What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Heading down to Destin for a week with some friends (6 couples). The house has a decent size gas grill on a huge deck overlooking the pool and destin harbor.

Going to hit Sextons fish market and pick up a bunch of giant prawns and some lobster tails. Considering doing Chargrilled oysters as well. Perhaps a side of fish (Cobia or grouper?)... may bring cast iron so I can blacken it...... kinda weighing options now.

Feedback welcome. :banned:
Absolutely on the oysters! Go buy a bag from one of the trawlers and load them up with cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs and butter. 

Tri-Tip for the win!
Do you ever see it called something other than a Tri Tip?  I had a Tri Tip while back and it was amazing, but I can't seem to locate them anywhere at the super markets or grocery stores.  

Or is this something that I just need to source from a local butcher? 

Heading down to Destin for a week with some friends (6 couples). The house has a decent size gas grill on a huge deck overlooking the pool and destin harbor.

Going to hit Sextons fish market and pick up a bunch of giant prawns and some lobster tails. Considering doing Chargrilled oysters as well. Perhaps a side of fish (Cobia or grouper?)... may bring cast iron so I can blacken it...... kinda weighing options now.

Feedback welcome. :banned:
Cobia for sure.  Great fish that most people haven't heard of.  They're running the east coast right now.  Not sure about the gulf. If you get lucky and see "Scamp" grab some of that.  It's a delicious type of grouper called "Captain's Choice" for a reason. Rare to find in a fish market anywhere but probably the best fish I've ever eaten by a pretty wide margin.

Love this thread and the ideas I get from it! Hopefully you guys can help a smoking newb out! 

I have been smoking wings for a couple of years now and my family and everyone that eats them loves them but I see room for improvement. Here's my current rundown:

1. Brine the wings over night. Brine consists of salt, sugar, garlic, onions, a citrus fruit (whatever we have). Open to brine recipes as I normally just throw something together with what we have.

2. After the brine, I dry them off and toss them in olive oil and a rub of brown sugar, seasoned salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. My portions of my rub are about 1/2 brown sugar, 1/4 seasoned salt and a 1/4 black pepper  and red pepper flakes. With the mixing of the olive oil it turns into kind of a syrupy consistency. 

3. Smoke at 225ish for about 90 minutes. Charcoal and wood chunks. I typically do not sauce them. 

I like the heat I have but I would like a little more sweet with it. Is there another sweet to add besides the brown sugar or in place of the brown sugar that I should try? Would the brine be a place to address this?

Thanks!
I keep my smoked wings super simple.  1:1:1 brine for a few hours at most.  Smoke until they bronze just for flavor...maybe 30-45 minutes max.  Then fry in peanut oil to crisp them up and serve with a few sauce options.

Do you ever see it called something other than a Tri Tip?  I had a Tri Tip while back and it was amazing, but I can't seem to locate them anywhere at the super markets or grocery stores.  

Or is this something that I just need to source from a local butcher? 
Go to a butcher. Grocery stores don't always carry them. I could only get them at a local butcher until I wrote an article about artisans steaks for a local magazine. Then one chain started carrying all three steaks I wrote about pretty regularly. The other chain is still hit or miss. 

I keep my smoked wings super simple.  1:1:1 brine for a few hours at most.  Smoke until they bronze just for flavor...maybe 30-45 minutes max.  Then fry in peanut oil to crisp them up and serve with a few sauce options.
Yeah, forgot to comment on this before.  Overnight is too long for wings imo.  A few hours like Ron said is better.

Go to a butcher. Grocery stores don't always carry them. I could only get them at a local butcher until I wrote an article about artisans steaks for a local magazine. Then one chain started carrying all three steaks I wrote about pretty regularly. The other chain is still hit or miss. 
You aren't kidding hit or miss, Tri tips are like the holy grail.  I called 4 butcher shops around me and no luck.  Just ordered them online to have them here for the 4th of July weekend. 

Now I know when I see them in the meat counter to buy them up. 

You aren't kidding hit or miss, Tri tips are like the holy grail.  I called 4 butcher shops around me and no luck.  Just ordered them online to have them here for the 4th of July weekend. 

Now I know when I see them in the meat counter to buy them up
Exactly. Easily feed 6 adults on one of them for less than $30. I try to keep a couple on hand at all times 

So I bought a 8 lb tri tip..... I think I cut off 5 lbs of fat.

still a juicy chunk of meat under it and I'm looking Forward to seeing the results 

When you know you are doing it right......

*shaking big zip lock bag of oil garlic potato onion pepper 3 diff salts paprika pepper* if that breaks and hits me in the face I'm going to throats punch you..... - Mrs ref.

firing up the rec tec for some new yorks and salmon....also foiled some cut potatoes and sweet peppers...still learning the pellet grill temp/time stuff...

Now I know when I see them in the meat counter to buy them up. 
Trader Joe's seems to always have them. 

Do you guys let meat (sausages, boneless chicken, pork chops) come to room temp before hitting the grill?

20 mins on the counter...30?

I usually do with everything except steak, because I'm only trying to get beef to med rare anyway. Am I correct here?

Do you guys let meat (sausages, boneless chicken, pork chops) come to room temp before hitting the grill?

I usually do with everything except steak, because I'm only trying to get beef to med rare anyway. Am I correct here?
personally i dont think it makes much difference either way.  I have read of people not bringing steak to room temp to get more smoke on it.  Usually my meat sits on the counter while im getting my smoker prepped.  Thats about it.

personally i dont think it makes much difference either way.  I have read of people not bringing steak to room temp to get more smoke on it.  Usually my meat sits on the counter while im getting my smoker prepped.  Thats about it.
I always leave my spares on the counter for an hour or so after applying rub.

I'm talking before grilling, not smoking

No.  I prefer not to give listeria, salmonella, and e.coli a chance to culture. Solid beef, like a steak or brisket I do allow to sit out up to maybe an hour before cooking.  With a brisket, it mostly just helps control temperature in the smoker.  

I did 12 slabs of ribs on Saturday to get a mountain or ribs pic. The pile only fell over once. 12 is my new record. 9 was my old record. All that for one pic!

I also did a massive tomahawk. 

Tonight should be absolutely epic! My American Muscle Grill arrives. On top of that, two people from the company are coming with it to demo the grill and cook on it for the inaugural cook. I will be streaming live on Instagram most of the evening. 

I don't leave sausages or chicken. I do usually with steak and chops. I feel that steaks that are too cold don't get that beautiful red color when that properly thawed steaks get. 

I don't leave sausages or chicken. I do usually with steak and chops. I feel that steaks that are too cold don't get that beautiful red color when that properly thawed steaks get. 
I watched an episode of triple d awhile back. The chef at whatever place they were at said he always let's boneless breasts come to room temp before grilling because he thought they grilled more evenly and quickly

The Ref said:
There were two of them in the package... and of course they packaged them fat cap to fat cap.
That makes a ton of sense. In my experience, the pre=packaged ones are well trimmed. The store packaged ones are at least a half pound of fat that has to be taken off. 

I never purposely allow meat to set out before cooking.  I can't picture any significant difference coming from this, given everything else that goes into a cook.  If there is any question if it matters to your palate, doing a test/control on this would be so easy to do. 

Got the new American Muscle Grill last night. Whhhhoooooo doggy! What a cooker. We filled the trays with various combos of fuel. One with a log from the fire place, one with big chunks of smoke wood, one with a bunch of lump and one chunk of smoke wood and one with a bunch of smoke wood and a little lump. It had all that fuel lit and ready to go in about 5 minutes. The fireplace log took a couple minutes longer. 

So damn impressive. I wasn't sure it would work as advertised, but I have to say I was blown away by that grill. Anybody want to buy a used Char-Broil?

For smoking on a gas grill, can/should I just put oak chunks directly on the flavorizer bars of a Weber grill and do indirect grilling from there (for a tri tip)?  Would the oak chunks need to be wrapped in foil or just put the chucks on all by themselves?

For smoking on a gas grill, can/should I just put oak chunks directly on the flavorizer bars of a Weber grill and do indirect grilling from there (for a tri tip)?  Would the oak chunks need to be wrapped in foil or just put the chucks on all by themselves?
When smoking on a gas grill, I usually put the wood chips in a foil pouch and poke a couple holes in it. Then place the pouch on the burner. The pouch does a couple of things. Makes it easier to position the chips so close to the heat source and keeps the ash contained. Ash plus grease is not a good combo in a gas grill. 

Also, you could use chunks, but might be harder to get smoke from the chunks as the foil insulates. Don't soak the wood. If you do, then the it will take forever to get smoke. 

When smoking on a gas grill, I usually put the wood chips in a foil pouch and poke a couple holes in it. Then place the pouch on the burner. The pouch does a couple of things. Makes it easier to position the chips so close to the heat source and keeps the ash contained. Ash plus grease is not a good combo in a gas grill. 

Also, you could use chunks, but might be harder to get smoke from the chunks as the foil insulates. Don't soak the wood. If you do, then the it will take forever to get smoke. 
So you'd suggest I break up the chunks into more chip-like pieces?  If so, about what size?  Something like ice cubes?

Last question - does this foil pouch go on the direct side burners or the indirect side burners?

Thanks for the info.

So you'd suggest I break up the chunks into more chip-like pieces?  If so, about what size?  Something like ice cubes?

Last question - does this foil pouch go on the direct side burners or the indirect side burners?

Thanks for the info.
Since the Fanatic left the thread.....  Yes, chip-like pieces like gardening mulch.

Pouch goes on top of burners/flavorizer bars of the direct side.

Thanks for the info.
I would't break up the chunks. I would have some chips ready if the chunks don't light.

And foil pouch goes right on the hot burner, not the cold

Never done this before but now that I have, there is no turning back.  Put my special blackened rub on a nice piece of wild salmon and with that, added to heads of romaine lettuce cut in half and drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and grilled those suckers for 4-5 minutes per side.  What a nice touch on the classic Caesar salad, which is the perfect base to a savory piece of blackened salmon.  

I would't break up the chunks. I would have some chips ready if the chunks don't light.

And foil pouch goes right on the hot burner, not the cold
I've never been able to get chunks to smoke on a propane grill while keeping the temp low enough to "smoke" the food.  Chips work much better in this set-up IMO.

General Malaise said:
Never done this before but now that I have, there is no turning back.  Put my special blackened rub on a nice piece of wild salmon and with that, added to heads of romaine lettuce cut in half and drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and grilled those suckers for 4-5 minutes per side.  What a nice touch on the classic Caesar salad, which is the perfect base to a savory piece of blackened salmon.  
What is your "special" blackened rub?  I usually do a glaze of olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, dill.

Sure, Picanha is sirloin but from the other end and with a huge wide strip of fat on the outside. Strange to call it that. 

Link to a basic tri tip recipe.

Tri Tip Tacos. One of my faves. It also shows how to smoke on a gas grill
Technically, Picanha is the tip. It should weigh less than three pounds (2 1/2 is a good size to go for), if it gets heavier than that you're paying for an inferior cut.

You start carving from the tip where the grains are lengthwise. somewhere close to half eay down the roast, the grains start going across, so you have to rotate and slice lengthwise.

The tip, the first maybe one and a half, two inches is called "Picanha nobre" in Brazilian churrascarias (it means noble picanha). It is extra succulent.

Veal picanha is the bomb if you like tender - I prefer beef for more taste.

ETA: I found this link with other names for the tri tip

But from personal experience I can attest that in Argentina a Picaña is a picanha which is generally known as rumpsteak and sits at the behind end of the sirloin. Don't know about Mexico, but Peru is the same a Argentina

Last edited by a moderator:
greedygoat said:
I've never been able to get chunks to smoke on a propane grill while keeping the temp low enough to "smoke" the food.  Chips work much better in this set-up IMO.
This has been my experience too for the most part. The one and only time chips have been useful. 

Sort of a big weekend coming up. Actually, I believe the 4th of July is the biggest grilling weekend of the year. What's on the menu fellas?

Sort of a big weekend coming up. Actually, I believe the 4th of July is the biggest grilling weekend of the year. What's on the menu fellas?
I only have a Weber Genesis gas grill, but I'm thinking of taking my first stab at doing a tri tip soon on it following the directions from the video you posted about the tri tip tacos. Once I get my basketball tourney schedule for the weekend I'll be able to determine if I have enough time at home to go for it this weekend, or if it will be a post 4th of July experimenting.

I only have a Weber Genesis gas grill, but I'm thinking of taking my first stab at doing a tri tip soon on it following the directions from the video you posted about the tri tip tacos. Once I get my basketball tourney schedule for the weekend I'll be able to determine if I have enough time at home to go for it this weekend, or if it will be a post 4th of July experimenting.
keep us posted on how that comes out!

So i picked up some burgers from my butcher.  they are basically 80% ground beef and 20% ground bacon.  Was thinking instead of making burgers to just combine and make a meatfloaf.  If i were to do this, how long would i smoke it?

Users who are viewing this thread