What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Stupid question. Actually stupid me. So making ribs 3-2-1 method. I smoked what I thought was 2 racks three hours. Turns out two racks were stuck together so instead of two racks I have three. Of the two that were stuck together obviously they each have a half  that did not get smoked. My question is if I foil them and proceed to cook them for an additional 2 hours will the two racks that were stuck together be cooked completely?  

Thx

Stupid question. Actually stupid me. So making ribs 3-2-1 method. I smoked what I thought was 2 racks three hours. Turns out two racks were stuck together so instead of two racks I have three. Of the two that were stuck together obviously they each have a half  that did not get smoked. My question is if I foil them and proceed to cook them for an additional 2 hours will the two racks that were stuck together be cooked completely?  

Thx
my guess is the ones that were stuck together will take longer as a result.  how much longer really depends on what temp your cooking at and how big they are.  bend and toothpick tests are good tests for doneness. 

PinkydaPimp said:
my guess is the ones that were stuck together will take longer as a result.  how much longer really depends on what temp your cooking at and how big they are.  bend and toothpick tests are good tests for doneness. 
What's the toothpick test?  Also I do have my thermapen. Do you know what internal temp should be?  Oh and thank you ?

I have two tri-tips going in the oven with santa maria rub.  Also dry brined for a few hours.  Not smoking today due to the weather.  :shrug:

Now bring on the fights!  :boxing:

I made some ribs tonight. Cooked in oven for two hours, then smoked for 1 1/2 hours. They turned out really good. 

http://imgur.com/Qo8Zrmu

http://imgur.com/HYHkR7P
OK, why would you do this? Or at least, why would you to it in that order? Once the meat hits 140-160 degrees on the outside, it won't take on any smoke. Baking like that seals the ribs off from the smoke. Maybe reverse the order next time?

they came out great but now im spoiled.  Cant eat meat if it hasnt been smoked anymore
Which is why we buy umbrellas or a grill we can put in the garage or build a $17,000 roof over part of the deck with LED lighting and a ceiling fan. Now for that last one, that might be just me since I can write off said roof. But still. We must not let rain stop us from imparting smoke into our meat. 

Which is why we buy umbrellas or a grill we can put in the garage or build a $17,000 roof over part of the deck with LED lighting and a ceiling fan. Now for that last one, that might be just me since I can write off said roof. But still. We must not let rain stop us from imparting smoke into our meat. 
Here in central Jersey, we had a pretty heavy downpour late Saturday afternoon.  Started coming down just after I put the ABTs onto the smoker and really didn't clear up until I was taking them off.  I mean it was raining sideways and dripping through the fabric of my patio umbrella.  Still, our league meeting needed some ABTs, right?

Amused to Death said:
Here in central Jersey, we had a pretty heavy downpour late Saturday afternoon.  Started coming down just after I put the ABTs onto the smoker and really didn't clear up until I was taking them off.  I mean it was raining sideways and dripping through the fabric of my patio umbrella.  Still, our league meeting needed some ABTs, right?
This! So much this! 

OK, my weekend just got booked with a whole lot of grilling. Gonna do 10 slabs of ribs as well as a HUGE tomahawk steak for a client. Next week, I'm going to do some grilled lobsters. I've always steamed lobsters or boiled. Any advice on doing them on the grill?

OK, my weekend just got booked with a whole lot of grilling. Gonna do 10 slabs of ribs as well as a HUGE tomahawk steak for a client. Next week, I'm going to do some grilled lobsters. I've always steamed lobsters or boiled. Any advice on doing them on the grill?
1.  Half the tails

2.  Take first thirty seconds to get grill marks on the lobsters then turn over, shell side down.

3.  Pat of butter on each and cover flesh with favorite citrus and cook til done...not more than 5 minutes unless you have huge tails.

1.  Half the tails

2.  Take first thirty seconds to get grill marks on the lobsters then turn over, shell side down.

3.  Pat of butter on each and cover flesh with favorite citrus and cook til done...not more than 5 minutes unless you have huge tails.
I was thinking of trying to do this on the Traeger, but I may wait and do these on the American Muscle Grill. 

Do I brush the tails with butter or oil before applying the grill marks?

1.  Half the tails

I was thinking of trying to do this on the Traeger, but I may wait and do these on the American Muscle Grill. 

Do I brush the tails with butter or oil before applying the grill marks?
I'd do butter if I did anything.  Though I need to back up.....I should tell you this is how I do spiny lobster.....not those crappy maine lobsters ;)

Spiny lobster tend to be more sweet and tender.  Sometimes I dust with some Old Bay, but not a lot.

I'd do butter if I did anything.  Though I need to back up.....I should tell you this is how I do spiny lobster.....not those crappy maine lobsters ;)

Spiny lobster tend to be more sweet and tender.  Sometimes I dust with some Old Bay, but not a lot.
Probably going Maine here because I have a hook up there. 

TheFanatic said:
Keep the grill cover down; otherwise, they scamper off the grates.

Love this thread and the ideas I get from it! Hopefully you guys can help a smoking newb out! 

I have been smoking wings for a couple of years now and my family and everyone that eats them loves them but I see room for improvement. Here's my current rundown:

1. Brine the wings over night. Brine consists of salt, sugar, garlic, onions, a citrus fruit (whatever we have). Open to brine recipes as I normally just throw something together with what we have.

2. After the brine, I dry them off and toss them in olive oil and a rub of brown sugar, seasoned salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. My portions of my rub are about 1/2 brown sugar, 1/4 seasoned salt and a 1/4 black pepper  and red pepper flakes. With the mixing of the olive oil it turns into kind of a syrupy consistency. 

3. Smoke at 225ish for about 90 minutes. Charcoal and wood chunks. I typically do not sauce them. 

I like the heat I have but I would like a little more sweet with it. Is there another sweet to add besides the brown sugar or in place of the brown sugar that I should try? Would the brine be a place to address this?

Thanks!

I'm gonna try those pork belly burnt ends this weekend or next.  Looking forward to the Grillin Fools update on this.   I plan to follow the vindulge method, but wanted some thoughts about getting maple syrup in that braising liquid/sauce. 

I'm gonna try those pork belly burnt ends this weekend or next.  Looking forward to the Grillin Fools update on this.   I plan to follow the vindulge method, but wanted some thoughts about getting maple syrup in that braising liquid/sauce. 
I don't use maple syrup. I did beer, BBQ sauce, honey and butter. 

I plan on working on the burnt end post tomorrow. Too much sponsored stuff that I have to knock out by certain deadlines to get to it any earlier. The good news is, the pics are edited and watermarked which is huge considering I started with over 900 RAW pics of the process. All I have to do now is do the write up, edit and post. 

Love this thread and the ideas I get from it! Hopefully you guys can help a smoking newb out! 

I have been smoking wings for a couple of years now and my family and everyone that eats them loves them but I see room for improvement. Here's my current rundown:

1. Brine the wings over night. Brine consists of salt, sugar, garlic, onions, a citrus fruit (whatever we have). Open to brine recipes as I normally just throw something together with what we have.

2. After the brine, I dry them off and toss them in olive oil and a rub of brown sugar, seasoned salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. My portions of my rub are about 1/2 brown sugar, 1/4 seasoned salt and a 1/4 black pepper  and red pepper flakes. With the mixing of the olive oil it turns into kind of a syrupy consistency. 

3. Smoke at 225ish for about 90 minutes. Charcoal and wood chunks. I typically do not sauce them. 

I like the heat I have but I would like a little more sweet with it. Is there another sweet to add besides the brown sugar or in place of the brown sugar that I should try? Would the brine be a place to address this?

Thanks!
You brine in salt water and then coat with a rub that is 1/4 seasoned salt? When I brine, I don't add any more salt.

Thanks!

Agree with Fanatic about cutting out the salt for seasoning if you brine.

I like to toss my wings in a sauce and put them back on the grill/smoker for a bit just to get the sauce a bit tacky.  You could take this approach and put on something that has some sweet in it.  Maybe honey mixed with something, or a sweet chili sauce.

Heading down to Destin for a week with some friends (6 couples). The house has a decent size gas grill on a huge deck overlooking the pool and destin harbor.

Going to hit Sextons fish market and pick up a bunch of giant prawns and some lobster tails. Considering doing Chargrilled oysters as well. Perhaps a side of fish (Cobia or grouper?)... may bring cast iron so I can blacken it...... kinda weighing options now.

Feedback welcome. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread