Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I have an old vertical propane smoker

I ordered a pellet tube and a bag of pellets from amazon

Im attempting to smoke cheese today for the first time 

I love me some smoked cheese

never smoked cheese but i really want to.  I feel like a smoked blue cheese would be epic!  Share pics when its done!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At Memphis in May I Hosted Roberto Mora, owner and head chef of El Mercado and Cuci Suco BBQ pit in Cuenca, Equador. He came in for the festival and commented on our IG page so I reached out and exten

Here we go, fellas...tried something today Ive never done before...pork belly burnt ends aka Meat Candy (Ive never done PB or BE at home), and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the Akorn. They both tu

Weekend cookout draft went well... some pics:  Our private barrel pick of Eagle Rare for 155th Airlift Squadron came in so popped one while prepping the meat.  Bush's Homestyle beans churched

51 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I know nothing about smoking cheese except the little I’ve read online. Some places say 1-2 hours, some say 2-4 hours. I pulled mine at 3 because the color on the outside of the cheese got to the color of the smoked cheese I buy 🤷🏻‍♂️
 

Ive read that the cheese will taste acrid and has to age for a week or two to absorb the smoke and the flavor will improve. This is fact. 
I cut a slice off fresh off the smoker and it tasted like a cigarette butt that was just crushed out in an ashtray. I will report back in  a week

VERY happy with pellet tube. Nice steady smoke for the whole 3 hours. 

The company claims it will smoke for 6 hours. I closed the smoker and am letting it go to see how long it smokes


https://www.amazon.com/NEARPOW-Billowing-Non-Perforated-Portable-Hexagonal/dp/B07YWBKFC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=nearpow+pellet+smoker+tube&qid=1607804891&sprefix=nearpow+pellet+smoke+tube&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyREFEQ0pGWVVHODAxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM0ODAzVUhVUk1FNDdCRVVLJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDk4NDcyQUNXRkNZRDIzWTVIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

 

I went crazy and smoked about 20 pounds of cheese a couple weeks ago. Publix had their 8 oz blocks of pretty much all varieties on sale for $2.50 and it coincided with a couple cold days so the timing was perfect.  It does take some time to mellow, then I vacuum seal, freeze it and use it all year.  Wrap it in plastic wrap when it comes off the smoker and let it sit in the fridge for about a week to mellow. Pepper jack is my favorite, with sharp cheddar coming in a close 2nd.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I went crazy and smoked about 20 pounds of cheese a couple weeks ago. Publix had their 8 oz blocks of pretty much all varieties on sale for $2.50 and it coincided with a couple cold days so the timing was perfect.  It does take some time to mellow, then I vacuum seal, freeze it and use it all year.  Wrap it in plastic wrap when it comes off the smoker and let it sit in the fridge for about a week to mellow. Pepper jack is my favorite, with sharp cheddar coming in a close 2nd.

Nice

Theres an Amish deli near me that has cheap cheeses. I got Cooper and horseradish today. The Cooper was 5.89 lb and the horseradish 4.69 lb lol

I was wondering if I could vac n freeze and it would be ok. Thanks for posting 

I’ll be doing more varieties this winter for sure and freezing 

*the tube crapped out at a lil over 4 hours of steady smoke. I love that thing so far. Couldn’t be easier 

Edited by Cowboysfan8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

:jawdrop:    well can we get a video?  :shrug: 

What is the max temp to smoke cheese? I'm picking up my new GMG on Monday. I'm wondering if I can do it on there. But I guess I could also do it with one of those tubes in my Primo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you guys play matchmaker for me to help find the perfect grill ?  Budget 1-1.5k maybe more and looking to put it into an indoor kitchen I will be putting in this spring. 

what I have:

20 year old Weber genesis silver b 3 burner which ive had for 20 years loved it but it’s on its last legs.  Decent capacity but would look to get a little bigger. Needs to be replaced 

weber 22.5 Smokey mountain in great condition but I don’t use it as much as I’d like because I have to “get it out” to use.  I also sometimes use this as a charcoal grill, but rarely.  Willing to sell if it makes sense. 

Cheap charcoal grill
 

What I want and i know there’s no perfect grill, but all help appreciated.  
 

Love the charcoal flavor but want to be able to start a grill up quick for hotdogs for the kids etc/ want the convenience of gas startup  

want to be able to cook/sear at high temps 

Also be able to slow cook/smoke

liking the new flattop options that are out there  

liking the pizza ovens that are out there 

don’t want everything to have a “smoked” flavor but want it available if I do want it.  

Any help is appreciated from you guys...

 

 

Edited by phowler13
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, phowler13 said:

Can you guys play matchmaker for me to help find the perfect grill ?  Budget 1-1.5k maybe more and looking to put it into an indoor kitchen I will be putting in this spring. 

what I have:

20 year old Weber genesis silver b 3 burner which ive had for 20 years loved it but it’s on its last legs.  Decent capacity but would look to get a little bigger. Needs to be replaced 

weber 22.5 Smokey mountain in great condition but I don’t use it as much as I’d like because I have to “get it out” to use.  I also sometimes use this as a charcoal grill, but rarely.  Willing to sell if it makes sense. 

Cheap charcoal grill
 

What I want and i know there’s no perfect grill, but all help appreciated.  
 

Love the charcoal flavor but want to be able to start a grill up quick for hotdogs for the kids etc/ want the convenience of gas startup  

want to be able to cook/sear at high temps 

Also be able to slow cook/smoke

liking the new flattop options that are out there  

liking the pizza ovens that are out there 

don’t want everything to have a “smoked” flavor but want it available if I do want it.  

Any help is appreciated from you guys...

 

 

sounds like you want a pellet grill.  I started with the WSM as well and wanted something much easier to get started.  Went the pellet route.  There are plenty out there that can get to seering temps.  I use a Mak 1 star which can seer, has a flattop option and is a great smoker.  Kids love my smoked hot dogs.  But Camp chef, rec tec are all solid as well.   I still have my WSM and havent used it since i got the Pellet grill.  Its just so much easier and quicker to get going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

What is the max temp to smoke cheese? I'm picking up my new GMG on Monday. I'm wondering if I can do it on there. But I guess I could also do it with one of those tubes in my Primo. 

I use the box on my RecTec when it is cold(ish) outside. If I set the main chamber to 180, the box gets to around 100 max on the lower levels. 2-3 hours, then wrap in plastic wrap in the fridge for a week, then eat or vac seal and freeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

sounds like you want a pellet grill.  I started with the WSM as well and wanted something much easier to get started.  Went the pellet route.  There are plenty out there that can get to seering temps.  I use a Mak 1 star which can seer, has a flattop option and is a great smoker.  Kids love my smoked hot dogs.  But Camp chef, rec tec are all solid as well.   I still have my WSM and havent used it since i got the Pellet grill.  Its just so much easier and quicker to get going.

I agree on all this, except no pellet grill can sear by my definition. But, lots of folks "sear" at 400-500F. I think a pellet grill that can range between 200-500 F is a great option for most cooking, but for true searing you need infrared, lump, high BTU gas, etc. And searing can be real simple. Some of the best searing I've done has been direct on a charcoal chimney. Some of the best flank steak you've ever had, I promise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I agree on all this, except no pellet grill can sear by my definition. But, lots of folks "sear" at 400-500F. I think a pellet grill that can range between 200-500 F is a great option for most cooking, but for true searing you need infrared, lump, high BTU gas, etc. And searing can be real simple. Some of the best searing I've done has been direct on a charcoal chimney. Some of the best flank steak you've ever had, I promise.

agree.  I can get up to 650 or so on direct flame on my mak.  but true seering i agree is gonna be much higher.  For me its sufficient.  And worst case ill toss it on the broiler for a minute or two if i really need to.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

agree.  I can get up to 650 or so on direct flame on my mak.  but true seering i agree is gonna be much higher.  For me its sufficient.  And worst case ill toss it on the broiler for a minute or two if i really need to.  

 

15 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I agree on all this, except no pellet grill can sear by my definition. But, lots of folks "sear" at 400-500F. I think a pellet grill that can range between 200-500 F is a great option for most cooking, but for true searing you need infrared, lump, high BTU gas, etc. And searing can be real simple. Some of the best searing I've done has been direct on a charcoal chimney. Some of the best flank steak you've ever had, I promise.

Do the pellet grills always have a Smokey taste, even when you’re just grilling ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phowler13 said:

 

Do the pellet grills always have a Smokey taste, even when you’re just grilling ? 

Pellets use wood as fuel.  but the higher the temp usually the shorter the cook and less smokey taste.  This is why most pellet grills have a "smoke" setting which is basically a lower temp like say 180 degrees that outputs the highest amount of smoke.  The grills vary how the smoke output is at each temp.  Some only have good smoke on smoke setting while others have good smoke at higher temps.   

Also, i find Pellet grills have a much cleaner smoke taste.  So even when you get a lot of smoke on something, its cleaner and not overpowering as i sometimes encountered with my WSM. 

Edited by PinkydaPimp
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, Ron Swanson said:

Interesting, but the equatorial dwelling bovines I've dined on over the years might disagree. They claimed to simply be the victims of bad genetics, not environment.

Randolph: "That steer is a product of a poor environment. There's nothing wrong with him, I can prove it."

Mortimer : "Of course there's something wrong with him... he's a Wagyu!"

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Jabroni said:

I am doing my first Prime Rib on Christmas day. Just me and my girlfriend. I think I have a solid recipe. 

My question is, does anyone have a good, homemade au jus recipe? Something easy and light. Not a gravy consistency.

I've never done my own au jus before, but I plan on doing Malcolm Reed's recipe this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tony Jabroni said:

I am doing my first Prime Rib on Christmas day. Just me and my girlfriend. I think I have a solid recipe. 

My question is, does anyone have a good, homemade au jus recipe? Something easy and light. Not a gravy consistency.

I was going to do my first one this year, but it’s a smaller group and not that many of them really like it, and I kind of just don’t feel like spending my day dealing with it

maybe next year

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I was going to do my first one this year, but it’s a smaller group and not that many of them really like it, and I kind of just don’t feel like spending my day dealing with it

maybe next year

 

Thanks, Dan. Big help. 😉

Going to use leftovers for chili.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Tony Jabroni
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

if going to the trouble of a prime rib roast why not go with Yorkshire Pudding?

Simple mashed potatoes and asparagus. It's just for 2. And we have been together 3yrs. No need to impress, plus, I don't give a ####. Gimme that Prime Rib!😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally we do Christmas Eve at my folks and Christmas day at my wifes folks. So this year, we are doing shifts at my folks. My family is heading over for brunch and then for the first time in my life, I'm cooking on Christmas Eve (or Christmas Day). I've got the Hassell Cattle Company, Four Bone Prime Rib coming out of the freezer today. I'm thinking of doing a garlic/herb/olive oil paste to spread over the roast tomorrow and leave in the fridge overnight. Then on Christmas Eve, remove from the fridge a few hours early and then throw it on the Green Mountain Grills at 225 until it hits 115 and then crank it up to 500 and put a crust on the outside. Because we have four kids, we are doing some pasta with the prime rib along with shrimp cocktail apps. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, Ron Swanson said:

I agree on all this, except no pellet grill can sear by my definition. But, lots of folks "sear" at 400-500F. I think a pellet grill that can range between 200-500 F is a great option for most cooking, but for true searing you need infrared, lump, high BTU gas, etc. And searing can be real simple. Some of the best searing I've done has been direct on a charcoal chimney. Some of the best flank steak you've ever had, I promise.

Most pellet grills can get to 500 degrees now, but still need a little extra oomph. GrillGrates can concentrate that heat and do a pretty good sear. 

And I love the chimney sear. Smoke then sear over the chimney. The Char-Griller Akorn has this little insert in the middle of the cast iron grill grates that fits really well over a chimney. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think like a nice pellet grill with an acorn or Kamado Joe Jr or small egg would be a good set up.

Have the small kamado style to sear or when just doing a couple higher heat things.  Pellet for most of your other needs.

Me, I dont mind that 20-30 minutes to get my KJ to the right temp so its my go to for just about everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i accidentally grilled a wooden spoon handle by leaving it too close to a burner on my oven last night it made my entire house smell smokey good and brohans it smoked so bad that im pretty sure i put a good smoke ring on my couch one room over look smoked couch is not the flavor profile i was shooting for seeing as how i was making macaraoni and cheese and now i feel like a grillmaster failure take that to the bank

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

I think like a nice pellet grill with an acorn or Kamado Joe Jr or small egg would be a good set up.

Have the small kamado style to sear or when just doing a couple higher heat things.  Pellet for most of your other needs.

Me, I dont mind that 20-30 minutes to get my KJ to the right temp so its my go to for just about everything.

And the Kamado makes a great faux Cambro for briskets, butts, clod, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, Ron Swanson said:

I agree on all this, except no pellet grill can sear by my definition. But, lots of folks "sear" at 400-500F. I think a pellet grill that can range between 200-500 F is a great option for most cooking, but for true searing you need infrared, lump, high BTU gas, etc. And searing can be real simple. Some of the best searing I've done has been direct on a charcoal chimney. Some of the best flank steak you've ever had, I promise.

doing some prime ribeyes for Christmas.  Since I'll probably be hammered by dinnertime, I was planning on keeping the cook simple, but this has me thinking now.  If I was smart, I'd wait for another occasion to try this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brony said:

doing some prime ribeyes for Christmas.  Since I'll probably be hammered by dinnertime, I was planning on keeping the cook simple, but this has me thinking now.  If I was smart, I'd wait for another occasion to try this. 

If you want to lower the margin for error, sous vide the steaks to your preferred doneness first. Then just sear them super close to the hot coals for 30 seconds per side. S&P and maybe a pat of butter and your are fine steakhouse done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

If you want to lower the margin for error, sous vide the steaks to your preferred doneness first. Then just sear them super close to the hot coals for 30 seconds per side. S&P and maybe a pat of butter and your are fine steakhouse done.

Not worried about the initial cook. I'm just gonna put them on the indirect side of gas grill and keep temperature probe in the meat.  (plus I don't have sous vide setup).  I just need to McGyver a grill surface to put atop the chimney.  Baking cooling rack? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brony said:

Not worried about the initial cook. I'm just gonna put them on the indirect side of gas grill and keep temperature probe in the meat.  (plus I don't have sous vide setup).  I just need to McGyver a grill surface to put atop the chimney.  Baking cooling rack? 

Yes. Anything like that should work.  And honestly, direct coals won't wreck it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grilling a 6lb boneless prime rib  for the first time. 

Gonna rub it with tobasco & Worcestershire, coat it with kosher salt, pepper and some herbs, grill it at about 250° on the Akorn until an IT of about 118°, crank up the heat and sear it all over, then let rest for 30 min, slice and devour.

Im also putting a drip pan underneath the roast with a bit of water, beef base, some onion slices, garlic cloves, and maybe some carrots & celery. Ill strain and add a bit of good beef stock from the freezer that I made a few weeks ago to make a tasty jus.

Easy peasy.

 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 11:21 AM, Grahamburn said:

It's very simple and you'll never cook a breast differently ever again.  That one seems like a variation.  Use this one:

Franklin BBQ Turkey Breast

Just wanted to say thanks all. Made this today, won’t make another any other way, fantastic!

I went too heavy on the pepper, 3-to-1 pepper to salt. Next time around I’ll probably go with nothing and season when eating or maybe just a light dusting. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding my :blackdot: as I have recently purchased a Green Mountain Davy Crocket Smoker.  I have great success with all kinds of meats, but am having the most fun with more out there stuff.  Made 2 kinds of jerky last week; a traditional teriyaki and a Dr. Pepper jalepeno.  Both came out perfect using GM's Gold pellets.  I've had several batches of mac and cheese come out mind blowing.  I don't really follow any specific recipe, but the Killer Hogs seasoning and "globs" of cream cheese are what makes it.  The globs end up being smoky flavor bombs as they pick up a ton of good smoky flavor.  I made stuffing for Thanksgiving & Xmas that my wife loved.  Super simple just following a bagged stuffing recipe.  

Last night I sort of lucked into a really good one.  I wanted to try to smoke steam mussels, but couldn't easily find any last minute.  Instead, we had a half bag+ of Costco frozen shrimp.  I melted a stick and a half of butter with 3 small garlic cloves.  The recipe I was loosely working with called for fresh rosemary, but I couldn't find fresh so I substituted Penzy's FoxPoint seasoning.  I put 25 uncooked shrimp in a pan, added the seasoning first and then poured the melted and butter and garlic over.  Then, I squeezed 3/4ths of a large lemon over them.  The recipe called to smoke them at 275 for 20-25 minutes (internal temp of 125).  I wanted them more smoky, so I went just over a half hour at 250 (GM Gold Pellets).  I had my son pick up some French Bread for dipping.  The flavor was amazing and I think I liked the dipping butter as much as the shrimp (so much so, I saved the left over butter as some compound butter-ish for chicken or fish).  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am shopping for a new gas grill. I grill multiple times per week I get out charcoal when I want to get fancy, but daily use is my gas grill. 

 

Consumer Reports says this is the top grill:

https://monumentgrills.com/products/6-burner-grill

Anyone own a Monument Grill?

 

This had been my plan:

 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/62006001.html

 

I am pretty sure I would get a much longer life out of the Weber. However if the Monument grill lasts half as long at its price it might make sense.

 

Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

I am shopping for a new gas grill. I grill multiple times per week I get out charcoal when I want to get fancy, but daily use is my gas grill. 

 

Consumer Reports says this is the top grill:

https://monumentgrills.com/products/6-burner-grill

Anyone own a Monument Grill?

 

This had been my plan:

 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/62006001.html

 

I am pretty sure I would get a much longer life out of the Weber. However if the Monument grill lasts half as long at its price it might make sense.

 

Thoughts?

Honestly, I've never heard of Monument grills. That being said, that grill looks pretty sweet. Sorry I don't have more info. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

I am shopping for a new gas grill. I grill multiple times per week I get out charcoal when I want to get fancy, but daily use is my gas grill. 

 

Consumer Reports says this is the top grill:

https://monumentgrills.com/products/6-burner-grill

Anyone own a Monument Grill?

 

This had been my plan:

 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/62006001.html

 

I am pretty sure I would get a much longer life out of the Weber. However if the Monument grill lasts half as long at its price it might make sense.

 

Thoughts?

If you have to move the Grill at all, you will hate the Monument due to the small Casters.  I have never had a Monument Grill, but I had a Charbroil Infrared with the small casters.  In the house I lived in at the time, I kept it in the garage so had to move it outside whenever I grilled (a lot).  I had a caster break on my 3 different times and had to get them rewelded on the bottom.  I was one of the main reasons I switched to a weber with the larger wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

I am shopping for a new gas grill. I grill multiple times per week I get out charcoal when I want to get fancy, but daily use is my gas grill. 

 

Consumer Reports says this is the top grill:

https://monumentgrills.com/products/6-burner-grill

Anyone own a Monument Grill?

 

This had been my plan:

 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/62006001.html

 

I am pretty sure I would get a much longer life out of the Weber. However if the Monument grill lasts half as long at its price it might make sense.

 

Thoughts?

The Weber will probably outlast it. But more importantly, I would be confident that when parts are needed for the Weber they will be around and have parts available. That is an Achilles's heel for a lot of other brands. If casters become the deciding factor, you can always buy bigger and better casters.  I've done that with a number of items.

I would also suggest that you follow your local Craigslist and other classified ads...you might be very surprised at what you can find in the way of used Weber's.  What if you could pick up that Genesis II used for the same price as the Monument?  Due to the warranty, durability, and parts availability a used Weber is nothing to be worried about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Did grilled buffalo wings on the Akorn Sunday for football. Served them with a home made Bleu cheese dressing, vinegar slaw, and celery. I like grilled wings more than fried, the flavor is just turned up a notch and theyre SO less messy to make.

Sauce was Franks Buffalo sauce with  a little added melted butter, apple cider vinegar, hot pepper dust, and a touch of BBQ sauce.

Cooked pre-sauce

Time to eat

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Santa brought me a Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven. Tried it once and it worked well except I tried to use it inside the base of my weber kettle. When I would try to rotate it, the legs would get stuck in the bottom grate.

So I'm looking for a flat, solid, round piece of aluminum about 16 to 18 inches in diameter with a small lip to rest this on. To give a visual, in Boy Scouts they usually used a small aluminum garbage can lid turned upside down with the handle pounded flat. I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for. 

I have a wood deck so putting the Dutch Oven on the ground really isn't an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaxBill said:

Santa brought me a Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven. Tried it once and it worked well except I tried to use it inside the base of my weber kettle. When I would try to rotate it, the legs would get stuck in the bottom grate.

So I'm looking for a flat, solid, round piece of aluminum about 16 to 18 inches in diameter with a small lip to rest this on. To give a visual, in Boy Scouts they usually used a small aluminum garbage can lid turned upside down with the handle pounded flat. I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for. 

I have a wood deck so putting the Dutch Oven on the ground really isn't an option.

https://www.wilton.com/performance-pan-16-inch-x-2-inch-round-pan/2105-3963.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to try my hand on making pastrami. Picked up a prime brisket flat last week, it just went into the brine about an hour ago. Im following this method/recipe. Can't wait to see how this turns out 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Decided to try my hand on making pastrami. Picked up a prime brisket flat last week, it just went into the brine about an hour ago. Im following this method/recipe. Can't wait to see how this turns out 

Nice. I used to make it 2x a year - St. Patricks Day and 6 months to St. Patricks Day. Why twice? I bought a container of curing salt off Amazon that was waaay bigger than I needed.

My experience is if you can let it cure an extra day then do it. First time I cured just shy of 5 days and it wasn't 100% red throughout.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@JaxBill lol I bought 2lbs of curing salt from Amazon...Im psyched to see how this turns out, I can see it being a usual thing if I don't screw it up, I could eat pastrami several times a week. I

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

@JaxBill lol I bought 2lbs of curing salt from Amazon...Im psyched to see how this turns out, I can see it being a usual thing if I don't screw it up, I could eat pastrami several times a week. I

 

 

Hah. I did the same.  I've used mine for bacon, though.  My TX roots hold me back from curing a perfectly good brisket.  I highly recommend reading Meathead's article on meat curing science if you haven't.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Hah. I did the same.  I've used mine for bacon, though.  My TX roots hold me back from curing a perfectly good brisket.  I highly recommend reading Meathead's article on meat curing science if you haven't.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely

yeah I followed Meathead directions for the curing and the pastrami prep. 

(I just smoke it though. I don't bother with the steam)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...