Craigslist or FB marketplace. I bought my 14” for 60 and the 18 for 120 and both look new.  

I’ll second this advice but some folks love the WSM 22.  I’ve never had any problem feeding 10-12 folks on the 18 

The nice thing about the WSM is they are easy to find on Craigslist or FB marketplace. I bought my 14” for 60 and the 18 for 120 and both look new.  
I have the 22" and do love it. The main reason I got the 22 was it allows me plenty of room for a nice brisket. I read reviews where people stated they had to cut their brisket to be able to fit it on the 18". The drawback is the 22"uses a bit more fuel. 

I have the 22" and do love it. The main reason I got the 22 was it allows me plenty of room for a nice brisket. I read reviews where people stated they had to cut their brisket to be able to fit it on the 18". The drawback is the 22"uses a bit more fuel. 
So if you got smaller full packers they will fit.  I would get smaller than 12 lbs and could fit it.  Also some people use a trick where you sit it on top of a bowl and use the height a bit.  But any larger and yes you would need the 22.  But 12lb or less was always fine for me

I stretch the bacon as much as I can before I wrap and use thinner cut so I have a paper thin layer of bacon with no overlapping, secured with half toothpicks...I cook at 400 (convection roast setting on oven) for 20-25 min and then broil for 2-5 minutes. Sometimes a little cheese puffs and leaks out, but usually only in 1 or 2 per dozen or so.
Thanks.  You ever grill them?

Do the 22".  It's only $100 more for something that you'll have forever.

Follow-up question.  I said I have no experience with smoking, but I've never even cooked with charcoal before - I've always cooked with propane gas grills.  Is using charcoal and lighting it, etc. easy enough to learn for someone who's never done it before I take it?  I need to locate for a ELI5 tutorial for WSM I guess.  

Follow-up question.  I said I have no experience with smoking, but I've never even cooked with charcoal before - I've always cooked with propane gas grills.  Is using charcoal and lighting it, etc. easy enough to learn for someone who's never done it before I take it?  I need to locate for a ELI5 tutorial for WSM I guess.  
Yes. My WSM is my first time with charcoal too. I spent a lot of time here, watching YouTube videos, etc. You got this.

Softballguy said:
If it's just my family, yes... My kids love them. If you're cooking for a group, probably best as a delicious side or part of a bunch of unique sides.
Or if you're like me, make about 50 of them (pork belly burnt ends) yesterday and proceed to scarf down most of them before dinner.  Delicious, but ruined my stomach for the next 15 hours. 

Looking to upgrade my Webber iGrill thermometer, it finally crapped the bed tonight. Any recommendations on a good multi probe smoker thermometer?

Looking to upgrade my Webber iGrill thermometer, it finally crapped the bed tonight. Any recommendations on a good multi probe smoker thermometer?
I have this, it works for me.  For some reason the pics show 2 meat probes though it only comes with one and a small grate probe

ThermoPro TP08S Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling Smoker BBQ Grill Oven Thermometer with Dual Probe Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HRb6EbTQ0THJG

Anyone have any experience with an outdoor griddle?
Got a 36" BlackStone about amonth ago. Very versatile. It is at my campsite, but so far I have done Philly Beefs, smash burgers, bacon egg & cheese on english muffins, French Toast, loaded tots, grilled cheese...

Plan on trying some hibachi type stuff and fried rice soon.

Brisket almost done, planning to eat at 5 so gonna have to try the wrap in a towel and throw in a cooler trick, never done it before but should be fine, sounds like it’s pretty common 

at 193 now, think I may let it go to 200.  Probably will double check another thick part to be safe

14 lbs I put on around 9 PM last night.  First time doing it in the egg, curious to see how much fuel I went through.  I had hickory chunks stacked up in various spots, not not sure how much smoke it got.  Took a peek through the top cap though and bark looks perfect 

Brisket almost done, planning to eat at 5 so gonna have to try the wrap in a towel and throw in a cooler trick, never done it before but should be fine, sounds like it’s pretty common 

at 193 now, think I may let it go to 200.  Probably will double check another thick part to be safe

14 lbs I put on around 9 PM last night.  First time doing it in the egg, curious to see how much fuel I went through.  I had hickory chunks stacked up in various spots, not not sure how much smoke it got.  Took a peek through the top cap though and bark looks perfect 
Be more concerned about feel than temp.  When the probe goes through the flat and the point "like butter" it is done. 200-210 in the thick part of the flat near the point isn't uncommon. I find prefect is often, but not always, 203 ish.

Got a 36" BlackStone about amonth ago. Very versatile. It is at my campsite, but so far I have done Philly Beefs, smash burgers, bacon egg & cheese on english muffins, French Toast, loaded tots, grilled cheese...

Plan on trying some hibachi type stuff and fried rice soon.
I have one also and cook everything on it.

Did some thick boneless pork chops last night (pork loin was in sale big time last week...$7.50 got me 7 nice thick chops and an end i cut into medallions for a quick stir fry lunch one day already).  Brined overnight...toyed with the new Kamado Joe and overshot my temp a bit...adjusted some things and my method.  They got about 15 minutes indirect heat with some light cherry smoke...then pulled from the grill for a moment when they hot 140...grill cranked up to 500 to give a light sear.  Then rested in foil off the grill.  Had done some foul potatoes as well.  And an appetizer of italian sausage meatballs with a 20 minute cook and smoke.  All very tasty.

Hoping the rain blows through quick today and Ill be spiral slicing a pork loin (Yeah more pork), stuffing it with spinach, gouda, and prosciutto and rolling for a good slow hour on the grill.  Served hopefully with grilled zucchini.

Sam's had brisket for $2.64/lb so I bought the smallest they had 14lbs to try and smoke for the 1st time.  It is to big for my Smoke Hollow smoker so I was wondering what my options were.  I have read about cutting the flat part way thru and folding over or separating the flat and point and smoking separately.  Any suggestions?

Sam's had brisket for $2.64/lb so I bought the smallest they had 14lbs to try and smoke for the 1st time.  It is to big for my Smoke Hollow smoker so I was wondering what my options were.  I have read about cutting the flat part way thru and folding over or separating the flat and point and smoking separately.  Any suggestions?
Cutting and doing separate might be your best bet, especially if you have any kind of tiered racking in your smoker, or if they’re cut will they fit side by side?

could always cut and freeze the flat for something else too if you don’t need a ton of meat, I made this awhile back with a flat and it was really good

https://www.purewow.com/recipes/french-onion-brisket

Here’s today’s brisket, turned out pretty good.  I was losing heat towards the end so maybe pulled a bit early, although nothing was tough and if anything the flat was slightly on the drier side.  Good learning experience for my first brisket on the egg

https://imgur.com/gallery/oX0bKfG
The meat looks tasty, but if it pulled like that instead of slicing nicely then it was pulled a little too late, not early.

The meat looks tasty, but if it pulled like that instead of slicing nicely then it was pulled a little too late, not early.
Yeah that makes sense, internal temp only got to like 197 though, I did your probe trick and a few spots still seemed like they had a little resistance.  

im sure it will take me a few tries to get it perfect, plus every piece of meat is different 

Anyone have a good online source for smoke wood chunks? I've got local cherry and apple, but I'd like to try some different stuff. Pecan, hickory, etc.

Okay....so I have never owned a grill or smoker, and I have no idea what how to grill.  The most I've done is hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire.  We put in a new patio and I'm ready to take the jump and learn.  I've been looking at a combo grill/smoker from Lowe's.  Anyone have experience with these?  It has good reviews, although some mentioned rusting on the doors.  I'm open to other suggestions.  I have about $500 to spend, and I'm a beginner, so I don't want to get into the fancy ones.  I want to learn what I need to do and then look into something better down the road.

I've been reading through parts of the thread, and there's some great recipies I want to try.  I figured if I'm going to learn how to grill, I might as well learn how to use a smoker as well.  
So I settled in on the Weber 22" Kettle.  Over the last two weeks I"m been figuring out the basics of charcoal grilling - hot dogs, brats, and burgers.  Yesterday I ventured into chicken breasts and was pleasantly surprised.  I appreciate the help in this thread.  Just reading through the posts and a couple of youtube videos, and I'm starting to feel a little more confident.  

Anyone have a good online source for smoke wood chunks? I've got local cherry and apple, but I'd like to try some different stuff. Pecan, hickory, etc.
Bob's Smokin' Hardwood

@TheFanatic shared this with us a few years ago and this guy provides incredible wood. It isn't kiln dried like the stuff you buy at the store so it doesn't burn nearly as fast.  And he hand curates and cleans it. Not to mention a great assortment and wonderful service.

So I settled in on the Weber 22" Kettle.  Over the last two weeks I"m been figuring out the basics of charcoal grilling - hot dogs, brats, and burgers.  Yesterday I ventured into chicken breasts and was pleasantly surprised.  I appreciate the help in this thread.  Just reading through the posts and a couple of youtube videos, and I'm starting to feel a little more confident.  
Kenji BBQs chicken - this is a good intro into technique and has rub and sauce recipes if you're looking.  @icon taught us a trick for chicken parts where instead of putting the coals to just one side, stick a disposable aluminum pan in the bottom (maybe 9x13) and put coals on both long sides.  bake/smoke parts in the middle with skin up, tray catches rendered fat, and sear/finish skin down on the outside.  works like a charm.  enjoy!

hey you brohans look like you are grilling and smoking a lot of good stuff but lets remember to keep it safe out there so that everyone comes home after the end of a long day of smoking take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread