What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

So had my temp drop to below 200 after i tossed on some thighs.  Paniced.  Added more charcoal, no dice.  stirred the charcoal around, that did the trick.

This is tricky stuff!!  Its at 230 now.  trying to bring it up to 250 for the thighs. 
 You can also open up the bottom vents some to raise the temp. It doesn't take much. 

Yes, you can slowly dial them back if necessary, give it 5 or 10 minutes and check it. Are you  using a digital thermometer or are you using the one on the smoker?

Since i brought it back up to 250, it has dropped again to 230... not sure why.  all the vents are still open.  Maybe i need to stoke the charcoal a bit more?

I haven't had to stoke mine yet. How far are your vents open? If you are trying to dial the temp in @ 250 then I would open 1 of the vents a little bit more. 

I haven't had to stoke mine yet. How far are your vents open? If you are trying to dial the temp in @ 250 then I would open 1 of the vents a little bit more. 
They are all open completely.  I think my issue is i used royal oak lump charcoal and from what i am reading it burns quickly.  So i think its just that i have to add more when it starts dropping.  Its been on since about 9am EST

They are all open completely.  I think my issue is i used royal oak lump charcoal and from what i am reading it burns quickly.  So i think its just that i have to add more when it starts dropping.  Its been on since about 9am EST
OK. I hope that fixes it. I've never used lump.  

yep.  fixed it.  zoomed up to 260.... now im trying to lower it!!  lol.  i guess this is the learning process
:yes:  Like I said, I'm about 10 cooks in and just starting to feel like I know what I'm doing.  Make minor adjustments and have patience.  Leave the top vent 100% open and control with the bottom vents.  And stock up on Kingsford blue when its on sale.

I always use regular kingsford.  Half ring full for 4-6 hour smoke and full ring full for 12 hour smoke. Start with 1/2 to 2/3 chimney starter on top. Full vents until it gets to temp them close every vent equally until I get what temp I want and leave it. Never have to adjust after that. 

Always use full pan of water, that's what stabilizes the temp so well. 

I throw a few handfuls of chips on in the beginning and than again half way through. 

I definitely learned alot today during my test smoke.  ALso smoked the best thighs ive ever had.  Pork belly as well even though i couldnt really get the temps steady.  They swang about 50 degrees throughout.  Im going to invest in some kingsford blue.  It sounds like the lump i got is a quick burn.  Probably great for chicken like i did, but wont work for when i do long smokes.  thanks for the tips!  Much appreciated!

Going to try a pork shoulder this week or this weekend for ufc 200. will report back.

oh.  so last question. Shocker.  i havent put charcoal into my smoker in hours but it is still going.  Is it ok to leave it outside in the rain until it cools down?

I'm not really sure on this. I would imagine it would be fine. 

Congrats on the cook.  :thumbup:
Thanks.  it was definitely a fun learning experience.  Thats why i tired to document it on here.  I imagine others will have similar issues on their first smoke.

FYI on Kingsford charcoal... labor, 4th and Memorial Day at Home Depot they run a two bag special for $9.... It's like 50% off normal price.  I did my first cook on Memorial Day and the following weekend and was suprised to see how much charcoal costs normally.

This from the guy who went out and bought 10 bags yesterday morning!

FYI on Kingsford charcoal... labor, 4th and Memorial Day at Home Depot they run a two bag special for $9.... It's like 50% off normal price.  I did my first cook on Memorial Day and the following weekend and was suprised to see how much charcoal costs normally.

This from the guy who went out and bought 10 bags yesterday morning!
Costco has double bags too, everyday when in stock, for around $14 if I recall correctly. 

For those new to the WSM a few tips

For you water pan, if you live in an area with relatively high humidity you do not need water in the pan for moisture.  If this is he case I highly suggest filling your water pan 3/4 full with playground sand and then cover your entire pan with heavy duty foil.  Then cover 2 more times with foil.  The first 2 layers will always be there and the third layer can be removed after a couple of cooks for easy cleanup, simply remove that 3rd layer and replace the next time you cook.  Having a sand filled heat sink will increase the time your fuel lasts as once the sand gets hot it will hold the heat for some time.

Get familiar with the minion method of loading your fuel, I would not suggest using lump for this method of cooking, using the minion method you should be able to get at least 12 hour cooks out of a full ring.

Temp control, always have the top damper wide open, use the bottom 3 to restrict air flow/temperatures,   many things can have an affect on your temps, wind, the heat of the day, rain, wet or damp fuel.

Yes you can leave the unused fuel in your WSM to burn off after you are done or you can just close all of the dampers and save it for your next cook.

For those new to the WSM a few tips

For you water pan, if you live in an area with relatively high humidity you do not need water in the pan for moisture.  If this is he case I highly suggest filling your water pan 3/4 full with playground sand and then cover your entire pan with heavy duty foil.  Then cover 2 more times with foil.  The first 2 layers will always be there and the third layer can be removed after a couple of cooks for easy cleanup, simply remove that 3rd layer and replace the next time you cook.  Having a sand filled heat sink will increase the time your fuel lasts as once the sand gets hot it will hold the heat for some time.

Get familiar with the minion method of loading your fuel, I would not suggest using lump for this method of cooking, using the minion method you should be able to get at least 12 hour cooks out of a full ring.

Temp control, always have the top damper wide open, use the bottom 3 to restrict air flow/temperatures,   many things can have an affect on your temps, wind, the heat of the day, rain, wet or damp fuel.

Yes you can leave the unused fuel in your WSM to burn off after you are done or you can just close all of the dampers and save it for your next cook.
So if i leave unused charcoal in the smoker, how does this affect the minion method when i go to cook again? 

So if i leave unused charcoal in the smoker, how does this affect the minion method when i go to cook again? 
It doesn't, treat it like new fuel and move it away from the middle of the ring.  The only thing you need to look out for is the amount of ash in the WSM, if it's high, dump your unused fuel into something, I use an empty 12 back box, dump the ashes and then proceed as usual.

If you are looking for a crowdpleaser for sides for your grilling and smoking, here are a couple of ideas:

Beans. If you are making beans, put your beans on the smoker when you are doing your ribs and put the pan under your ribs. 5 hours of those glorious juices and spices falling into your beans = pure heaven.

Home made french fries. I've been working for a couple of years to perfect the french fry that supplements my BBQ. Here is what I do, and it is a sure hit with family and friends. People come running when they hear I am making my fries. They are that good. (and really simple to do.)

1. Buy a good deep fryer. One that you get at Bass Pro Shops. Something like this.

2. Use peanut oil.

3. Cut your fries in whatever size you want. I use a Mandoline to slice mine, which makes them all uniform. Plus it's quicker when you have to make fries for 40 people.

4. You are going to fry these twice. For the first drop, heat your oil to 260 and drop your fries for 10 minutes. When done, dump into a pan with paper towels and let them cool off. I'm usually doing fries for a lot of people, so I may have 5-6 batches of these.

5. Once you are done with the first drops of 260 and after the fries are cool, heat up your oil to 350-375.

6. Fry until done - usually 10 minutes or so.

7. Remove, and while they are still wet use Lawry's or any kind of seasoning that you like. 

8. Enjoy the most delicious fries you have ever made. 

If you are looking for a crowdpleaser for sides for your grilling and smoking, here are a couple of ideas:

Beans. If you are making beans, put your beans on the smoker when you are doing your ribs and put the pan under your ribs. 5 hours of those glorious juices and spices falling into your beans = pure heaven.
Interesting idea.  What else do you put in the beans before putting them under the ribs

Interesting idea.  What else do you put in the beans before putting them under the ribs
I usually start with the plain Bushes baked beans. I usually drain the juices from the can before I put them in. The beans will get plenty of juices and fat from the ribs. I put in:

Sweet onion

Gates BBQ sauce

Green peppers

Some of my rib rub

Yellow mustard

Brown sugar

Granulated garlic

And then whatever else I can think of. I may throw in some leftover bacon from breakfast, or some rib meet, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Home made french fries. I've been working for a couple of years to perfect the french fry that supplements my BBQ. Here is what I do, and it is a sure hit with family and friends. People come running when they hear I am making my fries. They are that good. (and really simple to do.)

1. Buy a good deep fryer. One that you get at Bass Pro Shops. Something like this.

2. Use peanut oil.

3. Cut your fries in whatever size you want. I use a Mandoline to slice mine, which makes them all uniform. Plus it's quicker when you have to make fries for 40 people.

4. You are going to fry these twice. For the first drop, heat your oil to 260 and drop your fries for 10 minutes. When done, dump into a pan with paper towels and let them cool off. I'm usually doing fries for a lot of people, so I may have 5-6 batches of these.

5. Once you are done with the first drops of 260 and after the fries are cool, heat up your oil to 350-375.

6. Fry until done - usually 10 minutes or so.

7. Remove, and while they are still wet use Lawry's or any kind of seasoning that you like. 

8. Enjoy the most delicious fries you have ever made. 
I had maybe the best fries ever at my BIL's house this weekend and he did something similar to this.  He soaked his fries in cold water for a couple of hours before the first frying...said it removed some of the starch from the potatoes.  When he finished a batch he had paper lunch bags around and he'd dump these in multiple bags.  You just grabbed a bag and favorite seasoning...had Lawrys, regular salt, some Cajun seasoning and a salt and vinegar seasoning...that was my favorite.  Bags were greasy but after shaking them up with the seasoning we'd just dump them out on paper plates.  So damn good.

This will make one large tin of baked beans

2 cans Bushes Bold and Spicey beans, tall cans

4 regular size Bushes baked beans, any flavor will do

2 cups Sweet Baby Rays BBQ

1 cup Jerome Brown BBQ

1.5 cups brown Sugar

1/2 jar of molasis, small 4 ounce jar

2 green bell peppers

1 red bell pepper

2 sweet onions

1 LB smoked bacon

2 links of hillshire smoked sausage or Chorizo

1 can sliced pinapple

1/2 cup mustard

salt/pepper

penzys Cajun seasoning

I smoke the bacon and sausage first, then but it in the food processor and lightly mince, add to wet incrediants

Dice onions and pepper and do the same

Also if you happen to have any left over Brisket or Pork Butt, finely dice and add as well

You can also use the trimming from Spares if you cut them to STL style and smoke them, cube and add to the beans

Smoke for at least 4 hours

I usually start with the plain Bushes baked beans. I usually drain the juices from the can before I put them in. The beans will get plenty of juices and fat from the ribs. I put in:

Sweet onion

Gates BBQ sauce

Green peppers

Some of my rib rub

Yellow mustard

Brown sugar

Granulated garlic

And then whatever else I can think of. I may throw in some leftover bacon from breakfast, or some rib meet, or something like that.
I like this a lot. The only things I might add are a little molasses and maybe some worcestershire sauce.

Ok yall.  I need suggestions on what to smoke for my second attempt on saturday for UFC.  I not ready for anything that requires more than say 6 hours of smoking.  I was going to try chicken and something else.  any suggestions?  RIbs seem like they may be difficult for  my second smoke.  :shrug:

Ok yall.  I need suggestions on what to smoke for my second attempt on saturday for UFC.  I not ready for anything that requires more than say 6 hours of smoking.  I was going to try chicken and something else.  any suggestions?  RIbs seem like they may be difficult for  my second smoke.  :shrug:
Babyback ribs are pretty easy actually.

5 hours at 225 - 250 and you are golden. Put a nice rub on them, and for the last hour finish them off with BBQ sauce mixed with honey. Adds a nice glaze to the outside. 

5 hours at 225 - 250 and you are golden. Put a nice rub on them, and for the last hour finish them off with BBQ sauce mixed with honey. Adds a nice glaze to the outside. 
:goodposting:   Except for the BBQ sauce part. :texas:

ABTs

or these.  I have to do one or the other every time.

Hmm ok maybe i will do that then. 

Ok.  So about how many slabs of baby backs should i be able to fit on my 18 in WSM?  I do have one rib rack so that helps with the real estate. 

OK so for baby backs.  Foil or no foil?  Im seeing various recipes.  Seems alot of people put them in foil for a bit while others do not.  Thoughts from the experts?

OK so for baby backs.  Foil or no foil?  Im seeing various recipes.  Seems alot of people put them in foil for a bit while others do not.  Thoughts from the experts?
Depends on if you are looking for the fall-off-the-bone type ribs or the competition style with a little more "bite" to them IMO. With baby backs, you're not going to really see much of a stall, so I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you're looking for the super tender pull the bone right out easily style.

I like to do 3 2 1 with babybacks but my times are more like 2.5 hours smoked standing up and skewered like Mega mentioned,  1.5 hours foiled with honey and sauce and 45 minutes flat on grate.

ETA - The advantage that skewering ribs has is that cleaning metal skewers is much much easier than cleaning rib racks.

Not an expert, but I do 2.5 hours right on the grate; then apply brown sugar/honey on top of ribs then 1 hour in foil with apple juice or whatever liquid is around; last 0.5 hour back on grate and try to bump up temperature for last 30. You should try both with and without foil and see what you like.  I don't think either is wrong.

I cut baby backs in half before cooking - much easier to manuever and create space on the grates. I lose some points for presentation but oh well.

Only time I've had bad results with ribs is with too much smoke. Tough to screw up as you can just watch the bones pop out to see if they're done. Don't be a slave to the cook time. If they finish earlier then you want, wrap in foil and stick in cooler and they'll stay warm.

I used to be a foil man but have gotten away from it, mainly because foil can make them too juicy if you are not careful. I like the meat to hang onto the bone while cutting, plus they are easier to eat in my opinion.

But if you are gonna do foil, definitely no longer than an hour like Jax and Brony have stated. And I do have a friend who has started using the brown sugar in the foil like Brony does, but he uses butter instead of honey. Damn good.

For Baby Backs I do 2.5 hours on the smoker about 250 with just whatever rub you like.  I then wrap in foil with apple juice and margarine for a little over an hour.  Then pull out of the foil for about 45 minutes to firm the bark back up and saucing at the end.  So my method is more like the 2.5-1.25-.75 method.  I've found the 3-2-1 method is just a little too long for baby backs and foiling...they are just falling off the bone by the end.  Everyone cooks a little different and every smoker is just a little different so you just need to experiment and try different things until you find out a combo that you like.  Also I'd recommend apple or cherry wood for ribs.

Also I cut my ribs into half racks and can get 4 full racks (2 at each level) on the 18...and that's just laying them flat without racks so you could easily add a few more with rib racks.

Anybody familiar with Sous Vide.  I have been using this method to do tri-tips and they come out very tender and the best I have had.  I cook them at 132 F for about 30 hours and then sear over a hot grill for a couple minutes per side to get the crust on the outside.  It is a perfect medium rare and cuts with a fork.  Awesome.

Ok so i think i will try without foiling then and next time try with foiling and see which i like better.
I just did 3 racks (2 baby back, 1 st. louis) on my 18".  I had 3 halves on each rack.  I have a rib rack, but I foil (with apple juice), so using the rack is out.  I haven't tried them without foil because they come out so freaking good with the 3 2 1 (modified) method.

Users who are viewing this thread