Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

bryhamm

5 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Alright, I got the ribs on @ 3:30, my chicken breast trimmed and cut, and the pork medallions lightly Olive oiled and rubbed. I put a coffee rub and some Garlic and Herb Zatarain's on my ribs. I smoked a couple of chuck roast about a month ago using the coffee rub and it was fantastic. I also used yellow mustard as a binder for the rub. Well see how it turns out. 

I was gonna do a Boston Butt but my late start ended that. I'll get up early tomorrow and start that. I decided to do some shrimp and Mac n Cheese  instead and maybe some green beans or salad.

Hopefully everything will be ready close to game time tonight between GS and OKC.

How do the chuck roasts smoke? Similar to a brisket?  I have like a 7 lb chuck roast (might be an English roast) that I was wondering if I could smoke.  

Or do you do more like a pulled beef or something with it?

8 hours ago, In The Zone said:

I've been looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain and from what I understand it's pretty much set it and forget it.

Not really set it and forget it, you still have to adjust vents throughout the cook based on remaining fuel, temps outside and how much sun the smoker gets but it's pretty damn easy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

One thing you guys new to smoking should get is a real ambient probe for accurate temps. The thermometers that come with any smoker suck for the most part. This will give you an idea of what your actually cooking at. MY WSM thermometer will routinely be 25 degrees higher than the ambient probe, which is 1" away from what I'm smoking. I have Weber's iGrill with 2 food probes and an ambient probe. Makes smoking that much easier.

Posted this over in the just bough a pit barrel smoker thread. Good advice for the new guys here too.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 9:22 PM, Hawks64 said:

That small of brisket should be done in about 4 hours I would think. I'm doing 17lb packer brisket and will be removing the the point from the flat, thinking 10 hours or so for mine.

Why are you removing the point?

12 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

Yep. Once the Flat is at 150/160 I'll foil and then cube the point, more rub, sauce it up and back on it goes till the flat is done. I prefer separating prior to smoking. No missing bark on the flat, gets done quicker and easier to handle all around.

Disregard my other message. Apparently I can't read. 

On 5/27/2016 at 10:29 PM, Hawks64 said:

Whole bird, sectioned I would think less for sure. So a whole chicken will take 1.5 hours but spatchcocked (cut through the breast bone and cooked flat) takes 45 minutes so roughly half the time. I would think with a Turkey sectioned out the thigh/leg may take the longest, you will need a meat thermometer for sure!

You're smoking a whole chicken in 1.5  hours?

9 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How do the chuck roasts smoke? Similar to a brisket?  I have like a 7 lb chuck roast (might be an English roast) that I was wondering if I could smoke.  

Or do you do more like a pulled beef or something with it?

I did 2 chuck roast. The first one I did just like a pulled beef . I also, had a pan with carrots, potatoes, and onions in it. Very similar cook to this.

Smoked Chuck Roast

The 2nd roast I did  some fake burnt ends just similar to this.

Fake Burnt Ends

Both turned out pretty damn good.

ETA: Let me know if you can see the pictures. 

My cook 1

Edited by In The Zone
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

Yep, but I do poultry at 375 or higher. I can smoke a whole turkey in about 3/3.5 as well. All high temp and water bowl empty but foiled.

100% agree that brining then hot smoking / roasting is the way to go with poultry.

• Like 1

On May 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Pedro Cerrano Fan said:

Looking to buy a smoker.  Budget is approx $500.  I'm not interested in something I have to fiddle with, and from what I've read that take the charcoal style out.  Propane or electric?  I looked up the Smokin It brand of electric smokers and they appeal to me.  Anyone have experience with these?  Or can give me a push in a different direction?  Thanks.

Call cookshack, ask if they have any scratch/dent units, buy unit, enjoy

ive had my cookshack for 9 years.  Never had to work in anything with it or replace anything.  Built like a tank and works incredibly well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

100% agree that brining then hot smoking / roasting is the way to go with poultry.

What is the advantage over going lower temp and longer? Doing chickens tomorrow.

8 hours ago, shuke said:

What is the advantage over going lower temp and longer? Doing chickens tomorrow.

Foolproof crispy skin / juicy meat. Think a great oven roasted chicken with great smoky flavor.  I also think the flavor is better, but that's more a personal preference.  Chicken can't take as much smoke as pork without getting overwhelmed and kind of bitter in my experience.

Edited by Coeur de Lion

So I have a little charcoal grill and I bought these Jack Daniel BBQ Smoking Chips:  http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Daniels-01749-Smoking-Chips/dp/B007RWXDXU

How exactly am I supposed to use them? 

They talk about putting them in a heavy duty aluminum pouch ON the grill?  Wouldn't I want to spread them out with the charcoal? 

1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

So I have a little charcoal grill and I bought these Jack Daniel BBQ Smoking Chips:  http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Daniels-01749-Smoking-Chips/dp/B007RWXDXU

How exactly am I supposed to use them? 

They talk about putting them in a heavy duty aluminum pouch ON the grill?  Wouldn't I want to spread them out with the charcoal? 

If you are using charcoal I would just spread them on the charcoal. If they are smaller chips you may want to soak them down in a bucket of water for an hour or so first.

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

If you are using charcoal I would just spread them on the charcoal. If they are smaller chips you may want to soak them down in a bucket of water for an hour or so first.

Hmm. Ok.

Some of the reviews said to use a smoker box and if I don't have one (I don't ), to wrap the chips in aluminum foil and then poke holes in it.

16 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Hmm. Ok.

Some of the reviews said to use a smoker box and if I don't have one (I don't ), to wrap the chips in aluminum foil and then poke holes in it.

The only time I have ever wrapped chips in foil is when I had to smoke on my brothers gas grill. Wood chips on charcoal is perfectly acceptable. In my opinion.

Two things I was told by a championship pit master; 1 was don't use chips, use chunks. 2 was if you use chips, don't soak them  (hot water makes steam, not smoke ) and wrap them in foil. They'll last longer instead of burning up.

FTR, I've only used chunks so what do I know. 

1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Two things I was told by a championship pit master; 1 was don't use chips, use chunks. 2 was if you use chips, don't soak them  (hot water makes steam, not smoke ) and wrap them in foil. They'll last longer instead of burning up.

FTR, I've only used chunks so what do I know. 

How is he talking about wrapping them?  Like in a bowl shape with the top open?  :bag:

45 minutes ago, proninja said:

The advantage of going low and slow is more time at temperature to break down tough muscle collagens, of which chicken has basically none. Low and slow won't hurt poultry, but it won't really help either. 

And as noted earlier, higher temp = crispy skin.

I smoked some thighs low/slow and the skin was like shoe leather.  Delicious shoe leather, mind you, but chewy nonetheless.

Just got back from Lowe's. An awful lot of people walking right past stacks of cheap charcoal to pick up terrible Char Broil gas grills. I wanted to beg all the fools to stop. If you can't afford a Weber gas grill (like me), just get yourself a Kettle, a Weber chimney in that aisle over there, and a whole bunch of the cheap charcoal you are walking past. 

• Like 2

The start to finish of my brisket smoke yesterday. I use a paste overnight (6Tbsp Ancho Chile powder, 3Tbsp mustard and 3 Tbsp Beef Better than bullion) and then rub with a mix of garlic salt, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne.

Flat trimmed and rubbed

Point trimmed and rubbed

Point pulled, cubed, rerubbed and sauced.

Finished flat and burnt ends.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

The start to finish of my brisket smoke yesterday. I use a paste overnight (6Tbsp Ancho Chile powder, 3Tbsp mustard and 3 Tbsp Beef Better than bullion) and then rub with a mix of garlic salt, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne.

Flat trimmed and rubbed

Point trimmed and rubbed

Do you ship burnt ends? :)

40 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

Just got back from Lowe's. An awful lot of people walking right past stacks of cheap charcoal to pick up terrible Char Broil gas grills. I wanted to beg all the fools to stop. If you can't afford a Weber gas grill (like me), just get yourself a Kettle, a Weber chimney in that aisle over there, and a whole bunch of the cheap charcoal you are walking past. 

I've bought 223.2 lbs of charcoal over the last week. Now all I need is a WSM. My cheap Char-grill wal=mart special offset is on it's final leg. It was a hand me down to me so I got my $$ worth but it is time to go. Here's to ya.

:banned:

44 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Flat trimmed and rubbed

Point trimmed and rubbed

I could cry. So beautiful. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

I have always had gas grills, I look at them more as a kitchen appliance whereas a charcoal grill is an event. With a gas grill, I can just flip it on, give it time to warm up like an oven, and then I'm set. Charcoal to me seems like it takes more time and effort; I understand the end result might be better, I just prefer the ease and quickness of propane. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

I have always had gas grills, I look at them more as a kitchen appliance whereas a charcoal grill is an event. With a gas grill, I can just flip it on, give it time to warm up like an oven, and then I'm set. Charcoal to me seems like it takes more time and effort; I understand the end result might be better, I just prefer the ease and quickness of propane. 

Yes.

My wife and I both work. We have kids. I grill at least a few times a week, sometimes much more. I couldn't do that with a charcoal grill.

And I own a charcoal grill. It hasn't been pulled out of the garage in yrs

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

Briquettes definitely take more time.  With natural hardwood charcoal it's much closer.  Granted, it's about a minute more prep.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

See, this is where you are doing it wrong. Yes, the charcoal grill might take a few minutes longer, but that's a few extra minutes of drinking beer. Alone. Outside with your grill.

You are cooking, which means it matters not how long you are out by your grill. All of that extra time means nothing to your wife, because you are "cooking", and they are not.

You create your own win-win situation here. Drink beer alone, while cooking, and you are pleasing your wife. All the while sitting on your patio, alone and satisfied in your solitude.

• Like 8

And smoking is even better. You get anywhere from 8-10 HOURS of "cooking".

"Can't go to Costco honey. I'm cooking."

"Can't go to that couples shower honey. I'm cooking."

"Can't go to your mothers house and rake leaves. I'm cooking."

:headbang:

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

This is exactly why I've never had a gas grill.  I have a gas stove.  If I wanted to cook over gas, I wouldn't need to leave my kitchen.

14 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

See, this is where you are doing it wrong. Yes, the charcoal grill might take a few minutes longer, but that's a few extra minutes of drinking beer. Alone. Outside with your grill.

You are cooking, which means it matters not how long you are out by your grill. All of that extra time means nothing to your wife, because you are "cooking", and they are not.

You create your own win-win situation here. Drink beer alone, while cooking, and you are pleasing your wife. All the while sitting on your patio, alone and satisfied in your solitude.

Lol yeah. I get it. 

But there's only so much time in a day 

16 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I do all of the cooking in my house. I am usually running back and forth from the deck to the kitchen to do the rest of the meal. I unfortunately am unable to drink due to medicine, so that knocks that off. :(

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

No problem with propane. It just seems that buying a low-end model generally leads to problems. Either they just don't get hot enough, or the burners wear out too quickly, and of course, the igniters for most brands barely last a week. And the grates on low-end models are usually really ####ty. A lot just end up being a piece of junk within a couple of years.

I'd love to have a gas grill. My own experience from using other people's gas grills just tells me to wait until I can afford a Weber.

23 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

This guy gets it. :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, ragincajun said:

Couple of strips up for tonight.  May go a little wacky and try a coffee rub.  Thoughts?

I'm a fan of a coffee rub. I used a coffee rub on a couple of chuck roast I referenced  a page or so back. Turned out amazing. Great stuff.

As a matter of fact I used this coffee rub

8 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Anyone with a quick recipe for Cod? Gonna go some KC Strip tonight, but the wife has a piece of Cod we need to cook. Gonna throw it on the grill. Gimme something easy with readily available ingredients. Thanks in advance.

:banned:

Delicate fish like cod is really tough to grill in my experience -- it'll stick and / or fall apart.  I'd personally recommend poaching or sautéing.  I usually dredge in flour then sauté in a little butter then hit it with fresh lemon juice and parsley.

Edited by Coeur de Lion
  • Like 1

Just now, Coeur de Lion said:

Delicate fish like cod is tough to grill in my experience.  I'd personally recommend poaching or sautéing.  I usually dredge in flour then sauté in a little butter then hit it with fresh lemon juice and parsley.

I was just going to lay it in some foil to protect the meat a bit.