What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I tried Kingsford Competition and didn't like it. It's cleaner with fewer binders that burns hotter. For long cooks, it didn't last nearly as long.

That is just my experience using it in a WSM. Weber actually recommends kingsford blue for wsm over lump and other hotter burning coals. Results may be different in a BGE or other ceramic cooker.
good to know....I have the WSM...not cool enough to have the BGE....my FBG pockets aren't as big or deep.

I tried Kingsford Competition and didn't like it. It's cleaner with fewer binders that burns hotter. For long cooks, it didn't last nearly as long.

That is just my experience using it in a WSM. Weber actually recommends kingsford blue for wsm over lump and other hotter burning coals. Results may be different in a BGE or other ceramic cooker.
Interesting - I've been using the competition, and it does give me trouble keeping temp below 240-250. Might pick up some blue while I'm out today. 

That's interesting as I get the opposite result in my WSM, I get more consistent temps and longer cooks than regular. I can consistently get anywhere from 200-250, it's all about the vents. I am often cooking with one vent closed and the other two just barely open. When I'm doing poultry I can get to 350 plus. These temps are not from the lid though that thermometer is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a lot of airflow. If I'm doing pulled pork, one vent close to a wall is totally open and the other 2 halfway. Top vent open of course.

so whats everyone got goin this weekend?  Im going to try some whole chickens for the first time.  Just bought an injector.  Can i brine by injecting and then letting it sit for a period of time?  Anyone done this?  Or do you typically inject right before putting it on the smoker? 

Was going to inject with chicken broth or soy sauce or something salty. 

PinkydaPimp said:
so whats everyone got goin this weekend?  Im going to try some whole chickens for the first time.  Just bought an injector.  Can i brine by injecting and then letting it sit for a period of time?  Anyone done this?  Or do you typically inject right before putting it on the smoker? 

Was going to inject with chicken broth or soy sauce or something salty. 
All poultry I brine traditionally, no injections.

So i decided to do a test since i have two whole chickens. One is dry brining and will be dry rubbed. THe other has been injected with a mix of chicken broth, hot sauce and my homemade rub. Will be dry rubbed before placing on the smoker. Letting them both sit for about 4 hours prior to smoking.

pics to come.....
Suggest spatchcocking them

Got a 16 pound Prime packer brisket going tomorrow along with a 12 pound pork loin and a bunch of wings that will be smoked then fried.

Brisket will be straight up Franklin method, Pork Loin has been in brine for a couple days and will be rubbed with Memphis dust and smoked probably 3-4 hours until it hits around 140.

Quick brine on the wings in the morning and have my patented Hatch Green Monster wing sauce prepped.

Got a 16 pound Prime packer brisket going tomorrow along with a 12 pound pork loin and a bunch of wings that will be smoked then fried.

Brisket will be straight up Franklin method, Pork Loin has been in brine for a couple days and will be rubbed with Memphis dust and smoked probably 3-4 hours until it hits around 140.

Quick brine on the wings in the morning and have my patented Hatch Green Monster wing sauce prepped.
Can you post the franklin method? I could probably google it, but would love some first hand experience with what you are doing.

Chiming in on wings...

Slow smoke for an hour or more at standard 225 until you see the meat starting to pull.  Then finish them in some very hot oil in a cast iron skillet for a few minutes.  You'll get the smoke flavor and tender meat with the crispy skin fried texture.  Obviously you can sauce them however you want, but some butter and original Frank's red hot is my go to. 

Chiming in on wings...

Slow smoke for an hour or more at standard 225 until you see the meat starting to pull.  Then finish them in some very hot oil in a cast iron skillet for a few minutes.  You'll get the smoke flavor and tender meat with the crispy skin fried texture.  Obviously you can sauce them however you want, but some butter and original Frank's red hot is my go to. 
I need to try this. 

Franklin Method

Start with high quality Prime brisket.

Trim aggressively to get even and aerodynamic with maybe 1/4" fat cap.

Season liberally with salt & pepper only.

Let warm up for 1 hour before putting on smoker.

Smoke in offset smoker at 250-275 over Oak (preferably Post Oak).

Spritz occasionally with beer, apple juice, broth, whatever.  I like using a nice Amber or Irish Red.

After brisket pushes through stall remove and wrap in unwaxed butcher paper and put back on smoker.  Continue to cook until probe slides through meat with very little resistance.  You'll notice the flat gets done first and then the point.  200-210 is normally the finishing temperature but go by feel not temp.  Temp is just a guide.

Rest 1 hour wrapped in beach towels, moving blankets, etc. in cooler.

Slice against the grain about pencil thick.  Pay attention that the muscles run in different directions so the flat will be sliced on a different bias then the point. Slicing it correctly is very important.  Just like Fajitas.

Does anybody use lump charcoal like Royal Oak? I typically use Kingsford charcoal but am thinking about trying out lump. 

Does anybody use lump charcoal like Royal Oak? I typically use Kingsford charcoal but am thinking about trying out lump. 
I have both.  Royal Oak is good.  Usually burns hotter than kbb.  I like the taste off Royal oak better as well. But for longer cooks, you will get more out of the kbb. 

My only knock on royal oak is if you get a bag where the pieces are all broken up. 

Went to the butcher this AM with a plan in mind until I bumped into 10 lbs of chicken quarters for $.35 a lb and baby backs for $1.99 lb!

I thought it was going to be a beef day but at those prices friends and neighbors will have to deal.

You are going to make me go get some ribs!

BTW the butt came out nice!  clean bone, moist!  nice job.
Thanks Pinky, my WSM deserves most of the credit. My sister requested ribs so she is getting one rack and some pulled pork. I'm gonna give my dad a half rack and some pork, and a half rack for me. 

Getting ready to start some mac n cheese and some baked beans.

Have some chicken legs on now. Have some thin sliced breast meat to grill for the kids, legs will need at least another 30 minutes. 

Made an Alabama bbq sauce for half the chicken.

Low and slow.

Thanks Pinky, my WSM deserves most of the credit. My sister requested ribs so she is getting one rack and some pulled pork. I'm gonna give my dad a half rack and some pork, and a half rack for me. 

Getting ready to start some mac n cheese and some baked beans.
Sounds like a great way to spend the day!  And yes the WSM makes it so easy.

After your post i ran out and grabbed two racks of baby backs and some sausage for tomorrow.  Thought we were going to get a hurricane but since its going off to sea...... lets smoke!

msommer said:
Having grown up in Georgia and gone to school in North Carolina, I've always enjoyed a thinner, vinegar-based barbecue sauce with pulled pork.  As Myron Mixon says, "you gotta have that tang!"  This "Western Carolina"-style sauce retains the heavy vinegary character of traditional Carolina vinegar-based sauces, but adds a bit of ketchup to provide a little more balance, color, and viscosity.  I decided to infuse the base sauce with some grilled honey-glazed peaches to add some natural sweetness and fruit character.  I think the sauce has a nice balance of tanginess, spiciness, and sweetness.  Here's the recipe:

3 cups of apple cider vinegar

1.5 cups of ketchup

0.5 cup of apple juice 

1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper flakes

1 cayenne pepper (diced)

2 tablespoons of sugar

2 teaspoons of salt 

2 teaspoons of black pepper 

A few pinches of barbecue rub

A couple cloves of garlic (pressed/diced)

3 peaches 

Honey

Combine all of the ingredients, except for the peaches and honey, in a pot over low heat.  Cut the peaches up, glaze them with honey, and then grill them until the honey caramelizes and they get some nice grill marks on them.  Then I just put the peaches right into the sauce, crushed them with a wooden spoon, and then let everything simmer together for about an hour.  Then, I strained the peaches out of the sauce and added a couple more pinches of red pepper flakes to replace those that got strained out.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I do....Royal Oak actually.  I'll use a little bit of it with my Kingsford and the minion method....it burns hotter than the kingsford though.

So i got 2 racks of baby backs.  Last time i never wrapped them.  This time im going to do one rack the same way.  And another rack i will try the 2-2-1 method and wrap after about 2 - 2.5 hours with apple juice, brown sugar, maybe some hot sauce), let it go for another hour, then sauce for another hours. 

I do have a question about this.  after taking it out of the foil will it be a bit wet for me to sauce? 

So i got 2 racks of baby backs.  Last time i never wrapped them.  This time im going to do one rack the same way.  And another rack i will try the 2-2-1 method and wrap after about 2 - 2.5 hours with apple juice, brown sugar, maybe some hot sauce), let it go for another hour, then sauce for another hours. 

I do have a question about this.  after taking it out of the foil will it be a bit wet for me to sauce? 
Mine wasn't real wet. I didn't add apple juice though. There were some juices in the foil though but it enough to hinder any sauce. I took mine out of the foil, placed on a sheet pan, took back outside and placed back on the smoker, sauced directly on the racks, and brushed. Here are a couple of pics.

Directly out of the foil

sauced

You don't need to sauce for the full final hour - Just the last 20 minutes or so....

Have a 10 lb prime brisket on the WSM. Started off using pecan but ran out so substituted in some hickory. I had been using salt and pepper only as a rub but today tweaked it some:

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup black pepper

1/4 cup turbinado sugar

2 T garlic powder

2 T onion powder

Anybody use a brisket mop and have a good recipe?

In The Zone said:
Basically I used this recipe but I always change up the cheese but everything else like eggs, butter, evaporated milk I stick to the recipe.

The one above I just used Colby/Jack and Sharp Cheddar, but like I said I always change up the cheese.
Thanks 

Pulled off two of the half racks.

this was not foiled. its the smallest half rack. meat is pulling a bit more than preferred. Was very probe tender though.

This one was foiled(its bigger than the previous one)

http://i.imgur.com/FncpcJw.jpg?1

We decided that the non foiled ones were more flavorful.  Maybe it was the fact we didnt lose as much rub or it took more smoke and had better bark.  So i will probably not foil in the future.  Twas a great experiment.
Looks great! :thumbup:   Thanks for sharing the results of your noble experiment! 

Game day menu for Sunday

Wings

Burgers

home fries

onion rings

closed on Sunday chicken sammys

shroom caps

sausages

Been a long time coming

i've been using a masterbuilt electric smoker which i really enjoy but would like to upgrade to a more "real" smoking experience....

been looking at the http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/

the price is awesome and i can't find much negative in the reviews...any thoughts for you guys??

The WSM 18.5 is 300 and fills the needs for smoking for most families.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

ETA- It's my understanding that the WSM 22.5 uses considerably more charcoal. So if you're not maxing out the space....
+1.  I got the 18.5 earlier this summer and im very happy with it.  I have also heard that the 22.5 burns more fuel.  Unless you are cooking for really large crowds regularly, you should be ore than fine on the 18.5.

anyone have a recipe for a sauce that will cover all sorts of BBQ?
We us this on a lot of stuff - below makes about a quart, so size up/down as needed 

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]4 C[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Cider vinegar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 C[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Ketchup[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]¼ C[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Brown sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]¼ C[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Worcestershire[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]2 T[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Salt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]2 t [/SIZE]Cayenne

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]2 t[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Black pepper[/SIZE]

Combine and simmer for 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread