What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

I think there must have been some grease in the catch tray.  I had just cleaned off the grates prior to putting the brats on, so that seems like a likely scenario.

Plus now I will remember to get a beer before putting the brats on

I grill pretty regularly and I have never seen such an intense fire.
i used to cook for our office bbq on a propane grill, usually burgers and brats for 50 people.  Nobody ever cleaned that thing and one time I thought for sure it was gonna blow, flames like 2 feet in the air.  Was able to get gas shut off and finished the cook on low heat with less meat at a time

Made the interns clean it before our next BBQ

Have also got some flare ups on the egg doing bacon on there

Cowboysfan8 said:
For my pellet peeps ….

Walmart.com has pitboss pellets for 8.88/20lbs for a lot of varieties. Free 2 day shipping over $35

I got two 20 lb apple, a 20 lb charcoal because I wanted to try it and a 30 lb fruit wood blend. Also 6 bucket liners for $44. 

Ordered Sunday delivered Tuesday morning.

20 lb apple and hickory at my Lowe’s are $12 a bag

eta: I’m sure they have other brands but I didn’t look for them
Curious about the charcoal pellets.  I'm going back and forth between a pellet grill (like the RecTec Bullseye) and one of the gravity-feed charcoal models. 

Charcoal pellets - if they work well - could settle me on the RecTec stainless-steel side of things. 

Curious about the charcoal pellets.  I'm going back and forth between a pellet grill (like the RecTec Bullseye) and one of the gravity-feed charcoal models. 

Charcoal pellets - if they work well - could settle me on the RecTec stainless-steel side of things. 
I may fire it up this weekend, if I do I will report back 

Have had a brisket in the sous vide since yesterday. A little over 24 hours, I'll move it to my ghetto smoker setup: propane grill, put it on top rack, put a drip pan underneath (to avoid getting a bunch of drippings in the bottom of the grill, which I discovered was a major hazard about a week ago and have since taken apart and fully cleaned everything. Almost like new!), and then I have a little tube with tons of holes that holds pellets, which I light and stick next to the drip pan.

Pan deflects heat, smoke fills the grill = makeshift smoker, get my bark and flavor.

Did it with a pork shoulder last week, will report back on the brisket.

Have had a brisket in the sous vide since yesterday. A little over 24 hours, I'll move it to my ghetto smoker setup: propane grill, put it on top rack, put a drip pan underneath (to avoid getting a bunch of drippings in the bottom of the grill, which I discovered was a major hazard about a week ago and have since taken apart and fully cleaned everything. Almost like new!), and then I have a little tube with tons of holes that holds pellets, which I light and stick next to the drip pan.

Pan deflects heat, smoke fills the grill = makeshift smoker, get my bark and flavor.

A whole brisket? Or maybe just the flat? How big is your sous vide vessel?

The container that came with my Anova will definitely hold a full packer. A cooler would work as well. 
Man i need an anova.  And a blackstone.  I really want the anova precision oven but don’t have the space for it but which one is that large it can fit a brisket?  

Just tossed on two pork butts about 17lbs.  Didn’t realize it was that large (costco).

probably will do one regular style and might do one with gochugang.  I didn’t want to add it at the start due to sugar but I’ll add after i wrap or hit 165.  Anyone tried this?  Heard it’s good.

also need suggestions on what to do with all the leftovers.  I could freeze some(maybe a good reason to get an anova for reheating this) other ideas?   Can do taco night.  After day 3 i will probably be all porked out though.   :shrug:  

Man i need an anova.  And a blackstone.  I really want the anova precision oven but don’t have the space for it but which one is that large it can fit a brisket?  
I bought the one that Costco sells. I think it's the Precision Cooker. 

Anova Precision Cooker

After further review it would be tight. 

10.8 lb brisket

This is a frozen brisket but after it's thawed and trimmed I think it will fit. May have to bend it a little as I don't think it will lay flat. 

I bought the one that Costco sells. I think it's the Precision Cooker. 

Anova Precision Cooker

After further review it would be tight. 

10.8 lb brisket

This is a frozen brisket but after it's thawed and trimmed I think it will fit. May have to bend it a little as I don't think it will lay flat. 
Ah, that makes sense. I always forget that packers are available in small sizes.  I normally buy them in the 18-20 pound range. And you're also correct in that you could just use a cooler for the sv vessel.

Just tossed on two pork butts about 17lbs.  Didn’t realize it was that large (costco).

probably will do one regular style and might do one with gochugang.  I didn’t want to add it at the start due to sugar but I’ll add after i wrap or hit 165.  Anyone tried this?  Heard it’s good.

also need suggestions on what to do with all the leftovers.  I could freeze some(maybe a good reason to get an anova for reheating this) other ideas?   Can do taco night.  After day 3 i will probably be all porked out though.   :shrug:  
I save some and do a delicious green chile posole in the winter usually.

If I’m going to freeze it should i pull it first or leave it in tact and pull when reheating?

Last edited by a moderator:

Taco nights are good...or in a quesadilla.

Instead of pulling some...chunk it and make it like burnt ends as a leftoever.

Our typical leftover (did it Friday night from this past week's cook) is the stuff potato.

Depending on the flavor profile...works well in stir fry (Im guessing the gochugang one would work well there) or in ramen (just going to have to get the base from and outside source to make the broth).

Have a receipe?
There's one in the cooking or slow cooker thread in the FFA somewhere that I have referenced before, but also...I don't really use recipes religiously. 

Something like:

homemade veggie stock (or your meat's stock if you have it)

garlic

####load of hatch chiles

serranos

poblanos

some onions (i like a bunch raw as a topping too)

tomatillos

cumin

coriander

can of hominy

meat either chicken or pork

Top with onion, cilantro, cheese

I don't think you are going to get much smoke this way.  I've never done it, but the way I've heard is to smoke it for a period initially, then finish in the sous vide.

I don't think you are going to get much smoke this way.  I've never done it, but the way I've heard is to smoke it for a period initially, then finish in the sous vide.
It worked extremely well. Once the grill was filled with smoke and at a decent temp, I turned the burners off and let it sit there for a couple hours, flipping burner on for a bit if temp dropped. got a really nice bark, and tons of hickory flavor.

Since I have completely given up on my pizza oven, I just bought a Traeger at Costco. According to a friend who has one, this is basically smoking meat for dummies. So right up my alley. Looking forward to it.

So I have a huge Costco pack of baby back ribs (3-4 racks)I'm going to smoke tomorrow.  First try at ribs on my treagor.

What temp and how long should I cook them?   Have seen a few notes that the Costco ribs are larger and take longer. Want to get your guys opinion.  

Wife bought some Hawaiian BBQ sauce she wants me to use.  Anything I should put on the ribs to start?  Or just put the sauce on at the end?  Thanks!

So I have a huge Costco pack of baby back ribs (3-4 racks)I'm going to smoke tomorrow.  First try at ribs on my treagor.

What temp and how long should I cook them?   Have seen a few notes that the Costco ribs are larger and take longer. Want to get your guys opinion.  

Wife bought some Hawaiian BBQ sauce she wants me to use.  Anything I should put on the ribs to start?  Or just put the sauce on at the end?  Thanks!
This is my favorite rub for pork. 

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup non-iodized table salt

1/8 cup brown sugar, dried

4 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

If you want fall off the bone 3-2-1

Ive been doing baby’s 2-1.5-1

225 degrees

So my suggestion since it’s your first time is to test.  

one rack do 3-2-1.  One rack don’t wrap at all.  If you have more racks try one another way.  Then at the end see which you like.

how to smoke.  With a pellet often there is a smoke setting that is a lower temp.  I typically like to give it one hour on this setting and then raise to my target temp.  For ribs I’m usually smoking at around 245 but i tweak depending on when i need them to be done.  

otherwise rub em and toss them in.  I would save any bbq sauce until the final 30 mins.  But you don’t need to sauce them.  

for rub half course salt half course pepper is an easy go to.  

me i don’t wrap.  I like the bark.  But others prefer that 3-2-1 or alterations of that.  You will find what you like.  

most important:  take pics and report back.  I always took notes on my first smokes so i knew what to tweak if it came out not as expected:  super helpful when you go to smoke next time and can’t remember what you did.

It worked extremely well. Once the grill was filled with smoke and at a decent temp, I turned the burners off and let it sit there for a couple hours, flipping burner on for a bit if temp dropped. got a really nice bark, and tons of hickory flavor.
What was your full process?  I've tried brisket a few times SV and just can't get it right.  I did exactly what you did - SV first then ghetto smoker in an old grill with a heat plate/frying pan.  Smoke worked great but I never got a tender juicy result, always pretty dry and overly firm.

What was your full process?  I've tried brisket a few times SV and just can't get it right.  I did exactly what you did - SV first then ghetto smoker in an old grill with a heat plate/frying pan.  Smoke worked great but I never got a tender juicy result, always pretty dry and overly firm.
I heat the grill up and get the smoke going, and when it's at about 300 I just turn it off and so the only heat source is my little smoke stick thing.

It's not in there super long. Also I do the temp in SV at 155 for ~30 hours.

This is my favorite rub for pork. 

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup non-iodized table salt

1/8 cup brown sugar, dried

4 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

If you want fall off the bone 3-2-1

Ive been doing baby’s 2-1.5-1

225 degrees

So we are going to one with your rub above.  One just salt and pepper as I saw @Joe Bryant tweet about this today and one with the Hawaiian BBQ sauce.     Should be interesting to see what we like best.

Burnt ends guys…never made em

do I smoke brisket like normal with point and flat intact?  Then cook to normal temp?  Then slice off point and chop up and then throw in a pan with whatever sauce to burnt end then up?

is that the gist of it at least?

any other tips / recipes appreciated 

do I smoke brisket like normal with point and flat intact?  Then cook to normal temp?  Then slice off point and chop up and then throw in a pan with whatever sauce to burnt end then up?

Not done it much...but yeah.  Its pretty simple and they are freaking amazing.

I actually did it with the leftovers as I had my fill of the flat as I was trimming and slicing and some nibbles of point too.

Cubed it up the next day and threw it back on the smoker in sauce.  Just so freaking good.

Yes, that's exactly right.

For more Texas style cooking for the brisket, meaning slice all of it and don't do burnt ends, search for the Aaron Franklin video series on YouTube. It's outstanding and the best I've seen online. 

I did an Alton Brown chicken recipe a while back with a rub mix that included Adobo seasoning. Had most of the jar of adobo still around, so I just sprinkled it on some thighs and let them dry-brine for about 6 hours. 

Came out REALLY good, although plenty salty on the thinner side of the thigh.  (It's mostly salt & garlic with some other spices, so nothing earth-shattering here)

(BTW, with the Alton Brown recipe, it's really easy to burn the skin side, so check before the 4-5 minutes listed)

This has probably been discussed before but I don’t remember.

If I wanted to overnight a 8-10 lb pork butt for pulled pork on a Thursday into Friday, then pull and eat on Saturday evening how would I go about cooling it down for the refrigerator?

Should I still towel/cooler for a few hours?

Is the end product going to be as good as if I pulled it 2 hours after it came off the smoker?

Best way to reheat?

Should I just forget the whole thing ?

If I wanted to overnight a 8-10 lb pork butt for pulled pork on a Thursday into Friday, then pull and eat on Saturday evening how would I go about cooling it down for the refrigerator?

Is the end product going to be as good as if I pulled it 2 hours after it came off the smoker?

Best way to reheat?

It's never as good reheated as it is off the pit.

But that said, life happens. 

The key I think is leave it whole until you're ready to serve. Then pull. I would cool down and get in a refrigerator pretty quickly after cooking.

Then reheat slowly in a 250 degree oven. Covered with foil and likely some sort of apple juice or other liquid in the pan to help add moisture.

Get it up to temp that is warm (this might take a couple of hours - stay with it).

Then pull as you would if it had come off the smoker.

You judge BBQ by whether it "needs" sauce or not. This may need some sauce. It's not a big deal. It's why lots of commercial bbq is heavily sauced. You did what you could do. 

And even at the less than perfect state, it'll likely be better than most BBQ your friends have ever eaten. 

It's never as good reheated as it is off the pit.

But that said, life happens. 

The key I think is leave it whole until you're ready to serve. Then pull. I would cool down and get in a refrigerator pretty quickly after cooking.

Then reheat slowly in a 250 degree oven. Covered with foil and likely some sort of apple juice or other liquid in the pan to help add moisture.

Get it up to temp that is warm (this might take a couple of hours - stay with it).

Then pull as you would if it had come off the smoker.

You judge BBQ by whether it "needs" sauce or not. This may need some sauce. It's not a big deal. It's why lots of commercial bbq is heavily sauced. You did what you could do. 

And even at the less than perfect state, it'll likely be better than most BBQ your friends have ever eaten. 
Thanks Joe!

👍

Best way to reheat?

Pull off the pit and double bag in food safe plastic bags and then plunge cool in icewater to get the temp down quickly. Then reheat as Joe said. OR I would consider pulling it a couple hours before finished and then finish the cook the day you are serving. It will take a little longer to finish than it would have initially because you have to get it back up to temp but it will result in better BBQ than finished and reheated.  I bet you can't even tell the difference.

Pull off the pit and double bag in food safe plastic bags and then plunge cool in icewater to get the temp down quickly. Then reheat as Joe said. OR I would consider pulling it a couple hours before finished and then finish the cook the day you are serving. It will take a little longer to finish than it would have initially because you have to get it back up to temp but it will result in better BBQ than finished and reheated.  I bet you can't even tell the difference.
Thanks 

I will only have access to an oven on Saturday 

@Getzlaf15

Howd you make out?
They came out great.  Did 3 , 2, 1.  

The Hawaiian BBQ sauce came out best.  Put a layer on with 30 minutes to go and another with 15 minutes to go. Fell right off the bone and were nice and tender and juicy.  

Your rub was next best.   Those fell off the bone also, but had a hint of dryness to them. I would take them off a tad earlier next time.  Liked the way the sugar lightly caramelized on the ribs.  

The salt and pepper is something I will never do again.  Only one of the five of us liked them.  Just too much salt.  

They came out great.  Did 3 , 2, 1.  

The Hawaiian BBQ sauce came out best.  Put a layer on with 30 minutes to go and another with 15 minutes to go. Fell right off the bone and were nice and tender and juicy.  

Your rub was next best.   Those fell off the bone also, but had a hint of dryness to them. I would take them off a tad earlier next time.  Liked the way the sugar lightly caramelized on the ribs.  

The salt and pepper is something I will never do again.  Only one of the five of us liked them.  Just too much salt.  
👍

Cowboysfan8 said:

Best way to reheat?

I actually do this quite a bit. I will smoke it all day on a Saturday when the wife is working and we will have it Sunday for lunch or supper. Like Joe said it is never the same as straight off the smoker but what I have found works pretty well.  I will smoke, rest and pull the night before.  I then put it in the refrigerator overnight.  The next day, I will put it in a crock pot with either apple juice or Root Beer and set the crock pot to low.  I check it fairly frequently, making sure to stir, mix or whatever you want to call it.  If it looks like it is getting low on moisture will add more of whatever I used.

Ron Swanson said:
That's not a problem. You can finish in an oven. Frankly, that far into a cook it won't take on any more smoke flavor anyway.
The plus…the house will smell of pork goodness for days.

Had to finish one in the oven a few years ago due to heavy rain.  House smelled so good.  Have told the story…coming out of our bedroom the next day and it smelled  like bacon…but sadly we had no bacon.

I did a version of bacon wrapped pickle chips like these

For my version i made a coring tool out of a piece of water bottle plastic, and used it to cut the centers out of the pickle chips.   I filled those holes with cream cheese before wrapping with bacon.  Everyone really liked them.

Briskets about 12 hours in.  Decided to throw some bacon on the rack above it for breakfast, hopefully the drippings add some nice flavor

Users who are viewing this thread