Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

bryhamm

58 minutes ago, snore said:

Have really been into roasting chickens spatchcock style on the ole recteq lately. Just enough smoke flavor @350 for 1.5-2 hours dependent upon bird size. Cube up the meat for quick lunches during the week…Smoked chicken quesadillas, tacos, and chicken salad sandwiches. 

Yeah...have done a few on the Kamado Joe...makes great leftovers and easy to do a couple birds or so at a time.  (2 for me if spatchcocking...usually add a third if standing them up beer can chicken style and I want more room...and have the time).

Just the smoked chicken on salads during the week for lunch.  Smoked Chicken stuffed potatoes.

And the beach favorite...I smoke a couple the week before a beach trip...pull/shred the meat and freeze it.  At the beach about lunch one day I will throw that in the crock pot with a bit of chicken broth.  Season fajita style and let it heat up the rest of the day while we are all at the beach.  When we come back in...I get cleaned up first then start the onions on the stove and salsa and guac and we have a great meal without having to do much cooking after being on the beach all day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Bourbon marinated pork tenderloin on the pellet grill later today, my first try 

😃

Bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar is a go to for pork tenderloin in our house.  Always well received.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Do you reduce it into a sauce or just use it as a marinade?

Marinade.  Not even sure i have the original recipe anymore.  Some parts oil, soy sauce, bourbon, garlic, pepper…sometimes i add a little orange juice too for the last hour of it.  

I usually mix up a little brown sugar soy sauce and garlic chili paste as a dipping sauce too.

• Like 1

Tried something new last night. Not really BBQ, but related.  I had a little smoked brisket left over.  Some point, some flat. So I ran it through the grinder just like I would raw meat. Used it for enchilada meat and quick tacos.  Crazy good. Not much texture wise but the flavor it brings is so, so good.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Tried something new last night. Not really BBQ, but related.  I had a little smoked brisket left over.  Some point, some flat. So I ran it through the grinder just like I would raw meat. Used it for enchilada meat and quick tacos.  Crazy good. Not much texture wise but the flavor it brings is so, so good.

Always turn my leftovers into something else.  Tacos.  Pizza.  Hash.  Never thought to grind it up.  Just give it a rough chop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

Always turn my leftovers into something else.  Tacos.  Pizza.  Hash.  Never thought to grind it up.  Just give it a rough chop. 

Same here.  Grinding turns out to be much easier and super consistent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Details on that pesto por favor

It's really good on grilled meat, or anything for that matter. Put it all in a food processor and blend it up. :thumbup:

3/4 Cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
1 - large poblano pepper (or 2 small)
2 - cloves garlic
1/2 Cup cashews
1 tsp lime zest
1 tsp orange zest
2 1/2 Tbls - fresh lime juice
1 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp - white pepper
5 Tblsp - E.V.O.O.
1 Tbls - rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp - soy sauce
salt to taste

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, facook said:

Smoked salmon on the Traeger yesterday.  Amazingly good, and I'm not usually a big fan of salmon.

Smoked salmon is one of my favorite things to smoke.  We do it once a week at this point.  So good.  Especially if you cure it over night. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Smoked salmon is one of my favorite things to smoke.  We do it once a week at this point.  So good.  Especially if you cure it over night. 

We did a two step program, about 18 hours total.  Dry brine for 8, then wash, dry, and let set overnight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, facook said:

We did a two step program, about 18 hours total.  Dry brine for 8, then wash, dry, and let set overnight.

That’s pretty much what we do.  Wet brine over night then dry for about  2-4 hours then smoke. 

Edited by PinkydaPimp
  • Like 1

So I made this Santa Maria Tri Tip tonight.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/santa-maria-tri-tip-hollingsworth

It came out amazing.  We added some Jack Daniels to the maranade for the hell of it.

My wife made the Pico De Gallo in the recipe. It was killer. Really went well on top of the tri tip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cooked my first Brisket over the weekend.   If say a solid B on the effort.  Not as moist as I would have liked the flat to stay on the slices.  But still tender and tasty.  Kids ate it which was a win.

But really did it for just us and had a ton of leftovers.  Have chopped some and sautéed some onions and mushrooms and made cheesesteaks this week.  The wife approved.

Tonight cubed up the point and made burnt ends.  So far the highlight of this cook.  They were so dang good.

Get to the end of it tomorrow with some Brisket taco bowl.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Cooked my first Brisket over the weekend.   If say a solid B on the effort.  Not as moist as I would have liked the flat to stay on the slices.  But still tender and tasty.  Kids ate it which was a win.

But really did it for just us and had a ton of leftovers.  Have chopped some and sautéed some onions and mushrooms and made cheesesteaks this week.  The wife approved.

Tonight cubed up the point and made burnt ends.  So far the highlight of this cook.  They were so dang good.

Get to the end of it tomorrow with some Brisket taco bowl.

I need to do one soon.  Been doing a lot of beef ribs this summer.  

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

Just wondered. I’ve never seen a Kroger store. 

Ive also never smoked a brisket. But I will one of these days. Almost ordered a prime brisket from the website @Ron Swanson linked but didn’t pull the trigger 

Yeah...knowing I wasn't getting prime...I was pretty picky about the marbling of what they did have.  Sacrificed a bit of thickness in the flat (which was a different mistake leading to different doneness than I wanted there vs. the point...a bit of a fault in execution of the cook).

• Like 1

My son in law showed up today and told me he smoked cream cheese on his pit boss yesterday. 🤔

I happened to have a block in my fridge so I fired mine up, gave it some pitboss sweet heat rub and smoked at 200 for 2 hours on the top rack on a sheet of aluminum foil.

How it didn’t melt idk but it was delicious. Had it on triscuits and potato chips. Will be doing it again and will hammer it with the rub next time

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

My son in law showed up today and told me he smoked cream cheese on his pit boss yesterday. 🤔

I happened to have a block in my fridge so I fired mine up, gave it some pitboss sweet heat rub and smoked at 200 for 2 hours on the top rack on a sheet of aluminum foil.

How it didn’t melt idk but it was delicious. Had it on triscuits and potato chips. Will be doing it again and will hammer it with the rub next time

Does it take on a lot of smoke? 

Edited by PinkydaPimp

18 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

My nephew was talking about this yesterday.  Will have to give it a try.

34 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Sounds amazing. Thanks!

Complete freaking grilling disaster tonight. I got some "gourmet" brats delivered by local dairy company as part of a grilling package. So I cook four of them in some beer on the stove--medium heat for about 15 minutes or so. I preheated my gas grill  to medium heat in the middle with the outer edges with more heat. I put brats on the top rack in the middle on the medium to low heat area. I go inside to get a beer and I am gone for less than two minutes, and my daughters says, "Dad, lots of smoke out there!!"  I go out and I have flames two to three feet high. They were so intense I couldn't even get a tong on the brats. I was seriously worried about the propane blowing up from the heat. When I got them off the grill after 30 seconds or so, they were literally burnt hockey pucks. 

I can only guess that one of them ruptured and leaked and that caused the flames. I hate cooking brats--I really do. 

This was literally one of my worst grilling experiences--only matched by the time I had company over and had purchased really nice steaks and the propane went out two minutes in. 

I need serious help on my brat skills.. 

8 hours ago, Courtjester said:

Complete freaking grilling disaster tonight. I got some "gourmet" brats delivered by local dairy company as part of a grilling package. So I cook four of them in some beer on the stove--medium heat for about 15 minutes or so. I preheated my gas grill  to medium heat in the middle with the outer edges with more heat. I put brats on the top rack in the middle on the medium to low heat area. I go inside to get a beer and I am gone for less than two minutes, and my daughters says, "Dad, lots of smoke out there!!"  I go out and I have flames two to three feet high. They were so intense I couldn't even get a tong on the brats. I was seriously worried about the propane blowing up from the heat. When I got them off the grill after 30 seconds or so, they were literally burnt hockey pucks. 

I can only guess that one of them ruptured and leaked and that caused the flames. I hate cooking brats--I really do. 

This was literally one of my worst grilling experiences--only matched by the time I had company over and had purchased really nice steaks and the propane went out two minutes in. 

I don’t close the lid and NEVER walk away

10 hours ago, Courtjester said:

😮😮😮. Was their grease in there somehow prior?  

3 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

😮😮😮. Was their grease in there somehow prior?  

My guess as well.

I made a few rounds of poppers a couple weeks back and must've had some bacon grease in the bottom of the kettle. Kinda forgot about it and then fired up the grill to make a pizza the other night (which requires super high heat) and had a huge fireball for a about 5 minutes. 

I think there must have been some grease in the catch tray.  I had just cleaned off the grates prior to putting the brats on, so that seems like a likely scenario.

Plus now I will remember to get a beer before putting the brats on

I grill pretty regularly and I have never seen such an intense fire.

6 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I think there must have been some grease in the catch tray.  I had just cleaned off the grates prior to putting the brats on, so that seems like a likely scenario.

Plus now I will remember to get a beer before putting the brats on

I grill pretty regularly and I have never seen such an intense fire.

Happened to me once after I slow bbq’d a whole grill full of skin on chicken. 

Fired it up to preheat and when I came back 10 mins later it was the towering inferno :lol:

On 8/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, Courtjester said:

Most foolproof and tastiest way to cook brats is to sous vide them first.  Cooking them in their own trapped juices created much more flavor than beer braising or any other technique.  Then just sear them to maillard a bit on a super hot open grill or use a torch. Easy, foolproof, tasty, and super quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my pellet peeps ….

Walmart.com has pitboss pellets for 8.88/20lbs for a lot of varieties. Free 2 day shipping over $35

I got two 20 lb apple, a 20 lb charcoal because I wanted to try it and a 30 lb fruit wood blend. Also 6 bucket liners for $44. 

Ordered Sunday delivered Tuesday morning.

20 lb apple and hickory at my Lowe’s are $12 a bag

eta: I’m sure they have other brands but I didn’t look for them

Edited by Cowboysfan8