Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***


Recommended Posts

Did grilled buffalo chicken legs and thighs tonight. Grill the chicken over direct heat, brush with Buffalo sauce when they're close to done and get a nice char on both sides. Pull, let rest for 5-10 minutes (which crisps up the skin), toss in more buffalo sauce, sprinkle crumbled Bleu cheese on top, and serve with a side of ranch and/or bleu cheese and a garden salad. Tasty summer meal.

so good

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At Memphis in May I Hosted Roberto Mora, owner and head chef of El Mercado and Cuci Suco BBQ pit in Cuenca, Equador. He came in for the festival and commented on our IG page so I reached out and exten

Here we go, fellas...tried something today Ive never done before...pork belly burnt ends aka Meat Candy (Ive never done PB or BE at home), and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the Akorn. They both tu

Weekend cookout draft went well... some pics:  Our private barrel pick of Eagle Rare for 155th Airlift Squadron came in so popped one while prepping the meat.  Bush's Homestyle beans churched

Picked up an 18" Weber smokey mountain off a local swap today for $165.  Was an older gentleman that owned it, bought it a couple years ago and never used it (still had the plastic on the bottom.  I can't wait to play with it next weekend.  I have been using a weber kettle, but I wanted to get something that would give me more surface area to cook when all the kids are home (enjoy making ribs for the whole crew of 5 + 2).  I debated getting a electric or propane smoker, but I enjoy playing  with charcoal too much.   Any good tips from you that already have?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, snellman said:

Picked up an 18" Weber smokey mountain off a local swap today for $165.  Was an older gentleman that owned it, bought it a couple years ago and never used it (still had the plastic on the bottom.  I can't wait to play with it next weekend.  I have been using a weber kettle, but I wanted to get something that would give me more surface area to cook when all the kids are home (enjoy making ribs for the whole crew of 5 + 2).  I debated getting a electric or propane smoker, but I enjoy playing  with charcoal too much.   Any good tips from you that already have?

 

You'll love it.  I found that I don't use water as much in mine any more as when I initially got it.  Still have the pan in place, but run it empty.  Let's me get temps up some times when I want em a bit hotter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bryhamm said:

 

You'll love it.  I found that I don't use water as much in mine any more as when I initially got it.  Still have the pan in place, but run it empty.  Let's me get temps up some times when I want em a bit hotter.

I hated cleaning the water bowl on this thing. It was an absolute mess. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bryhamm said:

Line it with foil first.  Makes the cleanup much, much easier.

Easier, but still gross. I filled mine with sand and now don't have to worry about dumping out a giant pan of water and grease. Holds temps perfectly and cleanup is as easy as folding in some tin foil.

(You did say you don't use water, which would make lining that pan with foil an easy cleanup. But if you use water, even with a foil-lined pan it's still something I don't want to deal with.) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, snellman said:

Picked up an 18" Weber smokey mountain off a local swap today for $165.  Was an older gentleman that owned it, bought it a couple years ago and never used it (still had the plastic on the bottom.  I can't wait to play with it next weekend.  I have been using a weber kettle, but I wanted to get something that would give me more surface area to cook when all the kids are home (enjoy making ribs for the whole crew of 5 + 2).  I debated getting a electric or propane smoker, but I enjoy playing  with charcoal too much.   Any good tips from you that already have?

A full charcoal chimney of hot coals and the minion method will give you enough fuel for probably 10-12 hours if not more depending on outside temperatures.  As others have said I don't even use the water bowl at this point.  Mine just basically catches grease and I clean it out once or twice a year.  You may want to fill it for these earlier cooks though as it will probably run hotter initially.  This past year I just threw it away and ordered a new one.  :D   

It's pretty much set it and forget it once you have it dialed in though.  Probably self explanatory, but make sure the top vent is 100% open at all times. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, snellman said:

Picked up an 18" Weber smokey mountain off a local swap today for $165.  Was an older gentleman that owned it, bought it a couple years ago and never used it (still had the plastic on the bottom.  I can't wait to play with it next weekend.  I have been using a weber kettle, but I wanted to get something that would give me more surface area to cook when all the kids are home (enjoy making ribs for the whole crew of 5 + 2).  I debated getting a electric or propane smoker, but I enjoy playing  with charcoal too much.   Any good tips from you that already have?

Buy a slightly smaller grate for the charcoal that can crosshatch with the stock grate and fit inside the ring. Charcoal won’t fall through the grates as readily giving you a longer burn of your fuel. 
 

Big space between the bottom and top cooking grate. Drill a few holes midway and use inverted L brackets with another grate to increase volume. 
 

3-2-1 method has worked great for me with ribs. 
 

Endless youtube videos to benefit from. Congrats on a great buy. 👍🏼

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

A full charcoal chimney of hot coals and the minion method will give you enough fuel for probably 10-12 hours if not more depending on outside temp

If I put a full chimney of lit coals in my WSM my initial temp is 300+ even with all the bottom vents closed. 
 

i still struggle getting my temps dialed in for the first hour. It’s either way to hot or I’m running wide open trying to raise it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually will load up the ring with however much I want to use.  I will then flip my weber chimney over and load up what is normally the bottom from the stuff in the ring.  Light just that small amount (maybe 20 briquettes) and then when burning, dump it back into the void from the ring when you pulled it out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 7:30 PM, [icon] said:

Not so much Grilling or Smoking, but took my first stab at Picanha steak tonight.

Coarse Salt Only

Sous Vide @ 135 for 2 hours 

Sear in cast iron (touch of unsalted butter) and hit the fat cap with a torch. 
 

Oh. My. God. 
So rich and tender.

One of the best steaks I've ever had. 

Where did you get your meat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bryhamm said:

Yeah, if you are going minion method for long cooks, I would not recommend starting with a full chimney of lit coals.

I use about a half full or 2/3 full chimney...it's basically just enough lit coals to sprinkle across the unlit.  In my experience, with lump charcoal I use 1/2 full at most...it seems to burn hotter and the unlit seems to beginning burning faster as a result.  If I put too much in the chimney, I often times will have the smallest of openings in each of the vents.

I should be clear, this is on a 22 inch weber....I think the most you'd need on an 18 inch would be half a chimney...just something to play with.  I'll say, for me, it's easier to get a hotter fire under control rather than try to get one that didn't have enough fuel at the beginning to warm up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Commish said:

I use about a half full or 2/3 full chimney...it's basically just enough lit coals to sprinkle across the unlit.  In my experience, with lump charcoal I use 1/2 full at most...it seems to burn hotter and the unlit seems to beginning burning faster as a result.  If I put too much in the chimney, I often times will have the smallest of openings in each of the vents.

I should be clear, this is on a 22 inch weber....I think the most you'd need on an 18 inch would be half a chimney...just something to play with.  I'll say, for me, it's easier to get a hotter fire under control rather than try to get one that didn't have enough fuel at the beginning to warm up.

Good points.  I am using an 18in as well, plus using regular kingsford briquettes and not lump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bryhamm said:

Good points.  I am using an 18in as well, plus using regular kingsford briquettes and not lump.

Yeah, when I do briquettes, I do enough briquettes so I can sprinkle hot ones over all the unlit, which is about half the chimney for me...if I'm doing ribs and I KNOW it's only going to be 4-5 hours, I might light more than that and let them get scorching hot (basically completely white).  That gets things up to temp quicker so I can start cooking quicker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First pulled pork on the Traeger this weekend, turned out great.  Five pound pork butt from Butcher Box, so good quality.  Just sprinkled all over with some rub, 225 for 3 hours then put it in a foil pan and it went for another 4 or 5 hours until it hit 190.  Wrapped in foil for an hour and put it in a cooler (I had to leave to go run an errand as it was done quicker than I thought), de-fatted the drippings from the pan, shredded it, and then added the drippings back in. 

The family has different preferences for sauce so I made a Carolina style vinegar/ketchup/brown sugar/spices sauce, put out some Sweet Baby Rays, and let people decide on their own how they wanted to put theirs together.  Also made a vinegar-based slaw with cabbage, carrots, jalapeno, cilantro, chilli flakes and cayenne.  It would have been nice to have a creamy slaw, it was like vinegar on top of vinegar with the Carolina sauce, but my daughter is allergic to eggs so I can't use mayo - might look for an alternative like yogurt or something next time.

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

First pulled pork on the Traeger this weekend, turned out great.  Five pound pork butt from Butcher Box, so good quality.  Just sprinkled all over with some rub, 225 for 3 hours then put it in a foil pan and it went for another 4 or 5 hours until it hit 190.  Wrapped in foil for an hour and put it in a cooler (I had to leave to go run an errand as it was done quicker than I thought), de-fatted the drippings from the pan, shredded it, and then added the drippings back in. 

The family has different preferences for sauce so I made a Carolina style vinegar/ketchup/brown sugar/spices sauce, put out some Sweet Baby Rays, and let people decide on their own how they wanted to put theirs together.  Also made a vinegar-based slaw with cabbage, carrots, jalapeno, cilantro, chilli flakes and cayenne.  It would have been nice to have a creamy slaw, it was like vinegar on top of vinegar with the Carolina sauce, but my daughter is allergic to eggs so I can't use mayo - might look for an alternative like yogurt or something next time.

 

Looks great!

For a mayo alternative, maybe try  Hellmans Vegan Mayo ..it probably doesn't taste exactly like regular mayo, but for slaw its probably fine.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

.

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

I use meat forks/shredders and they work ok 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

I just use forks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

First pulled pork on the Traeger this weekend, turned out great.  Five pound pork butt from Butcher Box, so good quality.  Just sprinkled all over with some rub, 225 for 3 hours then put it in a foil pan and it went for another 4 or 5 hours until it hit 190.  Wrapped in foil for an hour and put it in a cooler (I had to leave to go run an errand as it was done quicker than I thought), de-fatted the drippings from the pan, shredded it, and then added the drippings back in. 

The family has different preferences for sauce so I made a Carolina style vinegar/ketchup/brown sugar/spices sauce, put out some Sweet Baby Rays, and let people decide on their own how they wanted to put theirs together.  Also made a vinegar-based slaw with cabbage, carrots, jalapeno, cilantro, chilli flakes and cayenne.  It would have been nice to have a creamy slaw, it was like vinegar on top of vinegar with the Carolina sauce, but my daughter is allergic to eggs so I can't use mayo - might look for an alternative like yogurt or something next time.

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

I got these so I could run around and yell WOLVERINE RAWR.  Then I found out they are also practical.

Edited by Hankmoody
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

I got these so I could run around and yell WOLVERINE RAWR.  Then I found out they are also practical.

My sister in law gave me some of the plastic ones for Christmas.  They work pretty well to tear up a pork butt as well as grabbing it or other large slabs of meat off of the grill you are just going to shred anyway.  Once its mostly pulled apart if you want to get more detailed and grab any fat out or shred it smaller by hand it is usually cool enough to do by hand after those.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

First pulled pork on the Traeger this weekend, turned out great.  Five pound pork butt from Butcher Box, so good quality.  Just sprinkled all over with some rub, 225 for 3 hours then put it in a foil pan and it went for another 4 or 5 hours until it hit 190.  Wrapped in foil for an hour and put it in a cooler (I had to leave to go run an errand as it was done quicker than I thought), de-fatted the drippings from the pan, shredded it, and then added the drippings back in. 

The family has different preferences for sauce so I made a Carolina style vinegar/ketchup/brown sugar/spices sauce, put out some Sweet Baby Rays, and let people decide on their own how they wanted to put theirs together.  Also made a vinegar-based slaw with cabbage, carrots, jalapeno, cilantro, chilli flakes and cayenne.  It would have been nice to have a creamy slaw, it was like vinegar on top of vinegar with the Carolina sauce, but my daughter is allergic to eggs so I can't use mayo - might look for an alternative like yogurt or something next time.

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

It's not coleslaw and it's not creamy but lime juice and olive oil make a decent cabbage conidment that might be enough of a change from white/cider vinegar.  

Regardless, I'm just about always coating the shredded cabbage with salt and sugar for about ten minutes then rinsing and drying before building the slaw.  Picked up the technique from serious eats and I like the effect on taste and texture of the cabbage.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munga30 said:

It's not coleslaw and it's not creamy but lime juice and olive oil make a decent cabbage conidment that might be enough of a change from white/cider vinegar.  

Regardless, I'm just about always coating the shredded cabbage with salt and sugar for about ten minutes then rinsing and drying before building the slaw.  Picked up the technique from serious eats and I like the effect on taste and texture of the cabbage.  

thanks, I'll give that a try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

.

Even after an hour in foil the meat was still hot enough that it was hard to shred by hand - anybody have a recommendation for some thin gloves with just a little insulation that works well for that kind of thing?  I have some thick rubber gloves for taking things off the grill, but they're too thick for something like shredding pork.

I use these and they can be found at Sam's

 

https://www.autozone.com/gloves/disposable-gloves/grease-monkey-nitrile-coated-work-glove/879255_0_0

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Giving the Smokey mountain her first run today.  Have a shoulder on the bottom rack and a Loin on the top rack.  I am going to pull the loin early again and slice it up for future grills because it was a big hit last time.  Shoulder may not be ready for supper tonight because I got a later start than I wanted due to rain so I pulled out some hamburger as a backup plan and may try smoking some burgers for supper.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go, fellas...tried something today Ive never done before...pork belly burnt ends aka Meat Candy (Ive never done PB or BE at home), and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the Akorn. They both turned out absolutely killer. The pork belly was melt in your mouth, and the poppers were the best Ive done.

Cubed the pork belly, coated it with oil and a basic rub...an hour later I put it on the smoker at 250° (indirect) with lump, hickory and apple wood for 2.5 hours. Pulled, put in aluminum pan with butter and brown sugar...covered and back on grill for 1.5 hours. Pulled and coated in BBQ, maple syrup, and a shot of bourbon. Back on grill uncovered at about 350° for 20 min or so. Done.

The jalapeños were halved, cored, and got a sprinkle of garlic and onion powder. Then cream cheese, a cheddar/Gruyère blend, and wrapped with bacon. Grilled over indirect at 375-400° for about 30 minutes.

cubed last night

cubes rubbed and waiting for grill to heat up

pork belly 2 hours in

beer break

sauced, ready to finish uncovered

Finished pork belly burnt ends

 

jalapeno poppers ready for grill

poppers 20 minutes in

Finished jalapeno poppers

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up doing burgers on the Smokey mountain because the shoulder was not ready yet and it was getting time to feed the crew.  Had them on about 90 minutes.  Nothing fancy, but the family really enjoyed them and they had a good smoke ring even for a burger. Will pull them off a little earlier next time because they cooked a little quicker than planned but I was trying to get everything else done and my timing was a bit off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Any Estimates on smoking time for beef short ribs?  Not super meaty, probably 6 bones like a 1/2lb each

couple or hours low heat sufficient?

I think these must be cut short ribs.  I normally cook a full plate of 3 short ribs for about 9 or 10 hours.  But these are usually 6-8 pounds for all 3 ribs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I think these must be cut short ribs.  I normally cook a full plate of 3 short ribs for about 9 or 10 hours.  But these are usually 6-8 pounds for all 3 ribs.

Yeah they look like this 

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/raw-organic-beef-short-ribs-stock-photo_csp69002041.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Those would benefit most from a long-ish low and slow cook.  5-7 hours on the smoker at 225-250 or sous vide for 48 hours and sear.

Ok thanks longer than expected but not a big deal

ive seen some recipes that call for braising after initial smoke period, I think I’m gonna just smoke all the way through this time, next time I may experiment with wrapping or braising on the smoker

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Ok thanks longer than expected but not a big deal

ive seen some recipes that call for braising after initial smoke period, I think I’m gonna just smoke all the way through this time, next time I may experiment with wrapping or braising on the smoker

They will get butter tender like brisket when done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, berndog said:

If I put a full chimney of lit coals in my WSM my initial temp is 300+ even with all the bottom vents closed. 
 

i still struggle getting my temps dialed in for the first hour. It’s either way to hot or I’m running wide open trying to raise it. 

Yep. Half chimney over unlit coals is plenty  for WSM

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

They will get butter tender like brisket when done.

Well these unfortunately were disappointing 

temps got a little higher than I had wanted (was doing other things so not watching foo close), probably 250-275 range

i checked them after a few hours (195) and they were pretty tough, tried braising them the last hour or so but I think it was too late for that 

If I did them again I’d probably smoke till 145ish then braise for a few hours 

flavor was good but just too tough unfortunately.  Keeping them 225ish for longer might have worked too

also had some ribeye caps so grilled those up

https://imgur.com/gallery/mKaXA9i

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Well these unfortunately were disappointing 

temps got a little higher than I had wanted (was doing other things so not watching foo close), probably 250-275 range

i checked them after a few hours (195) and they were pretty tough, tried braising them the last hour or so but I think it was too late for that 

If I did them again I’d probably smoke till 145ish then braise for a few hours 

flavor was good but just too tough unfortunately.  Keeping them 225ish for longer might have worked too

also had some ribeye caps so grilled those up

https://imgur.com/gallery/mKaXA9i

That's what I do... Smoke at like 235-250 until about 160, then put in a foil pan, covered, usually with some beef broth or some liquid. Then pull at 198-203... whenever the probe goes in like butter. It's my kids' favorite meal. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Well these unfortunately were disappointing 

temps got a little higher than I had wanted (was doing other things so not watching foo close), probably 250-275 range

i checked them after a few hours (195) and they were pretty tough, tried braising them the last hour or so but I think it was too late for that 

If I did them again I’d probably smoke till 145ish then braise for a few hours 

flavor was good but just too tough unfortunately.  Keeping them 225ish for longer might have worked too

also had some ribeye caps so grilled those up

https://imgur.com/gallery/mKaXA9i

Mmmmm...love ribeye caps. Sorry the ribs didn't work out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Mmmmm...love ribeye caps. Sorry the ribs didn't work out. 

 

It happens.  I’ve been keeping a log of all my cooks so this will just be a data point for how to improve next time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Made pork belly burnt ends and they were a big hit.  Took notes on GrillinFools and HowToBBQRight and both were money.  Used "Renowned Mr. Brown" rub from VirtualWebberBullet and my buddy's dad's NC style sauce recipe wherever sauce was called for, mostly in the glaze, I think.  Also subbed in apricot jam for apple jelly in the glaze because I couldn't find the latter in store.  about 2.5 hours in some cherry smoke at about 275, into a foiled pan with brown sugar, honey, and butter (this is the most key ingredient in the whole process, imo) for another 1.5 hours.  I cooked day before the party so I let the ends cool a bit and put them in clean trays with maybe 2-3 tablespoons of the braising liquid and put them in the fridge overnight.  At the party, trays went onto a propane grill to reheat and then glaze.  So good.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

I didn't make this, but I got it last week down at the beach and it was so freakin amazing I cant stop thinking about it.

Charred octopus w/ chimichurri

I love these things.  First had it in Puerto Rico. A local greek restaurant serves them on Saturday nights and they are awesome. Another local chef soaks them in beet juice, sous vides them, and then chars them. Those are phenomenal as well. I bought some and tried to replicate it and they came out like rubber dog toys.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Here you go.  Makes a lot.  My comments in red, the rest are the notes from the original.

·       1 1/3 cups Blackstrap Mollasses

·       1 1/3 cups loosely packed brown sugar

·       1/2 cup pure cane sugar

·       1/3 cup Red Raspberry vinegar (apple cider)

·       1 - 15 oz. can of Hunt's tomato sauce

·       2 1/2 tablespoons Cholula Chili Garlic hot sauce (I do Franks Red Hot Sauce)

·       10oz Hunt's tomato paste

·       1 cup honey

·       2/3 cup apple cider vinegar

·       6 cups Heinz tomato ketchup

·       2 cups Annie's Naturals Organic ketchup (thicker than Heinz)

·       NOTE: It's not absolutely essential that you use the same ketcups I do. I initially made a batch with Heinz and the overall sauce was a bit thin. I found that adding the thicker ketchup created the perfect texture. I think adding just the thicker ketchup would make the overall sauce too thick. So this is how I make it. If you have your own recipe for ketchup or want to substitute, fine. The overall thickness of the sauce should be such that if you put it in a spoon and pour it, it takes a moment for the sauce to pour off.) (I do all generic ketchup (why pay for Heinz when you're adding so much seasoning?) and cook it down for a while until it is the thickness I desire).

·       1/2 cup corn syrup

·       OPTIONAL: 1 3/4 tablespoons Figaro liquid smoke (Some people think this is blasphemy. I like the taste.)

·       1 level teaspoon Pete's House Blend coffee grounds (I've never added coffee, as we are not coffee drinkers so I don't have this around)

·       1/4 cup Marinelli's Apple Juice

·       2 tablespoons Pomegranate Juice Concentrate (This is expensive. Can substitute with pineapple juice.)(I just do grape juice concentrate, sometimes a little more and no juice, this recipe certainly is more art than science)

·       1/2 cup Chimay Ale (Peres Trappistes) (Again, I'm a snob. You could probably use Coors and it'd be close enough.)(I just do whatever beer I have in the house.  Half the beer in the pot, half to drink while adding the rest)

·       1 teaspoon celery salt

·       1/2 teaspoon paprika

·       1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

·       2 teaspoons onion powder

·       1 tablespoon dried minced onions

·       1 1/2 tablespoons Chipolte chile pepper

·       1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

·       1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

·       2 tablespoons rosemary (I personally like the fact that there's rosemary randomly in the sauce. If you don't want this, crush it or don't use it or strain the sauce.)

·       1/2 teaspoon ground oregano

·       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

·       1 teaspoon basil leaves

·       1 teaspoon salt

·       3 LARGE cloves freshly pressed garlic

Finally tried this.

 

omg :wub:

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been wanting to start making pizzas at home on the kamado, and I finally just ordered a pizza stone and peel...can't wait til they get here. The biggest issue I see ahead is making dough. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it, and I've found a few recipes I'm gonna try...Ive never had luck making dough of any kind, but Im gonna figure it out if it kills me.

Any tips for a noob pizza maker on a kamado grill?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Ive been wanting to start making pizzas at home on the kamado, and I finally just ordered a pizza stone and peel...can't wait til they get here. The biggest issue I see ahead is making dough. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it, and I've found a few recipes I'm gonna try...Ive never had luck making dough of any kind, but Im gonna figure it out if it kills me.

Any tips for a noob pizza maker on a kamado grill?

You could buy dough from a local pizzeria that you like until you get the hang of making pizza and want to try your own dough. Most of them sell it.  Publix sells it in the bakery section as well but I find there's to be too sweet for high heat cooking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

You could buy dough from a local pizzeria that you like until you get the hang of making pizza and want to try your own dough. Most of them sell it.  Publix sells it in the bakery section as well but I find there's to be too sweet for high heat cooking.

I actually tried Publix dough tonight for oven pizza...all I have right now is this perforated pizza pan...the pizza was good but the crust was the weakest part. Its what inspired me to order the stone and peel. 

Tonight's pepperoni mushroom pizza

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Ive been wanting to start making pizzas at home on the kamado, and I finally just ordered a pizza stone and peel...can't wait til they get here. The biggest issue I see ahead is making dough. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it, and I've found a few recipes I'm gonna try...Ive never had luck making dough of any kind, but Im gonna figure it out if it kills me.

Any tips for a noob pizza maker on a kamado grill?

Let me know how it comes out, my first attempt was a disaster but i didn’t preheat my stone 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...