What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Question about burnt ends.  The first time I tried these, I smoked them fat side up.  The flavor was amazing, but they were a little fattier than I would have liked.  For today's batch, do I:

• Smoke them fat side down?
  • Trim the fat before smoking and smoke them fat side up
  • Smoke them fat side down for like 2/3rds of the smoke and then fat side up for the last 3rd?
Thanks in advance for any advice shared!!

Brisket has been brining/curing since Sunday...taking it out tonight, coating it with rub, and smoking it tomorrow.

I've also got parts coming to convert my single tap kegerator to a dual tap...so Thursday I'll be smoking pastrami, converting my kegerator, and drinking beer all day. Not a bad start to my weekend!

Pastrami was a success. I didnt get bark like I hoped (because of the mustard and low temp I guess?), but holy cow, I couldn't even lift it out of the foil, it literally fell apart as I tried. Even cutting with the grain didn't matter, it melts in my mouth. I had to scrape the "rub" off cuz I had too much pepper in it...but once I did that, it was sublime.

Smoked it at 225° for 2.5 hours, then wrapped and finished in the oven at 225°. It took almost 4 hours in the oven to get to 203° throughout. Pulled, wrapped in a towel and let it rest for an hour and a half before slicing into it.

Rubbed and ready to go

Ready to devour

Cross section

Sammich

That'll do

I am shopping for a new gas grill. I grill multiple times per week I get out charcoal when I want to get fancy, but daily use is my gas grill. 

Consumer Reports says this is the top grill:

https://monumentgrills.com/products/6-burner-grill

Anyone own a Monument Grill?

This had been my plan:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/genesis-ii-series/62006001.html

I am pretty sure I would get a much longer life out of the Weber. However if the Monument grill lasts half as long at its price it might make sense.

Thoughts?
I still haven't pulled the trigger. Any other thoughts?

Pastrami was a success. I didnt get bark like I hoped (because of the mustard and low temp I guess?), but holy cow, I couldn't even lift it out of the foil, it literally fell apart as I tried. Even cutting with the grain didn't matter, it melts in my mouth. I had to scrape the "rub" off cuz I had too much pepper in it...but once I did that, it was sublime.

Smoked it at 225° for 2.5 hours, then wrapped and finished in the oven at 225°. It took almost 4 hours in the oven to get to 203° throughout. Pulled, wrapped in a towel and let it rest for an hour and a half before slicing into it.

Rubbed and ready to go

Ready to devour

Cross section

Sammich

That'll do
"Too much pepper"?  Blasphemer!  I have to admit, that sammich looks pretty good for ruined brisket.  🙂

"Too much pepper"?  Blasphemer!  I have to admit, that sammich looks pretty good for ruined brisket.  🙂
I didnt think it was possible either.. the prob was I had a mix of peppercorns I crushed myself and pre ground "coarse" black pepper that was too fine (and too much of it). Next tme I will go only self cracked peppercorns. Gonna skip the binder next time (mustard) and see if that makes a difference, as well as smoking at 250 vs 225. I really love a good coarse rub bark on pastrami. I'll play around with it a bit, this was just the first of many pastrami cooks for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still haven't pulled the trigger. Any other thoughts?
I've had my Weber Genesis for going on 10 years now.  I can always get new grill grates or flavorizer bars from Amazon if/when they burn out.  Still fires up with the igniter every single time.  You cannot go wrong with this product. 

My Dad has the same kind of philosophy on grills when I tell him to invest in a Weber.  "I can buy a Char-Broil for a quarter of the price!"  And then I say, "Yeah, but you've been through 5 of them since I've had mine."

Did some work for an old friend...he surprised me today with an email that my DynaQ temp control from BBQ Guru has shipped.  He just up and ordered me one.

Looking forward to a long cook on the Kamado Joe just setting that bad boy up and letting it get my temps right for hours.

I've had my Weber Genesis for going on 10 years now.  I can always get new grill grates or flavorizer bars from Amazon if/when they burn out.  Still fires up with the igniter every single time.  You cannot go wrong with this product. 
I've had my Weber Spirit for prolly 15 years now, and the best thing I ever did was toss the cheap grill grates that came on it, for cast iron....get that sucker hot, and it cools like a champ!

I've got THE way to grill chicken breasts...chunk em into pieces about an inch and half or so, marinate overnight, or a couple days in equal parts kikkoman teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar....add some rooster sauce if dig a bit o heat......thread the chunks on wooden skewers.  Get the grill piping hot, then bring down to medium, cook 5 mins, flip, another 5....good to go.   I also do a marinade with avocado oil, cumin, garlic salt, a bit of lime, cayenne....delicious.  the key is chunking the chix breast to equal size pieces...and the marinade....stays moist and juicy.

Manster said:
I've had my Weber Spirit for prolly 15 years now, and the best thing I ever did was toss the cheap grill grates that came on it, for cast iron....get that sucker hot, and it cools like a champ!

I've got THE way to grill chicken breasts...chunk em into pieces about an inch and half or so, marinate overnight, or a couple days in equal parts kikkoman teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar....add some rooster sauce if dig a bit o heat......thread the chunks on wooden skewers.  Get the grill piping hot, then bring down to medium, cook 5 mins, flip, another 5....good to go.   I also do a marinade with avocado oil, cumin, garlic salt, a bit of lime, cayenne....delicious.  the key is chunking the chix breast to equal size pieces...and the marinade....stays moist and juicy.
The problem is that a 15 year old Weber was made differently than one made in the last 12 months. Getting 15 years out of a new one is not realistic. 

Here is an example of that. Not quite apples to apples, but you will get the idea. I had 25 year old Weber kettle that had no rust on it. That was 12 years ago. I got rid of it when my wife got me a new blue one for my first Father's Day from my baby boy. Six months later, nearly every component had some rust. I reached out to customer support and they sent me a new bottom bowl, lid and ash catcher. The only parts that didn't have any rust were the legs.

On a side note, taking the bottom bowl or the lid and dropping it in an 8 inch depression in the ground with the vents open makes for a pretty kick ### planter in a flower garden. 

Did some work for an old friend...he surprised me today with an email that my DynaQ temp control from BBQ Guru has shipped.  He just up and ordered me one.

Looking forward to a long cook on the Kamado Joe just setting that bad boy up and letting it get my temps right for hours.
The update on this...huge thumbs up.

Simple use machine...kept temps between 230-240 where I wanted for my ribs.  And they tasted fantastic...this will definitely be huge going forward for longer cooks worrying even less than I already did about the temps on the KJ.

Little Friday experiment...

I wanted to see if I could reduce the cook time and increase the flavor by cutting a butt into smaller pieces before smoking.  I plan to run it at 180 for about an hour to maximize smoke intake and then dial it up to 250 until done. I may ramp to 275 if needed. Shooting for a 5-6 hour cook.

Friday Fun

I wanted to see if I could reduce the cook time and increase the flavor by cutting a butt into smaller pieces before smoking.  I plan to run it at 180 for about an hour to maximize smoke intake and then dial it up to 250 until done. I may ramp to 275 if needed. Shooting for a 5-6 hour cook.

Friday Fun
I started cutting my butts into chunks about 3-4 years ago (I cut them even smaller and put them in a foil pan). Havent cooked a whole butt since. Cooks MUCH faster, WAY more bark, and more smoke flavor. Its a win-win-win, IMO.

Any thoughts/experience with the RecTeq B380? Stainless body is appealing.

ETA - this is apparently a new/improved version with better temp control vs a prior model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used one but I've heard great things about this generation.  I've never cared for the idea of pellet smokers as grills because I view grills as high heat and historically pellets don't achieve that. BUT, apparently the Riot mode on this one can hit around 750 F which is pretty damn good. It isn't direct charcoal, infrared, or restaurant broiler hot but it should get the job done. And at $399 it seems like a bargain.

Never used one but I've heard great things about this generation.  I've never cared for the idea of pellet smokers as grills because I view grills as high heat and historically pellets don't achieve that. BUT, apparently the Riot mode on this one can hit around 750 F which is pretty damn good. It isn't direct charcoal, infrared, or restaurant broiler hot but it should get the job done. And at $399 it seems like a bargain.
That was my thought.  AmazingRibs noted they haven't been able to get hands-on but that at least 2 of their 4 big problems with the first generation had been addressed - notably the PID temp controller.

I have an old cheap-o gas grill that's done for, and this seems like it would be a pretty nice replacement at that price.  

Friday Fun
Well, I did a terrible job of taking more pics, but the results were positive.  Cooking time reduced for sure. The smaller chunks were done well within 5 hours and the biggest one within 7.  I think the flavor was more pronounced as well because I normally do a post-pull rub dusting and I didn't do that this time and the flavor was good.

So, I think this is legit for quicker pulled pork.

ETA - this is apparently a new/improved version with better temp control vs a prior model.
I’ve heard good things about recteq as well.  At the price point I’d be wondering what the catch is?  But it’s cheap enough to give it a go and find out.  

Did a turkey on the smoker today.  Traeger rub slathered in mayo. It was spectacular.  Put the dark meat on first. 45 minutes later out the white meat on. Cooked at 275. Super good and juicy.  Had a corn pudding with Anaheim chiles along with it. Phenomenal. 

I'll be trying Bacon Wrapped Pickle Chips next weekend.  I'd sent this to a buddy who tried and and the feedback I got was to be sure to use salt free rub or seasoning; ask the bacon and pickle are obviously already way salty.  

I've been listening to Smoking Podcasts while working out lately and have a list of things to search up and try which include:

• Smoked beef hot dogs (premium Nathan's) with nacho cheese, bacon and jalepenos
  • Smoked meatloaf with smoked ketchup
  • Reverse seared smoked potatoes
  • Smoked, grilled pineapple margarita 

I need some advice.  I am going to be cooking for a small group of folks Saturday, cooking Mac & Cheese, ribs and chicken wings.  We'll be out of town, so I'll be smoking all of this on my Green Mountain Davy Crocket tailgate smoker, which will mean I'll have to do things in waves.  I can do the Mac & Cheese the day before.  I am going to use Johnny Trigg's 321 method on the ribs and plan on doing them before the wings.  To keep the ribs warm, my plan is to wrap them back in the foil from the 2 hour phase and put them in my Yeti.  I heard of the whole cooler idea while listening a podcast about brisket.  The wings should only take about an hour and a half.  Are there any dos and don'ts to putting the ribs in the cooler to stay warm?  I figured this would be way better than keeping them warm in the oven, which may dry them out a bit.  

I need some advice.  I am going to be cooking for a small group of folks Saturday, cooking Mac & Cheese, ribs and chicken wings.  We'll be out of town, so I'll be smoking all of this on my Green Mountain Davy Crocket tailgate smoker, which will mean I'll have to do things in waves.  I can do the Mac & Cheese the day before.  I am going to use Johnny Trigg's 321 method on the ribs and plan on doing them before the wings.  To keep the ribs warm, my plan is to wrap them back in the foil from the 2 hour phase and put them in my Yeti.  I heard of the whole cooler idea while listening a podcast about brisket.  The wings should only take about an hour and a half.  Are there any dos and don'ts to putting the ribs in the cooler to stay warm?  I figured this would be way better than keeping them warm in the oven, which may dry them out a bit.  
I would probably just reduce the cook time by at least an hour and then let them rest in the cooler afterward versus not cooking them during the two hour phase and then putting them back on with the wings for service.  I assume that's what you mean?  I think they might end up being dried out or have an odd texture if you stall the cooking and then put them back on after the fact.  Kind of like the "next day ribs" you'd get at a chain BBQ place.     

@2Young2BBaldI agree with @Grahamburn. I think ribs are too thin to hold like that. Alternatively I would suggest you pre-smoke the wings for an hour or so, put them in double plastic bag and plunge cool in ice bath. Then finish them on high at serving time in the smoker, take an outdoor propane fryer and fry them (best choice, IMO), or char them over a small charcoal grill.

@2Young2BBaldI agree with @Grahamburn. I think ribs are too thin to hold like that. Alternatively I would suggest you pre-smoke the wings for an hour or so, put them in double plastic bag and plunge cool in ice bath. Then finish them on high at serving time in the smoker, take an outdoor propane fryer and fry them (best choice, IMO), or char them over a small charcoal grill.
Second this on the wings...get that pre smoke flavor...then re heat at the end.  Id rather get the ribs just right and focus on them.

I agree with @Ron Swanson on all this. If you really want to keep the ribs warm like that, I would wrap multiple labs together so they can insulate each other and then wrap that in a towel before putting in the cooler. That should give you an hour or two. And if they aren't quite warm enough, slap them back in the GMG at 400ish for 20 minutes. 

Looking to buy a reasonably priced pellet grill. 

Anyone have any experience with Landmann?

Sold by Sams club, reviews are solid

https://www.samsclub.com/p/landmann-barrel-pellet-grill/prod24151907?pid=EMCR_34&smtrctid=55629113

edit to remove the zgrill I linked to in same price range. Too small for me 
Funny you should mention Landmann. I may be doing some digital marketing for them. If I do, I will get all the inside scoop. But it will be a few weeks before I know. 

Looking to buy a reasonably priced pellet grill. 

Anyone have any experience with Landmann?

Sold by Sams club, reviews are solid

https://www.samsclub.com/p/landmann-barrel-pellet-grill/prod24151907?pid=EMCR_34&smtrctid=55629113

edit to remove the zgrill I linked to in same price range. Too small for me 
In that price range I would take a look at the RecTeq B380 that @heckmanmlinked upthread. It has a SS body and it has some pretty decent sear ability in addition to low and slow. And a PID controller with a meat probe.

In that price range I would take a look at the RecTeq B380 that @heckmanmlinked upthread. It has a SS body and it has some pretty decent sear ability in addition to low and slow. And a PID controller with a meat probe.
Thanks Ron.

I checked that one out when heck posted it and it looks like a good deal but I worry that it won’t be big enough if I want to have people over for a cookout, 4-5 racks of spares ?

Thanks Ron.

I checked that one out when heck posted it and it looks like a good deal but I worry that it won’t be big enough if I want to have people over for a cookout, 4-5 racks of spares ?
Yeah I was about to bump my prior post but noticed the one you linked had about 4x the cooking surface. If I get the RecTeq I'll still have my old vertical offset if I need to do any big cooks, but it's kind of a PITA in terms of holding temps, and I like the set-it-and-forget-it factor when I'm just cooking for my wife and me.

I bought a smoker from Grilla Grills about a year ago and have loved it.  It's very well made, double-walled (which is great for keeping temp when it's cold outside) and their customer service is really good.  I follow them on FB, and whenever anyone has any issues, Grilla, and typically even the owner, address it and correct it quickly.  The parts are easy to maintain, and their site has great videos on how to take everything apart if you need to.  I have the the grilla (the black circular one) and my brother has the Silverback.  Both great smokers with their separate pros and cons, but neither one of us would switch for the other.  🙂

Grilla Grills

They have some videos that go into detail about the comparisons vs other smokers as well.  I think they're pretty well priced for the quality you get.

Nailed it!  All done with the GM Davy Crocket. Did the Mac and cheese the day before (2 of them), the wings early in the morning and then at 400 in the oven to crisp them up. Did the ribs using Triggs 321 method. I had to up the temp to 275 for the last hour to get them to 200. The crab was a late edition and used the smoker to make garlic lemon butter.  Also did Bacon wrapped pickles.   I just wish I’d made more. Served these with ranch. 

Cowboysfan8 said:
Any Pit Boss guys in here?

Apparently the guy who founded Traeger works with Pit Boss now?

my son in law has one and loves it
“Joe and Brian Traeger went to work as independent contractors for Dansons in 2018, and that company used the Traegers and the Traeger barn in marketing.

Traeger Pellet Grills, Dansons lawsuit

Dansons, which is based in Arizona, sells pellet grills under the Pit Boss and Louisiana Grill brands, including at WalMart.

Class:Lawsuit claims Traeger Grills misleads customers about wood in pellets

After the Traegers were hired, Dansons also announced a new line of grills branded “Founders Series” stating it is “brought to you proudly by Joe Traeger, the founder of the original pellet grill.”

Traeger Pellet Grills didn’t specify monetary damages sought in its suits, and didn’t disclose financial terms of the settlement.

In the settlement, which was reached in late June, each party was directed to bear its own attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses.

The Arizona suit also named Silverton resident George Koster, a former Traeger employee who went to work for Dansons, alleging he shared trade secrets including designs for a new vertical smoker with short legs and a round body.

Court records show Koster created a prototype of the design while still employed by Traeger and allege that design was copied by Danson’s “Whiskey Still” model, which was released in 2018.  “

I didn’t know this

You want to see the real underbelly of the pellet grill industry and what Traeger does down in the muck? Read this (because when Traeger gets done mopping the floor with every pellet manufacturer, pretty much every other grill that has any sort of connectivity with an app is going to cost more as Traeger will be getting a cut of every one of those grills sold).

Well, I did a terrible job of taking more pics, but the results were positive.  Cooking time reduced for sure. The smaller chunks were done well within 5 hours and the biggest one within 7.  I think the flavor was more pronounced as well because I normally do a post-pull rub dusting and I didn't do that this time and the flavor was good.

So, I think this is legit for quicker pulled pork.
How did you check for doneness?  Just poke each piece to see, or put a probe in the smaller one and pull it when done, then move the probe to a bigger one?  or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread