What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Ive been wanting to start making pizzas at home on the kamado, and I finally just ordered a pizza stone and peel...can't wait til they get here. The biggest issue I see ahead is making dough. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it, and I've found a few recipes I'm gonna try...Ive never had luck making dough of any kind, but Im gonna figure it out if it kills me.

Any tips for a noob pizza maker on a kamado grill?
A kamado can get ridiculously hot.  That's great for pizza...but be careful.  I had mine up to well over 1,000 degrees by leaving the lid open and letting it rage for maybe 15 minutes max. That was too hot for making pizza. Tough to get the cheese melted before the crust was totally charred. A little char is good but too much, eh.  These days I cook pizzas on my pizza oven that sits atop my gas grill. It has oven brick on top and bottom so cooks real even and I find that about 700-800 is perfect. I'd guess with the lid closed and a pre-heated pizza stone the kamado should be about the same.  2-3 minutes is all it should take.

Have to preheat the stone. Took me a long time to figure out Neapolitan dough, got Sicilian and Chicago Deep dish down much faster. The other thing is depending on what your making you temps and times vary a lot.
Im a big fan of neapolitan, its what I'm gonna try to master first.

Got a recipe you can share?

Grilling some fresh Redfish and speckled trout. Nothing beats some fish that has only been dead for less than 2 hours.  I finally managed to catch a few fish from the surf. All summer I have only been catching trash fish, sharks, stingrays, gaftops, etc.

Filleting them boneless, skinless, with just a little butter as seasoning. High heat for a minute or two on each side.

:Edit:

I take that back, redfish is great, speckled trout is average. I have never kept them before since before this year I always fished offshore. I am not sure why they are so popular among the inshore crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grilling some fresh Redfish and speckled trout. Nothing beats some fish that has only been dead for less than 2 hours.  I finally managed to catch a few fish from the surf. All summer I have only been catching trash fish, sharks, stingrays, gaftops, etc.

Filleting them boneless, skinless, with just a little butter as seasoning. High heat for a minute or two on each side.

I take that back, redfish is great, speckled trout is average. I have never kept them before since before this year I always fished offshore. I am not sure why they are so popular among the inshore crowd.
Love redfish

I dig seatrout...its not as firm as redfish, but its great broiled with a little butter, wine, lemon juice, and s&p to taste, or topped with toasted almond slivers.

I love meat but the rest of my family not so much. I want to purchase a grill/bbq but realized it would be stupid to over do it. Any recommendations for a smaller-size smoker/grill? Something with very easy start up and very easy clean up. Noob friendly. Thanks

does anybody have a pit barrel smoker?

I love meat but the rest of my family not so much. I want to purchase a grill/bbq but realized it would be stupid to over do it. Any recommendations for a smaller-size smoker/grill? Something with very easy start up and very easy clean up. Noob friendly. Thanks

does anybody have a pit barrel smoker?
Sous vide is your hero here.

A kamado can get ridiculously hot.  That's great for pizza...but be careful.  I had mine up to well over 1,000 degrees by leaving the lid open and letting it rage for maybe 15 minutes max. That was too hot for making pizza. Tough to get the cheese melted before the crust was totally charred. A little char is good but too much, eh.  These days I cook pizzas on my pizza oven that sits atop my gas grill. It has oven brick on top and bottom so cooks real even and I find that about 700-800 is perfect. I'd guess with the lid closed and a pre-heated pizza stone the kamado should be about the same.  2-3 minutes is all it should take.
I owned a restaurant with a brick wood fired oven. We specialized in pizzas using Neapolitan dough with Caputo flour from Italy.  Our target temp on the oven was 750.  

I owned a restaurant with a brick wood fired oven. We specialized in pizzas using Neapolitan dough with Caputo flour from Italy.  Our target temp on the oven was 750.  
I've got Caputo flour (blue) on the way with my stone, they should be here tomorrow.

Ron Swanson said:
https://www.kamadojoe.com/products/dojoe-classic

I've never tried one of those, but it looks like a great idea.  It's a little pricey and sold out, but maybe someone here has tried it and can let us know what they think.

made my second brisket yesterday.  14 hours at 225. injected with beef consomme. applied rub.  waited for 165 temp to wrap with butcher paper.  waited again to 203 internal temp.  probe tender. family and friends loved it.  me...meh. the brisket was a little over 18lbs from Sam's.  choice grade.       the meat had a good "smoke ring" and pulled apart easily.  very limp (is that the term when it flops over your finger after cutting slices? )      😏   

what am I missing?  maybe I don't like brisket?  maybe need to try a snake river farms waygu style brisket?   with as much work that went into this cook I was hoping for something life changing. 

made my second brisket yesterday.  14 hours at 225. injected with beef consomme. applied rub.  waited for 165 temp to wrap with butcher paper.  waited again to 203 internal temp.  probe tender. family and friends loved it.  me...meh. the brisket was a little over 18lbs from Sam's.  choice grade.       the meat had a good "smoke ring" and pulled apart easily.  very limp (is that the term when it flops over your finger after cutting slices? )      😏   

what am I missing?  maybe I don't like brisket?  maybe need to try a snake river farms waygu style brisket?   with as much work that went into this cook I was hoping for something life changing. 
I'd be lying if I didn't have similar experiences now....I think it might be that I am just not a big fan of brisket.  It's always meh to me.  

I'd be lying if I didn't have similar experiences now....I think it might be that I am just not a big fan of brisket.  It's always meh to me.  
I've had the opposite experience lately.  My buddy smoked a brisket that was to die for, and I'm not at all a brisket guy.  I might go so far as to say I dislike(d) brisket.  I've since done one hillbilly smoked and cooked sous vide (in three parts) and the effort is coming along learningly.  Taste/flavor has been great, working on texture but I think next one should be "the one".

I do the serious eats Basic New York Style.  While it calls for a food processor, I've gotten by just fine throwing everything in the KitchenAid bowl with dough hook. 

I've found homemade dough is much better to work with than store bought - much easier to roll to a thin layer. 

My pizza stone grill cover thing should be here soon.  We made pizzas last night on the grill - worked good except for parchment paper burning up in second ( Pain in the ash).  Still having the crust cook much quicker than the cheese and toppings, so looking forward to the stone cover.  

I would question the injection here.  That is totally unnecessary.  If you're cutting it pencil width thickness it really shouldn't "flop".  Did you use UN-waxed butcher paper? And did you slice against the grain for both muscles, like you would slice fajitas?

Ive been wanting to start making pizzas at home on the kamado, and I finally just ordered a pizza stone and peel...can't wait til they get here. The biggest issue I see ahead is making dough. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it, and I've found a few recipes I'm gonna try...Ive never had luck making dough of any kind, but Im gonna figure it out if it kills me.      Any tips for a noob pizza maker on a kamado grill?
You could buy dough from a local pizzeria that you like until you get the hang of making pizza and want to try your own dough. Most of them sell it.  Publix sells it in the bakery section as well but I find there's to be too sweet for high heat cooking.
General question:    I've made pizza on the gas grill a couple of times this summer but don't want the hassle/time of making dough.    Any recommendations?

General question:    I've made pizza on the gas grill a couple of times this summer but don't want the hassle/time of making dough.    Any recommendations?
Buy it from a local pizzeria or Publix (in the bakery they sell bags of raw pizza dough), but the Publix dough may be too sweet for some or high heat cooking.

We did a lot of outdoor work this year which we bought at Menards so have a couple hundred dollars coming back in rebates.
Our current Electric smoker is about to die so looking to upgrade to a Pellet smoker.

Below are the 3 I've been looking at to buy with the rebates. Looking for insight from others if they have any of the brands and/or advice.

Big Horn® Teton 1375 Wood Pellet Grill - $355

Oklahoma Joe's® Rider 900 Wood Pellet Grill -  $428

Pit Boss® Portable Ranch Hand Wood Pellet Grill - $294

Originally we were going to go with the Pit Boss.... but reviews that I found stated the Customer Service sucked and that they tended to break down and hard to get parts.

I would question the injection here.  That is totally unnecessary.  If you're cutting it pencil width thickness it really shouldn't "flop".  Did you use UN-waxed butcher paper? And did you slice against the grain for both muscles, like you would slice fajitas?
followed a recipe from Myron which included injection.   pencil thick yes.  in fact pencil thick is exactly what I was going for due to Myron starting that exact width pencil thick.  pink butcher paper from Amazon unwaxed.  removed point and sliced into burnt ends.  had a notch cut to make sure I cut against the grain for the flat because it is impossible to see with a bark.   again everyone else loved it.  

So my first attenpt at pizza on the Akorn was a success! Got my stone up to 750° and they cooked in less than 3 minutes. I cooked 2 pies - a small (10-12 inch) practice one, and a bigger one (about 14 inches)... I let the temp drop a bit on the grill between cooking them so the crust on the second/bigger one wasnt as good as the first (no leoparding and it didn't crisp up like I wanted) but both pies were really friggin good...Next time Ill watch the temp better. I also need to rotate them halfway thru cooking, but lessons like these were expected.

The crust/dough was excellent (60% hydration) despite the fact that I was only able to let it ferment/proof for 24 hours. Next time I'm going 48 hours. The other thing I'm going to do is stick with making smaller pies, theyre much easier to stretch and manage with the peel.

That was the first time I ran that grill that hot (650+ in the dome) for that long, and man...I thought the damn thing might melt, lol. One things for sure, any food residue that was on the grill grates are long gone!!!

pizza stone setup

stone/deflector gap

practice pie

crust shot

pepperoni mushroom 

followed a recipe from Myron which included injection.   pencil thick yes.  in fact pencil thick is exactly what I was going for due to Myron starting that exact width pencil thick.  pink butcher paper from Amazon unwaxed.  removed point and sliced into burnt ends.  had a notch cut to make sure I cut against the grain for the flat because it is impossible to see with a bark.   again everyone else loved it.  
I'd try it without the injection next time. Or try a Prime brisket.  They do yield better results but frankly with a high choice you should have good results as well. Just not as much margin for error.

We did a lot of outdoor work this year which we bought at Menards so have a couple hundred dollars coming back in rebates.
Our current Electric smoker is about to die so looking to upgrade to a Pellet smoker.

Below are the 3 I've been looking at to buy with the rebates. Looking for insight from others if they have any of the brands and/or advice.

Big Horn® Teton 1375 Wood Pellet Grill - $355

Oklahoma Joe's® Rider 900 Wood Pellet Grill -  $428

Pit Boss® Portable Ranch Hand Wood Pellet Grill - $294

Originally we were going to go with the Pit Boss.... but reviews that I found stated the Customer Service sucked and that they tended to break down and hard to get parts.
Can you go a little higher?  If so the Camp Chef gets great reviews. 

Once my Akorn finally cooled down, I noticed the felt gasket (aftermarket) was completely incinerated, and the factory gasket was pretty flat and crispy...I did the pinch method all around (had to use pliers in a couple spots) and as I was pinching it sounded and felt like it was filled with ash or fine sand...lol...I replaced the felt one (on the lower bowl) and will see how the gaskets perform next few cooks and if the factory one bounces back.

I think I could have cremated a human head earlier when it was blazing at it hottest. I don't think the non-ceramic Akorns were built for 600+ temps. Lol

Once my Akorn finally cooled down, I noticed the felt gasket (aftermarket) was completely incinerated, and the factory gasket was pretty flat and crispy...I did the pinch method all around (had to use pliers in a couple spots) and as I was pinching it sounded and felt like it was filled with ash or fine sand...lol...I replaced the felt one (on the lower bowl) and will see how the gaskets perform next few cooks and if the factory one bounces back.

I think I could have cremated a human head earlier when it was blazing at it hottest. I don't think the non-ceramic Akorns were built for 600+ temps. Lol
I know the feeling. I did it in my Big Steel Keg a few times and it never felt exactly safe. Replace the felt gasket with Nomex or maybe high temp fiberglass.

Found out today that using parchment paper under a pizza is the way to go. I had issues the other day with bigger pies and getting them to slide off the peel...today I stretched dough on parchment paper directly on the peel, then topped it and took it to the grill...the pie and paper slides right off the peel onto the stone, and after about a minute, you can pull the paper right out from under the pie. Perfect. Ive heard you can just leave the paper for the whole cook, but I like the dough to be directly on the stone for superior leoparding/char.

I only need to do this with bigger pies. I haven't had an issue with smaller 10-12" ones, but for bigger ones that don't wanna play nice and slide off the peel without losing their shape, this is a great way to do it.

Found out today that using parchment paper under a pizza is the way to go. I had issues the other day with bigger pies and getting them to slide off the peel...today I stretched dough on parchment paper directly on the peel, then topped it and took it to the grill...the pie and paper slides right off the peel onto the stone, and after about a minute, you can pull the paper right out from under the pie. Perfect. Ive heard you can just leave the paper for the whole cook, but I like the dough to be directly on the stone for superior leoparding/char.

I only need to do this with bigger pies. I haven't had an issue with smaller 10-12" ones, but for bigger ones that don't wanna play nice and slide off the peel without losing their shape, this is a great way to do it.
I'm going to have to try that. I've always used cornmeal, and it works well, but I'd rather not have any remnants of it on my crust.  Great tip!

Bought the Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Prime today. Had planned on a Traeger/Camp Chef, but this one seemed to tick a lot of the same boxes (minus the Camp Chef sear box). Not sure why they aren’t talked about more. Pretty excited. 

https://kcpellets.com/products/jim-bowie-prime-plus-wifi-black?variant=31750252298283&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-07-31&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

you don't even need the peel directly under the parchment paper when building.  The peel will slide right under the paper.   I do recommend cutting off most excess paper around the dough cause it will burn easy. 

I used to monkey around with cornmeal and it never quite worked out easy.  Until I get a few months experience at a pizza restaurant, I"m sticking with parchment paper. 

I made these Green Chile Chicken Thigh tacos and they came out fantastic.  Rick's not my favorite presenter, he's so prodigious on youtube that it's a bit overwhelming, and his ingredients are sometimes hard to find.   But the flavors in his recipes are right in my sweet spot and well worth exploring.  

I'm going to start roasting peppers more often, whether as an ingredient for meals or for a salsa verde to keep on hand as a condiment.  I think my grocery stores usually have poblanos as a base pepper and I can often augment with cubanelles and tomatillos from spring to fall. 

This time was about six small poblanos, two cubanelles, and a serrano.  Lit an overloaded chimney of charcoal, roasted the peppers until black all over, let them steam themselves in a bowl covered by a plate, and then peeled and de-seeded.  I used to peel under running water but Kenji said "don't do that," so I stopped.  I did keep some serrano seeds for heat.  A rough chop and then into a food processor with a small head's worth of garlic cloves and some olive oil.  Blend into a paste and spread over top of seasoned thighs (s&p) and cubed potatos.  I used a disposable foil tray rather than a "hobo pack" in the video because I had one and, honestly, that's just asking for ruined clothes or, worse, a grease burn.  Removed grate and tray directly on the remaining coals for about 20 min.  heat/char flour tortillas directly on a gas burner.  I used to steam tortillas in the microwave but probably won't go back if flame is available. 

I built my tacos with some simple guac (avocado, lime, salt pepper), chopped thigh, a few potato cubes, and a little more lime and the pepper/juices from cooking.  No cheese necessary (but it couldn't be bad, right?).  These were so f'ing delicious.  I gorged.  

That was the first time I ran that grill that hot (650+ in the dome) for that long, and man...I thought the damn thing might melt, lol. One things for sure, any food residue that was on the grill grates are long gone!!!
You may have already done this, but after high heat cooks like this, it is a good idea to re-season the cast iron grate on your Akorn. I failed to do that after cooking some steaks over 600 and had a bit of rust on the grates the next time I cooked on it.

You may have already done this, but after high heat cooks like this, it is a good idea to re-season the cast iron grate on your Akorn. I failed to do that after cooking some steaks over 600 and had a bit of rust on the grates the next time I cooked on it.
Yeah, I had to. Everything on the grates and inside the dome got completely incinerated...the top vent, which had been gummed up a bit from a bunch of low and slow cooks, is like brand new and slides open and closed with zero effort. 

I immediately oiled the grate and cast iron diffuser. The only time my grill was cleaner than it is now is when it was brand new. Lol

I use their Ultimate Blend.  I've been so happy with those that I haven't even tried others.  The flavor is good and I've had great efficiency and very little ash production. I was coming from smoking on Oak or occasionally Apple or Pecan.  

I cooked on a Blackstone outdoor propane griddle this past weekend at a buddy's house - loved it, such a blast to cook on. Easy to go into short-order chef mode and cook breakfast for a crowd to order. I'm ordering one today and doubt I'll use my Weber propane grill very much anymore, if at all. My buddy's has an air-fryer under the griddle, don't think I'll get that version ( a month in he hasn't touched it) - just looking for the three foot flat-top. I'm honestly semi-aroused at the thought of cooking 20 smash-burgers on the thing all at once. 

I cooked on a Blackstone outdoor propane griddle this past weekend at a buddy's house - loved it, such a blast to cook on. Easy to go into short-order chef mode and cook breakfast for a crowd to order. I'm ordering one today and doubt I'll use my Weber propane grill very much anymore, if at all. My buddy's has an air-fryer under the griddle, don't think I'll get that version ( a month in he hasn't touched it) - just looking for the three foot flat-top. I'm honestly semi-aroused at the thought of cooking 20 smash-burgers on the thing all at once. 
I'm looking into getting one myself.  The 4 burner one looks too big, and the 2 burner one looks too small.  But they don't make a 3 burner one ... at least they don't any more (heard they did in the past).

:lmao: f'n lawyers:

CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Man, was really looking forward to this as a Christmas gift for my toddler niece.

I'm looking into getting one myself.  The 4 burner one looks too big, and the 2 burner one looks too small.  But they don't make a 3 burner one ... at least they don't any more (heard they did in the past).
I have the two burner with the attached lid and i can make like 15+ burgers at a time easy or for additional context an entire package of bacon at once which is super awesome. Plenty big enough to cook for 4+ people. I thought the same thing about the two burner version being too small but was totally wrong. 

Pro tip - get the foil inserts for the grease trap.

I've got the 4 burner one. It really depends on how often you cook for bigger groups. I've brought it tailgating and have used it to cook for larger family gatherings, so for me the 4 burner option is the way to go even though I only use the entire cooking space a few times a year. When I'm just cooking for our family of 5 I usually just use half the griddle. 

OK, so I've been away for a while. I was furloughed from the day job in May and had to take this side gig to the next level. On that front, mission accomplished. I will not be going back to the day job. Being my own boss is the coolest thing ever. Luckily God blessed me in June with my best month ever and August was my second best month ever. Those two months I earned more than half my yearly salary of the day job. So yeah, I'm out. More good news. More time to do content for the website I had been neglecting for quite some time. 

Now onto a fun note. I am working with a new grill company. Hooray Grill Company. Well, truth be told, I'm working with 5 different grill companies. All of them are very different. I have projects with Primo, Beefer, American Made Grills (formerly American Muscle Grills), Green Mountain Grills and Hooray. Speaking of the latter, check this beast out - Hooray Grill Company. They make Santa Maria Style cookers. They are ridiculously over engineered. This grill will out last me by a good century. We did a s'mores bar with the Hooray

OK, so I've been away for a while. I was furloughed from the day job in May and had to take this side gig to the next level. On that front, mission accomplished. I will not be going back to the day job. Being my own boss is the coolest thing ever. Luckily God blessed me in June with my best month ever and August was my second best month ever. Those two months I earned more than half my yearly salary of the day job. So yeah, I'm out. More good news. More time to do content for the website I had been neglecting for quite some time. 

Now onto a fun note. I am working with a new grill company. Hooray Grill Company. Well, truth be told, I'm working with 5 different grill companies. All of them are very different. I have projects with Primo, Beefer, American Made Grills (formerly American Muscle Grills), Green Mountain Grills and Hooray. Speaking of the latter, check this beast out - Hooray Grill Company. They make Santa Maria Style cookers. They are ridiculously over engineered. This grill will out last me by a good century. We did a s'mores bar with the Hooray
Congrats!!  Been following your IG for awhile. 

Users who are viewing this thread