What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Dan Lambskin said:
Cutting and doing separate might be your best bet, especially if you have any kind of tiered racking in your smoker, or if they’re cut will they fit side by side?

could always cut and freeze the flat for something else too if you don’t need a ton of meat, I made this awhile back with a flat and it was really good

https://www.purewow.com/recipes/french-onion-brisket
Thanks.  I am going to cut a section of the flat off so the brisket will fit and use it another time.

That's my go to site for cooking their BRITU (Best Ribs in the Universe) and Midnight Brisket. 

Love me WSM. It's a pain in the ### to clean the water pan after it gets all greasy but besides that, it works like a champ. I think I have the 18" and can usually fit a decent size brisket in the bottom rack and 3-4 racks of ribs, either spiraled or in a rack that stands them up. 

Just grilled some poppers...I didn't have thin cut bacon so I used regular...it didn't work quite as well, it shrank up some and didn't keep all the cheese contained...that said, theyre delicious.

Wrapped

About 30 min

delicious
Yeah, buddy.  Love those.  When I can't get thin enough bacon I par cook the thicker stuff a bit in the oven...maybe 10-15 minutes at 350 before assembling the poppers so it has a little headstart.  Also, if you are having trouble finding good thin stuff locally, Nueske's has some thin cut that is perfect and takes poppers to a whole 'nother level.

First long cook on the Kamado Joe today...beautiful weather...smoking an 8 lb butt.  Still learning to get the temps just right...finally after 2 hours I may have it settled in at 250 (had a slow rise that got it to 290...though wondering if one of my wood chunks ignited which caused a little spike there as it was mostly at 275 before it spiked for a couple minutes.  But now holding pretty well for the last half hour at 250 and should be good to go cruising along today.

That's my go to site for cooking their BRITU (Best Ribs in the Universe) and Midnight Brisket. 

Love me WSM. It's a pain in the ### to clean the water pan after it gets all greasy but besides that, it works like a champ. I think I have the 18" and can usually fit a decent size brisket in the bottom rack and 3-4 racks of ribs, either spiraled or in a rack that stands them up. 
I hated dealing with the water pan as well. After reading up on amazingribs.com about the real value of a water pan, I decided to fill my water pan with sand and put foil over the top. It makes the WSM heavy as hell, but the sand doesn't cool the temp like water does and helps stabilize temperatures. I didn't notice any real differences once I switched from water to sand other than I didn't have to deal with the greasy cleanup. 

I hated dealing with the water pan as well. After reading up on amazingribs.com about the real value of a water pan, I decided to fill my water pan with sand and put foil over the top. It makes the WSM heavy as hell, but the sand doesn't cool the temp like water does and helps stabilize temperatures. I didn't notice any real differences once I switched from water to sand other than I didn't have to deal with the greasy cleanup. 
Used to do the same.  I didn't notice any food difference once I dropped the water.  I didn't even put sand in there.  It made it just a little tougher to control temperature, but I was using FlameBoss for control and everything worked out fine. 

Line the water pan with foil for easy cleanup.

Last edited by a moderator:
First long cook on the Kamado Joe today...beautiful weather...smoking an 8 lb butt.  Still learning to get the temps just right...finally after 2 hours I may have it settled in at 250 (had a slow rise that got it to 290...though wondering if one of my wood chunks ignited which caused a little spike there as it was mostly at 275 before it spiked for a couple minutes.  But now holding pretty well for the last half hour at 250 and should be good to go cruising along today.
That didn't suck...12 hours and never having to open the grill, just minor adjustments to vents to hold temps all day...Im definitely hooked on this grill.

Line the water pan with foil for easy cleanup.
Easi-ER but you still end up with a pan of greasy water to dispose of.  I usually find a flat spot in my deep freeze and then toss the frozen disk in the trash right before taking the can out for pickup.

I saw someone mentioned the Weber SmokeFire series a bit ago and I just got an email from Weber last night that their SmokeFire series is on sale for $200 off now through July 13.

That makes the EX4 $799 and the EX6 $999.

I saw someone mentioned the Weber SmokeFire series a bit ago and I just got an email from Weber last night that their SmokeFire series is on sale for $200 off now through July 13.

That makes the EX4 $799 and the EX6 $999.
The lack of Weber ever discounting their other products should give pause here. I have no idea if they have fixed all of the issues with it or not but that product has not been received well by the market. 2.5-3 stars on Amazon and only 3 stars on their own site.

Anybody ever use a Blackstone? Some type of flat top grill. My buddy swears by it and I wouldn’t mind making some breakfast meals on it. 
I have done eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, breakfast burritos...on and on. Other than camping, nothing beats drinking coffee in the morning and grilling breakfast on your deck.

First brisket turned out great today.  Had to cut part of flat off to fit in smoker.  Smoked for 5 hrs then wrapped and did an additional 2.5hr.  I let it rest 1.5hrs.  Only had foil for wrap.  Next time will try butcher paper. Here is a pic of it finished and some of the leftovers. 

Brisket

Daughter requested smoked stuffed meatballs this weekend, sans sauce. We used cubed cheddar cheese (and provolone in a few) this time instead of mozzarella. Turned out good. A few were a little leaky, but really good flavor and had the right amount of smoke. Still perfecting the size of balls and amount of cheese.

Halfway done

Done

Inside
They look great

What temp and how long?

eta: sorry, just saw 90 mins on pic

Daughter requested smoked stuffed meatballs this weekend, sans sauce. We used cubed cheddar cheese (and provolone in a few) this time instead of mozzarella. Turned out good. A few were a little leaky, but really good flavor and had the right amount of smoke. Still perfecting the size of balls and amount of cheese.

Halfway done

Done

Inside
Looks great! What was the meat mix?  Last time I did them they came out about golf ball size and I decided next time to make them a bit smaller so they could be easy to eat in one bite. When they are golf ball size or larger they tend to get eaten in pieces and I think they should just be a pop in the mouth kind of snack.

Looks great! What was the meat mix?  Last time I did them they came out about golf ball size and I decided next time to make them a bit smaller so they could be easy to eat in one bite. When they are golf ball size or larger they tend to get eaten in pieces and I think they should just be a pop in the mouth kind of snack.
2 lbs 80/20 ground beef, 1 lb ground pork

I agree with you about the size. 1st time we made them, wife and daughter molded the balls. Started with the same amount of meat (pork sausage instead of ground pork though). Ended up with 23 meatballs. This time, I asked for smaller balls, and the wife ended up making 33. When I asked her to make them smaller, she whined that it was too hard to stuff the smaller balls :rolleyes:  . I think next time, I'll make the meatballs myself, and will shoot for 40.

Question, doing pulled pork and could only find small butts, so doing two 6 lb butts

I usually plan for 1.5 hr per lb, but in this case do I plan for 9-10 hrs or do I need to go by total meat weight and plan for like 18 hours?

i know the meat will tell me when it’s done, but just trying to determine if I should do an overnight cook or just get up early

i know I can rest it for a few hours but trying to avoid putting it on at 9 tonight and having it done at breakfast time when we are having it for dinner

Question, doing pulled pork and could only find small butts, so doing two 6 lb butts

I usually plan for 1.5 hr per lb, but in this case do I plan for 9-10 hrs or do I need to go by total meat weight and plan for like 18 hours?

i know the meat will tell me when it’s done, but just trying to determine if I should do an overnight cook or just get up early

i know I can rest it for a few hours but trying to avoid putting it on at 9 tonight and having it done at breakfast time when we are having it for dinner
Smaller pieces of meat will cook faster. I would budget 10-12 hours to be safe and be happy if it finishes early.

Also I noticed the meat store had some pork shoulders, (I know butt and shoulder get used interchangeably but this was the shoulder aka picnic ham).  Had a nice thick skin on it, anyone ever make one of these?  What’s the best way?  Thinking maybe some carnitas style tacos but open to other suggestions 

One nice thing about smaller pieces (aside from shorter cook time) is more bark
It's actually on my experiment list to try and cube up a pork butt into say 3" cubes like making cochinita pibil and smoke it with the goal of creating a higher bark ratio and a faster smoke. 

I've only done corn a couple of times, but we have a bunch from our produce boxes. Anyone have particular instructions that work well for you? I typically just wing it. Going to be firing up the Kamado Joe for steaks tonight.

I've only done corn a couple of times, but we have a bunch from our produce boxes. Anyone have particular instructions that work well for you? I typically just wing it. Going to be firing up the Kamado Joe for steaks tonight.
My favorite way to grill corn is by wrapping it with bacon. Don’t shuck it and use the leaves to protect the bacon. Should be especially nice on a KJ since it shouldn’t flame up too much. 

Doing steak-frites tonight.

Grilling 10oz filet mingnons indirect at 220° to an IT of 115°, then seared and served with a side of french fried taters.

Stay tuned for pics, and have a safe and fun holiday weekend, you magnificent bastards!

:banned:

Keep it simple.  Most people overthink corn.  It doesn't really need much cooking.  These days I just shuck and de-silk mine and grill it directly on the gas burner of my stove set to medium. Char it up just a bit on all sides.  Maybe 2-3 minutes total. Hit it with a little butter or coconut oil and your favorite BBQ rub or chili lime salt and it's perfect. Elotes Americana.

Keep it simple.  Most people overthink corn.  It doesn't really need much cooking.  These days I just shuck and de-silk mine and grill it directly on the gas burner of my stove set to medium. Char it up just a bit on all sides.  Maybe 2-3 minutes total. Hit it with a little butter or coconut oil and your favorite BBQ rub or chili lime salt and it's perfect. Elotes Americana.
Yeah I grill my corn naked with spread butter and chili powder on it beforehand.  I grill mine indirect for about 10 minutes and then put it over direct heat for a minute or so with lid closed until you hear "popcorn". Give it a turn, repeat and pull.

Reverse seared a 24oz ribeye and 8oz filet today on the Akorn. Cooked them indirect at 240° until internal temp hit 115°, then seared em over hot coals, topped with butter, and let em rest for about 5 min. Had sauteed asparagus and crock pot cowboy beans on the side. Killer meal.

We have the meats!

pulled at 115°

Seared and resting

Ribeye on left, filet on right

Ribeye plated
Stupid rookie question: I thought you were always supposed to do the searing part first to seal in the moisture, and then do the slow internal cook?

Stupid rookie question: I thought you were always supposed to do the searing part first to seal in the moisture, and then do the slow internal cook?
The myth is the sealing in moisture or juices...searing is really just for the texture m/crust in the outside.

A proper rest after cooking does more for “sealing in moisture”.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just encountered a terrible tragedy in my house.  I lost my hard copy of Mr. Ham's BBQ Sauce recipe.  I got it from these boards probably over a decade ago, and stored it on my work computer.  I got a new computer at work, and it looks like the folder I had saved it in is gone.  My hard copy is gone.

I did a search on the boards, but nothing came up.  Anyone have this recipe, or know the link to the original?

It is amazing sauce.  I had a full 8x10 piece of paper with small font listing the ingredients.  Making ribs today and was hoping to use it, but now I'm dealing with anxiety over the loss of the classic.

For those of you guys smoking for 10-12 hours, you may want to look into higher smoke temps. A lot of guys on the local BBQ contests have gone to this technique - and winning.

Cuts cook times dramatically and still produces quality product. I’m talking 300 - 350 degrees.  

I’m a purist as much as anyone, but I have experimented with it and it works.

For those of you guys smoking for 10-12 hours, you may want to look into higher smoke temps. A lot of guys on the local BBQ contests have gone to this technique - and winning.

Cuts cook times dramatically and still produces quality product. I’m talking 300 - 350 degrees.  

Can you give me an example with say two racks of spares?

I do briskets and pulled pork hot and fast.  Works well.  Small window for error with brisket but still comes out juicy.  Just note the finishing temps can be higher.  Otherwise there isn’t really a downside and i don’t miss waking up super early to get started.

Can you give me an example with say two racks of spares?
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/rendezvous-ribs-recipe-ribs-hurry

Though don’t really have to go that high and fast.  Ive done 300-350 before and notice no real difference in taste.  I dont foil or sauce will mop or spray/spritz a little.  Not sure on timing as its all just sort of based on how they look and when the meat is pulling back from the bone. Plan for 3-4 hours then wrap them in foil of they are done early to keep warm and throw em in a cooler.

I know Myron Mixon is big on it, I tired it last year with a brisket and I thought it was a little dry, but my smoker wasn’t great either

i may give it a try again

Hot and fast is the way of my Gateway Drum Smoker.  The sweet spot is 300 degrees for everything:  brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken wangs, everything.  It’s so nice to be able to start a rib cook at like 3pm on the weekends rather than prepping in the morning 

The whole point of the reverse sear is to sear last. You cook it low and slow til you hit your target internal temp, then give it a quick sear for char. This gives you the wall to wall color you see in the steaks without the gray outer band.

Plus, going slow with the steaks allows them to get good smoke flavor from the lump charcoal. They actually taste like they're smoked and then grilled. Fantastic. 

Users who are viewing this thread