What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Moe Green said:
Are RecTec and Traeger pellets interchangeable?
If think so....it seems that the differences i see are just around how clean they burn. Any pellets should work in any grill id think.

Just took the plunge and purchased my first pellet grill via a Black Friday deal.  Seems like a great price and Camp Chef gets mostly great reviews.  Only downside is no built-in Wi-Fi, but I figure I can add a 3rd party thermometer with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi later.

Camp Chef Gen 2 Slide and Grill 24" Pellet Grill for $375 if ordered online with in-store pickup.

I've been following this thread for a long time, super excited to start my smoking journey!  😍

Yeah.  Those Santa Maria style grills are the new emerging retro trend.  Super cool and they really appeal to the steampunk side of me, but all of them are very impractical for everyday use and are kind of one trick ponies. RecTec makes one as well, non-pellet and a bit smaller. Not nearly as cool looking as the Hooray and a bit smaller but also 5k less.

https://www.recteq.com/RT-A850-WyldSide-Argentina-Style-Grill-V2
I just received this Argentine style grill that is made in England. I had a hard time finding what I wanted here in the states, all high cost and very few that are stainless steel. They do not ship to the US but I was able to have it ship to my parent company in Germany then transport to here on one of our company shipments. I have the bricks (Chicago Common) and will add this as the 3rd grill of my outdoor grilling station.

https://www.sunshinebbqs.com/stainless-built-in-brick-bbq-diy-grill-kit-with-argentinian-adjustable-heights.html

I just received this Argentine style grill that is made in England. I had a hard time finding what I wanted here in the states, all high cost and very few that are stainless steel. They do not ship to the US but I was able to have it ship to my parent company in Germany then transport to here on one of our company shipments. I have the bricks (Chicago Common) and will add this as the 3rd grill of my outdoor grilling station.

https://www.sunshinebbqs.com/stainless-built-in-brick-bbq-diy-grill-kit-with-argentinian-adjustable-heights.html
That one looks great and is a bargain!

If think so....it seems that the differences i see are just around how clean they burn. Any pellets should work in any grill id think.
This.  Although i know traeger used to recommend only their pellets in their smokers.  Even though theirs aren’t the best.  

lumberjack and cookin pellets do a great job and are 100% wood FYI.

This.  Although i know traeger used to recommend only their pellets in their smokers.  Even though theirs aren’t the best.  

lumberjack and cookin pellets do a great job and are 100% wood FYI.
All the pellet grill companies strongly recommend their own pellets, but the truth of the matter is they are all interchangeable. I got that direct from someone who owns one of those companies. 

And while they are all interchangeable, I distrust the Traeger pellets. There is just something off about them. 

All the pellet grill companies strongly recommend their own pellets, but the truth of the matter is they are all interchangeable. I got that direct from someone who owns one of those companies. 

And while they are all interchangeable, I distrust the Traeger pellets. There is just something off about them. 
They don't seem like real wood to me...by the way, if you guys haven't seen this, it's worth the watch :lol:  

My son did a spatchcocked turkey on the smoker. Got the rub recipe from a pit master with the secret. Slather it in mayonnaise. Much like mustard on a pork shoulder. Said it was unbelievable. Gonna try it. 

So i always wondered.  How do you track who is eligible to win? Like how do you compile a list of everyone that followed that account and tagged two people?
The brand that is paying me for this has an app that will pull all the names and all the new follows and cross reference them into a list of all eligible people and then a randomizer chooses one person to win.

The hardest part is getting the winner to reply. When you message someone out of the blue with something like, "You just won the contest..." some people might think that was spam. Seriously, I have had less than 50% response rate for people who have won contests like this and had to go to the next person on the list multiple times. And I'm sure there are people out there that have won but never responded to the DM who say, "Man, I never win anything."

The brand that is paying me for this has an app that will pull all the names and all the new follows and cross reference them into a list of all eligible people and then a randomizer chooses one person to win.

The hardest part is getting the winner to reply. When you message someone out of the blue with something like, "You just won the contest..." some people might think that was spam. Seriously, I have had less than 50% response rate for people who have won contests like this and had to go to the next person on the list multiple times. And I'm sure there are people out there that have won but never responded to the DM who say, "Man, I never win anything."
If the winner doesn't claim it, I'll take it.

Cooked up a nice spiral ham yesterday...few hours at 275 or so on the KJ with a little added peach wood for a light smoke.  Always love a good grilled ham (and nice that they are in stores and on sale around holidays).  Happy to have the patio covered now and not worry about the rain that moved in.

Need a good suggestion on steak cuts that will serve a lot of people

Oldest wants steak for his birthday and we have some limited family coming by.  Some people like it, some don’t, and not positive everyone will come or not, so don’t really want to get individual cuts for everyone and then have a bunch of leftover steak

so what’s the best cut that I could grill like a normal steak and slice up for people?  I’d guess maybe 5-6 adults and a couple kids that will eat it

Oldest wants steak for his birthday and we have some limited family coming by.  Some people like it, some don’t, and not positive everyone will come or not, so don’t really want to get individual cuts for everyone and then have a bunch of leftover steak

so what’s the best cut that I could grill like a normal steak and slice up for people?  I’d guess maybe 5-6 adults and a couple kids that will eat it
Inside skirt steak. Lots of marbling. :thumbup:  Coat liberally with steak seasoning and grill over high heat. Slice thin across the grain. 

Beef Tenderloin

Rib (Prime Rib)

Picanha

Tri Tip

Nice cool day to smoke a butt.  Sitting at about 275 now with a 7.5 lb butt put on around 8am.  Just didn't feel like getting up early enough to go 225 all day...and Ive found little to no difference in flavor cooking it up to 300*...just saves time really.  275 seems to be my sweet spot I like...

Cooler weather took me a bit longer to get the temp to settle in than earlier in the year.  But going smoothly now...letting the KJ do its thing.

Beef Tenderloin

Rib (Prime Rib)

Picanha

Tri Tip
Adding flank to this good list of suggestions.  Cooks whole, slices up nicely, can find them bigger than skirt (another delicious choice), takes a marinade well.  Did a lot of  oil, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, cilantro, sugar this summer and it always delivered.  Some might call this a carne asada marinade but nobody needs to know.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Laughing
Reactions: JAA

Tri tip is my go to here.  Quick and delicious.  They usually come 3lb each.  So. Maybe grab two and your good.  Could eat straight up.  Make sliders.  Whatever really.

I'm going tenderloin here too.  Cook it hot and fast to 125 or so let it rest up to temp.  Cook some mushrooms, and everyone is happy. 

I have been trying out Bear Mountain pellets in my RecTec 700 after using up all the pellets that came with the original order.    I really like Bear Mountain.  I don't think they are any better or worse than Rec Tec's pellets.   But they are more convenient and sometimes they go on sale pretty cheap.

Picked up a 7lb whole beef tenderloin before Thanksgiving, I had the butcher cut it into 8oz steaks...got 11 steaks and about 10oz of trimmings. Gonna cook a couple on the Akorn in a bit...going med rare (pulling at 118°ish) topped with blue cheese crumbles and some demi glace along with a side of home made mac n cheese I made yesterday.

Making the sauce from a nice beef stock I made last week. Roasted the bones, added a bunch of veggies/seasonings and let it simmer for about 8 hours, then strained  it, reduced it down by about half and froze a few containers for nights like this.

I received my Camp Chef last week and did a 7lb pork butt for my first smoke.  I went the completely unwrapped route and it took about 14 hours at 225, but it came out super tender with great bark.  Next time I'll try wrapping at the stall to see if I can tell any difference. 

Next up are a large batch of boneless chicken thighs smoked with apple wood with several different rubs/sauces.

Franklin's method is money for breast only.

Remove skin.

Coat with 4:1 S& P Rub

Smoke at 270 for probably 2-4 hours, until golden but not finished cooking. Skin side up.

Double wrap in heavy duty foil, add 1 pound butter. Flip breast skin side down

Cook unit 160 internal.

Rest until it drops to 140.

Slice and serve and dunk in the butter as you serve.
I do this any time I want turkey.  This recipe is flawless. 

I assume no brine prior, given the salt-heavy rub?
I wrote that recipe backwards. it should be 1:4 Salt to Pepper. I will edit the original.  Sorry.

If I get a truly fresh turkey breast that hasn't had any previous injection I will sometimes do a 24 hour 1:1:1 brine, but I'm not convinced it really makes any difference. The key here is really the hot and fast cooking, removing the skin, and loads of butter.

I assume no brine prior, given the salt-heavy rub?
No brine.  I think the specific rub from Franklin is one part salt to two parts pepper.

I'm confused on the remove skin then flip skin side down comment
Yes, I was skeptical initially about removing the skin as well.  Essentially what happens is you get the smoke into the actual meat of the bird with the breasts up, which turns a beautiful golden brown, and then the use of the butter (after you foil the bird and flip it) acts as the fat you need to create moisture/flavor by basting the meat through the end of the cook.  It's brilliant. 

Franklin's method is money for breast only.

Remove skin.

Coat with 1:4 S& P Rub

Smoke at 270 for probably 2-4 hours, until golden but not finished cooking. Skin side (breasts) up.

Double wrap in heavy duty foil, add 1 pound butter. Flip breast side down in the butter.

Cook unit 160 internal.

Rest until it drops to 140.

Slice and serve and dunk in the butter as you serve.
Yes? http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/2015/11/30/franklins-smoked-turkey-breast/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QN7kuScTLs

Wife bought a turkey breast for me to smoke, thinking about doing this to it.

I wrote that recipe backwards. it should be 1:4 Salt to Pepper. I will edit the original.  Sorry.

If I get a truly fresh turkey breast that hasn't had any previous injection I will sometimes do a 24 hour 1:1:1 brine, but I'm not convinced it really makes any difference. The key here is really the hot and fast cooking, removing the skin, and loads of butter.
You sonofa! 

I did this for T'Giving and I bought a pre-basted turkey breast, so I didn't bother with any salt anyways; just the coarse pepper.  Visually, it was the best turkey I've prepared once plated (didn't get a decent picture though).  We didn't miss the skin at all.  I neglected to pour the remaining butter from the foil unto the plated meat.  It tasted great, but I forget how quickly breast meat dries out.  Next time, I will go for natural full bird to get some dark meat.  I would go with skin off again. 

So Christmas is a little different this year. My folks are having people over in shifts on Christmas Eve. We're doing brunch over there and coming home and doing Christmas Eve as just our family of six. We've never done this. So I'm cooking something special for Christmas Eve. Not sure what. I'm thinking either a tenderloin or a prime rib. I'm thinking of reaching out to the Hassell Cattle Company for an epic roast. Their beef has ridiculous marbling for the buck. 

I'm debating on what sort of rub to put on the outside. Too much pepper and my 4 year old wrinkles her nose. Can't go with a lot of rosemary because my wife wrinkles her nose. I'm thinking maybe smoke it till 115-120 then crank the GMG up to 450-500 for maybe 20 minutes and crust up the outside. More of a typical roast, with smoke of course, rather than grill marks and such. Maybe put a bunch of carrots, fingerling potatoes, etc down at the bottom of the pan. Hmmmmm...

So Christmas is a little different this year. My folks are having people over in shifts on Christmas Eve. We're doing brunch over there and coming home and doing Christmas Eve as just our family of six. We've never done this. So I'm cooking something special for Christmas Eve. Not sure what. I'm thinking either a tenderloin or a prime rib. I'm thinking of reaching out to the Hassell Cattle Company for an epic roast. Their beef has ridiculous marbling for the buck. 

I'm debating on what sort of rub to put on the outside. Too much pepper and my 4 year old wrinkles her nose. Can't go with a lot of rosemary because my wife wrinkles her nose. I'm thinking maybe smoke it till 115-120 then crank the GMG up to 450-500 for maybe 20 minutes and crust up the outside. More of a typical roast, with smoke of course, rather than grill marks and such. Maybe put a bunch of carrots, fingerling potatoes, etc down at the bottom of the pan. Hmmmmm...
They've got some good stuff there and more reasonable than SRF for sure. I've been using Wildfork a lot lately and have been very impressed with their Wagyu and Prime Beef.

They've got some good stuff there and more reasonable than SRF for sure. I've been using Wildfork a lot lately and have been very impressed with their Wagyu and Prime Beef.
They take the cattle up from Texas to much cooler climates when it gets hot. Evidently cool cows have better meat. I don't get the science, but the end results are fantastic. 

They take the cattle up from Texas to much cooler climates when it gets hot. Evidently cool cows have better meat. I don't get the science, but the end results are fantastic. 
Interesting, but the equatorial dwelling bovines I've dined on over the years might disagree. They claimed to simply be the victims of bad genetics, not environment.

Anyone used Porter Road? I'm thinking about using it as a way to expand my steak choices a bit. Right now my arsenal is:

• Pork chops
  • Pork tenderloin
  • NY Strip
  • Picanha
  • Trip tip
  • Flank/Bavette
  • Hanger
Thinking they send 2 steaks of surprise cut with every load (alongside the ground and such) that will help make me learn other cuts better.

Cowboysfan8 said:
I have an old vertical propane smoker

I ordered a pellet tube and a bag of pellets from amazon

Im attempting to smoke cheese today for the first time 

I love me some smoked cheese
I know nothing about smoking cheese except the little I’ve read online. Some places say 1-2 hours, some say 2-4 hours. I pulled mine at 3 because the color on the outside of the cheese got to the color of the smoked cheese I buy 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ive read that the cheese will taste acrid and has to age for a week or two to absorb the smoke and the flavor will improve. This is fact. 
I cut a slice off fresh off the smoker and it tasted like a cigarette butt that was just crushed out in an ashtray. I will report back in  a week

VERY happy with pellet tube. Nice steady smoke for the whole 3 hours. 

The company claims it will smoke for 6 hours. I closed the smoker and am letting it go to see how long it smokes

https://www.amazon.com/NEARPOW-Billowing-Non-Perforated-Portable-Hexagonal/dp/B07YWBKFC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=nearpow+pellet+smoker+tube&qid=1607804891&sprefix=nearpow+pellet+smoke+tube&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyREFEQ0pGWVVHODAxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM0ODAzVUhVUk1FNDdCRVVLJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDk4NDcyQUNXRkNZRDIzWTVIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Users who are viewing this thread